The Road to the 2012 2000 Guineas

Straight to the Guineas, or a trip to Newbury?

He won't go for anything before the Guineas and could miss the Guineas itself.

"Meehan's vets were in attendance early this morning and the Manton team are hoping Most Improved has suffered only a minor setback and will be fit for the Classic on May 5.

Meehan told his official website: "Obviously at this stage his participation is open to question".

Born To Sea goes straight to the race:

Born To Sea remains on course to follow in the hoofprints of his esteemed sibling Sea The Stars in the Qipco 2000 Guineas.
The latter kicked off his three-year-old campaign with victory in the Newmarket Classic and went on to win a further five Group One prizes that year including the Investec Derby at Epsom and the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe at Longchamp.
Born To Sea clearly has plenty to live up to, but showed enough in his two juvenile starts - winning at the Curragh before finishing second in Leopardstown's Killavullan Stakes - to suggest he can uphold family honour to some degree.
"We thought about running him in a trial but we were happy with him at home and we took the decision that he didn't need to have a race. The plan is for him to go straight to Newmarket now and hopefully we're doing the right thing," said Oxx.
"We've had no setbacks at all with him and everything has gone nicely.
"He's pleasing me at home, but things can change quickly, so fingers crossed."

Funnily enough, the last 6 horses to place in the 2000 Guineas (Makfi, Dick Turpin, Canford Cliffs, Frankel, Dubawi Gold and Native Khan) all had a prep - the first time that's happened since 1992 & 1993. Note that none of them are Irish - only a tiny few of the many Irish runners over the last few years have prepped.

Very nice performance by Trumpet Major to win the Craven. 5 lengths and 3lbs back to his decent Group 3 winning stablemate Crius (who travelled really well for 6f or so). In to 10.5 on Betfair.

The similarities with Dick Turpin are striking.

Owned by Manley. Check
Group 2 winning juvenile. Check
Raced frequentely as a 2yo. Check
Mid-division in the Dewhurst. Check
Impressive trial winner. Check
Seen by many as trainer's second best 3yo (Canford Cliffs / Harbour Watch). Check
Son of Arakan. Check

Last edited:
Likely to find one or two too good in the Guineas? Maybe.

I think the 12s looks fair considering many of those ahead of him are either unproven, doubts or both.

Likely to find one or two too good in the Guineas? Maybe.

Possibly... but there's still so many doubts about who's going to actually run that its good to have something solid posted. Timeform go 121 provisionally, although as you say he'll need to improve again to win an average Guineas.

Let's see what Top Offer and co. can do in the Greenham.

BTW, has anyone heard anything about Fencing?

From what I can gather they prefer him to today's Craven third Eastern Sun. They were talking about the Craven and the the Greenham for him, but I assume they need more time. He's in the 2,000 Guineas, Dante and Derby, but they keep referring to him as a French Derby horse, so maybe that's what they really have in mind.

I have backed Trumpet and Parish for the Guineas before the craven based on the Dewhurst form.I think it will be key again this year. I have doubts about the others including Meehans getting a tough mile.I can't have Camelot (Derby horse)for the Guineas. Trumpet looks typical of Arakan's better runners. If you want to beat them you have to have a hell of a turn of foot a la canford or Makfi. They stay at speed. I can't see anything coming over the horizon with those credentials. The best Guineas this year will probably be run in France.

I have backed Trumpet and Parish for the Guineas before the craven based on the Dewhurst form.

I backed Trumpet Major today, but despite winning well more or less agree with the comments above that it would be a substandard renewal for him to win the Guineas. I'd fancy a small handful of them above TM. I've got more time for PH, even though he'd be better suited to middle distances.

I expecting Tales Of Grimm to be cut significantly after tomorrow's outing and am already on at 25s.

Camelot still sets the standard though.

Bold man. For the last few seasons Stoute's are running like mules early on, 0-15 and counting, some short prices amongst those. All of his are laying propositions until they start to show something, but won't be holding my breath on that account.

Good luck with your bet though.

French Fifteen strikes me as the logical bet at the current prices

Last edited:
Possibly... but there's still so many doubts about who's going to actually run that its good to have something solid posted. Timeform go 121 provisionally, although as you say he'll need to improve again to win an average Guineas.

In effect 121 makes Trumpet Major the club house leader, but a median of 125 over the last 5 years has been required to win a Guineas.

He does but AOB will surely not hard train the horse for the race after what happened to St Nick.

Maybe he won’t need hard training to get him there though. All things being equal I doubt they’ll miss too many opportunities to take Classics and Group 1 mile races with suitable Montjeu’s if they can. They will fill a hole with such horses and add significantly to their appeal at stud.

Having said this I be personally delighted if they get him out of the way of my bigger priced alternatives for the race.

French Fifteen will almost surely show up at Newmarket. Nicolas Clement pretty much confirmed that after the Djebel.

Last edited:
The similarities with Dick Turpin are striking.

Owned by Manley. Check
Group 2 winning juvenile. Check
Raced frequentely as a 2yo. Check
Mid-division in the Dewhurst. Check
Impressive trial winner. Check
Seen by many as trainer's second best 3yo (Canford Cliffs / Harbour Watch). Check
Son of Arakan. Check

I spoke to connections this morning and they weren't confident, they were worried about the ground as unlike his brother TM had shown a preference for better ground - I think he surprised everyone, although they did suggest he was worth a small e/way. :(

Gosden did say last week," Fencing is much more relaxed this year. He's stronger and more professional. He should be effective at a mile and a quarter."

Gosden did say last week," Fencing is much more relaxed this year. He's stronger and more professional. He should be effective at a mile and a quarter."

Yes. See my previous post. They seem keen on mentioning the French Derby whenever they speak about him.

Back