The Road to the 2017 Champion Hurdle

Chris Cook in The Guardian

"Watching from afar but intrigued by the outcome was David Pipe, whose Moon Racer beat Ballyandy twice in the autumn. Moon Racer figures prominently in betting on the Supreme but also holds an entry in the Champion Hurdle and the trainer expects to leave a decision on his final target until a late stage. “I think he’ll be left in both races at the five-day stage and then we’ll see,” Pipe said.
“The deciding factors might be things like the strength of the opposition and how he is in himself.”
The trainer added that Moon Racer’s age must come into the discussion. The horse is now eight and it would be understandable if connections decided not to wait until he is nine before tackling the Champion Hurdle."

Chris Cook in The Guardian

"Watching from afar but intrigued by the outcome was David Pipe, whose Moon Racer beat Ballyandy twice in the autumn. Moon Racer figures prominently in betting on the Supreme but also holds an entry in the Champion Hurdle and the trainer expects to leave a decision on his final target until a late stage. “I think he’ll be left in both races at the five-day stage and then we’ll see,” Pipe said.
“The deciding factors might be things like the strength of the opposition and how he is in himself.”
The trainer added that Moon Racer’s age must come into the discussion. The horse is now eight and it would be understandable if connections decided not to wait until he is nine before tackling the Champion Hurdle."

Reading between the lines - Champion Hurdle.

He'll be an interesting addition.

Moon Racer is talented, amenable and tactically versatile and Scudamore gets on fine with him.

He would certainly inject more excitement into the race.
After watching Alderbrook win in 95 anything is possible with hurdlers.
Had he even been seen over hurdles at this stage of the season ?
Pity the forum was not around at the time .

He would certainly inject more excitement into the race.
After watching Alderbrook win in 95 anything is possible with hurdlers.
Had he even been seen over hurdles at this stage of the season ?
Pity the forum was not around at the time .

Alderbrook hurdled twice before winning the CH - 9th @ Newcastle & won at Wincanton - he was a 10f horse on the flat, though, and had a deal more speed than any Champion Bumper winner is likely to muster.

Sounds like you did the same as me, Fist; missed the wedding in '95, and went to the funeral in' 96, when he was whupped by Collier Bay?

Uh Uh!!! Won the Champion Hurdle 1985 and Scottish Champion Hurdle 1986:p.......The ironic thing was Brad was supposed to ride Alderbrook in the 86 Champion Hurdle but was a bit worse for wear slept in and turned up late for a schooling session. Bailey went nuts and did a Trump "Your fired" and Dunwoody took over.......When Jim Old found out Brad was free he booked him to ride Collier Bay and Brad rode maybe one of his best ever races stealing the race on the home turn. The ground was reported as tacky and Dunwoody instead of dropping Alderbrook in behind the leaders dropped him out the back door. He made up a lot of ground very quickly mid race using up a lot of energy which blunted his finishing run and cost him the race in the opinion of a lot of good judges...I heard Brad quipped after the race to Bailey if he needed a new jockey to call him....sounds just like him:lol:

Last edited:
Yer out by 10 years........too much Bintang!

Brad's greatest ever moment came on French Ballerina in the 1998 Supreme. :cool:

Last edited:
Yer out by 10 years........too much Bintang!

Brad's greatest ever moment came on French Ballerina in the 1998 Supreme. :cool:

Gezzus I am too I must be younger than I thought :blink:

Brad's finest moment was when he convinced me at Market Rasen one day that Bregawn would win the Gold Cup :cool:

Last edited:
I hope you all grabbed that 5/4 about Yanworth. as suggested, even at 8/13 he's a knocking bet with Sceau Royal said to be heading to Kelso

Wasn't Alderbrook born in '89 ? [emoji12]

I was going to ask why dunwoody ended up on him, then I remembered.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
King had already said in today's weekender that Sceau Royal will miss both the Kingwell and Morebattle and head straight to the Champion.

Scratchings announced today

Annie Power, Clondaw Warrior,Clyne, Faugheen, Gwafa, Ivan Grozny,Ivanovich Gorbatov,L'Ami Serge, Top Notch

19 entries remaihn

Last edited:
Just to concentrate the mind, these are the entries that have stood their ground

CH%20Runners%20Feb%2015_zpslgpjhubs.jpg

Read an article online that suggests Un De Sceaux could be supplemented?
Is it possible? And would he stand a chance?

If Limini does well she'll go the mares route which will increase VVM's chances of going CH. If Limini bombs, VVM almost certain for mares.

If Limini goes well I can see them supplementing her for CH. VVM two attempts over 2m were hardly inspiring, she'd be a good thing in the mares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VVM won the Punchestown CH. As I understand it, they're confident of her beating Apples Jade and are waiting on the Red Mills to see if Limini can. Surely unlikely that they'd supplement Limini having paid for VVM to stay in the race.

Back