The thoughts of Nick Mordin.

Fair comment but I think SYT will get 1m4f standing on his head. I don't really like the horse that much but at the prices, he's certainly better value than Sarafina.

If you like Sarafina, you should be backing Hirano D'Amour EW as Mordin alludes to. The horse wasn't fit in Paris and will improve for the run and got no luck in-running. If you like So You Think, you should be backing Snow Fairy EW who has taken time to come to herself but looks set for another full on Autumn campaign.

Have we established who's going to be there from here? I'll be at the bar at the end of the parade ring laying Sarafina at top of the shop all afternoon. :D

Euro: you still keeping the faith with CIRRUS? I've just looked over your Blog (very smart, by the way) and see you were supporting him. I need to use my new a/c a bit, so would you recommend me following you in similarly?

Cirrus was a staggering price for the Champion at 7s and 8s as Euro alludes to on his blog. I would say he's the right price at 4s now and best left.

I think you've missed the boat Kri!!

Fair comment but I think SYT will get 1m4f standing on his head. I don't really like the horse that much but at the prices, he's certainly better value than Sarafina.

I don't doubt he'll stay but the way he races suggests he'll be a target for a fast finisher. I'll probably cover on Workforce nearer the day.

Cirrus was a staggering price for the Champion at 7s and 8s as Euro alludes to on his blog. I would say he's the right price at 4s now and best left.

I think there is still mileage at 4s. I just don't see where the competition is coming from. Midday I respect but the others are either going elsewhere or have an aversion to the track.

Gamla - soooo no change there for me, then! :D But I might just have a little interest, even at just the 4s, to see if Euro's on the button with that one.

POSTED ON SEPTEMBER 19, 2011

DUBAI PRINCE AS GOOD AS EVER

Last year French Navy looked the best middle distance classic prospect of all the French juveniles. He didn't even start this year till mid August. But last week he put up a tremendous performance to establish himself as a serious prospect for the Champion Stakes and next year's Dubai World Cup.

One week later last year's top Irish classic prospect of 2010, DUBAI PRINCE (40), has gone and won in equally good style and looks just as good a candidate for the same two races.

Both horses are owned by Godolphin and trained by Mahmood Al Zarooni as is Casamento who won in good style on Sunday in France. It's obviously going to he hard to keep the three apart in future races.

Dubai Prince could hardly have won more impressively. He was always moving smoothly and quickened up smartly in the last quarter mile. He ran the last mile of the nine furlong race 1.3 seconds faster than they took in a fair ten furlong handicap earlier on the card and then sprinted the last quarter mile 1.8 seconds quicker. He was full of running at the finish. Clearly he could have run a whole lot faster if he'd had to.

As with French Navy, I can only rate this a solid Group 2 performance even when I adjust my rating to take account of the sectional times. But, again like French Navy, Dubai Prince earned a Group 1 class speed rating from me at two and looks very likely to be capable of doing so again.

It's dangerous to speculate on how much more a horse could have won by if it had been fully extended, or whether the circumstances they won in are optimal. What I can say is that most lightly raced horses find it too much of a shock to the system to win if they're jumped up too soon to Group 1 company - especially against older horses. At some stage of the race they'll be asked to sustain a faster pace than they've ever travelled before for much longer than their experience tells them is possible. They may prove up to the job in time, but if they're thrown in the deep end too soon they're usually in trouble.

For this reason I'll be watching Dubai Prince and French Navy with interest when they tackle Cirrus des Aigles and co in the Champion Stakes, but I won't be expecting either of them to win.

LAY TIME A SERIOUS CANDIDATE FOR GROUP 1 HONOURS NEXT YEAR

LAY TIME (40) looked to be involved in a tight three way finish for the Listed Fortune Stakes with a furlong to run at Sandown. But she kept up the searching gallop so much better than her rivals that she was able to forge nearly four lengths clear by the finish and clock a time just three fifths of a second off the course record.

Sectional times show that all the 1.5 second difference in time between Lay Time's race and the next faster on the card, which was over the same trip, came in the second half of the contest. Clearly she stayed the mile on the very stiff course very well and looks to be crying out for longer.

Lay Time is by Galileo out of a mile and a quarter winner. Her dam's best previous foal was a Group 2 winner over a mile and a half. And the dam is a sibling to two useful mile and three quarter performers.

Lay Time is a long backed filly with a fast ground action. She looks built for ten furlongs to me, though her pedigree clearly suggests she might get even longer.

This was a performance that could win most Group 1 events for fillies. So I don't think trainer Andrew Balding will have much trouble persuading the owner to keep her in training next year. He's probably right to say she's done enough for this year as it would be hard to find the fast ground she probably needs this late in the season.

Right now there has to be a concern that Lay Time has met trouble in running and lost all three times she's run in big fields. But I'm inclined to think that's because she's been hard to manouver over trips so short she must have been flat to the boards. Over longer distances she should be easier to steer out of trouble. She's certainly a terrific prospect for next season.

AL KAZEEM SHOULD GO FOR SINGAPORE GOLD CUP

All fourteen winners of the Arc Trial before this year had earned a Racing Post rating bigger than 110 on one of their last three starts. Thanks to the unnecessarily large weight for age concession they get the three year olds that have shown this level of form have done very well. You can see this from their record in the race listed in order of the biggest Racing Post rating they’ve earned in their last three starts:

1997 Scorned 111 WON 7-1

1999 Fantastic Light 123 WON 9-4

2000 Pawn Broker 116 WON 6-4

Port Vila 113 fifth

2001 Grandera 121 WON 5-6

Chancellor 113 fifth

2002 Legal Approach 114 WON 4-1

Frankies Dream 113 second

2004 Day Flight 116 fourth

Always First 112 eighth

2006 Tam Line 117 second (by ¾ length)

2007 Helene Mascot 115 fourth

Halicarnassus 113 WON 9-1

With this in mind I thought that AL KAZEEM (41), a three year old that had earned big ratings from me and the Racing Post, was the one to be on in this year's Arc Trial. He went close but a couple of factors went against him.

Firstly the ground was good to soft, edging towards soft, and Al Kazeem has a fast ground action. It was clear in the closing stages that he just wasn't picking up his feet out of the sticky ground as well as the winner Green Destiny.

Secondly Al Kazeem stayed rather too close to what was slightly too strong a pace set by the Godolphin runner Passion For Gold who was rather lit up by first time visors.

The effect of the strong pace can be seen from the fact that the Arc Trial field covered the last five furlongs 1.5 seconds slower than they did in the valuable ten furlong handicap later on the card.

What was most impressive about the performance of Al Kazeem was how he rallied when first Sea Of Heartbreak then Green Destiny challenged him through the final quarter mile. Despite the effects of the early pace he picked up so well the last quarter mile ended up being 0.3 of a second faster than in the big handicap.

This run establishes Al Kazeem as one of the best middle distance three year olds in Europe on my ratings. And the great thing is he is still a fresh horse due to the enforced three month break he had in the middle of the season. This being so he looks a very good candidate for one of the valuable international prizes coming up over the next few months.

The race I'd be shooting for with Al Kazeem is the Singapore Gold Cup. This is a handicap worth over 700,000 pounds run at Kranji in mid November over the same 11 furlong distance as Newbury's Arc Trial.

