The Road To The 2021 Cheltenham Gold Cup

I never fully understand the trainers who send out the horse to run turbo charged when it is as plain as day that the horse won't and cannot maintain the gallop

Al Boum was justas he is laid out to be - effortless and an easy day out

He didnt look wonderfully bothered by the day either. Glorified schooling session. All at Closutton will be happy

Probably a training run, as it would have been for most of the field, considering the long absences and paltry prize money. Wouldn't get too exercised about it though; it happens quite regulalrly in Irish jump racing.

I see Imperial Aura showing blue on oddschecker with a few firms for the Gold Cup tonight.

The only one that showed blue for the Gold Cup on Oddschecker was Betfred...and they have gone NRNB.

He actually went blue on all the exchanges for the RyanAir...I aways fear when this happens....expect an announcement!

I dont know, Do. Maybe he has.

I just thought with the lack in depth in quality in this years Gold Cup it might be worth going for it.

Willie on ABP

“He just idled but once he got close to him around the home-turn, to beat a 150 horse 19 lengths could be as good as any performance over Christmas.”

I dont know, Do. Maybe he has.

I just thought with the lack in depth in quality in this years Gold Cup it might be worth going for it.

I'm not so sure about a lack of quality. ABP is a decent enough title-holder and if he wins a third they'll be saying he's another Arkle/Best Mate (yawn). Santini and LIT can't be discounted yet as they're probably being trained with one day in mind. Then there's last year's RSA horses entitled to improve 10lbs into their second season, which would put them at least in the same ball park as ABP.

I'm keeping an open mind for now on the overall quality of the race.

Before you look at the field, try and guess the horse top rated by RPR.

Depends if they're listed on current ratings or career-best.

I'll guess BDM. I know they have him on 177. I don't think they've gone that high with the other principals this season.

It would be pretty meaningless in the big scheme of things as we know he is never quite at his best at Cheltenham.

I guess BDM also. I think they gave him a monster rating for that Betfair chase he won by half the track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saint Calvados backers and other assorted optimists should know the fate of their ante-posts bets at the end of the month, as he runs in the Cotswold Chase. Whittington has confirmed the horse will run in the Ryanair, if he fails to see out the trip (has come out of the King George “raring to go”).

Last edited:
With a series of small(ish) wagers at 60+ there hardly seems any point. Will definitely hold until I see how he gets on at. If he blows, I have cover in some multiples in the Ryanair anyway.

I held firm on my 66/1 Gold Cup bet, but PP going no runner no bet means I can't cash out now, so that's a second reason why it would be good for him to run a big race in the Cotswold Chase.

[FONT=&quot]Irish Gold Cup entries:[/FONT]
https://www.irishracing.com/card?rac...d=202102071540

[FONT=&quot]What I take from them:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- no entry for Allaho. Either they have decided on the Ryanair or something is amiss.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- entry for Melon. Still keeping their options open.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- entry for A Plus Tard days after HdB said they would probably go straight to the Gold Cup.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- entries for Gordon's Savills failures.[/FONT]

Hoping Melon goes Gold Cup.

Patrick hinted they’re bsck to the drawing board with Allaho. Wonder if they’ll give him rest of the season off?

Hoping Melon goes Gold Cup.

Patrick hinted they’re bsck to the drawing board with Allaho. Wonder if they’ll give him rest of the season off?

Do you think they will go GC? Will Donnelly want two darts at it or have ABP for this and then make the Ryanair a crazy test?

I’ve had a small dart at Melon for the GC at 50s on the exchange.

The Donnellys had no problem running Asterion Forlonge against Shishkin in the Supreme and this is the Gold Cup so if you have two horses good enough to run...

He's a flat bred though and hasn't looked to be crying out for three and a quarter miles so it's near impossible to see how he can turn the Savills form around with the more stoutly bred A Plus Tar over the extra yardage.

If he were mine he'd be going Ryanair for sure but Willie could probably field a dozen runners in that race already.

But Asterion and Shishkin have different trainers so that could be a reason, and both were at the top of the market. I do take your point though!

I do also agree Ryanair but just think if they held on to him until the last in a Gold Cup he might, just might stay!

Very hard to hold on to a horse until the last in the Gold Cup. Rare you'll see one coming there on the bridle and fail to get home, they go too fast. Especially if Frodon and/or Native River turn up.

I think he goes Gold Cup Melon, my 66s hopes he does as well.

Ryanair:
Min
Allaho
Tornado Flyer

Gold Cup:
Al Boum
Kemboy
Melon

Back