The Road to the Queen Mother

You had to be impressed with the way Finians fought back. Certainly entitled to run a good race in the Champion Chase. I'm still siding with Captain Chris (assuming his connections decide on this).

He doesn't fit the profile of classic Arkle winner for me and i've seen nothing this year to wow me. Ryanair would seem better option for me. If they are serious about QM, he should take on Finians at Ascot

I like Finians but prefer CC. If you want to win the Champion Chase now is probably not the time to be wowing, but his form is very solid. I just hope he lines up.

Am I the only one who thinks the first two are the wrong way round in the betting?

I know Sizing Europe doesn't show his best round Punchestown and that the soft/heavy ground won't be ideal but 11/8 in what is essentially a match looks very fair indeed. I am unconvinced by the strength of Big Zeb's form this season too.

I hadn't planned on having abet but this is tempting me and I'd be very pleased if that price was obliterated before I do!

Thoughts . . . ?

Big Zeb is a more consistent type in so far that he nearly always gives an 8/10 in his races

Sizing hits the 9/10 mark at Cheltenham and dips below 8 sometimes in races like this Sunday. I'm guessing that is the viewpoint that the bookies are using.

In saying that Sizing was wonderful at Sandown and a repeat of that and he won't be beaten

HDB this evening... "Main priority on Sunday is that he gets a good blow, jumps well and comes back safe and sound."

I wouldn't aim Captain Chris at the Queen Mother, though I wouldn't have aimed him at the Arkle last season.:)

I'd build 2 long brick wall and stick 2 6ft wide fences in between them and make him jump the fences 1000 times before I'd let him anyhwere near a race course again. He's a danger to other horses the way he is jumping at the moment. Have to agree though QMCC would be a waste of time. I reckon Sizing Europe and Big Zeb are in a different league to Finian's Rainbow.

I would be surprised if either horse is spot on for the weekend.

If you owned Big Zeb and had been kicked into touch by Sizing Europe in the QMCC the previous year logically this race would be your best chance of beating him. Wouldn't you want to be grabbing it with both hands?

It's a very similar situation to Kauto Star and Long Run in the Betfair.

No doubt in my mind Sizing Europe is the better horse but his trainer is hinting he's not going to be 100% wheras I reckon if Big Zeb's connections are realists he will be.

I'd have to side with Big Zeb but perhaps it's a race that's better just to watch and not to bet in.

Last edited:
With nothing in the field capable of setting the kind of pace to test the big 2, it's bound to favour Big Zeb, even on heavy ground.
It will be a completely different story at Cheltenham though, and hopefully Sizing Europe's price will be even more generous, after this weekend.

I think Sizing Europe wins today and I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him winning by over ten lengths.Big Zeb is a good horse but
in my opinion Sizing is better.I think the expectation that Sizing will get the same kind of run as he got in the race last year is responsible for his price but last year he was stepping down from 3 mikes and a difficult Christmas where he was trained for a run that didn't happen.

Back