The great thing about the Singapore Gold Cup is that there aren't enough top class middle distance horses locally. This is why last year eleven of the fifteen runners had to race from out of the handicap. It also looks likely that Al Kazeem would get to race off something like his current UK official rating of 107. That would mean he'd be carrying 8-7 in a race where most of the runners would be out of the handicap and bunched together on the minimum weight of 7-12.

Last year's Singapore Gold Cup top weight was assigned the same official rating of 119 he ran off there when he came out a few months later in Dubai. And British horses get to run off their UK marks in Dubai too. So I'm thinking I'm right to say Al Kazeem would be able to run off a mark of around 107 in Singapore. And Racing Post ratings suggest that the Singapore official ratings are at least seven pounds higher than they should be to align with British ones.

In other words Al Kazeem would be seriously well in. Plus he'd almost certainly get to run on his favoured fast ground.

Best of all the Singapore Gold Cup is likely to feature a relatively slow pace and sprint finish which Al Kazeem has shown he excels in. When he won off a slow pace earlier this season at Newbury he covered the last five furlongs of his ten furlong race two fifths of a second quicker than they went in the Group 1 Lockinge Stakes over a mile on the same card. He ran the last three furlongs 2.7 seconds faster.

I've majored on Al Kazeem because the winner of the Arc Trial, GREEN DESTINY (41), doesn't seem as versatile. He looks to be a horse that needs a galloping track with a long homestraight to produce his best form. On tighter courses or those with shorter homestraights he tends not to have enough time to extricate himself from the traffic problems his ultra late running style involves him in. As jockey Kieran Fallon said "He seems to like having some room to himself."

Here Green Destiny picked up tremendously well in the final furlong after being switched for a run to catch Al Kazeem in the dying strides.

So far Green Destiny has won all six times he has run on galloping tracks with homestraights of half a mile or more. He's also earned borderline Group 1 speed ratings from me on three separate occasions this season. So I can understand why his connections nominated the Champion Stakes as his next target.

The trouble is the Champion Stakes is run at Ascot where the homestraight is only two and a half furlongs.

When Green Destiny ran at Ascot before he got into all sorts of traffic problems, couldn't get out in time and finished seventh, beaten nearly a dozen lengths in the Listed Wolferton Handicap. Maybe he won't have such trouble if the field for the Champion Stakes is small or the ground is soft enough to open up big gaps between the runners. But if he were mine the race I'd be shooting for is the Premio Roma. It's also a Group 1 but is run on a track with a half mile homestraight and invariably takes place on the soft ground Green Destiny excels on.

SEA OF HEARTBREAK (38) looked a big threat when looking up and moving ominously well about a quarter mile from the finish. Eventually Al Kazeem got the better of her but not until there'd been quite a long struggle. Then the winner flashed by them both.

Sea Of Heartbreak is a well proportioned filly that's got a bit of size and substance to her. Three runs back she ran a half lengt6h second to subsequent Group 1 winner Timepiece. Then she won a Listed race in good style before producing this lifetime best performance.

I confess I don't really have a handle on Sea Of Heartbreak right now as she'd run well but been beaten in weaker patter races than this earlier. My best guess is that, like a lot of the best horse's on the dam's side of her pedigree, she's a late developer.

On this run Sea Of Heartbreak fully deserves a crack at the E P Taylor Stakes in Canada, the race her connections suggested earlier might be a target.

Gamla - soooo no change there for me, then! :D But I might just have a little interest, even at just the 4s, to see if Euro's on the button with that one.

Remember He's got the Prix Dollar on Saturday to get through first. If you fancy him for the Champion he'd have to do well at Longchamp.

He'd be a good late winner for my TTF, I'm only about 50 points off the pace and few of the leaders seem to have him.

Last edited:
Can't see it being a problem, opposition is no better than what he's beat this year and he's had a little break. Won off a 2 week gap before.

He's reckoned to be very well and only has a little to find with one or two, so must have decent chances.

RANSOM NOTE SMART ON FAST GROUND

Trainer Charlie Hills looks to be right to say that RANSOM NOTE (40) is best on fast ground. His charge made all the running to win the Group 2 Joel Stakes in very decent time over a mile at Newmarket on a quick surface.

Ransom Note has met traffic problems a few times, so I think it's fair to excuse him his two losses in enormous fields around a turn. Toss those two runs out and he would have won eight of the other nine times he's run in races where the word 'firm' has featured in the official going description if one half length loss had been a win.

It's a logical move to shoot for the Hong Kong Mile at Sha Tin in December. The course invariably produces the fast surface Ransom Note needs and he might just be good enough to win it.

UAE GUINEAS AND OAKS THE RIGHT TARGETS FOR LYRIC OF LIGHT

Race times at Newmarket last week indicate the ground was what I call 'superfast' for the first two days of the meeting. This is the description I give when the ground is speeding up the runners as much as is physically possible. The going stick reading backs this up as it was 8.4 which is about as high as it can get at Newmarket.

I mention this because it lends weight to jockey Frankie Dettori's comments about Fillies' Mile winner LYRIC OF LIGHT (34) not liking the ground.

Approaching the final furlong it looked to be a matter of how far Lyric of Light was going to win as she was cruising on the outside, going far better than her rivals. But when Frankie pushed the button her stride went to pieces, getting choppy and disorganised. I(n addition her head came up slightly and she started to hang. She picked up well, but nothing like as well as had looked likely, and only got up to win by a head.

At this stage I have to give Lyric Of Light the benefit of the doubt and say that she might well have stretched three or four lengths clear on slower ground and clocked a Group 1 time. But I should add that most top class horses can act on fast ground. When they can't there's usually come underlying issue of soundness that will surface sooner rather than later.

Lyric Of Light looks a good proposition for the UAE 1000 Guineas and Oaks back in her owner's home country where Meydan's well cushioned Tapeta surface should suit her. But I'd hold off on taking the relatively short prices about her for the Guineas at Newmarket. I'd want to see her show she can produce top class form on the likely fast surface first, and she did not do that here.

SAHPRESA HAS IDEAL PREP FOR FAR EAST CHALLENGES

Towards the end of last year SAHPRESA (39) went close in two of the world's most valuable mile races, the Mile Championship in Japan and the Hong Kong Mile.

She looks set to go for the same two races again and had the ideal preparation when cruising away from her rivals in a sprint finish to win the Sun Chariot Stakes for the third successive time.

Thanks to the slow early pace and weak opposition this race will not have taken much out of Sahpresa. So it should set her up perfectly for her far east ventures.

MOHEDIAN LADY COULD BE GROUP 1 NEXT TERM

MOHEDIAN LADY (38) broke the twelve furlong course record at Newmarket with the help of a strong tailwind when taking the Princess Royal Stakes. I can only rate the performance Group 3 class in overall terms, Group 2 for fillies. But the way that she and the runner up pulled clear so rapidly plus the reserves she seemed to have at the finish suggest she could actually be better than that. I can readily see her improving enough to take a fillies' Group 1 next year.

Mohedian Lady is a strong sort with more substance about her than most three year old fillies. Her main asset looks to be stamina and her main fault a lack of manoeuvrability.

On her previous start at Leopardstown Mohedian Lady had to come very wide for her run in a huge field and has now lost all three times she's run in races with more than ten runners. Her sole loss in four tries in fields of ten or less came on her seasonal debut which I'm betting she needed, in common with many horses trained by Luca Cumani.

