The Road to the Grand National 2011

Or Noir de Somoza, calgarry bay, becauseicouldnt see and Majestic Concorde all done at tote odds

Quinz was on my list of 11, but not my list of 7. He was the hardest one to remove and the one I fear.

I am big on Oscar Time, 18 in win market, 4.9 in place. Have also had shilling bets on 5 others.

Johnson horses always well schooled for the race - would be wrong not to have small bets on Santa's Son, Royal Rosa and Tidal Bay

My neighbour who wanted horses whose name begins with the same letters has also gone for ROYAL ROSA, Shadz, although I offered to bung a tenner of VIC VENTURI for her earlier. She said she'd also backed WHAT A FRIEND before she remembered it was owned by "that awful man" - she's a massive Fulham fan!

Just had to snigger at John Hunt just now, crisply reading out his portion of the list of runners (live): "... and BALLABRIGGS - he runs in the HEDGEHUNTER cunters - colours... "

The final long..shortlist

Midnight Club
Killyglen
Calgary Bay
West End Rocker
Vic Venturi
Majestic Concorde

The Gold Cup was majestic, a race of a lifetime.

That race makes me glad the Guineas is less than a month away. Bypassing Beechers?? What a load of old shit.

2 dead horses at least.

BBC cameras take in a full view of the dead horse at bechers.

Two fences missed out, including bechers.

Looked like a total disaster to me.

That was pretty horrific. But this is the game....can't imagine the winner will make the headlines tomorrow though.

I got first, fourth and sixth out of my seven. The first two backed e/w 5 places, the third backed e/w with 6.

Was a great race to watch and im pleased for Mccain. Who wouldnt be?

But each passing year i get more queasy about the carnage. Its not good whichever way you look at it

Delighted with that for Jason Maguire, Trevor Hemmings and especially Donald McCain - he is a gentleman and very unassuming young man and an excellent patient trainer!!

This is going be a disaster for racing. Shocking race, and I used to love the national.

Terrible BBC coverage, cutting to their stock film just minutes before the off, ruining the build up, and then the director sticking to their stupid camera directly over bechers as a horse is lying dead.

A right balls up.

No.I read somewhere that spring is getting hotter and summer wetter as the years go by. I seriously think the powers that be should think about bringing Cheltenham and Aintree back a few weeks. Have the Festival at the end of February and Liverpool in mid March.

It's a bit of a PR job to turn this around now. Bechers second time around is arguably the highlight of the race, the real business end. It was skipped this year. That's hard to explain to people who only tune in once a year...

Well done Shadz!

Reckon there'll be plenty of headlines due to the Mccain factor.

Who were the fatalities?

Back