The Pointing Thread

Sorry Toffee been out most of the day - I'd have said I was fairly confident they'd both go in.

Good to see Moroman winning easily and Benheir putting in his best performance in some time back in second too.

Next British Hunter Chase comes on Thursday at Aintree - Warne should be hard to beat but the likes of On The Fringe, Ockey De Neulliac and Current Event also boast strong chances.

Martin

Allerford Jack – Well beaten at Taunton on his return to action after a long absence, but his old form not even good enough anyway.

Big Fella Thanks – Has run seven times around this course and only failed to complete once. His best effort in the Grand National was a 4[SUP]th[/SUP] to Don’t Push it in 2010 and he also finished 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] in the 2012 Becher Chase, whilst he was 7[SUP]th[/SUP] in last season’s Topham. Ran a really good race when a close 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to Annacotty off a mark of 135 at Cheltenham in January and then made his hunter chase debut when winning as he liked at Wincanton when beaten Neverownup. Had Derek O’Connor booked so that is a big plus and not sure there are too many here who could be 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] in a Cheltenham handicap off a mark of 135. A bold showing would not surprise.

Bobs Law – Really is back to form this season with two hunter chase wins. First he slogged it out in the Ffos Las mud when just getting the better of Universal Soldier and then won well at Chepstow beating Tugboat who boosted the form by winning at Ludlow last week. Don’t think he is up to winning this but can give his young jockey a good spin round.

Bound For Glory – Hannah Lewis gave him a fantastic ride from the front at Stratford last month as he beat a fair field easily. Jumped for fun that day so I can see him enjoying this test, the problem is I doubt he will be able to dominate this field in quite the same way. Despite that I can see him giving Hannah a great ride for a long way.

Boxer Georg – Was 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] in this in 2011 to Baby Run, but not got close to that effort in this race since and he has shown poor form this season.

Brunswick Gold – Got loose before last year’s race and was withdrawn so connections hoping he will at least start this year. Not in the same form this time around though and was well beaten at Leicester last time.

Current Event – Was pleased to get this horse right at Cheltenham as he was a duly well beaten 12[SUP]th[/SUP] after not even getting involved. As I said before that race you can pick all sorts of holes in his form and he hasn’t actually achieved an awful lot either in points or in his Musselburgh hunter chase win. What I will say though is this trip is much more suitable for him so that is certainly in his favour so I am not as against him as I was before Cheltenham. He has sometimes guessed at one in points so his jumping would by a slight worry, but he did get round in the Grand Sefton in 2013, although was a well beaten 6[SUP]th[/SUP].

Douglas Julian – A different horse this season as last year he wasn’t finishing off his races. He surprised me when winning his first hunter chase at Kelso in February and then surprised me even more when following up in a handicap back there off a mark of 110. Usually makes the running, but was well behind from the start in this last year when finishing 11[SUP]th[/SUP]. Given he is in better form this time around he might improve on that, but not enough to trouble the judge.

Earth Dream – Was 4[SUP]th[/SUP] in this last year, but a huge 26L behind Warne. Paid for trying to go with Pacha Du Polder at Ludlow last time when just getting caught for 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]. Both those runs show he has plenty to find though to even finish 4[SUP]th[/SUP] again.

Good Egg – Was beaten 41L by Last Time D’Albain at Fairyhouse last time and has no chance here.

Illusion Of Time – Was a 12L 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] in a maiden hunter chase at Downpatrick last time when 9/4f and that form way below what is needed here.

Last Time D’Albain – An interesting contender from Ireland. Was a close 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] off a mark of 137 in the Topham two years ago, but unseated at Bechers first time round in last year’s Grand National. Has had three runs this season finishing 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] in a point and then won a point before putting up a good performance to win a Fairyhouse hunter chase in February. He beat Cheltenham Foxhunter 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Carsonstown Boy that day so the form looks solid enough and he is capable of going well.

Major Malarky – Got round to finish 11[SUP]th[/SUP] in the 2013 National. Hammered weak opposition when winning a hunter chase at Kelso in February and it would have been interesting to see how he would have gone back in a handicap there at the same track last month, but he unseated at the 11[SUP]th[/SUP]. The main problem he will have is the trip as he has plenty of stamina and not hard to see him being run off his feet early on. Every chance he will be staying on at the finish, but not sure it will be enough to hit the frame.