The obvious target for Mohedian Lady next season is the Yorkshire Oaks. She'd also be an interesting candidate for the Park Hill Stakes given her obvious stamina.

Runner up IMPERIAL PIPPIN (37) clearly improved for the step up to a mile and a half. It looks very likely that she didn't act on the yielding ground the only previous time she tried this distance.

I would bet on Imperial Pippin improving on this performance as she ceded about two lengths when drifting five or six horse widths across the track approaching the furlong pole. She picked up nicely when she straightened up, pulling back around three lengths on the winner, though around a length of that was due to Mohedian Lady being eased up approaching the post.

PIMPERNEL HAS A BIG SHOT IN ROCKFEL

PIMPERNEL (35) won Britain's most valuable nursery for fillies, the Jersey Lily, in Group class time at Newmarket.

She pulled so hard early she got her tongue over the bit. But the strong pace soon enabled jockey Frankie Dettori to settle her at the back and her tongue stopped lolling out.

Brought wide for her run, Pimpernel cruised up to the leaders two furlongs out and only had to be pushed out to go clear. If the clearly useful runner up NEMUSHKA (33) hadn't been in the race she would have scored by over six lengths.

No doubt due to her habit of pulling hard, Pimpernel was cut back to six furlongs on her previous start when third in Listed company. She's built and bred for ten furlongs though and has now won both times she's run beyond short sprint trips.

The Rockfel looks the next logical step for Pimpernel and there's not much around that would trouble her there according to my speed ratings - since it continues to be a weak season for juvenile fillies. Next year the Musidora would be her obvious early target. But job one has to be to teach her to settle, otherwise she could pull her chance away when the early pace isn't as strong as it was here.

Willie Haggas thanked Mordin for suggesting the German Oaks after Dancing Rain won at Ascot on Saturday.I wouldn't be a fan but credit where credit is due.

ASCOT SECTIONAL TIMES WERE GREAT - MORE PLEASE

Every week I spend a foolish amount of time fiddling around with a stopwatch and internet or TV videos of races to clock their sectional times.

This week, thanks to the organisers of the Qipco Champions Series and Turftrax, I was saved from this onerous task for the big races on Champions Day at Ascot. They provided sectional times which were far more detailed and accurate than I could ever hope to produce. (You can view them at http://www.attheraces.com/bcd/raceindex.aspx?sub=sectional&hlid=519644).

I would love to see Turftrax sectional times for every British and Irish race meeting. They make it far easier to produce accurate speed ratings. In addition, they can include precise data on just how far each horse ran. For Britain and Ireland this would be a huge leap forward because the official distances of races are inaccurate, often greatly so.

British and Irish racing officials I've spoken to in the past always cite economics as the main reason for not introducing innovations such as sectional timing.

I've never understood this stance because experience around the world shows that the more information you give to punters the more they are likely to bet. As the famous advertising writer John Caples once said "the more you tell the more you sell."

CIRRUS FINALLY GETS THAT GROUP 1

In the last 35 renewals of the Champion Stakes there have been 22 where French horses lined up. The French horses won an amazing 12 of these 22 times from a total of just 35 runners. You’d have made a huge profit betting them all blindly.

I’m not sure just why French horses have done so well in the Champion Stakes. Most likely it’s because they’re fresher at the tail end of the season than the British and Irish runners due to the slower early pace of French races making their outings less taxing.

Even so my ratings suggest that this year's Champion Stakes winner CIRRUS DES AIGLES (43) would have scored whatever time of year the race was run. He was always moving well and looked a big threat turning in along with Snow Fairy who was racing on his inside.

Ian Mongan on Twice Over tried to hold Cirrus des Aigles in but the French horse had too much pace and escaped the trap. In doing so though he was forced closer to Snow Fairy who in turn got boxed in until Cirrus Des Aigles kicked on to duel and eventually pass So You Think.

I suggested after his win in the Grand Prix de Deauville that Cirrus Des Aigles was the best middle distance horse in Europe despite not having won a Group 1. This win goes a long way towards putting that view in the mainstream.

Cirrus Des Aigles is a remarkably versatile horse. This season he's shown top class form at distances from nine and a quarter to twelve and a half furlongs. He's done so on firm ground and heavy, off a strong pace and a very slow one and around tight courses and galloping ones. He seems to be an incredibly sound horse too that can take any amount of racing.

The only quirk that Cirrus des Aigles has is that he needs a recent run to reach full fitness

He's lost all ten times he's come into a race off a break longer than 31 days but would have won fourteen of the last fifteen times he's returned within 31 days if four photos had gone his way.

Trainer Corrine Barande-Barbe feels that Cirrus des Aigles has already done a lot this year and plans on running him just once more in the Hong Kong Cup. The trouble is that's eight weeks away. Given his record I'd have thought he'd need a warm up race to have a shot there.

Cirrus des Aigles should be back next year when he'll obviously be a big threat to take any of the top races. He's a formidable opponent that is very hard to beat. I'd like to see him tackle Frankel over ten furlongs at some stage. His tenacity and ability to quicken makes him the horse I'd nominate as most likely to trouble Khalid Abdullah’s star performer.

Runner up SO YOU THINK (42) is rather like Cirrus des Aigles in that he's shown he can take a lot of racing. Where he differs is that he just lacks that vital turn of foot which is so often decisive in the very top races in Europe.

On dirt it's a different matter. Horses do most of their running early on dirt. Endurance rather than acceleration is the name of the game. For this reason I stick to my view that the Breeders' Cup Classic is an attractive option for So You Think. The US candidates for the race are universally acknowledged by American pundits to be the weakest group they've fielded in many years. If So You Think can show anywhere near this level of form on dirt he should be able to beat them. His physique, stride pattern running style and pedigree all point to him being able to handle the surface more likely than not.

I agree with the general view that third placed SNOW FAIRY (41) might well have gotten up for second but for her traffic problems. There's clearly very little between her and So You Think as they've finished with half a length of each other the last three times they've met. She remains on target for her double attempt in the QEII Commemorative Cup in Japan next month where she is set to meet Dancing Ran who won earlier on the card.

MIDDAY (40) is a wonderfully consistent mare. The ground was probably a bit too fast for her and she hung left and right in the closing stages, as she so often has in the last two seasons. But she kept on strongly to take fourth.

NATHANIEL (40) surprised me by keeping on well enough to hold fifth place and equal the rating I'd given him for his King George win. I thought the fast ground and cut back to ten furlongs were against him. If they were then he's going to be improving on this effort over longer or on softer ground if he's kept in training.

GREEN DESTINY (38) was last of the twelve runners turning in but picked up strongly to finish sixth despite meeting a bit of traffic. This run shows he doesn't have a problem with fast ground and confirms earlier impressions that he'll be suited by a step up to a mile and a half.

FRANKEL FANTASTIC

Thanks to the Turftrax sectional times I know why Frankel didn't clock a fast time when bolting up in the QEII last Saturday.

The sectional times show that the field basically ignored the pacemaker Bullet Train and went much too slow for the first three furlongs to have a chance of clocking a good time.

If I ignore Bullet Train, rate the race on the time the rest of the runners took to cover the last five furlongs and invoke my sectional timing formula I get a huge rating for FRANKEL (46) that's in line with what he's earned from me before.

