The Road To The 2021 Champion Hurdle

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...

- He's yet to post a piece of form to really justify second favouritism for the Champion Hurdle
- He's hung badly right on more than one occasion
- He's had "issues", as evident in the International

are just cliches and thus meaningless

So...

- He's yet to post a piece of form to really justify second favouritism for the Champion Hurdle

I didn't say meaningless, but now that you have added it in, I'll agree.

The problem is that everyone is just interested in speaking in cliches.

Well it has always been an uphill callenge for any Triumph winner...many say Tanlic was lucky and the only real champion that has emerged waas Persia War 50 odd years ago..fact

Last edited:
Well it has alw an uphill challenge for any Triumph winner...many say Tanlic was lucky and the only real champion that has emerged was Persia War 50 odd years ago

Would that be Katchit :lol:

Well it has always been an uphill callenge for any Triumph winner...many say Tanlic was lucky and the only real champion that has emerged waas Persia War 50 odd years ago..fact

I doubt Burning Victory will buck that trend this year.

I'm just glad we're having this debate re Goshen.

I was starting to wonder if he'd ever come back to anywhere near like his best form.

For me, his participation in the Champion Hurdle in itself has made my festival this season.

Let's not start slagging each other off or turn this debate toxic. It needn't be so.

FWIW my thoughts on the CH are pretty simple.

Goshen and Honeysuckle will be the only two left battling it out in the final four furlongs. Goshen will pull clear 2F out, with Epatante staying on from mid pack for 3rd place.

I'm quite happy with my 5s Goshen.

I can't see him out of the first 2 let alone 3 places.

I had to do him each way in my big patent as my other two horses were 10s and 16s. So I took the safest option.

Last edited:
So...

To be fair, he's only had 2 opportunities, and the'issue' is therefore tautologous.
Hanging right might be a problem, but far from insurmountable, particularly on the Old Course.

To be fair, he's only had 2 opportunities, and the issue is therefore tautologous.
Hanging right might be a problem, but far from insurmountable, particularly on the Old Course.

He does it more when under pressure. The new course only has 2 hurdles in the last 7 furlongs. On the old course, he has to jump more of them when he will be under pressure.

He does it more when under pressure. The new course only has 2 hurdles in the last 7 furlongs. On the old course, he has to jump more of them when he will be under pressure.

Another cliche coming hard and fast.

goshen.JPG

Goshen on his worst day hurdling, jumping the flight under which he was under most pressure, jumping to the left. Pick me the flight from the Triumph where he jumped out to his right.

This nonsense came from Jamie Moore allowing him to run down his flights, when NOT under any pressure, at Sandown and Ascot when 20l clear. Can remember Moore being perplexed when people called it an issue at the time.

There are plenty of reasons why Goshen wont win the champion, but all we get are the cliches.

Last edited:
View attachment 2591

Goshen on his worst day hurdling, jumping the flight under which he was under most pressure, jumping to the left. Pick me the flight from the Triumph where he jumped out to his right.

This nonsense came from Jamie Moore allowing him to run down his flights, when NOT under any pressure, at Sandown and Ascot when 20l clear. Can remember Moore being perplexed when people called it an issue at the time.

There are plenty of reasons why Goshen won't win the champion, but all we get are the cliches.

In the triumph, he only had two to jump in the final mile, he failed on the 2nd because he had no room to go down the flight, as he was up against the rail..

That's something you have manufactured in your head.

https://twitter.com/RCFarquhar/status/1238464928530468865?s=20

You are right, I did manufacture it in my head. It was an opinion I had after watching the race numerous times. So you can imagine how I felt when I heard Jamie Moore say exactly the same thing in a video the Moores released on facebook straight after he won on Saturday!

They are of the opinion that he got his feet tangled because he couldn't stretch out down the flight!

Last edited:
You are right, I did manufacture it in my head. It was an opinion I had after watching the race numerous times. So you can imagine how I felt when I heard Jamie Moore say exactly the same thing in a video the Moores released on facebook straight after he won on Saturday!

They are of the opinion that he got his feet tangled because he couldn't stretch out down the flight!

Thats not saying that he wanted to hang right. Can you copy the clip? Gary Moore told Tom Stanley on Nick Luck's podcast (mondays) that he wasn't expecting a hurdle and would have preferred more jumps. To me they are refusing to put it down to one of those things. Manufacture away.

Check out his Goodwood run, from 2f out towards the end of last flat season and tell me this horse doesn't want to go right

It's hard for a 5 yr old in the champion but GOSHEN was so impressive last year and I'm a big fan.
My conspiracy theory was Gary Moore wanted a bigger price.
For what it's worth I've got a little trixie with Goshen at 25s.and that silly ew bet for 2022 with Goshen at 33s.
But stupidly no singles.

Thats not saying that he wanted to hang right. Can you copy the clip? Gary Moore told Tom Stanley on Nick Luck's podcast (mondays) that he wasn't expecting a hurdle and would have preferred more jumps. To me they are refusing to put it down to one of those things. Manufacture away.

I've searched everywhere, believe me, I want to find it!

It's hard for a 5 yr old in the champion but GOSHEN was so impressive last year and I'm a big fan.
My conspiracy theory was Gary Moore wanted a bigger price.

That crossed my mind, probably crossed DO's too, the way he thinks:lol:

Maxbet, what price do you think would be a fair one?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Maxbet, what price do you think would be a fair one?

Well, he either proves to be a monster in which case the 3/1 would look good in hindsight, but we don't have that luxury. The 20/1 before he ran does look good now, but not so good if the Goshen of his previous 3 runs turns up. I do believe it will take some balls to get it right to pull him in if he is on his game and overcomes all the cliches!

I won't be backing him.

edit: Rachael Blakemore will get up his inside 3 out and make sure he's put under pressure, she gains a length over each of the last two hurdles as he wobbles about up the run in:lol:

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back