• Buveur D'Air

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • Faugheen

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He's also entered in the 2m 6f on the opening day though and I reckon it's a coin toss between the two novice events. Would really shake up (aka add further confusion to) the Cheltenham novice markets were he to run in the Delloite and win well though.

i was the same. quick profile check shows he's a 6yo import from france that's unraced in the uk. owned by gigi.

Arcenfete won a minor event at Auteuil in receipt of weight, in a race that has singularly-failed to work-out over time.

Is a complete no hoper in a Champion Hurdle.

The one that caught my eye in that list is Cliffs Of Dover for Nicholls.

Considering he trains the likes of Old Guard, a horse not far off 160, and didn't even enter him for the race, as well as so many other decent hurdlers in the stable, it's eyecatching - to me at any rate! - that he's entered the 145-rated Cliffs Of Dover who has been off for a full year.

Nicholls presumably rates him a 160+ hurdler so I've taken him ante-post for the Betfair Hurdle at prices in the 30s. He might not get there but if he turns up on the day it's unlikely he'll be that kind of price.

I like your thinking DO and another along the same lines is Call Me Lord, though suspect he's substantially shorter than Cliffs Of Dover for the Betfair

I like your thinking DO and another along the same lines is Call Me Lord, though suspect he's substantially shorter than Cliffs Of Dover for the Betfair

He is shorter for the Betfair mate 16's last time I checked he's one I've had a serious interest in more for the Champion hurdle ( see betfair hurdle thread for reasoning ). I would just say before taking any interest in him for the Betfair though take into consideration that he's down to run in the Champion Hurdle trial at Haydock this weekend. Although I believe the weights come out today or tomorrow the Betfair hurdle he would carry a 5lb penalty (I think it is) if he wins on Saturday. Probably won't run Saturday as it'd be his second heavy ground slog in as many weeks which is a lot for a young horse but just be aware of the situation if you were going to take a punt.

He is shorter for the Betfair mate 16's last time I checked he's one I've had a serious interest in more for the Champion hurdle ( see betfair hurdle thread for reasoning ). I would just say before taking any interest in him for the Betfair though take into consideration that he's down to run in the Champion Hurdle trial at Haydock this weekend. Although I believe the weights come out today or tomorrow the Betfair hurdle he would carry a 5lb penalty (I think it is) if he wins on Saturday. Probably won't run Saturday as it'd be his second heavy ground slog in as many weeks which is a lot for a young horse but just be aware of the situation if you were going to take a punt.

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/betfair-hurdle-weights:-lalor-on-track/141554

Defi Du Seuil is 14-1 in some lists for the Irish Champion Hurdle which is another race with an unclear outlook given the uncertainty over the hot favourite Faugheen after his shock Christmas defeat at Leopardstown.
“Philip’s horses were going through a bad run then and the horse performed badly [at Ascot]. It wasn’t like the horse to run like that. But Philip’s horses are back on track. He’s having a few winners again and hopefully that’s behind him,” Berry said.

No word on his prep option, Granger?

I expect the Betfair Hurdle is looking most likely now, as I think BDA is pencilled-in for the Contenders at Sandown. If so, he'd want to be going very-close, off a mark of 157......though he would at least get the race run to suit.

Missed this snippet yesterday:

“Buveur D’air goes to Sandown. He’s in at Leopardstown just in case something happens with the weather. If everything goes to plan Defi Du Seuil is the one for the Irish Champion. As long as his work is good he goes there,”

Have had a bash at the 14/1 for the ICH. Take BDA, Samcro and Yorkhill out......and a chance that Faugheen isn't right......and it's wide-open. Hopefully he runs and gets his season back on track.

Last edited:
If 7 or less runners I imagine Faugheen and Melon the first two, but taking into account what happened last time and 14s will look good if he gets there.

Missed this snippet yesterday:

“Buveur D’air goes to Sandown. He’s in at Leopardstown just in case something happens with the weather. If everything goes to plan Defi Du Seuil is the one for the Irish Champion. As long as his work is good he goes there,”

Have had a bash at the 14/1 for the ICH. Take BDA, Samcro and Yorkhill out......and a chance that Faugheen isn't right......and it's wide-open. Hopefully he runs and gets his season back on track.

Last season's Triumph Hurdle winner was beaten in the Coral Hurdle when last seen, and was taken out of the Betfair Hurdle at Newbury at the latest entry stage.

However, the Philip Hobbs-trained hurdler is set to step back up to the highest level in the BHP Insurance Irish Champion Hurdle on February 3.

Frank Berry, racing manager for owner JP McManus, said: "I think the plan is to head to Ireland with him, but we should know more later in the week."

Who the fu*ck, exactly, would know more about it than Frank Berry?

Presumably waiting on Defi working OK, before making a decision. FFS. This mob are a pain in the hole!!

I’ve backed My Tent at 13/2 each way NRNB, 3 places, 1/4 odds in Bet365’s betting without Buveur D’air market.

There are doubts about the participation of most of the list above him in the market, which is Faugheen, Yorkill, Min and Melon. The same goes for those directly beneath him; Defi Du Seuil, The New One and Apples Jade.

It’s very hard IMO to see MTOY not finish in the first four places, assuming one of the places is taken by Buveur D’air and unless a peak form Faugheen turns up he’s as good a chance as any of filling the runner up spot for the 4th time so 13/2 each way in a race which could really cut up is too big.

For me he’d have the beating of Melon. The Mullins horse pulled hard in the International but MTOY wasn’t much better, despite showing an improvement in his older years but is more likely to be suited to the often better March ground.

Last edited:
I can’t have MTOY finishing in front of Melon next time. The latter will get a 6lbs pull for a couple of lengths, and on my viewing of the International, pulled considerably harder than MTOY did throughout the race.

I can’t have MTOY finishing in front of Melon next time. The latter will get a 6lbs pull for a couple of lengths, and on my viewing of the International, pulled considerably harder than MTOY did throughout the race.

On the other hand MTOY put in a vastly better performance in the 2017 International than in his 2016/7 season pre Champion runs . I agree with Wilson - a very good chance of him coming second again .

Last edited:
As much as I would normally agree that not everything should be at Cheltenham - there must be a good case for Jockey Club Racecourses seeking to transfer the Champion Hurdle Trial always run in a bog at Haydock with nil influence on the CH to Festival Trials day ?

Back