The Road to the 2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Somewhat suspicious jumping history and suspect stayer?

Not sure where you get sus stayer from. He was finishing best of all on Sunday.

His jumping would be a concern but less so now they've altered the fences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, but you could level stamina issues at most of the field with that logic. Not many have form in the book over 4 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scratchings announced today

Alary, Don Cossack, Kotkikova, Kylemore Lough, Many Clouds,Shantou Flyer, Silviniaco Conti, Taquin De Seuil, Valseur Lido,Wounded Warrior

29 entries remain

Make or break for Cue Card today. His in and out performances are always a worry, hope he bounces back, hacks and comes home safely...The Gold Cup badly needs a boost.

Taquin Du Seuil like Cue Card is getting on in years and this is his Cheltenham so it might not be as easy as CC's 2/5 price tag suggests.

Well done DO spectacular from Cue Card evidently way below form in the KG .

Serious contender again for the GC

Indeed.
He was too fresh last year hence the fall.
This is a perfect prep and as it is his last chance I wish him the very best; it would be something to see a 4yo festival Bumper winner bring off the double; treble if you add the Ryanair.

Terrific performance and as expected there was an excuse for KG run - anyone who thought CC ran to form just scraping home from Silviniaco and Tea for Two is delusional .

Ran a perfect trial for the RyanAir, but there's little in his form to suggest he'd be as effective over 6f further.

Last edited:
Not at all despite him winning by half the park there was signs there that the trip was way too short for him these days.

Paddy Brennan asked him to go on but it took him forever to get into top gear and shake him off.

Once he did it was easy but when a horse does that you can be sure he needs further.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind he is a 3 miler plus these days and will get the trip in the GC

At his best he is without doubt the one to beat

Can't believe Cue Card is shorter than Djakadam

Sent from my MediaPad M1 8.0 using Tapatalk

Then you can't believe Cue Card will get the trip.

Djakadam is one paced albeit a good pace but he'd never beat Cue Card on the run to the line in a thousand years unless Cue Card did not stay

Pretty certain he won't. The list of horses who emptied up the hill that looked likely winners of the race at at the point he came down last year is an awfully long one.

Sent from my MediaPad M1 8.0 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not at all despite him winning by half the park there was signs there that the trip was way too short for him these days.

Paddy Brennan asked him to go on but it took him forever to get into top gear and shake him off.

Once he did it was easy but when a horse does that you can be sure he needs further.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind he is a 3 miler plus these days and will get the trip in the GC

At his best he is without doubt the one to beat

Happy enough with yesterday's performance and I'll be rating him value for at least 20 lengths but poor old Royal Regatta was in reverse gear from two out, exaggerating CC's superiority.

More telling, perhaps, was PB's immediate post-race remark that the horse was still half-asleep...

I've just re-watched the Denman a couple of times.

You know, I'm not convinced Bristol De Mai was there to win.

I'm always suspicious when something is anchored at the start unnecessarily but did Jacob seriously believe he could give Native River a 5-6 lengths start in that ground?

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd done zip with BDM at home since Haydock and just brought him here to weigh up Native River. Certainly the form with Le Mercurey doesn't suggest that Native River should have had to work too hard to win and BDM's goose was cooked with the mistake he made four out anyway.

On the other hand, Jacob did report after the race that BDM felt a bit flat and maybe he did believe he could take NR anyway even giving him the start. Maybe he had that level of confidence in the horse.

Either way, having reviewed the race, I'm not quite as despondent about BDM's prospects as I was this time last week.

I just watched last year's again (on mute, I cannot handle Cattermole's call in the race, maybe the worst ever) and I wonder if BDM's connx will copy the ones O'Failoin's Boy had in that race. He got into a smashing rhythm before fading.

I just watched last year's again (on mute, I cannot handle Cattermole's call in the race, maybe the worst ever) and I wonder if BDM's connx will copy the ones O'Failoin's Boy had in that race. He got into a smashing rhythm before fading.

Just so long as he doesn't fade too.

O'Leary just saying its the Ryanair. Do they talk?

Elliot was quoted at the Nash Weights jolly. Maybe he was full of the juice?

I'm covered in the Ryanair now anyway (12/1), so as long as he runs in one or the other, it's no drama.

Last edited:
Back