The Pointing Thread

Tonight I strongly fancy Silver Story E/W @ 4/1. He's an improving horse from Wales having landed a few tidy bets for followers of this thread at Cheltenham on HC night, Turko was mulish before the start that day and didn't seem to fancy jumping off with them but ran well to be second to Bradley but had a hard race in the process IMO. Massimo came back to form that same night but is an inconsistent sort in the main and I'd rather be with SS - Bradley Gibbs has been jocked off for tonight's affair but top Welsh jockey John Mathias takes over and at 4/1 he looks worth a bet to me.

Martin

:adore: some deductions but a winners a winner or in your case many are winners - great stuff ;)

Boll****! Betfair have applied reduction factor to my bets on Silver story but not the same on the lay. A decent win becomes neglgible

Last edited:
Fantastic once again, Martin. Unfortunately you were robbed, though. Having given Turko's mulishness at the start the last day as a reason to oppose him, you end up with a big deduction when he refuses to start.

Were it not for the race being so late to start they would have tried harder to get him to join the race.

Last edited:
Thanks guys - sorry to hear about the lay TS though providing you backed first your lay should have at least as much of a deduction as the back you placed.

Shame that Turko declined to race - wish they'd just put Sam Allwood up and then let him stand still and the race was marred by the incident with Massimo before the race.

Very good HC tomorrow at Bangor with Classinaglass taking on What A Laugh and co so should be a bet to be had in that race :)

Martin

Totally impressed with your knowledge and assessment of these events, Martin.

Unfortunately Betfair do not apply the reduction to unmatched lays at the time of withdrawal. which was not announced at the start and indeed a market on Turko continued through the race.

If the day hadn't started with me dancing on the Ceiling and got better progressively I i'd be steaming as it is it feels as though someone nicked the icing off the cake.

Thanks TS - it's not a situation I've encountered to be fair :-(

FWIW I've always been of the opinion that the marzepan tasted far nicer than the icing anyway ;)

Martin

Bit of a turn up for the books there - What A Laugh has always been very highly regarded by the Hanmer team whilst Classinaglass' form says he finished second LTO but he was actually first past the post (the judge gave the race to the wrong horse).

Martin

Good Hunter Chase at Kelso today with Abragante making a long awaited return to the track and a course he's very familiar with. He's clear on the ratings but I think the value could lie with Picabo Kid at 8/1 who was an impressive enough scorer in the fastest time of the day at Thorpe Lodge in a Confined race back in April, he beat the useful Kandelin on that occasion under young Tom McClorey and rallied gamely under pressure having been headed prior to two out. His latest run at Fakenham reads well given he'll have been tackling a trip that is too short against the formerly useful rules performer (and still a decent tool in these races) Eleazar and the ex-Irish Hurricane Carter (finished runner-up at Uttoxeter last weekend in a decent HC). As mentioned earlier in the thread I'm not a massive Johnny Bailey fan particularly on front runners but the horses guts and determination should serve him well and he's capable of shaking up the favourite, will also be backing him E/W W/O the favourite @ 5/1 with Paddy Power.

As an added aside for anyone interested - and possibly of particular interest to Grey who I know reads this thread the ex-Colm Murphy trained Clew Bay Cove won a Mixed Open P2P (8 runners) at Stafford Cross yesterday afternoon at the humongous price of 200/1, he hadn't shown much since transferring to the UK in the Winter but he should never have been that price.

Martin

Match bets are up on the race too and aside from failing to see why Beau Traveller is 100/30 and Picabo Kid 15/2 likewise why Picabo Kid is as big as 6/4 in a match bet with the former. BT's form is solid enough for Novice and Maiden Hunter Chase company with form behind Tommysteel (potentially a nice Hunter Chaser) and Highland Cathedral (no better than Picabo Kid IMO) and off level weights 6/4 is a big price about the latter who as mentioned previously has been running in better races than this.

Martin

I'd imagine he'll have a tongue tie on next time - shocking run from Picabo Kid .

