The Road to the Punchestown Festival

I was seriously thinking about doing a big double and buying some money on Hurricane Fly and Un Atout but I have decided not to.

As daft as it may seem I am more worried about Hurricane Fly than I am Un Atout winning.

Rock On Ruby ran well at Cheltenham when Hurricane Fly trounced him but I reckon Rock On Ruby is better than that. They knew how to beat Hurricane Fly but the execution of their plan left a lot to be desired IMO. Most likely it didn't make any difference and Hurricane Fly would have won anyway but on this type of ground horses don't always find what you expect them to.

If Noel Fehily can inject enough pace at the right time he could just get Hurricane Fly at it and steal the race.

Forgive me I can't remember who said it was a telescope job but I disagree. I can see this being very close and a lot different than the betting suggests. Hurricane Fly is a worthy champion and can be considered unlucky not to have won 4 Champion Hurdles but Rock On Ruby is a true champion in his own right plus you could say he's really only been at his peak once this season so he'll be going here like a fresh horse fighting fit.

I can see this being a right set to and no steering job

Last edited:
I was seriously thinking about doing a big double and buying some money on Hurricane Fly and Un Atout but I have decided not to.

As daft as it may seem I am more worried about Hurricane Fly than I am Un Atout winning.

Rock On Ruby ran well at Cheltenham when Hurricane Fly trounced him but I reckon Rock On Ruby is better than that. They knew how to beat Hurricane Fly but the execution of their plan left a lot to be desired IMO. Most likely it didn't make any difference and Hurricane Fly would have won anyway but on this type of ground horses don't always find what you expect them to.

If Noel Fehily can inject enough pace at the right time he could just get Hurricane Fly at it and steal the race.

Forgive me I can't remember who said it was a telescope job but I disagree. I can see this being very close and a lot different than the betting suggests. Hurricane Fly is a worthy champion and can be considered unlucky not to have won 4 Champion Hurdles but Rock On Ruby is much better than he's used to meeting plus you could say he's really only been at his peak once this season so he'll be going here like a fresh horse fighting fit.

I can see this being a right set to that could go either way

I am Mr Telescope. :D

Hurricane Fly will float over this ground - which is against RoR in comparison (imo). I take Thousand Stars for the forecast - albeit at a suitabley respectful distance. TS left his winter-ground form far behind him at Aintree, and he can get Rock On Ruby off the bridle in this ground.

HF wins this hard-held.

Having gone in on "overs" on winning distances today I'm hoping for a telescope but wont bank on Ruby extending HF, winning easily.

Last edited:
In the light of the discussions before Cheltenham and the subsequent revelations about the sectionals, surely HF is far too short? We know the race fell into his lap because they went over-fast so there's no way ROR will do that again. If ROR runs the same way as in last year's race there's no way HF beats him out of sight. I've taken the 9/2.

Luckiest horse in training

Every time he races a combination of the pace/ground/incompetence of other jockeys/alignment of the stars - take your pick - set up a situation where he somehow ends up winning, often comfortably.

Or maybe he's just better

Luckiest horse in training

Every time he races a combination of the pace/ground/incompetence of other jockeys/alignment of the stars - take your pick - set up a situation where he somehow ends up winning, often comfortably.

talking sh1te there bobbyjo

its a discussion board...every horse gets analysed...

i see plenty of plaudits for HF

Sigh, so serious

If people think Hurricane was gifted the race at Cheltenham when the rider of the runner-up offered the opinion that ROR had run a better race than 2012 well, I guess people might never agree on that. Can talk about sectionals all day - and some of the analysis that has been done on this topic on this forum is genuinely very interesting - but you can also become a slave to them too. I'd view the exceptional horses of a generation in a different light. They win because they are better.

If people think Hurricane was gifted the race at Cheltenham when the rider of the runner-up offered the opinion that ROR had run a better race than 2012 well, I guess people might never agree on that.

Much as I love the horse Overturn held the form down in 2011 so Noel's comments makes sense. I think Ruby gave the front two too much rope that day and they were able to have a breather which enabled them to hold on.

yes he was two years ago as well..when he started that thread in the same vein

i'll have laugh and banter with anyone..but he posts rarely and usually in the same vein..and same target..then it was Hamm and me

its no problem to me..but i will pass comment;)

Oscar Delta would be a very good result for me with trebles and an accum dependent on him. Tell me there is no tape on the run in?? (harsh)

Back