Neverownup – Trainer caused a massive shock to win this with Silver Adonis in 2010 and it would be a pretty big shock if this one won as well. Was flattered by his proximity to Big Fella Thanks at Wincanton and only 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] at Leicester last time. Will at least appreciate the drying ground, but has plenty to find.

Nowurhurlin – A really hard horse to win with and I think his two hunter chase wins have been down to the opposition failing to perform from one reason or another rather than him being the best horse in the race. Ran well enough to finish 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to Palypso De Creek at Carlisle last time having been beaten more than that by hi at Leicester the time before. His form isn’t good enough, but if this quirky horse takes
to the fences he may outrun his form.

Ockey De Neulliac – Been a winning machine for current connections in the last couple of seasons winning 8 points and a couple of hunter chases. Those hunter chase wins last season came in good races as well winning the Walrus at Haydock and the Ladies race at Cheltenham’s hunter chase night in April. He has won four from four in points this season and although the form isn’t overly strong it proves he is still in good heart. Another who is certain to be wanting to be up there early and it will be hard for him to dominate this field the way he did at Haydock and Cheltenham. Even so he should give a bold showing.

On The Fringe – A horse whose form was more than good enough to win a Cheltenham Foxhunter, but I never thought he would because he had always struggled to stay before. Well he certainly proved me wrong with a stunning 17L win at Cheltenham. I always thought this race was more suitable for him so naturally I think he has a big chance here. It is a very hard task to do the double although Baby Run would have gone close to doing both in 2011 but for falling 2 out at Cheltenham. He has only had three runs this season so has been brought along steadily by his trainer and there has been 4 weeks between the two Festivals this year so that will help as well. The one slight concern is the fact he will be held up so he will need to avoid any trouble that happens in front of him, but granted luck in running he has a huge chance of doing the double.

Out Now – Purchased by his owner so he could have a ride over the National fences and he was impressive when beating a poor field at Warwick in January. Then came the infamous Ludlow race in February when he looked the winner until stopping to a walk on the run-in and ended up coming third. Up until that point it was a good run and he wouldn’t be a complete no hoper here, but the jockey is always going to be a massive issue especially with no experience around the course.

Pacha Du Polder – On official BHA ratings he is the highest rated horse in the race and has run two solid efforts in hunter chases this season. First up he was a good 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to Teaforthree at Bangor, where the soft ground would have been against him. Back on better ground at Ludlow he bolted up last month. That wasn’t the strongest race ever, but it showed he still held a decent level of ability. Ran in the Topham a couple of years ago but was well beaten that day so that is a slight concern, otherwise holds solid claims.

Quinz – His two wins in points have come in weak races, especially at Godstone last time when he won by two fences. Tried to give Paint The Clouds a race at Doncaster in February but was beaten 10L in the end. Didn’t exactly have an enjoyable experience round here in the 2011 National after making a mistake at Valentines and then bursting a blood vessel. Trip might be on the short side for him as well.

Rouge Et Blanc – Ran in the first hunter chase of the season when finishing 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] at Taunton. That form not good enough to win this and although he has run fair enough races in two handicaps since, that isn’t good enough form either.

Sergeant Dick – Would have won at Warwick but for jumping right that day and that has to be a massive concern around here even if he had form good enough to win. Hopefully he won’t get in others way.

Shoreacres – I thought he ran a cracker at Cheltenham, given he isn’t the strongest of stayers and the ground would have been soft enough for him. He was in contention turning for home and it was only his stamina running out which caused him to only finish 6[SUP]th[/SUP] and beaten 27L. I can’t see him reversing Cheltenham form with the winner and interestingly usual rider Hannah Lewis is on Bound For Glory. Even so he could run a big race at a big price.

Siro Demur – Really should have won at Leicester last time but his jockey didn’t kick for home when he should have done and was collared late on by El Mondo. Beat Shoreacres by 1/2L at Kempton last season although was behind Pacha Du Polder at Bangor in February. A horse I like a lot, but I think he needs shorter and will probably be outclassed anyway.

Soleil D’Avril – Had been struggling since showing good form in points in 2013, but bounced back to his best when wining well enough at Catterick last month. Even so should be nowhere good enough to win this.

