The Road to the Queen Mother

Is 11/4 Sizing Europe not the bleeding obvious bet? He runs anywhere close to form, he wins.

To be fair, three quarters of the field haven't been given the chance to race against the opposition Sizing Europe has so we'll never be able to use Sizing Europes form as an advantage over the others as there are too many unknown variables.

Which leaves Sizing Europe, who's record suggests he is vulnerable at this time of year, and not exactly guaranteed to put up a 160+ performance - though it would very likely be close enough.

I'm not buying the spring horse thing. As a hurdler his best form was achieved in the depths of November and January.

SIzing Europe has won 7 of his 12 races in the Oct - Dec period, and 5 of them within a month of his previous outing.
For mine, he ran the race of his life (considering ground and distance) in his latest at Down Royal, and I can't see where any of the novices are anywhere near his standard.

So who would you back with the gun to your head Grassy?

Gun to my head, I'd probably plump for 11/4 about Sizing Europe, granger - on price grounds.

I'm not saying Sizing Europe is a spring horse, Euro. He's perfectly capable of decent form in the early winter, but his spring form is measurably better than at other times of the year, imo.

If Sizing Europe can run to 165 on Saturday, he's a good thing. If he runs to 160, then maybe he isn't, for the reasons given above. If my theory about Finian's Rainbow turns out to be the Emmental I threatened it might be, then SE is back to being a good thing.

Be good to see how matters transpire.

Is 11/4 Sizing Europe not the bleeding obvious bet? He runs anywhere close to form, he wins.

If they all ran to their previous best you are right SE would win (which is presumably why he's favourite). However, they are not fixed quantities - some are improving others will run to something less than their best. I'm undecided, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if Finian's or Wishfull were able to win this.

Is he a definite runner? If so then happy Christmas from Boylesports!

From the HDB website.....

Sizing Europe will line up in the Grade One Tingle Creek over two miles on Saturday. He had a fairly tough race at Down Royal when running a blinder last time out but his weight is good and he seems in good form at home so we're happy to let him take his chance here. As we've always maintained he's a much better horse on better ground so we'll be hoping the rain stays away between now and Saturday. The Tingle Creek is always such a fantastic spectacle and we're all very much looking forward to it.

i think it would be dangerous to judge SE on his Cheltenham form on Saturday. Sandown is a nippy 2 miles .yes its got the steep finish..but you can have lost before you get to that point....not forced to suit SE at all..2 miles rould here requires speed..SE looks like a stiff 2 miles or 2.5 miles on a big galloping track suits him..he's a big horse isn't he?

not for me anyway

Sandown is all about jumping. I can see Sizing Europe excelling there provided the ground is not too soft.

Ground won't be testing. Chase course is still good to firm in places and less than 10mm rain forceast all week. They watered today! His jumping has been sloppy both times he's gone to Down Royal. It's as if he isn't running fast enough to get into a rhythm.

Back