The race was over as soon as Frankel surged to the front. But he did look just a little uncomfortable with the way he was asked to pack so much of his running into the last half of the race.

When he steps up to middle distances next year I think Frankel is going to need a pacemaker and will do best if ridden closer to the pace than he was here. With middle distances there's more scope for a lopsidedly slow early pace and a wild sprint finish than there is over a mile. I can see Frankel losing his unbeaten record by getting caught flat footed in these circumstances. He has a huge stride which makes him take longer than most horses to build up a full head of steam.

Indeed, brilliant as he is, I do believe Frankel's lack of push button acceleration is going to prove his undoing at some point. Couple this with the way he has a habit of being too keen for his own good when he sees too much daylight and he's obviously a very tricky ride.

That said, Frankel is the joint best flat racer of the last decade or more on my ratings, along with Falbrav.

Falbrav was a great horse who won Group 1 races in five different countries at distances ranging from a mile to a mile and a half. But, like all horses, he had his limitations. He didn't truly stay twelve furlongs and needed fast ground.

Frankel's Achilles heel is the fact he lengthens rather than quickens. This is surely going to get him beat sometime. But it doesn't stop me looking forward to his next season with great anticipation. His long stride, stout pedigree and rangy physique make him look nailed on to get at least a mile and a quarter. It's going to be fascinating to see him in action in longer races like the Eclipse and Champion Stakes.

Runner up EXCELEBRATION (42) must be getting sick of the sight of Frankel's backside. If he hadn't bumped into Cecil's freakishly good performer and had a clear run in the St James's Palace Stakes he'd probably have won his last eight starts.

Excelebration picked up nicely here and has shown before that he does that well off a slow early pace. He remains a very strong contender for the Breeders' Cup Mile as he showed in Germany just how well he copes with a tight course and sprint finish - those being the circumstances he'll be facing at Churchill Downs. That said. I can see how his connections might want to opt for the Hong Kong Mile instead as this means they'll be able to sidestep another all time great in Goldikova.

DANCING RAIN HAS A REAL SHOT OF BEATING SNOW FAIRY IN JAPAN

Back in 2009 Queen Spumante seemed to be given too much rope by her rivals when making all the running, most of it in a huge lead, to take the QEII Commemorative Cup, the world's riches race for fillies, in Japan.

DANCING RAIN (41) will almost certainly attempt to emulate her when she ships over to Japan for the race next month. She showed once more when taking the Qipco British Champion Fillies' and Mares' Stakes that she's awfully tough to pass when making the running.

The rating Dancing Rain earned from me here is the same I normally give the best 3YO middle distance fillies each season. Only Galikova has equalled it this term and Sarafina last season.

We probably won't find out how good she is till she tackles males next season in the top races. Meanwhile she looks just as strong a contender for the Japanese race as Snow Fairy but will likely start at bigger odds.

Runner up BIBLE BELT (40) has always looked likely to be suited by a step up to a mile and a half. She stayed on strongly and came out of the pack to chase the winner home, earning a rating from me that would win most Group 1's for fillies, not for the first time either.

It's actually good for racing that Bible Belt hasn't yet won a Group 1 as this provides a big incentive to keep her in training next year when the Prix Vermeille and Yorkshire Oaks look viable targets for her.

PACE UNLIKELY TO SUIT STRONG SUIT IN BC MILE

STRONG SUIT (42) was awfully impressive when winning the Challenge Stakes at Newmarket. He sprinted away from his rivals with ease off a strong early pace to clock a proper Group 1 time.

On the face of it Strong Suit looks a strong contender for the Breeders' Cup Mile because he's better over seven furlongs than a mile in Europe.

American punters favour have learned it's best to favour European runners that have shown smart form over seven furlongs when it comes to their top mile event. This is because the US race invariably features a slow early pace and is run around a very tight course. (This year's course is just seven furlongs in circumference.) Horses that genuinely need a mile to produce their best in Britain and Ireland rarely do well.

The problem is that although Strong Suit looks to be a seven furlong specialist it does appear he needs a strong pace to produce top form. When he encountered a moderate early gallop against Zoffany in Ireland, Frankel in Britain and Mutual Trust in France he got beat. His only loss in six other starts (in all of which the pace was strong) came when he ran second in the Middle Park on unsuitably soft ground.

The race I'd have targeted with Strong Suit would be the Hong Kong Mile. The ground for that race is almost always firm, the pace is normally strong and the track is tight enough (ten furlongs) to give him a fair shot of lasting the distance.

POWER STILL THE MOST LOGICAL 2000 GUINEAS CHOICE

POWER (37) is the joint best 2YO on my ratings this season, along with Dragon Pulse and the now exported Roman Soldier. And I saw nothing in his narrow Dewhurst Stakes loss to make me question that stance.

The early pace wasn't great in the Dewhurst. This allowed the runners to save so much energy they were able to accelerate and sprint the final three furlongs in the same time as the top class older horse Strong Suit earlier on the card.

It's tough to gain ground into an accelerating pace. And this is what Power was forced to do due to the field compressing towards the stands rail after three furlongs. This caught him in a pocket behind horses that he wasn't able to escape till being switched out with a furlong left.

Like many of Coolmore's best horses, Power lengthens rather than quickens. But he was still able to surge from fifth place to second in the final furlong. My ratings suggest he should have won by a bit more than a length if he'd been able to show his best, and that's the way the race looked to me.

There is always the question of whether a top class two year old will train on. However Power still ranks as the best Guineas prospect for me, so I was surprised to see some bookies push him out to 14-1 for the Newmarket race.

I didn't like the way the winner PARISH HALL (38) was so readily being cut down by Power in the closing stages. But I think trainer Jim Bolger is right to say he's more of a Derby than a Guineas horse, so this is excusable.

Bolger also looks to be right to say Parish Hall is best on fast ground. In fact he's now won both times the words yielding or soft have not appeared in the official going description.

For a Derby prospect to clock a solid Group 1 time for a two year old over just seven furlongs is quite something. So I take Parish Hall's Derby prospects very seriously.

WADING A SERIOUS OAKS PROSPECT

WADING (38) clocked a seriously fat time when winning the Rockfel Stakes. And the interesting thing about the time is that not only was it fast but the early pace was not.

To achieve her final time she had to match the colts in the Dewhurst and cover the last three furlongs in exactly the same time as Strong Suit who put up one of the best performances of the season when winning the Challenge Stakes earlier on the card.

As I see it there's no question that this was the best performance by a juvenile filly beyond six furlongs we have seen this season. Well okay joint best on my ratings - along with Elusive Kate's win in the Boussac.

Wading is built for middle distances. Her pedigree points the same way too. She was moving smoothly throughout and won well. But during the last three furlongs when they were sprinting it seemed to me she was running very close to her top speed and would likely have been flat to the boards if they'd gone any quicker.

Seeing that Wading's sire Montjeu has a rotten record with his horses over less than ten and a half furlongs beyond their juvenile days I have to say she looks more of an Oaks filly than a Guineas candidate.

Wading's trainer Aidan O'Brien is a planner and always seems to do the most logical thing with his horses. So I would bet that while Wading might run in the 1000 Guineas her big target will be the Oaks.

It's worth noting that O'Brien has had only one winner from 22 attempts in the 1000 Guineas but three from 35 in the Oaks. His 1000 Guineas runners have placed just four times while his Oaks runners have done so on 11 occasions.