Tartan Snow – Caused a massive upset when winning this in 2013 and then ran really well again last year to finish 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to Warne. Gone to new connections this season though and not shown anywhere near the same form. Ms Annabel Roberts is also not in the same league as Derek O’Connor who rode him last year and Jamie Hamilton who won the race on him. Add in the fact he is now 15 and it would be astonishing if he got anywhere near to be repeating his exploits in the last two years.

Twirling Magnet – Rated 140 and has proven he still holds plenty of ability in his two hunter chase wins this season. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened at Wetherby when he made a bad mistake and his jockey got into a bit of difficulty, possibly because the saddle slipped. He then followed that up with two very easy wins at Ludlow and Newbury beating Ballytober on both occasions although that one didn’t exactly boost the form last week. Even so I think he still holds enough ability to go close in this, but the main issue is his jumping. He fell at the first in the National last year, and as well as the mistake at Wetherby he made a pretty bad one at Newbury last time. I would be amazed if he didn’t make at least one mistake round here and if you do want to back him I suggest doing so in the faller insurance market as if he did get round he has place claims.

Vincitore – Finished 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] behind Twirling Magnet at Newbury on his seasonal debut and that was for me a personal best despite the face he won at Chepstow last season. Looked capable of winning again on the Newbury run, but it won’t be this race.

Warne – Was so impressive in this race last year having finished a close 4[SUP]th[/SUP] in 2013. Has never actually beaten On The Fringe although it should be added that he barely stays 3m and he was way too free at Punchestown in May when finishing a 22L 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] to On The Fringe in the Champion Hunters Chase. This season he has only run the once that was when comfortably winning an Irish point last month. It has to be a slight worry he has had only one start since May, but this was obviously always going to be his main target. The fact he has Sam Waley-Cohen on board is an obvious plus given how well he rides this course. He should go well again, but there are two other niggling doubts I have. First of all he managed to get a fairly easy time of things out in front last year and given the amount of probable front runners this time around I doubt that will be the case this year. Also linked to that is the fact last year’s renewal was pretty bad which is highlighted by the fact only Warne and Mossey Joe started in single figure odds. Given Mossey Joe had anything but a clear prep it could be argued he had a pretty easy task. Don’t get me wrong he is capable of winning the race for the second year running, but it will be a lot tougher.

Chosen Milan – Ran a huge race at Cheltenham, especially given she was hampered early on, to finish 21L behind On The Fringe in 5[SUP]th[/SUP] place. The Taunton win the time before was her 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] hunter chase success and she seems to be still on the upgrade. No reason why this test shouldn’t suit and can go well although clearly work to do to reverse Cheltenham form with On The Fringe.

Summary – Fair to say this is a much stronger race than last year’s renewal and I also think it might be a stronger race than the Cheltenham Foxhunter. I know it is hard to do the double, but I have always thought this race would should On The Fringe more than the Cheltenham version, so the fact he was so impressive there means I have to stick with him at Aintree. Granted he will need luck in running as he will be held up but I am pretty confident he is the best horse in the race. Also the potential of a strong pace would suit him. Warne has an obvious e/w chance again given his record in the race, but I just wonder if things haven’t gone quite as smoothly as connections would have liked and although his jockey is a big plus, I don’t think he will get as easy a time out in front as he did last year. The next few in the betting all have solid chances but the one I think worth having an e/w bet on is Last Time D’Albain. He ran well in the Topham two years ago and has improved with every start this season. At bigger prices there are a few with the potential to do well. Ockey De Neulliac, Bound For Glory, Chosen Milan and Shoreacres are four who look big prices, but the one I am going to put up is Bobs Law. I have really liked the way he has gone about his two victories this season, he jumps well, has a good young jockey and should be handy without needing to be up with what I think will be a strong early gallop.

On The Fringe 2pts
Last Time D’Albain 0.75pts e/w
Bobs Law 0.5pts e/w

Allerford Jack – Well beaten at Taunton on his return to action after a long absence, but his old form not even good enough anyway.