Good card at Stratford on Friday night though :)

I'd imagine he'll have a tongue tie on next time - shocking run from Picabo Kid .

Good card at Stratford on Friday night though :)

It's possible he may prefer a bit of give in the ground, most horses sired by Lemon Drop Kid do - but I don't know enough about him to know if that's the case or not.

Good Hunter Chase to start the day - think that Cannon Bridge at 14yo is worth a bet in this, he won this race 2 years ago and though PU last year is back in form in 2011/12 with two solid Open victories to his name, Hannah Lewis again takes the ride and he's currently 9/1 and worth a bet IMO against I Have Dreamed who's far from certain to want this sort of trip, Lady Myfanwy who's disappointed over regulation fences in the past (including at Cheltenham earlier this month) and Rowdy Rampage who's the main danger as a winner of a Handicap Chase on a similar track to this last Summer and was also a good Ladies Open horse for Liam Lennon in Ireland prior to that.

Martin

Another good race coming up - with a number of top yards represented, think that the value lies with Ryeman and Josh Guerriero @ 12/1, he's shown signs of character in his runs this season but has run well in these very short HC's before including when beaten by Pistolet Noir in a similar race to this at Towcester and when unseating at the 11th at Cheltenham earlier this month and there's more to come from him in these races IMO, Swallow's Delight, Ronnie Ronalde, Castle Banquet and Dunshane all contested that race also and IMO there's nothing to say that any of those would have finished ahead of Ryeman - RR and SD are both half his price.

Martin

She's a lovely girl CL and will be a top trainer for the future - think her first three P2P runners as a trainer (Monkerty Tunkerty twice and the injured Rockon Xmoor all won in 2010/11) and she's still only 20 or so, just got back from Germany from rehab and already accumulating horses and outside owners for next season - she's definitely going places on the training front that's for sure :)

Martin

19:15 Stratford

The big race of the season for Novice Hunters and easily the toughest race of the day to price up, Monkerty Tunkerty was well fancied for the Foxhunters prior to picking up an injury on the eve of the race and is a deserving favourite, Rumbury Grey has been a revelation in HC's this season whilst Findlay's Find is a very decent Open pointer who's often let down by his jumping. The Irish raider Casson needs 3m++ to be seen at his best but has disappointed over regulation fences so far in his career. The one for me though is the Will Biddick ridden Lucette Annie who was beaten on her HC debut at Exeter last time out by today's rival Kirkleigh, prior to that she'd won a 4m Open beating the useful For The Staff and has proven she stays this trip very well indeed, she was also third in the hottest Intermediate run this season behind dead-heaters Keppol's Hill and Penmore Mill, I was personally disappointed that Kirkleigh beat her LTO but the experience will serve her well and Ian Chanin didn't hold back with the stick on the winner (copped a seven day ban for his trouble). Books Review was runner-up in the Cheltenham Intermediate Final and turned out quickly for the Exeter race which obviously came too soon - I'm not a massive Tom David fan but if over that he could go well at 33/1+ also whilst Kirkleigh is worth a win only bet at a similar price. Of the remainder Classinaglass would be a danger but is a 5yo taking on his elders without a weight allowance and IMO there was probably something amiss with What A Laugh at Bangor when beaten by Classinaglass.

Sorry it's so long but basically backing Lucette Annie E/W and Books Review win only but the favourite is a worth jolly and will prove v v tough to beat.

Martin

She's a lovely girl CL and will be a top trainer for the future - think her first three P2P runners as a trainer (Monkerty Tunkerty twice and the injured Rockon Xmoor all won in 2010/11) and she's still only 20 or so, just got back from Germany from rehab and already accumulating horses and outside owners for next season - she's definitely going places on the training front that's for sure :)

Martin

Do you think MT will win tonight Martin?

No worries Benny - backed Lucette Annie E/W @ 22/1, Books Review @ 38.0 and Lucette Annie W/O Monkerty Tunkerty E/W @ 14/1

Martin

Back