The Pointing Thread

12 point profit to level stakes Martin. Well done. Completely forgot about the card because of the Irish meeting but you're golden on those old boats.

Cheers guys - glad some of you were on :)

There's a similar card coming up at Folkestone on 17th May, South East Area Hunts Club Meeting and since that's "my" area so to speak there should be some good bets to be had there.

Martin

Well I never,hard to believe that is the same Silver Story I saw get well stuffed (struggling when brought down) in a bad novice hurdle at Fakenham a year ago to the day.
Mind you bit of difference between that and a hunter chase at Chelters.
Goes without saying what a legend of the scene Amicelli is and as mentioned before saw him and indeed Special Portrait win at Sheriff Hutton back in January.
Always guaranteed to see something finishing from way out of their ground on the card each year and would imagine there was some squeaky bum action from the in running layers in the closing stages of the four miler.

Last edited:
Well done Martin, haven't had much time to contribute or peruse the form lately unfortunately. Great stuff with the last fella though...as always!

Good HC at Kelso today with Abragante making the market - given he's a fast ground horse he's definitely worth opposing today and with no form on "soft" ground for 5+ years he looks vulnerable to a proven soft ground horse despite him having the best overall form going into the race.

Call Me Mulligan looks the most likely to take advantage of any chinks in the favourites armour and the race he won LTO at Mordon is working out well with Monogram having won his two previous starts and Oedipe winning on Monday, the ever capable John Dawson again takes the ride and providing his jumping holds up (made a bad mistake when PU at Dalton Park in March) he should be hard to beat, he's currently a best priced 7/2.

Martin

I will be wading in on CMM now that Itzacliche is a NR. 2's is extremely fair; as you said, if he stands up he'll win.

Pity that, ground must be bad... suppose with so many NR's it made the management's mind up for them.

Looking at the entries for Sat it looks like it could be a decent contest. Hopefully the young unexposed hunters will show up, could be something interesting amongst them!

Anyone in the South West who fancies some evening race this Wednesday the only evening midweek P2P of the year takes place at Cothelstone which I believe is in Somerset, it's always good racing and looking at the entries there's a good chance the current 7 race card could become 8 or 9 on the day.

Martin

Anyone in the South West who fancies some evening race this Wednesday the only evening midweek P2P of the year takes place at Cothelstone which I believe is in Somerset, it's always good racing and looking at the entries there's a good chance the current 7 race card could become 8 or 9 on the day.

Martin

Good HC action tonight - like the look of Sir Bathwick (CD winner) in a match bet @ 5/6 with Special Occasion. SO was tailed off LTO at Cheltenham and was arguably lucky to beat the selection at Larkhill before that, SB likes to front run and should get an easy time of it in front whilst SO regularly gets outpaced over regulation fences, there's been support for SO today but I really don't see why as even in the 3 horse race he won at Larkhill he was tailed off part way through the race, I'd expect more of the same today and with SB unlucky to come down when lying second at Perth LTO I think he will have the measure of Special Occasion this afternoon. The only major doubt is the form that SB showed after his run at Perth last season in as much as it deteriorated badly when finishing tailed off as an odds-on favourite at Folkestone.

Not a lot going on at Southwell as most of the prices look about right - will be place laying Unowatimeen though at around 7/4, this is a horse who needs a real stamina test to be seen to best effect and he won't get that here, he always does his best work late on and is taking on 3 genuine 2-2 1/2m Hunter Chasers in I Have Dreamed, Rash move and The Polomoche whilst Risk showed good form at the trip LTO and would also be in the running for a place IMO, 3m+ and soft/heavy ground like he had at Haydock is what is needed for Unowatimeen.

Martin

Well Special Occasion was badly outpaced as usual - though did stay on and Sir Bathwick pulled up so the match bet went down.

The place lay of Unowatimeen came good in very sad circumstances as the horse took a fatal fall at Southwell :(

Martin

There doesn't seem to be as many unexposed hunters coming through this year Martin? Any particular reasons to your mind?

Unsure on that one - I think Romany Ryme is worth backing at 11/4 today to beat Tommysteel, similar profile to that one prior to Tommysteel's Kelso HC win and though impressive that was the first time he'd shown anything like the form needed to win a HC (RR is actually rated higher than Tommysteel was prior to that) and with HC having won a 2 1/2m Maiden and easily followed up in a Restricted he looks the one to be with today. Currently Romany Ryme is 11/4 with Boylesports and Paddy Power.

There'll always be a few coming through - Findlays Find is the most notable and there's Rumbury Grey and co too but with RG scooping a lot of the Novices HC's this season many have been put off I think, there's also been a number of cancellations due to the weather but we'll see where we are at the seasons end regarding the future HCers.

