The Pointing Thread

More HC action today courtesy of Newton Abbott and Aintree. Turko should win handily in NAbb as this time last year he was a 9/2 shot for the Aintree Foxhunters. He ran a great race in this years Cheltenham Foxhunters finishing 5th, with the 3rd and 4th placed horses having won since. I see him as a very strong favourite with Just Amazing as the only possible danger..11/10 is very fair.

In the big one, I think Gwanako is a great bet. I feel if he stands up, he will win. Former Topham winner, will go on the ground and has been kept fresh. 7/2 is also fair.

Last edited:
Good stuff there Trefflich - personally I've backed Offshore Account @ 16/1, he's run well over the big fences before and is in cracking form this season with his fortunate win LTO representing v strong form IMO with the unfit Roulez Cool in behind and multiple scorer Coombe Hill also in there, the fact he was third last year only adds to confidence and although some way behind Boxer Georg he's in far better form than that one. Wouldn't rule out Presentandcorrect either at a huge price despite his fall on the only time he's attempted the big fences, his new trainer seems to have him in grand order and at 40/1 or so there'll be worse E/W bets than him.

At Newton Abbot I like the look of Coombe Hill in the match bet with Just Amazing who's disappointed on his two starts this season whilst CH was runner-up to Offshore Account at Newbury, there's evs available about him beating Just Amazing today and that looks big to me.

Martin

Good stuff Trefflich as Turko romps home, also Coombe Hill beat Just Amazing so a good race all round (the less said about the Aintree race the better).

Martin

Thanks Martin. Don't know how close Gwanako would have got to the winner but he was going nicley when he took that heavy fall. Pity as I'd say it would have been close.

Turko won as he pleased, decent at this time of the year.

The 3m3f HC in Sedgefield looks ripe for the taking for Special Portrait. The further they went the last day the more likely he looked like winning. This trip should suit even better and I think he is nailed on. 4/5 may be skimpy but in a 4 runner race it looks value.

Two HC's to get stuck into today:

Firstly Kempton where there are two at big prices who are worth taking on the front three with, those being Qozak and Jaynes Crusader. The former was rated 140 over fences last Summer for Paul Nicholls and was subsequently sold out of that yard to join the Ruckers, he's been a bit hit and miss in his points so far and wasn't given a hard time on his debut in that sphere before a wind op which has hopefully worked. His runs since then have included a solid win, two early departures under the Galloping Granny Angela Rucker and a runner-up spot under todays jockey when stumbling going into the final fence which possibly cost him the race. He has form at shorter than this and the drop in trip is likely to suit him more than a number of others in the race. Jayne's Crusader returned to track racing with a victory in a HC at Wincanton over 2m 5f, since when he's finished runner-up in the prestigious Coronation Gold Cup at Larkhill and when struggling home on fast ground at Badbury Rings ten days ago. He has solid form in points and the HC he won this season wasn't too bad and he is capable of shaking up the front three also.

Qozak @ 16/1 (SJ)
Jaynes Crusader @ 16/1 (General)

Martin

Shocking Hunter Chase up at Hexham today and my only real opinion is that on the likely heavy ground Belon Gale will struggle to complete the course again - I'm not a fan of Simon Robinson and have to say IMO the horse will be nowhere near fit enough for a 3m+ slog round Hexham even if there are only two other opponents now that Emerald Destiny is a non-runner.

For that reason I've backed Rosemore Deja Vu @ 4/6 to beat Belon Gale and if the current W/O favourite markets remain with just the two runners in them I'll go in on Anotherbuck at anything bigger than evs.

Martin

Cheers Grey - I layed Belon Gale a place too at odds-on though the W/O market never went back up sadly.

Will look over the Towcester race later though initial thoughts are that the favourite looks very very beatable IMO.

Martin

As I said earlier I think the favourite is very beatable - I've backed two in the race:

The Nuns Legacy @ 16/1 - Was an impressive performer last season and will surely have come on for his return at Kingston Blount behind the very promising Penmore Mill, Hannah Watson is a very competent jockey and this isn't a great race so I expect him to go well.