Big Fella Thanks – Has run seven times around this course and only failed to complete once. His best effort in the Grand National was a 4[SUP]th[/SUP] to Don’t Push it in 2010 and he also finished 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] in the 2012 Becher Chase, whilst he was 7[SUP]th[/SUP] in last season’s Topham. Ran a really good race when a close 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to Annacotty off a mark of 135 at Cheltenham in January and then made his hunter chase debut when winning as he liked at Wincanton when beaten Neverownup. Had Derek O’Connor booked so that is a big plus and not sure there are too many here who could be 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] in a Cheltenham handicap off a mark of 135. A bold showing would not surprise.

Bobs Law – Really is back to form this season with two hunter chase wins. First he slogged it out in the Ffos Las mud when just getting the better of Universal Soldier and then won well at Chepstow beating Tugboat who boosted the form by winning at Ludlow last week. Don’t think he is up to winning this but can give his young jockey a good spin round.

Bound For Glory – Hannah Lewis gave him a fantastic ride from the front at Stratford last month as he beat a fair field easily. Jumped for fun that day so I can see him enjoying this test, the problem is I doubt he will be able to dominate this field in quite the same way. Despite that I can see him giving Hannah a great ride for a long way.

Boxer Georg – Was 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] in this in 2011 to Baby Run, but not got close to that effort in this race since and he has shown poor form this season.

Brunswick Gold – Got loose before last year’s race and was withdrawn so connections hoping he will at least start this year. Not in the same form this time around though and was well beaten at Leicester last time.

Current Event – Was pleased to get this horse right at Cheltenham as he was a duly well beaten 12[SUP]th[/SUP] after not even getting involved. As I said before that race you can pick all sorts of holes in his form and he hasn’t actually achieved an awful lot either in points or in his Musselburgh hunter chase win. What I will say though is this trip is much more suitable for him so that is certainly in his favour so I am not as against him as I was before Cheltenham. He has sometimes guessed at one in points so his jumping would by a slight worry, but he did get round in the Grand Sefton in 2013, although was a well beaten 6[SUP]th[/SUP].

Douglas Julian – A different horse this season as last year he wasn’t finishing off his races. He surprised me when winning his first hunter chase at Kelso in February and then surprised me even more when following up in a handicap back there off a mark of 110. Usually makes the running, but was well behind from the start in this last year when finishing 11[SUP]th[/SUP]. Given he is in better form this time around he might improve on that, but not enough to trouble the judge.

Earth Dream – Was 4[SUP]th[/SUP] in this last year, but a huge 26L behind Warne. Paid for trying to go with Pacha Du Polder at Ludlow last time when just getting caught for 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]. Both those runs show he has plenty to find though to even finish 4[SUP]th[/SUP] again.

Good Egg – Was beaten 41L by Last Time D’Albain at Fairyhouse last time and has no chance here.

Illusion Of Time – Was a 12L 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] in a maiden hunter chase at Downpatrick last time when 9/4f and that form way below what is needed here.

Last Time D’Albain – An interesting contender from Ireland. Was a close 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] off a mark of 137 in the Topham two years ago, but unseated at Bechers first time round in last year’s Grand National. Has had three runs this season finishing 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] in a point and then won a point before putting up a good performance to win a Fairyhouse hunter chase in February. He beat Cheltenham Foxhunter 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Carsonstown Boy that day so the form looks solid enough and he is capable of going well.

Major Malarky – Got round to finish 11[SUP]th[/SUP] in the 2013 National. Hammered weak opposition when winning a hunter chase at Kelso in February and it would have been interesting to see how he would have gone back in a handicap there at the same track last month, but he unseated at the 11[SUP]th[/SUP]. The main problem he will have is the trip as he has plenty of stamina and not hard to see him being run off his feet early on. Every chance he will be staying on at the finish, but not sure it will be enough to hit the frame.

Neverownup – Trainer caused a massive shock to win this with Silver Adonis in 2010 and it would be a pretty big shock if this one won as well. Was flattered by his proximity to Big Fella Thanks at Wincanton and only 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] at Leicester last time. Will at least appreciate the drying ground, but has plenty to find.

Nowurhurlin – A really hard horse to win with and I think his two hunter chase wins have been down to the opposition failing to perform from one reason or another rather than him being the best horse in the race. Ran well enough to finish 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to Palypso De Creek at Carlisle last time having been beaten more than that by hi at Leicester the time before. His form isn’t good enough, but if this quirky horse takes
to the fences he may outrun his form.

