The Road to the 2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Carlingford Lough had won it twice before running much the same way, and Poli ties it into the Lexus form. It's proper G1 form any way I look at it.

What prices have you about EOD for the Gold Cup Grassy? and are you on NRNB ?
I've just taken some 20/1 E/W 3 places 1/4 the odds NRNB

I tell you what todays race has told me, that Bonny Kate (5L behind Empire of Dirt in November) has a good chance on Saturday if she runs in The Grand National trial at Haydock off 139. :)

Last edited:
Any word from Elliott post race on the participation of don poli and or empire of dirt at Cheltenham??

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

I tell you what todays race has told me, that Bonny Kate (5L behind Empire of Dirt in November) has a good chance on Saturday if she runs in The Grand National trial at Haydock off 139. :)

Make that 140, the BHA are 1lb higher.

She's also got form with Champagne West, which supports my theory there's a 150+ performance within her capabilities.

Last edited:
Assuming Cooper is back fit and well for the festival, Who will he choose for the Gold Cup between Empire Of Dirt, Outlander and Don Poli? The fact he chose Valsuer Lido over both DP & Outlander in the Lexus should tell us that DP is 3rd in the pecking order. And I think Outlander surprised everyone that day. I've just re-watched EOD winning at the festival last year and the Troytown, both times Cooper was on board and the horse responds instantly when Cooper asked him on both occasions. I just have a sneaking suspicion (or pocket talk :whistle:) that Cooper will choose EOD. He has not won on Outlander this season - going 0/3 on him. Outlander is currently half EOD's price for the Gold Cup. If Cooper does choose EOD, those prices will come much closer together.

Last edited:
FFS:D

The Irish staying chasers are rubbish and that's that:D

Tizzard 1-2 without doubt, possible 1-2-3

And if Minella Rocco manages to get round there wont be an Irish horse in the first 4

Hope this helps

Aye, it helps clear your thinking, but it won't affect the result.;)

Last edited:
FFS:D

The Irish staying chasers are rubbish and that's that:D

Tizzard 1-2 without doubt, possible 1-2-3

Would this be a greater achievement than Leicester winning the PL?

And if Minella Rocco manages to get round there wont be an Irish horse in the first 4

Hope this helps

Would Tizzard having 123 in the Gold Cup be the same as Leicester winning the Premier League?

Last edited:
Any word from Elliott post race on the participation of don poli and or empire of dirt at Cheltenham??

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

Elliot has suggested post-race that the Ryanair is likely Festival target for EoD.

I have had a cover bet at 12/1 with Corals.

Elliot has suggested post-race that the Ryanair is likely Festival target for EoD.

I have had a cover bet at 12/1 with Corals.
Ah no!!!!! That is most disappointing news of a Monday morning. I really didn't think that was a possibility considering he got the 3 miles so comfortably in the Troytown, and again yesterday I thought all he was doing was staying on. Now scrambling to check that all my EOD Gold cup bets are NRNB [emoji35]

Indeed.

It is a little surprising that he seems so certain that the Ryanair is the race for him.......though hard to argue with his thinking at the same time. UDS is sure to make it a strong-gallop, which will suit him down to the ground, and the drop back shouldn't be an issue.

Mind you, I'd say he is just about Giggi's best hope for the Gold Cup, and a change of heart isn't something I'm necessarily ruling-out.

The way to go was Ryanair this year and GC next year.

I'm not so sure Euro. In the past I would have agreed with you, but these days I am buying into the theory of strike while the iron is hot more and more. Horses are fragile creatures. SJ may not be in as rude of health come next year. Look at Coneygree. SJ stayed 3 mile yesterday and they think/hope he gets the GC trip now. Why not go for it, as you never know! Vautour and Don Cossack other great recent examples, that any horse may not make it to the following festival at all, never mind in as peak form as SJ is right now. And this is definitely not pocket talk as I also have him backed for the Ryanair!

Last edited:
I'd have no problem with that if SJ had proven or at least semi-proven his stamina yesterday. He didn't imo as they went no pace.

I'd have no problem with that if SJ had proven or at least semi-proven his stamina yesterday. He didn't imo as they went no pace.
But SJ has plenty of pace as he has been a 2 miler past few seasons, finishing 2nd only to Douvan all those times. Kevin Blake commented yesterday that he thought it astonishing that SJ had the stamina to win as he was pulling too hard because they didn't go quick enough for him. If he's right, then the faster pace in the GC will suit him even more.....

Back