Martin

As you've pointed out, FF is being campaigned too aggressively. The horse will eventually sour. Maybe it's nostalgia but I don't think the quality of the hunters is what it was. There was a few interesting one's entered up for Hexham last weekend but the weather changed all that. Anyway, I'll be plumping with your selection today...11/4 is fair.

The Heart will be run on 29th May now Trefflich so the same horses should be back in on better ground, I know Jo Mason and Luci Sutcliffe were pleased about the re-scheduling.

FF is in a Handicap HC next week off 111 against Gwanako (140) - that should be fun :lol:

5:45 - Tricky contest but Little Legend @ 11/2 is a fair bet E/W with 3 places, thought he'd be second favourite myself, unexposed at this level and only doubt really is the last time I saw him was when he UR at the second at Godstone back in March, he was 2/5 favourite for a Members race that day but is the owner/trainer/riders chosen runner from 2 or 3 runners.

18:15 - Market looks about right, if anything wouldn't mind being wtih Galbally King E/W at a price and W/O the favourite, he RO last time out at Fakenham (course on the outside of the rules Chase course) early on in the race but had looked a progressive type prior to that, he's won at a flat RH course before (Cottenham) against a nice horse of John Ferguson's and at 11/4 W/O It Was Me (another East Anglia horse) he looks the value whilst 8/1 E/W looks good too.

18:50 - Ilikehimmac looks the value in this at 9/1, he ran well enough at Catsfield LTO and that was a bit of a messy race, he's been beaten by the useful Swordsman the last twice and I think he can go well in this Also convinced that Bigasabishop is a lot lot better than he's shown so far (failed to complete in 3 attempts in Restricted/Member's races in the UK), he won his Maiden in Ireland last term and was never put in the race FTO at Marks Tey whilst he patently failed to stay LTO at Parham and I think @ 22/1 there'll be worse E/W bets running today than him.

19:25 - Mid Div And Creep looks past the post IMO, really can't see her getting beaten and if pushed for another bet Arbour Hill ran a blinder under a penalty at Upton On Severn on Easter Tuesday when bolting up - the step up in trip should suit him and at 2/1 W/O the favourite I'll be getting involved with him.

19:55 - I thought the front two would be far more evenly matched in the market than they are, happy to be with Start Royal @ 9/4 as his form with Rumbury Grey looks rock solid in the context of this race, Postmaster is a proven rules horse and ran in the National LTO but SR has a course win to his name also (albeit a fortunate one IMO). Of the others Or Jaune was a fairly useful Chaser a few years ago, he was still in with a chance when falling (roughly 6 out) at Catsfield last month and he was a staying on fourth at the new incarnation of Northaw (the new track is a total mess IMO) earlier this month, he clearly retains a proportion of his old ability and should anything happen to either of the front two I could see him running into a place given that Horner Woods has a shocking jockey up and Myson will have been wired for his return in the Grissell's Members race last month at Catsfield.

20:25 - The 4/1 about Master T W/O the favourite looks the value bet to me, he was well beaten by Mount Sandel LTO but showed some very good form back in March when beating the useful fast ground mare She Is A Cracker by a narrow margin in a Mens Open, I can see him going well and with Mount Sandel having been well beaten in his only start here and also having been beaten the past twice for jockey Will Hickman (taken over the ride from concussed sister Frankie) MS looks like he's had enough for the season.

Martin

Word for word what I was going to post, Grey.
Anyway you're a full-blown legend, not a little one, Martin!

I'm glad I popped my head round.

Have you got these horses on remote control, like the old Scalextric, Irish ?

Quality post.

Brilliant again Martin :adore: - I got in from work at 3pm with the intention of using these to enhance my account - took a nap and just woke up :lol:

Thanks guys - Little Legend going in for local trainer/rider Cynthia Haydon was a great start to the night and a very well deserved victory for a small yard.

Galbally King landing the E/W money and the W/O bet helped matters too as did Mid Div And Creep winning and Arbour Hill going in for another W/O bet.

The only real disappointment of the night was Bigasabishop getting touched off for third in the 2m 5f Maiden Hunters Chase @ 50/1 having been beaten a short head, there's still more to come from him :)

Tonight I strongly fancy Silver Story E/W @ 4/1. He's an improving horse from Wales having landed a few tidy bets for followers of this thread at Cheltenham on HC night, Turko was mulish before the start that day and didn't seem to fancy jumping off with them but ran well to be second to Bradley but had a hard race in the process IMO. Massimo came back to form that same night but is an inconsistent sort in the main and I'd rather be with SS - Bradley Gibbs has been jocked off for tonight's affair but top Welsh jockey John Mathias takes over and at 4/1 he looks worth a bet to me.

Martin

The only real disappointment of the night was Bigasabishop getting touched off for third in the 2m 5f Maiden Hunters Chase @ 50/1 having been beaten a short head, there's still more to come from him :)

He just failed to get up after veering to his left in the final strides.

Back