The Pointing Thread

Siddington

Members: Gypsy Mark - Was a surprise winner of a Restricted back in January and a bit of a concern that he's not been seen out since, he was his riders first winner that day and reportedly benefitted from a wind operation in the close season but he looks capable of stepping up on what he's shown so far though it's a tight enough race IMO.

Restricted: Fly Direct - Was impressed with his performance at Kingston Blount and he was given quite an easy time FTO for the Hill's at Charing the time before that, he looks capable of winning this.

Open Maiden: Danger Meece - Would only back this if there's any money for it but worth noting that he was very novicey on his first start and was then schooled in rear last week prior to being pulled up. Any cash would be highly significant from these connections and I'd imagine he's got a lot more ability than he's shown thus far.

Will post Brafield's later :)

Hope all pointing forumites back some winners this weekend :)
Martin

Heads up for those interested but Graham Wylie has the first horse I've noticed entered to run in an Irish P2P tomorrow at Lisronagh (Tipperary), North Square and Rollininthedeep 2 4yo Flemensfirth geldings trained by Ian Ferguson.

Martin

Last edited:
Apologies I've only been able to have quick look at Brafield for tomorrow:

Looks a very tough card but Sagalyrique (Ladies) has looked a totally different horse in his new yard ans should be tough to beat against the likes of Qozak and co, whilst Grumblers Holt (Open Maiden) would be the best bet that I can see on the card given he was placed at Brocklesby in a decent enough Maiden FTO last month whilst I expect Realt Ag Leimt to prove very hard to beat if taking up his engagement in the opening Maiden. He was placed in a Maiden Hurdle at Limerick around this time last year and finished runner-up in a good Maiden at Chaddesley Corbett back in December.

Martin

4.50 Ludlow

What was once promised to be a very good hunter chase at the entry stage, has descended into the mediocre. On the prevailing ground I cannot see Postmaster being beaten and will plump for him unless Martin can really sway me!

Agree on Postmaster - thought he'd be a lot shorter than this and at 11/8 he rates a decent bet IMO.

Good to have some HC action after a few "dry" days so to speak.

Martin

Heads up for those interested but Graham Wylie has the first horse I've noticed entered to run in an Irish P2P tomorrow at Lisronagh (Tipperary), North Square and Rollininthedeep 2 4yo Flemensfirth geldings trained by Ian Ferguson.

Martin

How did it run, Martin? Was it in the normal Wylie silks?

Neither of them ran Simon.

Astonishing SP of 11/4 for Postmaster at Ludlow - can't believe he went off that big!!!

Martin

It did indeed Grey - had him in at 8/11 when I priced it up last night, Tim Vaughan drifters don't win very often so have to make the most of them :)

Looking forward to Ffos Las tomorrow now :)

Another decent Novices HC at Ffos Las today and the first thing that struck me is that the favourite looks far too short with the second in about the right price.

Tempted to side with a youngster in this - Billy Cuckoo has solid bumper form at the track and though he's won on heavy ground in points clearly has no trouble with a sound surface. I think the drop in trip will suit him more than most in the race and he's open to plenty of improvement.

Billy Cuckoo is currently 28/1

Good luck to all and hope all jockeys and horses come back safely
smile.gif

Martin

Last edited:
Minellaformarriage appears to be another youngster who'd be suited to a drop back in trip, last run was far far more promising than anything else he's done in the UK (albeit all in Maidens), could have won LTO but for being hampered at the final fence and currently 60 on Betfair to win with a useful enough jockey up.

Already had two bets but the price about Benedictus now at 5/1 on Betfair is just silly, there's not much in it on form between the top two and I couldn't split them when pricing this up this morning, had to have a play at that price (win only).

Only 8 runners all day at Great Threthew! One race was void as no declarations.

2 walkovers (hence they didn't "run" - they walked!) 2 2 runner races, a 4 runner race and a void race (nothing declared to run) - so 10 horses in all but only 8 actually raised a gallop.

Shocking stuff at Great Trethew - the PA man at Maisemore Park seemed to take great pleasure in pointing out how few runners they'd got too, all leaves a sour taste tbf.

Backed Start Royal in yesterdays HC so not a good result, up at Maisemore the ex-Willie Mullins and Colin McBratney trained Anderson McAuley took the Maiden, Findlay's Find's trainer seems intent on running him into the ground and he got up late on under a cracking Liam Payter ride to beat long time leader Overlut in the Mixed Open whilst the disappointments of the day were surely 1/3 favourite Chiquilline (Fell behind Woodview Prince and Harbour Court two weeks ago) who was only third in the Intermediate and impressive Godstone scorer Calusa Shadow who was pulled up 3 out in the Restricted.

Martin

Good link that Granger - thanks for posting.

Also like to mention the Tom Lacey trained 4yo Maiden Tiqris (Sam Drinkwater) who was supposed to be receiving 21lbs from his elders though SD had to put up 3lbs overweight and overcame a horrendous error at the second last which brought him to a standstill to beat some useful Maidens. It's hard to put into words exactly what I saw from stood alongside (and about 50 yards back) the final fence but it's fair to say he was going twice as fast as his rivals at that stage and after being bought for 31,000gns last year he was reportedly sold immediately after the race to race out of McCain's yard or Henderson's yard depending on who you listen to.

Martin

Martin, Tiqris is entered Sat, Sun and Mon with Timmy Murphy to do the steering for Charlie Brooks!! Can I interpret from the above that he is a bumper type?;)

Cheers Rory - must have met with a setback of some description (hopefully not the usual reason that horses are "scratched") :(

Martin

According to Tom Lacey's blog Tiqris blew after working on Tuesday so won't be running this weekend but will be entered at Ffos Las and Chepstow next weekend :)

Martin

Taken something of a leap of faith with the 8/1 about Ryeman in todays HC at Towcester, with Double Mead out it looks a 4 horse race and with having doubts myself about how much ability the favourite retains and with Dunshane underpriced IMO the value lies with Ryeman who was PU in a better race than this over further on Thursday. The drop back in trip will suit and he's been a standing dish in these races for some seasons now, Josh Guerriero again takes the ride and with not a lot of strength in depth to the race he looks a good E/W bet to me.

Hoping for some match bets later on too :)

Martin

My old friend Direct Flight, who we retired from rules racing last year, came a close second at Trebudannon yesterday at the grand old age of 14.

Back