The Queen Anne

Wouldn't have a chance of getting 10f though surely?

edit: irrelevant, as he's not even in the race.

I misread betsmate's post (subsequently edited). I'm talking about RVW. He's talking about Paco Boy. Ithought he meant that Rip would want to swerve Paco Boy. When instead he was making a joke about Paco Boy swerving the race to avoid "proper milers".

It was only the tiniest smidgeon of bait Ardross. I believe it. I always have. No joke Steve. I hope he does turn up, it makes great value elsewhere.

Okay then. For my part PB looks to have a good chance in a tough looking Queen Anne. Whereas Rip could well be better off taking the more straightforward task in the POW.

The fact that the blindingly obvious easy route of the POW is been spurned (apparently) by Ballydoyle in favour of the toughest QA in years is what has me interested.

The fact that the blindingly obvious easy route of the POW is been spurned (apparently) by Ballydoyle in favour of the toughest QA in years is what has me interested.

Agreed ! I don't buy the it is because he does not stay 10f argument - as if so why is he entered in the Eclipse as well !( OK he is the July Cup too :lol:)

It is fascinating . One also has to look back to that Moulin where Paco Boy missed the break and then was very short of room behind Goldikova.

I can see any one of the three winning - it is what makes it so exciting .

Paco Boy is a top miler; that is beyond dispute. That is not to say that he is not too short in the market, against the best miler of the last 10 years perhaps, and one who could still take that mantle - running third to these two would not mean he is not a top miler; credit where it's due.

Has it been spurned though?... he is still in the POW after all.

"Aidan O'Brien's charge was expected to run in the Queen Anne Stakes on the opening day of the meeting but is the Ballydoyle handler's sole entry in Wednesday's Group One showpiece". Source: PA

Last edited:
I can see any one of the three winning - it is what makes it so exciting .

Indeed I don't know which of the three (or perhaps five) would win this. But with Paco Boy's current form he'd have to have a considerable chance.

I expect Goldikova to win, and will be disappointed if she doesn't. Hopefully the other 2 can push her into having to put up another 130+ performance.

You may be right. I don't know. But it is beginning to look more apparent that he'll run on Wednesday, is it not?

Not really - the horse was declared yesterday as a likely runner in the Queen Anne. Connections have left him in the 10 furlong race this morning - it is not as if they shy away from multiple entries. I would be surprised if he did not run in the mile race now.

Anyone think Zacinto can bounce back?

Nope. He was flattered off an overly-strong pace in the QEII I think. Even iof he was full value for it, he'd be scrapping out for 4th/5th anyway.

Now can we stop all this Royal Ascot talk please, I've got work to do.

The Newbury performance was very smart at the trip.

Possibly, but at the end of the day it was a 3/4 length victory over a horse who's highest class of win was a G3 and who was trying the trip for only the second time (after failing miserably the first).

I'm not saying Paco Boy is not good, he clearly is, but the accolades with which he is showered seem hollow to me. If he is "a top class miler beyond doubt" then I want to see him slamming genuine G1 milers in strongly run races.

Personally, I don't believe he is up to it.

Okay, define what you think a genuine Group 1 miler is or what a top miler is, using the last few years for examples - otherwise we may be miles apart on our use of those terms.

I expect Goldikova to win, and will be disappointed if she doesn't. Hopefully the other 2 can push her into having to put up another 130+ performance.

This is where I think how Rip will run is fascinating. I presume Goldikova will have a pacemaker, with her in behind. But, what if Rip tries to make it for the main group, and renders the pacemaker obsolete? I think the race shape will determine who wins, but I agree with your post and hope it comes true.

Okay, define what you think a genuine Group 1 miler is or what a top miler is, using the last few years for examples - otherwise we may be miles apart on our use of those terms.

Genuine G1 Miler = Darjina
Top G1 Miler = Hawkwing
Miler capable of picking up soft G1 = Paco Boy

Paco Boy has a CV that exceeds his ability in my opinion. For that, his connections deserve credit. I just hope all of the hype has gone to their heads and they target him at a tough race.

He already has a Queen Anne under his belt, but look at the opposition. Gladiatorus was supposed to be the danger, but look how he turned out. In the end Paco Boy ended up beating Cesare, who is now...... NOVICE HURDLING!!!

You can only beat what's in front of you, but I've little doubt hat Paco Boy is lucky to be held in such high esteem.

The question that this appears to resuscitate is whether Paco Boy is better at 7f - his performance in beating a Group1 field in the Foret was spectacular and rather better than Goldikova could manage in her disastrous attempt last autumn.

The question that this appears to resuscitate is whether Paco Boy is better at 7f - his performance in beating a Group1 field in the Foret was spectacular and rather better than Goldikova could manage in her disastrous attempt last autumn.

Why compare his performance to a clearly under par Goldikova as if it has any merit whatsoever - or will we compare her form to his effort in last season's Lockinge?

Paco Boy is a genuine Group 1 miler, no doubt. But Goldikova and Rip Van Winkle are among the best milers from the last 25 years. If you can't use words to differentiate between them, try ratings. Take your pick whose you choose, but they all agree that Paco Boy's achievements so far don't compare with those of Rip Van Winkle and Goldikova, no matter how good Paco Boy looks when Hughes sits there with his arse in the air just nudging him clear.

Back