The Road To The 2012 Champion Hurdle

Canaly runs - I don't know why as they will destroy his mark. Hughes is adamant that he is the best he has had and will win a Gold Cup!

Can't speak for Meade but if Harchibald sees the betting, he must be tempted to come out of his field. And The French Furze for that matter.

Hattons Grace is looking interesting

Voler
The Real Article
Unaccompanied
Mourad
Pittoni
Thousand Stars

None of them likely to be winning at the Cheltenham Festival, but all very capable in their own right and will make for a decent betting event. My money is still on Voler. No HF and Solwhit this year.

She certainly won easy enough at Naas on Saturday but would have little chance of landing a blow against Hurricane Fly.

She's only rising 5 and was very immature last year when coming 2nd to Zarkander who is probably a star. I think she'll prove better than Quevega.

Was it said that HF won't take part in this?

I thought they said Morgiana and Christmas. Last year they weren't the Champion Hurdler so he had to go and win some grade 1s like the Morgiana, Hattons etc etc on the way to Cheltenham. Now that he is the champ, they dont need to go to Fairyhouse unless they want the prizemoney.

If size was all that matters, this world would be a very different place. Alph would be a Champion Hurdler and Gold Cup winner.

This is true but I was more referring to the physical improvement she has made sine the last time I saw her when she was 2nd to Zarkander.

Last edited:
Hattons Grace is looking interesting

Voler
The Real Article
Unaccompanied
Mourad
Pittoni
Thousand Stars

None of them likely to be winning at the Cheltenham Festival, but all very capable in their own right and will make for a decent betting event. My money is still on Voler. No HF and Solwhit this year.

Hurrican out of Morgiana - probably go for Hattons now I'd imagine unless something more serious wrong. Mullin's statement very short - I'd advise he should be taken out of the betting for Sunday.

Hurrican out of Morgiana - probably go for Hattons now I'd imagine unless something more serious wrong. Mullin's statement very short - I'd advise he should be taken out of the betting for Sunday.

I'm always pessimistic when horses that have suffered suspensory problems are take out of their comeback races (Diamond Harry is another). HF did well in the Champion Hurdle but I'd have to be taking him on with alternatives in the ante-post market at this stage. I'd hate to see it, but HF could have gone wrong and may need nursing along this season.

I`ve got a field with three of these in. Sad to say they rarely triumph after. Rolls Royce engine but suspect tendons. So frustrating.

Rod

The Champion Hurdle market could be looking very wrong very shortly. I have to go with my instincts... I've been out this morning to back Spirit Son and Binocular.

Back