The Road to the 2012 2000 Guineas

Think they've declared now and they have 24 hours to book jockeys :)

Looks a cracking race - the Impudence is normally a decent affair too though definitely a Pouliches trial this year.

Martin

List of Brian Meehan failures.

2005 - Magical Romance
Cheveley Park winning 2yo, ended up running in the Oaks :lol: and never won in her 4 starts as a 3yo beaten 44 lengths in total.

2005 - Carizzo Creek
Gimcrack winner, never won a race again despite Fallon saying it's the best 2yo horse he's ever sat on. :lol:

2006 - Donna Blini
Cherry Hinton & Cheveley Park winner ended up coming last in the 1000 Guineas, won a Conditions race over 5f in July to make up for it - Now mother of two Graded winners in Japan with a combined £800,000 in Prize Money. :lol:

2006 - Johnny The Fish
Winner of the Doncaster St Ledger Yearling Stakes, never saw a racetrack again.

2006 - Judge
Lovely Maiden winner in a fast time, could of been a really nice horse but only ever raced once after that win.

2007 - Helene Brilliant
Won the St Ledger Yearling Stakes beating Cockney Rebel, 2nd next time out in the Mill Reef to Excellent Art - never raced in England again - sold to Japan.

2007 - Laurentina
2nd to Passage of Time in the Montrose Fillies Stakes, never won a race in 4 starts beaten a total 94 lengths.

2007 - Chataway
Progressive 2 year old, promise of a decent Handicaper never saw racecourse again after 3 runs.

-

Right, Barcelona game is on but you get the picture - names I was going to write about;

Fast Company
Exclamation
City Leader
Austintacious
Crowded House
Skanky Biscuit
Lady Of The Desert - for the face she was even considered a miler with her action
Arcano
Conniption
Gallagher
Theyskens Theory

All massively underachieved in my opinion.

I was plotting a bet on the Meehan horse last month as witnessed on this thread.

Then the flat brainstrust told me to forget it.

I've since watched the horse get backed into about 5's.

All you fellas will be feeling my heat if he goes in.

I'm on Nephrite for the win now but Akeed Mofeed could run well e/w. A leger horse maybe.

Last edited:
I was plotting a bet on the Meehan horse last month as witnessed on this thread.

Then the flat brainstrust told me to forget it.

I've since watched the horse get backed into about 5's.

All you fellas will be feeling my heat if he goes in.

I'm on Nephrite for the win now but Akeed Mofeed could run well e/w. A leger horse maybe.

Marble, all of the Grade A muppets that are backing Most Improved not only have their trainer to worry about but their information is only as good as what they know about other horses in the field.

He may well have trained like a 2000 Guineas horse but there are 3 or 4 in Ireland who are serious prospects that inside backers of Most Improved wouldn't have a clue about - then you've got the French contenders and Godolphin.

You're info is beginning to look very weak & before you know it you could easily be behind 6 or 7 horses come the day.

Marble, you have nothing to worry about honestly.

Last edited:
Bruce to clarify if I have not already, I'm with you on Nephrite. I watched all the videos of the likely contenders and he looked like he had the legs for the Guineas, I appreciate a good pair of legs.:)

Last edited:
No point having the price if he doesn't run - from what AOB said the other day it sounds like he's odds-against to even make the race.

Dam sire is Kingmambo. If they were going to have a go at the Guineas with a Montjeu it would be one with this sort of dam sire. He'll no doubt improve at middle distances but that may not stop them running him here.

Mount Helicon was a Montjeu x Kingmambo nick & won a three mile hurdle at Cork on heavy ground whilst the mother barely got a mile for Barry Hills.

Now, Camelot is hardly the smallest looking horse and Montjeu's top 20 milers have never won over a mile at 3.

Having said that, I agree he's going to run but it wouldn't be a wise decision.

Last edited:
Out of interest, what price is Parish Hall? He's being quietly spoken up.

ETA: What makes you lot so sure Camelot goes for the Guineas over the Dante?

Last edited:
French Fifteen wins with Abtaal second. Neither given a particularly aggressive ride and I think you'd have to take a positive view of both. I'd backed both of them for the guineas in advance with Abtaal being my bigger winner.

Absolutely. Abtaal has drifted right out to 28 on the machine though. That can only mean people thinking he won't run because like you said they both ran fine races.

Yeah, presumably Abtaal will go to Longchamp now rather than take French Fifteen on at Newmarket.

Weird race don't you think?

Horses all over the place despite being very advanced in their careers, could be a big positive for the 3rd who was only having his second run.

French Fifteen is appealing for the 2000 Guineas!

Absolutely. Abtaal has drifted right out to 28 on the machine though. That can only mean people thinking he won't run because like you said they both ran fine races.

I certainly don't think the race justifies the turnaround in prices. FF came wide and they raced apart until the last half furlong. Were they to meet again it would be difficult to split them.

We'll see what the fallout is with connections.

Prix Djebel runner's up have a better record in the race than either Montjeu's or overrated Meehan hype machines.

Not many Grefullhe winners had won the Derby until last year...

In my opinion the british 3yo's are average and i'm expecting a left field winner of the guineas.

Back