Ockey De Neulliac – Been a winning machine for current connections in the last couple of seasons winning 8 points and a couple of hunter chases. Those hunter chase wins last season came in good races as well winning the Walrus at Haydock and the Ladies race at Cheltenham’s hunter chase night in April. He has won four from four in points this season and although the form isn’t overly strong it proves he is still in good heart. Another who is certain to be wanting to be up there early and it will be hard for him to dominate this field the way he did at Haydock and Cheltenham. Even so he should give a bold showing.

On The Fringe – A horse whose form was more than good enough to win a Cheltenham Foxhunter, but I never thought he would because he had always struggled to stay before. Well he certainly proved me wrong with a stunning 17L win at Cheltenham. I always thought this race was more suitable for him so naturally I think he has a big chance here. It is a very hard task to do the double although Baby Run would have gone close to doing both in 2011 but for falling 2 out at Cheltenham. He has only had three runs this season so has been brought along steadily by his trainer and there has been 4 weeks between the two Festivals this year so that will help as well. The one slight concern is the fact he will be held up so he will need to avoid any trouble that happens in front of him, but granted luck in running he has a huge chance of doing the double.

Out Now – Purchased by his owner so he could have a ride over the National fences and he was impressive when beating a poor field at Warwick in January. Then came the infamous Ludlow race in February when he looked the winner until stopping to a walk on the run-in and ended up coming third. Up until that point it was a good run and he wouldn’t be a complete no hoper here, but the jockey is always going to be a massive issue especially with no experience around the course.

Pacha Du Polder – On official BHA ratings he is the highest rated horse in the race and has run two solid efforts in hunter chases this season. First up he was a good 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to Teaforthree at Bangor, where the soft ground would have been against him. Back on better ground at Ludlow he bolted up last month. That wasn’t the strongest race ever, but it showed he still held a decent level of ability. Ran in the Topham a couple of years ago but was well beaten that day so that is a slight concern, otherwise holds solid claims.

Quinz – His two wins in points have come in weak races, especially at Godstone last time when he won by two fences. Tried to give Paint The Clouds a race at Doncaster in February but was beaten 10L in the end. Didn’t exactly have an enjoyable experience round here in the 2011 National after making a mistake at Valentines and then bursting a blood vessel. Trip might be on the short side for him as well.

Rouge Et Blanc – Ran in the first hunter chase of the season when finishing 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] at Taunton. That form not good enough to win this and although he has run fair enough races in two handicaps since, that isn’t good enough form either.

Sergeant Dick – Would have won at Warwick but for jumping right that day and that has to be a massive concern around here even if he had form good enough to win. Hopefully he won’t get in others way.

Shoreacres – I thought he ran a cracker at Cheltenham, given he isn’t the strongest of stayers and the ground would have been soft enough for him. He was in contention turning for home and it was only his stamina running out which caused him to only finish 6[SUP]th[/SUP] and beaten 27L. I can’t see him reversing Cheltenham form with the winner and interestingly usual rider Hannah Lewis is on Bound For Glory. Even so he could run a big race at a big price.

Siro Demur – Really should have won at Leicester last time but his jockey didn’t kick for home when he should have done and was collared late on by El Mondo. Beat Shoreacres by 1/2L at Kempton last season although was behind Pacha Du Polder at Bangor in February. A horse I like a lot, but I think he needs shorter and will probably be outclassed anyway.

Soleil D’Avril – Had been struggling since showing good form in points in 2013, but bounced back to his best when wining well enough at Catterick last month. Even so should be nowhere good enough to win this.

Tartan Snow – Caused a massive upset when winning this in 2013 and then ran really well again last year to finish 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to Warne. Gone to new connections this season though and not shown anywhere near the same form. Ms Annabel Roberts is also not in the same league as Derek O’Connor who rode him last year and Jamie Hamilton who won the race on him. Add in the fact he is now 15 and it would be astonishing if he got anywhere near to be repeating his exploits in the last two years.

Twirling Magnet – Rated 140 and has proven he still holds plenty of ability in his two hunter chase wins this season. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened at Wetherby when he made a bad mistake and his jockey got into a bit of difficulty, possibly because the saddle slipped. He then followed that up with two very easy wins at Ludlow and Newbury beating Ballytober on both occasions although that one didn’t exactly boost the form last week. Even so I think he still holds enough ability to go close in this, but the main issue is his jumping. He fell at the first in the National last year, and as well as the mistake at Wetherby he made a pretty bad one at Newbury last time. I would be amazed if he didn’t make at least one mistake round here and if you do want to back him I suggest doing so in the faller insurance market as if he did get round he has place claims.

