The Road To The 2012 Champion Hurdle

she'll only take on Quevega if she doesnt go into foal again. Sounded like they were going to try again? I hope she does turn up coz it would be a better price for the money machine which is Quevega.

If HF didnt make it to the festival ,is there any chance Quevega could run in the champion hurdle instead . A nice 7lbs allowance as well.

Menorah could come back into the reckoning for the Champion. Looks set to take part in the International at the w/e. Depending on the result novice chase career could be put on ice until next season.

he is all for the easy targets.

Is he the record jockey yet? If he's not his pursuit of whoever the frig holds it and the media wittering on about it and Henderson chasing Fulke Walwyn's mark is probably the only tiresome thing about the Festival for me.

Since his win in the Greatwood off 151 (beat Bothy a neck), this is his record.

Beat Cue Card, Silvianaco Conti and Clerks's Choice in the International. The only beaten horse to win a hurdle race since is Nicene Creed, who won a Taunton novice hurdle by a head.

Fifth in the Champion and then fourth at Punchestown, beaten around 10L both times by the champ.

I believe that he is a decent hurdler, and he may well have a more productive year over timber than birch (given the dispairty between English 2m hurdlers and English 2m chasers).

But he is not good enough to be placed in a Champion Hurdle.

Neither do I. He is good, but not great. Probably can run to 160 or so, but not the high 160s/170s needed to win a well-contested Grade 1.

...give him a break he was giving Bothy a couple of stone and wasn't far away from being placed in the Champion anyway as a 6-y-o.

I think connections might be entitled to think about the race again should they win the International (again) on Saturday.

Neither do I. He is good, but not great. Probably can run to 160 or so, but not the high 160s/170s needed to win a well-contested Grade 1.

We're not talking about winning. Barry said he's not good enough to be placed. With respect to you both that's clear tosh.

Brampour won the Greatwood off 149
Overturn won a handicap off 160.

I would argue that both of those are more impressive performances in the context of getting placed in a Champion Hurdle.

OF course Menorah can get placed in a Champion Hurdle. But that would require it to be a very weak year. I will say it again. Menorah is not good enough to be placed in a Champion Hurdle.

He wasn't last season, I don't think he will be this season. And I think connections will give up after that.

...we are talking about a Supreme Novice winner (which last time I looked was a Grade 1). It is not unreasonable to expect some improvement from his first crack at the Champion. He'll only be 7 should it give it another go.

Last edited:
Menorah wouldn't have been a Supreme Novice winner if AP rode a better race on Getmeoutofhere - I was there and that horse should have won!

Menorah physically isn't much to shout about, wouldn't like to be with this horse now that it's on the downgrade.

I think Brampour will place in the Champion Hurdle then!

Last edited:
Menorah wouldn't have been a Supreme Novice winner if AP rode a better race on Getmeoutofhere - I was there and that horse should have won!

Menorah physically isn't much to shout about, wouldn't like to be with this horse now that it's on the downgrade.

I think Brampour will place in the Champion Hurdle then!

...lots of things wouldn't have been, if something else had happened. The fact is he is a Grade 1 winner at the Festival (and it doesn't get better than that).

Saying he is on the downgrade is utter nonsense. He has legitimate chances in most of what he is entered for.

Back