The Road to the 2017 Champion Hurdle

I can still see Elliott running Apples Jade here. With her 7lb allowance she must be right in the mix. A line through Footpad puts her ahead of Petit Mouchoir. I also feel the combination of 2 miles, a championship pace, and Cheltenham will bring out her best. 20/1 feels much too big to me.

VVM won the Punchestown CH. As I understand it, they're confident of her beating Apples Jade and are waiting on the Red Mills to see if Limini can. Surely unlikely that they'd supplement Limini having paid for VVM to stay in the race.

I know!! Ridden hard to beat Identity Thief and a MTOY bottomed from going 2m4f with Annie only 3 weeks previous on soft ground. Then her extreme workman like effort to beat Midnight Jazz at Doncaster still is fresh in the memory. She looked very one paced that day.

I can see them supplementing her with Mag heading to mares. Limini has way more natural speed and is supposed to have really strengthened up from last year again. VVM is left in everything so I wouldn't read too much into the fact she's still in it. She's also in the Ryanair & the GC. She's their 'super sub'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Can't see Rich Ricci letting a Championship race he has won for the last 2 years go by without having a go and that could have a lot to do with Yorkhill not going.

WPM must fancy his chances that Yorkhill can handle Top Notch and co and he still has a hand to play in the Champion Hurdle

I would imagine Ricci wants to run Vroum Vroum Mag hence her trip across the Irish Sea to Doncaster and the drop back in trip to test the water.

Didn't quite go to plan winning by a head but he'll convince himself the stiffer course at Cheltenham will suit her better and could run her with Limini going for the mares.

That said second guessing people like Ricci and JP is folly so we can but wait and see

Last edited:
Just upped my commitment on Petite Muchoir before Yanworth takes the stage.

I reckon anything less than brilliant from Yanworth could knock 1/2 a point off the prices of others and he has had a setback.

With Yorkhill out of the picture as much as I respect Nicky Henderson how can they make Buveur D'air favourite over Petite Mouchair?

There was nothing between the two at Aintree and we have seen massive improvement from Petite Mouchoir but only Nicky Henderson's undoubtable skill, past achievements and gallop hearsay to give credence to Buveur D'air's improvement and that improvement is enough to be winning a Champion Hurdle.

I simply don't understand why Petite Mouchoir is not at least joint favourite but believe he will be on the day

Last edited:
King had already said in today's weekender that Sceau Royal will miss both the Kingwell and Morebattle and head straight to the Champion.

But then enters him for the Kingwell regardless, despite the ground concerns he had still existing at Wincanton.

Choice to go there or run at Kelso in a bog on that clay Wincanton wins everytime................Kelso can drag the guts out of a horse when heavy.

He's ran well 3 times on soft and Daryl Jacob would have a big say on whether he runs or not.

He won't win...no way!!! but getting weight he will have to finish very close to Yanworth to have any sort of chance at Cheltenham. Or it's goodnight from him

It pretty much wasn't a choice though Fist. He said he'd go for neither and head straight for Cheltenham because there was no way the ground would dry out in time and yet despite being officially described as Soft he is running him after all.

I have zero financial interest in the race - or the Champion - but I'd feel seriously put away if I'd heavily backed Yanworth on the basis that SR wouldn't be running. As it happens I'd fully expect Yanworth to beat him.

I don't actually blame King, the media turns into an absolute circus this time of year and trainers are walking on eggshells with every comment they make reported on and scrutinized to the nth degree in the hope of picking up pre Cheltenham clues.

I used to enjoy the buildup to the meeting but nowadays I'm starting to feel like not even opening my RP in the month leading it up to it and just seeing what is running on the day.

We'll find out how mediocre (or shite) Ch'tibello is, once and for all tomorrow, I guess.

I must admit, I'm a little bit tempted (and ashamed) to say I might back him e/w... only because I don't believe he's as crap as everyone reckons.

Last edited:
Didn't he nearly duck out in that race when he mullered Shantou Village?

Might be something to do with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any more rude than your unfortunate propensity to apply your unwarranted epithet to any horse that might have caused you financial reverse in the past? I think, not!
He's well odds-on today for a reason. Albeit only a warm up,he's well clear on ratings, has the services of a very able pacemaker, and wears the blinds to sharpen up his obvious hurdling shortcomings at Kempton.
You think that makes him a rogue - lay him like one,and he'll likely - again - do nothing at all to justify your jaundiced appraisal.

What are you slavering about, reet? What propensity is this you are referring to?

The only horses I have regularly called dogs on these pages are Grandouet (who never cost me a bean - ever) and latterly MTOY, who whilst he has cost me a few quid over the years, is one I'm recently on record as saying that I am itching to back in a handicap. Well, them two plus Harchibald - and that was mainly to wind-up trackside, who is never here any more - and it hardly counts because he is most definitely a dog.

In the case of Yanworth, my post was caveated by the 'on-standby' bit - which was a direct reference to first-time head-gear, and nothing more than mischief.

So you can stick your 'propensity' right up your chute, quite frankly.

Last edited:
Back