Vincitore – Finished 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] behind Twirling Magnet at Newbury on his seasonal debut and that was for me a personal best despite the face he won at Chepstow last season. Looked capable of winning again on the Newbury run, but it won’t be this race.

Warne – Was so impressive in this race last year having finished a close 4[SUP]th[/SUP] in 2013. Has never actually beaten On The Fringe although it should be added that he barely stays 3m and he was way too free at Punchestown in May when finishing a 22L 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] to On The Fringe in the Champion Hunters Chase. This season he has only run the once that was when comfortably winning an Irish point last month. It has to be a slight worry he has had only one start since May, but this was obviously always going to be his main target. The fact he has Sam Waley-Cohen on board is an obvious plus given how well he rides this course. He should go well again, but there are two other niggling doubts I have. First of all he managed to get a fairly easy time of things out in front last year and given the amount of probable front runners this time around I doubt that will be the case this year. Also linked to that is the fact last year’s renewal was pretty bad which is highlighted by the fact only Warne and Mossey Joe started in single figure odds. Given Mossey Joe had anything but a clear prep it could be argued he had a pretty easy task. Don’t get me wrong he is capable of winning the race for the second year running, but it will be a lot tougher.

Chosen Milan – Ran a huge race at Cheltenham, especially given she was hampered early on, to finish 21L behind On The Fringe in 5[SUP]th[/SUP] place. The Taunton win the time before was her 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] hunter chase success and she seems to be still on the upgrade. No reason why this test shouldn’t suit and can go well although clearly work to do to reverse Cheltenham form with On The Fringe.

Summary – Fair to say this is a much stronger race than last year’s renewal and I also think it might be a stronger race than the Cheltenham Foxhunter. I know it is hard to do the double, but I have always thought this race would should On The Fringe more than the Cheltenham version, so the fact he was so impressive there means I have to stick with him at Aintree. Granted he will need luck in running as he will be held up but I am pretty confident he is the best horse in the race. Also the potential of a strong pace would suit him. Warne has an obvious e/w chance again given his record in the race, but I just wonder if things haven’t gone quite as smoothly as connections would have liked and although his jockey is a big plus, I don’t think he will get as easy a time out in front as he did last year. The next few in the betting all have solid chances but the one I think worth having an e/w bet on is Last Time D’Albain. He ran well in the Topham two years ago and has improved with every start this season. At bigger prices there are a few with the potential to do well. Ockey De Neulliac, Bound For Glory, Chosen Milan and Shoreacres are four who look big prices, but the one I am going to put up is Bobs Law. I have really liked the way he has gone about his two victories this season, he jumps well, has a good young jockey and should be handy without needing to be up with what I think will be a strong early gallop.

On The Fringe 2pts
Last Time D’Albain 0.75pts e/w
Bobs Law 0.5pts e/w

OTF the one to beat, Warne has a strong chance and I've backed Quinz E/W at a huge price - won a Club Members at Larkhill first time out prior to finishing third at the same track in a Mens event. That was a solid effort and his Godstone win a month ago will have done him the world of good with a decent jockey up and coming from a top yard with a very good Hunter Chase second this season too he looks a big price for a shock at 50/1

Martin

Great day at Tabley yesterday - very wet and I ended up covered in mud after coming down late on, also very sad to see a top owner and trainer having a heated argument/discussion towards the end of the afternoon.

Like Little Fitz today - run well in a HC at Musselburgh and though step up in trip is a slight concern he's unexposed in this company and looks a bit of value at around 7/1.

Martin

Great day at Tabley yesterday - very wet and I ended up covered in mud after coming down late on, also very sad to see a top owner and trainer having a heated argument/discussion towards the end of the afternoon.

Like Little Fitz today - run well in a HC at Musselburgh and though step up in trip is a slight concern he's unexposed in this company and looks a bit of value at around 7/1.

Martin

Coming down late on - sounds like you were riding :) Another shrewd judge I know has advised Kalastar - 2 singles and a r/f/c I think.