Seeing that he has an obvious Guineas candidate in Maybe I suspect that Wading will not even be lining up at Newmarket. Like the last seven O'Brien horses to place in the Oaks she will go to the race via an Oaks trial or the Irish 1000 Guineas.

I can see how you could argue that fillies which show good form over seven furlongs in pattern company are unlikely to be viable Oaks candidates. However five of the last eleven Oaks winners and six of the last fourteen reached the first four in pattern company over seven furlongs beforehand. And that includes every one of the three Oaks winners trained by O'Brien.

On balance I would say that the 12-1 you can get about Wading winning the Oaks is rather too large and that the 8-1 you can get for her winning the 1000 Guineas is too small.

BUBBLE CHIC HAS A REAL SHOT IN PREMIO ROMA

I wasn't a huge fan of BUBBLE CHIC (40) before he won the Darley Stakes at Newmarket. The main reason for my lack of enthusiasm is that he'd only won a provincial maiden in France and run second in seven of his other ten starts. He's always been a sitting duck for a horse with a better turn of foot.

However jockey Olivier Peslier found a great way to counteract Bubble Chic's lack of acceleration by setting an ordinary pace in the Darley Stakes and winding it up gradually. He was able to kick on with a quarter mile to run and his rivals were never going to catch him from there.

I have to rate the race on the time Bubble Chic took to cover the last five furlongs as the first three furlongs was rather slow. But the rating I end up with looks right, so I'm happy to go with it.

On this run Bubble Chic has a real shot of taking the Premio Roma next time out. The Italian race is a Group 1 but it's invariably much weaker than Italy's other Group 1's for older horses and can often be won by a horse with the kind of rating Bubble Chic earned from me here.

Amazingly, although he's trained in Italy and the Premio Roma will be his thirteenth start, it will be the first time he's actually run in his home country. That has to be some sort of record.

Runner up DUX SCHOLAR (39) was made favourite. This is understandable. He'd moved just as well as Workforce when finishing upsides his stablemate in a recent strong racecourse gallop at Sandown. In addition he'd twice earned borderline Group 1 speed ratings from me.

The trouble here was that the race was only nine furlongs and this had previously seemed a bit too short for Dux Scholar. Indeed I stick to my previously stated view that he will be effective over a mile and a half next year.

The race was hardly run to suit a horse that wants a longer distance, so Dux Scholar did well to surge into second place and keep on strongly in the closing stages.

Trainer Sir Michael Stoute excels at developing late bloomers like Dux Scholar into Group 1 performers at four and five. So I imagine that will be it for him this year. My bet is we will see him make his next start in the Brigadier Gerard in May and that he will be tackling top races thereafter.

CUE CARD GETS OFF TO A GOOD START

The novice chase at Chepstow last Saturday was a terrific contest as three of the four runners were promising pattern class performers.

The race was slow run most of the way. The gallop picked up a bit just before halfway and once more with seven furlongs to run and finally from half a mile out where the field were basically sprinting.

When I adjust for the sectional times it suggests the winner CUE CARD (38) merits a solid Grade 3 class rating.

Cue Card was rather sketchy over the jumps in the early stages. But he got better when the pace picked up and used his superior speed up the straight to win clearly and with a little in hand.

Although he clearly has plenty of pace, Cue Card looks a bit too tall be a natural two miler to me. So I'm not surprised trainer Colin Tizzard warned punters after the race not to bet his charge ante-post for the Arkle.

The other concern in regards to Cheltenham is just how well Cue Card will hold his form. He's still a narrow sort that has shown in the past he doesn't take much racing.

I suspect Cue Card will prove best over two and a half miles and see his best chance of another Grade 1 win this term lying in the Scilly Isles Novices Chase at Sandown in February.

Runner up MICHEAL FLIPS (37) looks more of a three miler. He jumped with more proficiency than his less experienced rivals and moved well. He couldn't go with the winner but used his stamina to rally back past Silviniaco Conti when that one stumbled and lost momentum shortly after landing over the last. My thinking is that this is as good as he is and that he's not going to be winning anything better than a Grade 3. He split two superior horses mostly because he had more experience than them.

SILVINIACO CONTI (36) is a deep chested sort that showed smart form to win two Grade 2 events over two and a half miles last season before being unaccountably cut back to an inadequate two miles on his final two starts.

Over hurdles Silviniaco Conti showed that he had trouble coping with sprint finishes and that was the case once more here. After moving up into second place before the last he got stretched into stumbling shortly after landing and got caught by Micheal Flips.

Silviniaco Conti is a classy looking sort that's built for chasing. His three and four year old siblings have already won over fences in France. I reckon he'd be effective over two and a half miles if the early pace was strong or the ground was softer than it was here. But most likely three miles will be his best trip. He looks an obvious candidate for the Feltham.

POSTED ON NOVEMBER 13, 2011

GREAT ENDEAVOUR WOULD HAVE A SHOT IN RYANAIR ON FAST GROUND

The runaway success of GREAT ENDEAVOUR (41) in last week's Paddy Power Gold Cup at Cheltenham highlights the urgent need for more accurate official going reports in Britain.

According to official going reports Great Endeavour has won on soft and even heavy ground. But if you judge the state of the ground by Raceform's going allowances, which are based on race times, a very different picture emerges. They show that he's won six of the seven times he's raced on what race times indicate was good or faster ground over trips short of three miles, with his sole loss being a one length second to the smart Poquelin after meeting trouble in running. He's run well below his best and lost every time he's run on ground Raceform rated slower than good.

If punters had known this, along with the fact that the ground was good last Saturday (it was officially good to soft - good in places) I doubt that Great Endeavour would have started at anything close to the 8-1 he ended up at.

British Clerks of the course clearly aren't very good at assessing the state of the ground. They don't even seem to know how to use the equipment they're provided with if Great Endeavour's record is anything to go by.

I say this because when Great Endeavour won at Towcester on November 29th 2009 the going stick reading was 7.8 according to every source I've been able to find - including the BHA's official web site. The going stick reading was also 7.8 on October 6th 2010. But on the first occasion the clerk reported the ground as being 'Heavy (soft in places)' and the second time he said it was 'Good'. A few weeks later on December 16th 2010 the going stick read 8.0, indicating faster ground, but the clerk reported it as being 'Good to soft (soft in places)'.

At the very least the BHA should monitor going stick readings as they come in and suggest a revised opinion when a clerk of the course submits going reports that conflicts as sharply with them as these. Better still clerks should be required to monitor race times, compare them with the standard times listed in Raceform's official form book and adjust their going reports as soon as a race time is faster than their estimate of the ground suggests it should be. This is hardly rocket science. The required calculations could be done in seconds with a pocket calculator.

I cannot fathom why blindingly obvious and cost-free improvements in going reporting like these haven't been implemented. If they were punters would surely be much happier to trust horse racing as a wagering medium and betting turnover would increase (which surely has to be the BHA's main goal given the sport's current financial position?)

While we're on the subject it would also be more than a little helpful (and also cost nothing) for the BHA to make British clerks of the course tell us the true distances of races and inform us which course is being used. At present we're left to guess when hurdle races are switched to the flat course or when the inner or outer course is used at many racecourses. The impact of such changes on race times can be enormous.

Having got that off my chest let me return to Great Endeavour who now has to rank as one of the top two and a half mile chasers - especially when you consider that he’d have won by two or three more lengths and run a faster time but for blundering at the last.

