The Road To The 2018 Champion Chase

The whole thing is a shambles. It’s great they all race and hopefully they’re all on their A game. Again though the every day man must be looking at this scratching his head it’s almost as stupid as VAR.

Some race now this. Aslong as ST places I don't mind. Got Altior at evens, Got a feeling he mat even go off bigger than that now. Min around 4s, Douvan 9/4 Altior 11/8 I reckon.

can still get 9/2 douvan at hills. shortening everywhere else.

market on the day will be fascinating.

Are we 100% sure on this. I know the rules have changed this year, but i thought there was something about being able to double declare for Grade 1's, no ?

Are we 100% sure on this. I know the rules have changed this year, but i thought there was something about being able to double declare for Grade 1's, no ?

seems you are right
As part of the move to 48 hour declarations for all races at the Cheltenham Festival, no horse will be permitted to declare more than once at the meeting, whether subsequently declared a non-runner or not, unless eliminated from a race or declared as a reserve.

This applies to all races except the six non-novice Grade 1 contests: Stan James Champion Hurdle, OLBG Mares’ Hurdle (Grade 1) (Registered As The David Nicholson Mares’ Hurdle), Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase, Ryanair Chase, Sunbets Stayers’ Hurdle and the Timico Cheltenham Gold Cup.

from this link

https://www.britishhorseracing.com/press_releases/cheltenham-festival-moves-48-hour-declarations/

Last edited:
Rich Ricci said the other day there is no doubt in his mind Douvan will be aimed at the King George if all is well.

So thought now he has been confirmed let's have a look

Just about every half decent chaser in the land quoted NOT ONE bookmaker quoting a price for Douvan.:blink:

Would certainly be glad to see Douvan out of this personally but still await another Mullins Curve ball for the race with either Bachasson or Djackadam.. I'd also be glad to see both of those of the way as well. Wouldn't mind if he threw Yorkhill in at the last minute.

Last edited:
Guess Ruby did not want to have to choose between Douvan and UDS. :rolleyes:

First thing is I have no idea how well fancied Douvan actually is BUT

Ricci never thought this out before opening his gob I reckon. He got some amount of stick re Douvan possibly beating Un Des Sceaux and rightly so as Betbright most likely could end up having millions riding on the race.

Thousands already on UDS and he runs the best horse in the yard against it after saying he was being aimed at the QMCC

He'd have been booed out of Cheltenham and rightly so.

Ruby riding Douvan instead of Min tells us very little as Altior would have to run a stone below his best for him to get near him.

At least Douvan has a chance......a great one if he is as in good nick as Ruby says.

I could see all 3 going at it from some way out and all 3 wont get home. I can see Min folding in a heap after being outclassed weakening badly and something grabbing 3rd.

If he is long odds on to be placed I will certainly place lay him for a few quid on....

Really fancied Special Tiara to get placed in this, having looked at the waterlogged track I'm much less confident than I once was.

I'd better my bottom dollar they did. Be interesting to see if they declare Douvan for Ryanair in the morning.
makes sense to declare both him and Min, if they unseated early in the Queen Mum gives them a 2nd chance.

of course when they do get declared social media will explode as usual

makes sense to declare both him and Min, if they unseated early in the Queen Mum gives them a 2nd chance.

of course when they do get declared social media will explode as usual

It isn't allowed anymore. 1 race only at the festival now.

It isn't allowed anymore. 1 race only at the festival now.

covered this on the last page, it's allowed in the all age grade 1's
As part of the move to 48 hour declarations for all races at the Cheltenham Festival, no horse will be permitted to declare more than once at the meeting, whether subsequently declared a non-runner or not, unless eliminated from a race or declared as a reserve.

This applies to all races except the six non-novice Grade 1 contests: Stan James Champion Hurdle, OLBG Mares’ Hurdle (Grade 1) (Registered As The David Nicholson Mares’ Hurdle), Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase, Ryanair Chase, Sunbets Stayers’ Hurdle and the Timico Cheltenham Gold Cup.

Back