The Queen Anne

Paco Boy is a genuine Group 1 miler, no doubt. But Goldikova and Rip Van Winkle are among the best milers from the last 25 years. If you can't use words to differentiate between them, try ratings. Take your pick whose you choose, but they all agree that Paco Boy's achievements so far don't compare with those of Rip Van Winkle and Goldikova, no matter how good Paco Boy looks when Hughes sits there with his arse in the air just nudging him clear.

I agree - and I would have been in the betsmate camp previous - but this is a fair assessment. I think the other two have to under perform for PB to win but that he would still be a worthy winner in a normal year.

This camp is looking lonely! Just how I like it when it comes to betting.

But I agree DJ, if they all run to their best, third is the very best Paco Boy can hope for.

But I agree DJ, if they all run to their best, third is the very best Paco Boy can hope for.

If they all run to past best ratings this is so. low 130s for G and RVW as opposed to high 120s for PB. However, in terms of current form they may be very close.

I don't think Goldikova was that under par she is just a much better miler - 10f horse than over 7f where she had to use far too much of her energy to get a good position early from a bad draw .

If not, she'll be pretty good in the autumn judged by her reappearance win.

I posted my question without checking anything. It was a remark I read in the Weekender.

She's already won a G1 this season, arguably over a trip longer than her optimum. When I read the result I remembered seeing the clip of it on the ML recently. She was tying up latterly so if she's come on for the run she should be close to her best and will have had the run I think true 126+ horses need to blow the cobwebs away to allow them to hit their best form again.

I don't think Goldikova was that under par she is just a much better miler - 10f horse than over 7f where she had to use far too much of her energy to get a good position early from a bad draw .

She pulled far too keenly and was poorly ridden.

I suspect the mile at Santa Anita is about as easy a mile as you could get - and she had no problem with that. I think Goldikova would be more vulnerable over 10 furlong than 7 - much more.

Would you back those in front of her that day to beat her again?

I don't recall her pulling - Peslier's tactics were indeed questionable but she still ran well below her mile plus form and the trip I believe played a part .

On their best runs Paco Boy comes out third - the question is will the others produce that form and has he improved enough to trouble them if they do.

no pacemakers is a big negative for goldikova
i think freddy made a mistake by not joining a pacemaker for her
i will be a layer i think tuesday

Final declarations - what a race -

Calming Influence
Cat Junior
Dalghar
Paco Boy
Dream Eater
Ouqba
Pipedreamer
Rip Van Winkle
Zacinto
Goldikova

I wouldn't look past GOLDIKOVA, RVW, and ZACINTO for a place. Which probably means that CAT JUNIOR will spoil the party!

O'Brien talking about fears over Rip Van Winkles fitness - surely they will have him very close to concert pitch on Tuesday?

As I've said before, I'm not convinced the real champions can show their highest level of firm first time up. The higher they're rated above 126 the more difficult it seems to do. It's as if that level is just physically not possible without a proper race to bring them that peak. I'd like to think I'm wrong.

My gut feeling is that RVW will be third and that Goldikova will hold Paco Boy's late challenge .

I think G 7-4 RVW 5-2 PB 3 is about right.

As I've said before, I'm not convinced the real champions can show their highest level of firm first time up. The higher they're rated above 126 the more difficult it seems to do. It's as if that level is just physically not possible without a proper race to bring them that peak. I'd like to think I'm wrong.

Newbury, May 2003. Hawk Wing

I do not see the sense in them bringing him here undercooked - particularly when there is a much "easier" option the next day.

If anyone is interested, there are Timeform Radio previews for Royal Ascot available to listen to here, including interviews with some of the Aussie representatives in the King's Stand. They should also be available to download via i-tunes at some stage but don't seem to be there yet.

Feel free to deleted this mods if you think it's spam.

Back