The logical thing to do with Great Endeavour now is to follow his schedule of last season when he was laid off from early December to March to ensure he gets his ground. If this is done he'll be one of the leading candidates for the Ryanair and the Melling Chase at Britain's two big Spring meetings.

I think it was misleading for most bookies to mark Great Endeavour up as favourite for the Hennessy following this run. You only have to look at the horse's record to agree with trainer David Pipe's assessment that the 3m 2f of that race 'might be a bit far'.

TANKS FOR THAT IS SMART WHEN FRESH

Many high class two mile chasers are best when they're fresh, but TANKS FOR THAT (40) is a more clear cut example than most. He has won three of the four times he's run less than two and a half miles off a break of 68 days or more and run second to the smart Woolcombe Folly in his sole loss. He's blanked in his other thirteen starts.

Last week Tanks For That made his seasonal debut in a valuable two mile handicap chase at Cheltenham's Open meeting sponsored by Paddy Power. He set a searching pace that looked close to being unsustainably fast. However he only tired up the finishing hill and by then he'd run all his rivals into the ground and they tired just as badly.

Tanks For That isn't that far off the top two mile chasers, so I don't think it will be a disaster if he's forced into conditions races from now on due to the likely big jump in his official rating. My bet is that the spacing of his races will continue to be a more important factor than the quality of his opposition.

Third placed I'MSINGINGTHEBLUES (36) travelled like a winner for a long way as he so often has in the past. But once more he failed to get home, tiring badly up the run in.

I know he's placed at distances up to three miles, but my strong impression from watching this run is that I'msingingtheblues is a short runner. My read of his form is that he's best on dead flat tracks over less than 2m 1f in races below pattern class where horses of his own class can't press him to go too fast early to last home. He would have won six times out of eight in these conditions if that photo in the valuable two mile handicap chase at Ayr's Scottish National meeting had gone his way earlier this year.

TWO AND A HALF MILES THE IDEAL TRIP FOR GRANDS CRUS

GRANDS CRUS (39) clocked a fast time to win a good novice chase at Cheltenham's Open meeting on his first try over fences. Held up, he moved up to challenge five out, took the lead at the next and really poured it on from three out, looking as though he was going to win by a big margin. But he started to flag approaching the last as the effort told which allowed the second and third to close the gap on him

Two miles is clearly a bit short for Grands Crus. However I've noted in the past that his stamina has looked a bit suspect over three miles. So I wasn't surprised to see him tire to run unplaced when tackling nearly three and a quarter miles in the Grande Course de Haies at Auteuil. His distance range seems to be between two and a half and three miles. Indeed, if he hadn't twice run into Big Bucks he'd be unbeaten in seven tries over such distances.

Seeing how he tired late, I think the two and a half miles Grands Crus ran here is going to prove his optimum distance. However it's unwise to be dogmatic about first season chasers in regards to distance because many novice chases are slow run.

Runner up CHAMPION COURT (35) is a strong, rangy chasing sort that's built for three miles plus. He got outpaced when the winner stepped on the gas three out but stayed on again up hill. It's clear from this run that Champion Court needs to go up to three miles, something his trainer plans to try with him at Cheltenham’s upcoming Paddy Power meeting if the ground is soft enough for him.

Champion Court was good enough to win a Grade 2 and run fourth in a Grade 1 at the Cheltenham Festival over hurdles. When he gets the chance to go three miles over fences he could well do even better.

Third placed ZAYNAR (34) also stayed on after getting outpaced by the winner three out. The concern with him is that he's not built or bred for chasing. So I'd like to see him show that he can produce something like his hurdles form over the bigger jumps before betting he'll improve markedly on this effort.

STEPS TO FREEDOM AND PROSPECT WELLS FESTIVAL CLASS

You rarely see a horse with flat form as smart as PROSPECT WELLS (40) run over hurdles. When you do it's unusual for them to be a big, tall, strong, long striding sort that lengthens rather than quickens. In other words, just the type to improve over hurdles.

But for racing in France, where the frequent sprint finishes didn't suit him, Prospect Wells might well have won a Group 1 and now be standing as a stallion instead of being gelded and sent hurdling.

Prospect Wells finished strongest of all the losers in both the Prix du Jockey Club and the Grand Prix de Paris - actually running second in the latter race thanks to a strong early pace. If he'd run in that year's rather weak renewal of the Irish Derby instead I'd be pretty sure he'd have won.

At Cheltenham Prospect Wells' chances were compromised by a slow early pace that picked up at halfway and then developed into a sprint finish from three out. This caused him to guess and lose ground by not being fluent two out. But everything looked to be in hand as he picked up well to challenge at the last and then begin to forge nearly a length ahead on the run in, looking a certain winner. Unfortunately the fast ground, short distance and slow early pace conspired against him, leaving him impotent to withstand the superior acceleration of the winner Steps To Freedom.

My feeling from watching this races is that although STEPS TO FREEDOM (40) is clearly a smart novice Prospect Wells will prove superior over longer trips, on softer ground or off a stronger pace.

I could easily be wrong as Steps To Freedom looks a seriously good prospect for the Supreme Novices and travelled just as well if not better than Prospect Wells throughout. He jumped well too and displayed a good turn of foot to rally and pull the race out of the fire close home.

Like Prospect Wells, Steps To Freedom has the physique for jumping. Indeed he would probably have won six of his seven starts under NH rules but for falling in one race. He was also good enough to run a close fourth in Listed company on the flat.

Seeing that he's already run nine times this year, the suggestion by trainer Jessica Harrington that Steps To Freedom might not run again before the Supreme Novices looks a good one. He's already learned how to jump hurdles better than most novices, has now scored three Graded wins and is ante-post favourite for the big race.

Third placed ERICHT (39) couldn't go with the first two on the run in but produced a tremendous display to run third in such a hot race on his hurdling debut. He got outpaced when sixth as favourite for the Champion Bumper at Cheltenham on fast ground, just as he did here on the run in. And his wins have been on yielding and soft, so it may well be needs cut in the ground to counteract his lack of acceleration. Either that or perhaps a step up to two and a half miles - or simply a more strongly run race.

Incidentally, from a timing point of view, this was an interesting race. The official time was 6.5 seconds slower than it was for the Greatwood Hurdle on similar ground at the same meeting two days later. But that was partly because the runners in the Greatwood Hurdle started much closer to the first hurdle. From the first hurdle the time difference between the two races was only 3.9 seconds, which is pretty remarkable seeing that the novices went a slow pace till reaching the third flight. From that jump the novices came home 1.5 seconds faster than the Greatwood runners.

BRAMPOUR HAS A REAL SHOT IN BULA

BRAMPOUR (40) won the Greatwood Hurdle in fast time and finished full of running. He's clearly been improved by a breathing operation and looked as though he might run away with the race when taking the lead at the last but the much more lightly weighted second and third managed to stay within a few lengths of him.

My impression was that Brampour had plenty left at the finish and could have run faster. This being so I'm getting rather interested in his chances of taking his next target, the Bula Hurdle.

FINGAL BAY STARTS TO LOOK VULNERABLE

With four to jump NEPTUNE BAY (37) looked set to win the Grade 2 Neptune Investment Novice Hurdle at Cheltenham easily. He was going so much better than his rivals that jockey Richard Johnson only had to give him a bit of rein to surge through the field and take the lead.