Cherry Star @ 25/1 - I was very taken by this horses run in a Maiden last time out up at Maisemore Park, he went straight into the notebook in as much as he travelled very well in rear and made good progress to track the leaders approaching four out, he cut out from second last but showed great promise on that day IMO. The runner-up Tamara King scored last Sunday in a Mares Maiden at Clifton whilst the winner won a Restricted last Saturday and one of those who was PU that day has also won since.

Martin

Good Hunter Chase up at Perth today - really not feeling the Sir Bathwick vibe and the only positive is that he's travelling a long way to run up here and he's been put up in a match bet against the Alexander family's Commercial Express who was victorious in this race 12 months ago when beating Sir Bathwick. On the ratings I have CE is rated 5lbs superior to Sir B and in terms of jockeys I'd much rather have Mr C Alexander (1 win from 5 rides) over Katy Squires (0 from 10) given they have the same weight allowance. On to the horses and CE hasn't looked all that this season but he has been running in decent enough races in the North and in Hunter Chases at Kelso whilst Sir Bathwick was runner-up in a 3 runner Ladies race at Larkhill on firm last time he was see whilst he's been pulled up on his other two starts (both at Larkhill - which is long and RH). Neither have much form on ground this soft (CE was 4th of 8 beaten 25l on his sole start on "heavy" back in December 2006 whilst Sir Bathwick was 5th of 15 beaten 21 lengths on his only "heavy" start in January 2007). Both horses appear to be roughly the same as last season and with Commercial Express finishing a length or so in front of Sir Bathwick on that occasion he rates a bet @ 6/5 with Victor Chandler in the match today.

Martin

That bet was a void - the next Hunter Chase action comes from Cheltenham on Wednesday night and Kelso also.

Keep an eye out for Grandturgeon under rules (won a 4yo Maiden last Autumn in Ireland) as he scored his belated first victory in the UK in a Restricted the other day scoring impressively under Jane Williams.

Martin

Sadly not much time at the moment so here are my selections for tonight:

17:00 Tallanstown Boy @ 20/1. Drop in trip sure to suit and travelled v v well before his stamina gave way over 2 1/2m at Chepstow LTO.

17:35 Hameldown Tor @ 10/1. Original favourite Woodview Prince is a machine but this fellow has solid form on soft ground when winning his Restricted and though held by Benedictus on recent running he's twice the price tonight on different ground.

18:10 Massimo @ 9/1. CD winner back in 2008 and the step back up to this trip is certain to suit him, handles cut and possible to forgive his poor HC run at Wincanton earlier in the season as it wasn't long since he'd run previously.

18:45 Amicelli @ 10/1. Another CD winner this time in the big one The Foxhunters back in 2008, he's not getting any younger but won a HC at Wetherby earlier this year and goes well for Jackie Coward. He's held by Lady Myfanwy on recent running when fav but that mare has often struggled on the track and seems better suited to points. Unowatimeen will be tough to beat and Prince Massini's jockey Charly Prichard is worth keeping an eye on as she's been impressive between the flags so far.

More to follow.

19:20 Turko @ 5/2. Best form in the race from the Foxhunters and will be tough to beat.

19:50 Tirob @ 33/1. Speculative and hoping the step up in trip suits, happy to take on the front two and Horner Woods should go better with Corky Caroll up than when ridden appaulingly by Hannah Grissell in two starts at Charing.

20:20 Silver Story @ 6/1. The best bet on the card IMO and beat the Lady Dudley Cup winner Rosies Peacock in two runs in Wales this season, won his two points last season and has the very capable Bradley Gibbs taking 7lbs off. Should win.

Martin

Cheers - Tirob up there for a long way but in the end he went out very quickly whilst Turko was out done by Bradley's tremendous guts.

Selection in the last Silver Story has apparently missed work according to a Welsh bookie on Twitter but still holding out hope for him as thought he was the best bet on the card :)

Martin

Back