The Road to the Queen Mother

Hamm, I need a like button for your post there - everyone seems to have forgotten him !!

Hopefully he will go to Kempton, theres 3 weeks to go yet though !!

Last edited:
Big Zeb was the reigning QM champ when SE routed him last March and was beaten with no excuses

Hamm, do you want to answer that one? I believe we had this discussion before Zeb beat SE at Punchestown. But I'll frustrate Hamm with my insider knowledge again!! Careful now, if you listen too much to me you might hear my emotions!!

Anyway, at the top end Zeb needs good quick ground. He's like Inca. He wins races on soft ground but his preference is good ground. As I said after Cheltenham last season, the ground was just not quick enough for him in March. I was standing beside young Fogarty and he told me passing the stands that Zeb would make mistakes because of the ground. And so he did. Also, he should have engaged SE early but his jumping was not good enough to keep him up with him. If the ground is on the quick side, I could see him running very well. He is very very consistent and you know he will be in the three.

After the King George connections of Captain Chris will realise the error of their ways and aim him at the Queen Mother where he will duly collect his crown.

He did fantastically well to win after that. He looks the only challenger to Sizing after that. Impressive return all things considered.

Are you joking? 2m is a near maximum for him, the horse is all speed. For me, the horse is a typical 2m chaser, and wouldn't stay very much further. It was his burst of speed after being nursed back into the race that won it for him.

As a Sizing Europe supporter for the QM, I'm still happy after today's results.

Last edited:
Ground will be fine for them both. It's all about what will Finian's find and can he not run too free. Sizing will be hard to pass to be fair.

I think its looking like a cracking renewal. I think zeb is still a fine horse, Finians winning like that today after clattering one shows the talent that he has and of course there is the the champ

Moscow, Azerty, Well Chief they are not, but good horses they all are

The champ is still the one to beat mind

Today's form is probably not all that much to write home about, to be honest, but I think it was an entirely satisfactory return by Finian's Rainbow.

He found a leg when he needed to, and rallied in really game fashion when asked the question. Generally, he jumped well, and will have learned loads from this outing; though he still needs to find a degree of improvement yet, if he is to trouble an on-song Sizing Europe.

I hope the horse comes out of the race ok, and would like to see Henderson get another run into him before Cheltenham - the Game Spirit seeming like a logical target. If they can find a way to harness his enthusiasm (and racing against better horses may help), he might just be capable of getting into the finish of the Champion Chase, against two rivals who are clearly no longer progressive themselves.

Last edited:
Finian Rainbow would never have gotten back from a mistake like that a couple of season's back. He impressed me and looks to have improved if anything but then again I've always been a fan of the horse so I'm biased,

Could he beat Sizing Europe? of course he could but will he is another question.

Such a huge leap from Arkle to QMCC I would have to stay on the side of Sizing Europe at least for the time being. Wouldn't be backing anything AP that's for sure.

Back