Things kept on in similar vein till two out which he flattened, losing momentum. From there he had to be kept up to his work to win by just shy of four lengths in what the clock says was just a bog standard performance for the class.

Neptune Bay is still unbeaten and continues to look a good prospect. But he's now earned the same speed rating from me on both his starts, so I'm wondering if he's actually going to prove competitive in Grade 1 company. I'll hold off judgement on that for now. However from a betting standpoint I'd say the smart play will be to oppose him when he tackles better opposition.

CARRUTHERS CAN RETURN TO FORM IN A SMALL FIELD.

GALAXY ROCK (39) was always going well and kept on travelling strongly to take the long distance Grade 3 Chase at Cheltenham's Open meeting. He's now won both marathon chases that he's contested.

The main concern with Galaxy Rock is his lack of size. Trainer Jonjo O'Neill noted after the race that "he’s only a little fella." And, like many smaller horses, he doesn't seem to do very well in big fields. He won a couple of low grade races in big fields over timber in which only a handful of horses were anywhere near the lead from halfway. His best form though has been in fields smaller than twelve. He's won six of his seven completed starts in fields smaller than twelve and run second in his sole loss.

Another worry with chasers below average height is how well they can cope with stiff fences. Those at Cheltenham seem to be about as stiff as he can handle because he ballooned a few early according to his rider Tony McCoy (something horses often do when they're spooked by a fence). In addition when he was pressed to go top speed when duelling with Carruthers from three out he was jumping rather too big and landing a bit too steeply.

I can see why the bookies introduced Galaxy Rock into their Grand National betting on the basis of this run despite the warning from Jonjo O'Neill that he probably wouldn't be suited to the race. Personally I'd be surprised to see him line up at Aintree and would expect him to fall or unseat if he did.

From a betting perspective third placed CARRUTHERS (35) is rather more interesting. He set slightly too strong a pace but still rallied, as he so often does, when the winner came alongside three out. He duelled with Galaxy Rock and only gave best between the last two.

I got the impression that if Galaxy Rock hadn't been in the race Carruthers might just have been able save enough energy to hold off eventual runner up Ballyfitz when he stayed on late up the hill when he came late.

Carruthers has always been best dominating small fields from the front. He won a minor novice hurdle against fifteen rivals. But he has lost his other eleven starts in fields of ten or more. In single figure fields he's won six out of nine and run second to Grade 1 winners in his three losses. His current handicap mark of 146 understates his ability by a large amount, so if he could somehow be found a handicap with a small field he'd be a near certainty. Failing that he'd be dangerous against even the best three mile chasers in a conditions chase if the field were small enough

JOIN TOGETHER NOT AN RSA CANDIDATE

JOIN TOGETHER (36) won a decent three mile novice chase at Cheltenham last week. However he got stretched as the leader sustained the strong gallop down the far side and lost ground on the four in front as they approached the top of the hill. He began to move a lot better and closed up as they started rolling down the hill and looked set to win clearly as he closed in on the leader and kicked clear of the rest approaching the second last. He got into the lead by the last but lacked the pace to get away from his pursuers and ended up prevailing in a four way scramble for the win.

It looked clear that if some top class competition had been on hand Join Together would most likely have become detached from the leaders approaching the top of the hill and too far back thereafter for his rally to have much impact. Add this to the fact he only clocked a Listed class time and I think trainer Paul Nicholls was right to say he's a better candidate for the four miler at the Cheltenham Festival than the RSA Chase.

RESTLESS HARRY (35) was understandably a short priced favourite following his spectacular success in a Grade 2 hurdle at Wetherby on his seasonal debut. He was always close up and going pretty well until getting outpaced three out. He rallied strongly approaching the last but on the run in I saw him do something that immediately had me scrambling to look up his record in big fields. There was a gap between the two leaders and he was clearly shy of taking it. He had to be eased out slightly to keep up his run.

Sure enough Restless Harry's record does show a preference for small fields. Before this loss he'd won four times out of six in single figure fields and run his two best races when third in his two losses.

After his Wetherby run I suggested that Restless Harry might be able to handle bigger fields over fences. Seeing how he fought shy of taking an opening here I must withdraw that suggestion. Indeed Restless Harry now needs to show that he can produce his best form over fences even in small fields.

There are a couple of explanations for Restless Harry's sub par run that are worth looking at. The first is the one suggested by his trainer that he was returned to the races too quickly following his huge performance at Wetherby.

There's plenty going for this idea because Restless Harry's four wins have all followed a break of longer than 31 days since his last completed start. He's lost all six times he's returned more quickly.

The track is another possible explanation.

I know Restless Harry has won three times on undulating tracks, including in a Grade 2 at Cheltenham. But having watched his win at Wetherby and this race my feeling is that Restless Harry is not so happy going up hill and down dale as he is on a flatter course where he's not constantly having to speed up or slow down.

The trainer's theory about Restless Harry needing a longer break looks more likely, with a dislike of fences running a close second. So I like the idea of running Restless Harry in the Long Walk Hurdle at Ascot next month. The timing of the race is right, the switch back to hurdles is probably a plus and the track isn't steeply undulating like Cheltenham. If I'm right Restless Harry should bounce back to his best at Ascot and be very hard to beat.

GAUVAIN TOUGH TO BEAT IN SMALL FIELDS

With main rival Woolcombe Folly unable to cope with the pace on the fast ground GAUVAIN (38) had a fairly simple task to win the Shloer Chase at Cheltenham's Open meeting for a second time. He jumped fast and well and is clearly a tough horse to beat in small fields (he lacks the size to cope well with big ones).

If he hadn't fallen when clear in one race Gauvain would now have won all seven times he's gone two and a quarter miles or less in fields of seven or less. His only other run in a field that small came over 2m 5.5f when he was second in the Ascot Chase to the top class Riverside Theatre. It looked like he stayed the trip that day so he's clearly versatile.

Gauvain hasn't ever run better than a Grade 3 class time by my reckoning. But I bumped his rating up to 41 for his performance against Riverside Theatre on the grounds he could have run about a second quicker but for being eased. In this race I feel he could have earned that sort of rating as well if he'd had some company from three out as he took two full seconds to get home from there than Al Ferof did in the earlier novice chase.

Given his size I'd be a bit wary of supporting Gauvain over the stiffer jumps to be found at Aintree or in Ireland. But anywhere else he faces a field of seven or less he should continue to be tough to beat.

Runner up WOOLCOMBE FOLLY (30) once more had trouble coping with the pace of a two mile chase on fast ground. He was niggled along to try and keep tabs on the leaders from soon after the start and lost ground when stretched into jumping slow to keep himself safe at the eighth fence. He tried to get to the winner and moved into second place with four to jump but Gauvain sped away from him soon after and he just couldn't go with him.

Last year Woolcombe Folly showed smart form over two miles and maybe he could do so again on soft or heavy ground. But this year he's been outpaced on all four of his starts. I can't see him recovering his form until he goes up to two and a half miles. In fact I can readily see him staying three miles.

The alternative explanation for Woolcombe Folly's loss of form is that he's picked up some sort of physical problem. However the way he's been keeping on in his races after visibly getting outpaced tells me that the obvious answer that he now needs longer is the right one.

