The Oaks & Irish Oaks

Ground worries? I was waiting until the week of the race. I`d rather have 9/2 then than 6s now.

Sure... I started off by saying she'd need something better than fast and I make you right 9/2 then would be better than 6/1 now. Only trouble with that is that I can see her going much shorter assuming the ground comes her way on the day. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she ends up a rather short-priced favourite in that circumstance.

Downer. After the hit i`ve taken on Overdose and my liabilities on the Derby I was reluctant to get involved with RV at this stage. I think they`ll be plenty of lay monkeys on Betfair out to get her though.

Downer. After the hit i`ve taken on Overdose and my liabilities on the Derby I was reluctant to get involved with RV at this stage. I think they`ll be plenty of lay monkeys on Betfair out to get her though.

You may well be right about that. You can console yourself with the fact that you can't get any more 6s out of the bookmakers anyway... I'd hate you to lose the 5s as well though.

If you can't do better on Betfair (although you probably will) think about averaging out - i.e. have a bit of your target stake on now at 5s and do the best you can closer to the day.

The Stoute filly won as expected at Sandown last night. But I see nothing to put us off Gosden's good filly.

I think Rainbow view could be 5/6 pounds better than the rest as things stand.

With regard to having a bet on her, for me it comes down to the simple question - does she have a better chance than 1 in 6? That makes it very easy to back her now. As Steve said, I think she could go off quite short, perhaps around 3/1.

I'm struggling for an angle into the Oaks, aside from the fact I think Midday is a shocking price and has to improve by about a stone, and Perfect Truth is probably a bit overpriced. I'm not sure the latter is going to have to do a whole lot more in front than she did at Chester.

This is like 1994 all over again. For Sariska and Midday read Bulaxie and Bonash. For Rainbow View read Balanchine, a filly with classic form and an American pedigree not guaranteed to stay the 12f. I suppose the Goldolphin animal ran better in her Guineas but it was a weaker renewal where the first never won again and the third didn`t train on. Mehthaaf was a different filly later on.

That`s my angle.

This is like 1994 all over again. For Sariska and Midday read Bulaxie and Bonash. For Rainbow View read Balanchine, a filly with classic form and an American pedigree not guaranteed to stay the 12f. I suppose the Goldolphin animal ran better in her Guineas but it was a weaker renewal where the first never won again and the third didn`t train on. Mehthaaf was a different filly later on.

That`s my angle.

A pretty persuasive one I'd say... I can't see past the winner that sticks out like a sore thumb either.

Oaks looks wide open this year and given Oh Goodness Me's breeding and how well she just ran in the Irish Guineas, 33s looks a bit big.

I don't think Rainbow View will get the trip nor do I think she is good enough.

I agree, or rather I think she was a terrific 2yr old but I don't think she is going to win anything big this season, certainly not over 12flgs. I think others may be improving past her now - and there may be one lurking in the margins, like last year.

I found Look Here by leaving my decision til the week of the race, and got it right as the going suited her. I'm doing that again this time!

I don't see a Danehill Dancer winning an Oaks

Ice Queen came within a nose of winning an Irish Oaks last season and she was by Danehill Dancer....Agains dam is from the family of Montjeu as well.

Plenty thought Danehill wouldnt get Derby winners before Desert King won the Irish Derby.

Sure... I started off by saying she'd need something better than fast and I make you right 9/2 then would be better than 6/1 now. Only trouble with that is that I can see her going much shorter assuming the ground comes her way on the day. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she ends up a rather short-priced favourite in that circumstance.

Ground currently forecast to be on the soft side of good, which would be perfect for Rainbow view. Although it is still quite a few days away and of course it could change, I imagine now is the time to be backing Rainbow view at 9/2. One of the standout bets of the season.

Ice Queen came within a nose of winning an Irish Oaks last season and she was by Danehill Dancer....Agains dam is from the family of Montjeu as well.

Plenty thought Danehill wouldnt get Derby winners before Desert King won the Irish Derby.

Irish classics generally are not run at the same pace or intensity as those in England.

Back