The Road to the 2019 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Tout Est Permis really hit the line hard yesterday.

Handicapper has raised him to 157, are is surely on the upgrade.

Has to come into the equation for the Ryanair on the New course.

Tout Est Permis really hit the line hard yesterday.

Handicapper has raised him to 157, are is surely on the upgrade.

Has to come into the equation for the Ryanair on the New course.

Needs a trip and ground on the softer side

Lovely horse for the future. Would worry about him at championship pace on holiday ground over that trip

A lot of that family from the damline that Aidan Aherne bred have been most effective with cut in the ground.

His 3 best RPRs have all been at 3 miles which imv is a more accurate indicator than 1 from 7 at 3 miles.

Think he will be outpaced in a good ground Ryanair.

Frodon to go for this if he stays in the Cotswold.

Wise decision? If he does stay he'd have as much chance as anyone, really wide open this year.

Speaking of the Cotswold and Gold Cup, I see forum member Desert Orchid has backed Frodon for The Gold Cup, in the event he wins Saturday.

I'm actually considering going even further 'left field' than this, because having looked through American's form, I believe that despite his last few awful performances, there is a lot of raw ability in this horse. He's a horse who beat Rock The Kasbah eight lengths while giving him six pounds just under two years ago in March 2017. He has been well fancied in races since then, but simply cannot have been under any circumstances his usual self.

Now returning from a near three month break, not only will I stick him in Saturdays Lucky 15, but I also can't help having an Each Way bet for The Gold Cup at 100/1. The last time I pulled a stunt like this, was when backing Champagne West at similar odds for The Gold Cup, (just before he hacked up in a handicap in Ireland), which from memory was The Thyestes Handicap Chase. Champagne West turned out to be out of his depth on the day and went backwards afterwards, but I got some excellent each way value in any event.

It is a big ask, but yes, I'm having a go on American at 100-1 each way for The Gold Cup.

Last edited:
From the Weekender twitter feed:
"'I think we should give him credit for what he is and that's a rapidly improving stayer with gears - and that makes him a seriously dangerous beast'

The Gold Cup is next on @PaulKealyRP's hit list in his Cheltenham ante-post series - read his preview in this week's @RPWeekender"

I haven't seen the article but I think we all know who he's talking about. :cool:

From the Weekender twitter feed:
"'I think we should give him credit for what he is and that's a rapidly improving stayer with gears - and that makes him a seriously dangerous beast'

The Gold Cup is next on @PaulKealyRP's hit list in his Cheltenham ante-post series - read his preview in this week's @RPWeekender"

I haven't seen the article but I think we all know who he's talking about. :cool:

Yes. I've got the article. He tips both K (2 stars) and ABP (1 star).

I'm actually considering going even further 'left field' than this, because having looked through American's form, I believe that despite his last few awful performances, there is a lot of raw ability in this horse. He's a horse who beat Rock The Kasbah eight lengths while giving him six pounds just under two years ago in March 2017. He has been well fancied in races since then, but simply cannot have been under any circumstances his usual self.

Now returning from a near three month break, not only will I stick him in Saturdays Lucky 15, but I also can't help having an Each Way bet for The Gold Cup at 100/1. The last time I pulled a stunt like this, was when backing Champagne West at similar odds for The Gold Cup, (just before he hacked up in a handicap in Ireland), which from memory was The Thyestes Handicap Chase. Champagne West turned out to be out of his depth on the day and went backwards afterwards, but I got some excellent each way value in any event.

It is a big ask, but yes, I'm having a go on American at 100-1 each way for The Gold Cup.

Fry's stable tour is in the Weekender. He says American is very difficult to keep right and struggles to stand the rigours of training.

If I were going to back a horse for the Gold Cup at big odds in anticipation of a decent showing on Saturday then it'd be Minella Rocco @ 50s. He's had a wind op since his last run and might get his ground this year, something he never had last season.

Fry's stable tour is in the Weekender. He says American is very difficult to keep right and struggles to stand the rigours of training.

Fair enough, but they don't win prizes on the gallops. It's only four or five starts ago since his form has deteriorated. I think he deserves another chance after a decent break from the track.
I'll have a go at the 100-1 for The Gold Cup each way, once I see him in the final declarations for this Saturday.

The odds are stacked against me, so please go easy on me if comes nowhere. :)

Last edited:
If I were going to back a horse for the Gold Cup at big odds in anticipation of a decent showing on Saturday then it'd be Minella Rocco @ 50s. He's had a wind op since his last run and might get his ground this year, something he never had last season.

I did Terrefort a few weeks back @ 66/1.
His defeat of Elegant Escape at Aintree puts him not far behind Presenting Percy. He obviously disappointed first time out at Sandown, but a physical issue came to light. He also beat Cyrname as a Novice who hosed up at Ascot on Saturday.
At the price worth a tickle I thought.

Last edited:
An awful lot to like about Invitation Only's performance.
Thyestes winners off top or near top weight are Gold Cup horses usually.
The only proviso is Ruby's statement on RTE2 that handicap inflation has been happening over the last few years and some deflation is needed for balance.
He questions the horses' rating off 152 plus whatever he gets , but being a Flemensfirth chaser he should keep improving .
I think my buddy E P Harty missed a trick not running Coney Island as the race would have made a man of him and they would better know their horses' ability., but that's me.

Presenting Percy’s owner Philip Reynolds has indicated that the Stayers’ Hurdle would be considered as a fallback option if circumstances were to conspire against them. The Gold Cup is plan A. If he were to miss the Red Mills Chase for any reason or if things don’t go to plan in that, then the Stayers’ Hurdle could come into the equation.

Thoroughly admirable horse and jockey.

On paper they had 8lb in hand on the placed horses so it will be interesting to see what the handicapper makes of it.

Back