Heated argument why? You can't start gossip and leave us hanging. Dish the dirt man.

Still too cryptic for me I'm afraid.

Onto business, and today's Exeter HC. I like the look of the fav here at Bet365's 2/1. Third Chance did well to beat John Daniell at Ston Easton (though it was costly as I'd backed JD) and could go well at a bigger price. What are your thoughts Martin?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have to thank Jeremy for his email to TRF. Not only did he pinpoint the winner of the Buccleuch Cup at Kelso Awayupinthsky, he described exacrly how the horse would be ridden and when he'd hit the front....awesome tipping

Good to see the hunter chase at Exeter has the biggest field at the track tomorrow. Babeny Bridge was 2nd to Aerial on his seasonal return, but has been a little disappointing since although they were decent enough contests. He has won on good to firm ground before so that is a plus in his favour.
Bedrock Fred has run only twice this season, first day of the season he hated the ground at Cottenham and ended up falling and then last month he won a three runner race at Larkhill. He handles fast ground, but his two runs in hunter chases so far have been awful.
Another horse who hasn't been great in hunter chases is Blinding Lights. He won also won a three poor runner race last time as well. His only bit of form in a hunter chase did come here on fast ground when he was 2nd, but he would need to improve on that here.
Little Cornham has won his last two points, but they weren't great races and overall he does struggle to get his head in front. He was a well beaten 2nd to Chosen Milan last year at Newton Abbot, but had some fair horses in behind him. He was probably slightly flattered that day though and I think he needs to show some improvement to win this.
Minella Web showed a glimmer of promise under Rules on fast ground last summer and interestingly he had a breathing op prior to his win last time at Kilworthy. Looking at his form it would suggest that most of the time he was struggling to see his races out and the op should have changed that. The fast ground will help him as well and he has a chance here.
The one I like the most though is Indiana Bay. I tipped him up in this race last year when I was pretty keen on him and he was a bit disappointing when only finishing 4th. Having said that he had three decent horses in front of him including Chosen Milan who was 2nd. I would say there is nothing of the quality of those three horses in this race. He ran a cracker on his seasonal return and then ran really well to finish 2nd to Bound For Glory over a trip which was too short at Stratford. The form of that race is rock solid and he really does deserve to pick up a hunter chase, given his other run was a 2nd to Harbour Court at Cheltenham two years ago. He has won on quick ground as well so that shouldn't be an issue and all being well he should win this. I also think it is worth having an e/w saver on Minella Web.

Indiana Bay 3pts
Minella Web 0.5pts e/w

Jeremy definitely knows his stuff - just gutted here that Wayupinthesky couldn't do at Limerick over Christmas when I was on lol.

I was out most of Tuesday so only got back in time for the race sadly.

Thoughts on tomorrow's race to follow tomorrow :-)

Martin

If you take the favourite out - who will one of these sooner or later but has dogged it twice in recent starts (traded 1.05 and 1.01 on two of his three most recent outings) then this looks pretty open.

He looks too short at around 6/4 or so (I made him 2/1) anyway so it's worth looking for some value in the race.

No surprise to see some support for Owen Glendower given his Rules form but hard to back him with confidence on his debut in this sphere and would leave him alone at sub-6/1.

Realt Ag Leimt has bled in the past but gets on very well with Dale Peters who's a good jockey. He's one of the few in this race to actually have won a Hunter Chase and ran well in a Mixed Open behind the prolific Gunmoney last time out at his favourite track Garthorpe. It's a concern that he's not done better in 2015, particularly at Garthorpe where he won in 2014 but he's probably better over a shorter trip and that might be becoming more apparent as he gets older, any drying in the ground would suit him and in a race with plenty of rubbish I made him 5/1 second favourite. He can be backed at 11/1.

The other horse I think is worth a bet is Catch Tammy who unseated at Towcester last time out, CT was hampered at a couple of points in that race by errant rivals so that may well have knocked his confidence and I'm sure Johnny Bailey will have been disappointed to have come off after the mistake that he made three out when having place chances at best. Catch Tammy seems to retain plenty of his old ability but really does struggle with the trip in point-to-point's generally weakening around 2 out or before the last depending on the track (shorter tracks he seems to weaken later on). Sam Davies-Thomas is a very good jockey who doesn't get the chances he should and takes over here, the 20/1 available is very big IMHO as I made him an 11's chance.

Of the short ones I struggle to see why Roby De Cimbre is as short as 13/2 (14/1 here) though he'd be one of the more likelier ones of the remainder. Monogram is 10/1 and seemingly being back, it's beyond me why (33/1 here) as this would be stronger than the race he was pulled up in last time out and he needs to step up to figure while none of the remainder make any appeal at all at the current prices.

Martin

I'm off to Clifton on Dunsmore on Sunday for the first time in a few years. Any thoughts on the card? First glance suggests a few of the favourites are difficult to oppose, but I'd prefer to seek out some ew value.

With my time overseas I'm hopelessly out of touch so any input would be welcome around trainers and jocks to follow/avoid, etc.

Talking about Jezza. He's been missing for a long time. I presume he's still doing his stuff around the courses?

Last edited:
This Southwell race tomorrow only attracted 3 runners last year so it is good to see a decent sized field. The problem is it is a race full of puzzles. We all know about Mr Mercurial by now and I said after his Towcester run that I doubt I would want to back him again, but then he pops up here in a race he really should win. His form is in a different league to the rest of these (on recent form anyway). I think the jockey just needs to make sure he doesn't hit the front too soon on him so it gives him no chance to think he has done the job.

Gansey has some very good back form in the context of this race despite the fact he hasn't won for a while and was 4th in last year's Grand Sefton. He doesn't appear to have stayed the trip in points this season, but also at the age of 13 he does seem to be on the downgrade.

Monogram and Roby De Cimbre should not be as short as they are in the betting. As I said before his Sedgefield run this sort of trip is too short for Monogram and he ran terribly anyway. I saw Roby De Cimbre on his seasonal debut and he threw in the towel. He won last time over Easter but after the odds on fav departed he had nothing to beat and even though he won by a long way he was still flashing his tail late on.

Owen Glendower would win this on his form for Nicky Henderson, but was in poor form for his new yard when last seen. Granted this is weak and it is a good jockey booking, but given he has been off for so long there is a lot to be taken on trust with him and although if he won it wouldn't surprise me I can't really back him.

Realt Ag Leimt is one from one in hunter chases having won at Huntingdon a couple of years ago. He won a couple of times in points last season and ran ok on a couple of starts this when 5th on his seasonal return and 2nd to Gunmoney last time. The problem is both those runs leave him with plenty to find with the favourite.

Catch Tammy ran in three points last season, but clearly doesn't stay 3m. He unseated at Towcester, but was running well enough at the time especially after being hampered early one. He has been put in at 20/1 and looks over priced to me.

Mr Mercurial is currently 13/8 with Paddy's and that is bigger than it should be. If he was even money or odds on I would let him go, but at that price in this field I am prepared to give him one last chance. Catch Tammy is worth a small bet e/w and worth backing in the betting without market once they come out in the morning.

Mr Mercurial 2pts
Catch Tammy 0.5pts e/w and 0.5pts e/w betting without market

I'm off to Clifton on Dunsmore on Sunday for the first time in a few years. Any thoughts on the card? First glance suggests a few of the favourites are difficult to oppose, but I'd prefer to seek out some ew value.

With my time overseas I'm hopelessly out of touch so any input would be welcome around trainers and jocks to follow/avoid, etc.

Talking about Jezza. He's been missing for a long time. I presume he's still doing his stuff around the courses?
Ah I was considering going to COD for the first time but looks like I'll be giving it a miss as a long trip down to Parham the following Saturday to see Did You Ever run.

Yeah Jezza is still race reading and think he's doing other stuff too - certainly getting around the tracks :)

Will take a look over it properly when I can Maruco - should be highly competitive racing at least.

I'd play W/O the fav too Benny particularly with the likes of RDC and OG looking too short in the market.

Martin

Cheers Martin. It's a shame you can't make it. It would have been good to catch up. Another time.

I'll probably try to take in Dingley and possibly Mollington before the season is out. And I should make the big Stratford and Cheltenham meetings.

I'll try and get to a Dingley before the seasons out as had my first winner as an owner there with Waynesworld.

Meeting on 3rd May is looking most likely though down in Kent on 4th to see both of ours run at Aldington hopefully so could be a long couple of days.

Martin

Back