AL FEROF WANTS LONGER

AL FEROF (38) jumped well to score in good style on his chasing debut, coming from off a strong pace to win nicely. But he's a strong sort that's clearly build and bred for two and a half miles plus. His dam won over two miles on the flat and his sire's other top fifteen offspring judged by Racing Post ratings were all best over at least two and a half miles.

It could be that, thanks to the searching early pace the race often features, Al Ferof will be able to win the Arkle like a lot of horses that have subsequently proved better over longer than two miles. But outside of that race my feeling is he's going to need longer distances to show his best over fences.

GRANDOUET A BIG TALENT IN SMALL FIELDS

GRANDOUET (41) had been going much better than front running CELESTIAL HALO (40) for nearly half a mile as they approached the second last in the Elite Hurdle at Wincanton. Unfortunately just as he closed in to deliver the coup de grace at that hurdle he made a silly, novicey error. He took his cue to launch over the jump from the leader who was nearly a length ahead. As a result he landed on top of the hurdle and slithered to the ground.

I know that Celestial Halo just keeps on running and is hard to beat when he's been able to dominate a small field. But I'd be very surprised if Grandouet wouldn't have gone by him and won by at least a couple of lengths. That's how I’m rating him.

Grandouet is clearly just as adept as the winner in small fields. But for this blooper and getting brought down when going well in a Grade 1 at Aintree he would probably have won all six times he's run in single figure fields. He's yet to win in a race with ten or more runners in five tries.

Given his record it looks unlikely that Grandouet will be able to cope with the big field that always lines up for the Champion Hurdle. But I'd be wary of opposing him in any other race where there's a small field seeing how well he travelled here.

WEIRD AL AND TIME FOR RUPERT ARE GOLD CUP CLASS

The folly of timing jump races from the start is shown by a comparison of the times for the Charlie Hall Chase and the novice event run over the same distance at Wetherby last Saturday. The official time for the novices was just 3.5 seconds slower than the Charlie Hall. But from the first fence the novices ran 8.1 seconds slower.

The varying distance of the runners from the starting point in jumps races creates this sort of anomaly all the time. Ideally I'd like to see starting stalls used in jump races to ensure races all start from the same point. But I can't see this idea flying so I have to go for the next best thing which is timing them from the first jump.

WEIRD AL (43) was always moving really well, held up just off the pace. In fact he raced rather keenly for a long way. He challenged then went by the front running Time For Rupert and the pair of them powered well clear of their pursuers as the runner up tried to get back up.

This was a proper Gold Cup class performance by Weird Al. Clearly he's going to be competitive in the very best three mile chases. The caveat is that he's not that robust for a chaser and almost certainly needs breaks between his runs as he requires longer to recover from them. He underwent surgery to correct partial paralysis of his larynx after running a clunker in last year's Hennessy and bled when pulling up in the Gold Cup in his comeback outing.

If new trainer Donald McCain can keep him sound and fresh by spacing out his races Weird Al's going to be tough to beat.

I'd be wary of betting Weird Al ante-post for the Gold Cup because (a) it's towards the end of the season when he might not be fresh enough and (b) it's run on a very testing course, invariably at a searching gallop, so it might be too much for him.

The race I'd like to see Weird Al shoot for is the King George. He obviously has the alternative of the Hennessy where he'd be very well in at the weights. Most likely he'd be fresh enough for that race as the general rule with horses that are best fresh is that they run well on their first two starts of the season then need at least five weeks between their runs. The trouble is he wouldn't be fresh for the King George if he ran in the Hennessy.

Although he too bled at the Cheltenham Festival I think that the runner up TIME FOR RUPERT (42) is more of a Gold Cup prospect than the winner. He led at a strong pace all the way except for a few fences in the middle of the race where jockey Will Kennedy was probably trying to get a breather into him and allowed Nacarat alongside.

Time For Rupert kicked on again towards the end of the backstretch and soon had everything bar Weird Al under pressure. He jumped like a stag throughout and came back gamely at Weird Al when headed with two to jump, only losing by 3.5 lengths while drawing miles clear of the rest in his efforts to get back at the winner.

Time For Rupert is a big-bodied horse, so I'm sure trainer Paul Webber is right to say he'll improve for this run. In fact, I'd be inclined to bet on him turning this form around with the winner if the pair both run in the Hennessy. I'd also see Time For Rupert as a better prospect for the Gold Cup.

HUGE RUN BY RESTLESS HARRY

RESTLESS HARRY (43) ran sensationally fast to take the Grade 2 John Smith's Hurdle over 3m 1f at Wetherby last Saturday. He sat second behind the strong pace set by FAIR ALONG (37), rolled on by four out and just kept on galloping all the way to the line while extending his lead from there.

Restless Harry covered the last two miles just 3.5 seconds slower than they did in the strongly run Listed hurdle over 2m 110 yards. When I adjust for the longer distance of his race that makes him 1.6 seconds a mile better than the winner of that race which is huge. Lines of form point the same way.

At first, seeing the tremendous ability he displayed here, I thought Restless Harry's connections were crazy to say they planned on sticking to their plan of sending him chasing. A reproduction of this run would give him a shot of winning any Grade 1 staying hurdle.

However, it does seem clear that Restless Harry has a problem handling big fields over hurdles. He gets crowded into errors or hampered rather easily. His wins have all come in single figure fields.

In fact Restless Harry's record in single figure fields is tremendous. He lost the first time he ran in a small field but since then he's won four of the five times he's faced less than ten runners over distances longer than 2m 4f. His sole loss came when he was a strong finishing 6.25 lengths third to the champion staying hurdler Big Buck's (he would have been second in a few more strides).

Over fences field sizes are smaller, the lengths between runners tend to be greater and there are more fallers which thins the fields out further. This would give Restless Harry more room to manouver. He'd probably be able to run his race pretty much every time. Over hurdles he's blanked all seven times he's run in fields bigger than nine. Over fences he might well be able to handle more runners.

I'm not sure the idea of Restless Harry going for the Arkle mooted (admittedly as speculation by his trainer) is a good one. He 's a rangy, deep chested, long striding sort that clearly has almost bottomless stamina. Though I should add that in novice company distance doesn't tend to be such a strong factor over fences. Plenty of horses that have subsequently proved best over three miles have won or gone close in the Arkle.

Restless Harry has already won over fences when taking his sole point to point start. He showed in this race that he can stand off and jump big and bold at speed. I wouldn't be wanting to oppose him when he goes novice chasing and see him as a very exciting prospect for the bigger jumps......continued

..............continued

SOMERSBY HAS A SHOT IN KING GEORGE

I've suggested in the past that although he so stays on strongly so often SOMERSBY (40) is best over two miles.

After watching him win a strongly run Graduation Chase comfortably over 2m 4.5f in fast time at Kempton I have to change my mind. He lobbed along in second behind the front runner Aiteen Thritythree and cruised away to score comfortably when asked to and win his race. He passed the post full of running, convincing me that he should have little trouble going another 3.5 furlongs in the King George.

Somersby is a nervous sort that got a bit worked up before this race as he often does. This probably explains why he seems best when fresh, as he was here. I'm now interested in his chances for the King George.

It seems to me that Somersby does not like Aintree for some reason, probably the tight turns. He's also yet to show his best on undulating courses. However he'd have won his last four starts elsewhere if that short head photo against Master Minded had gone his way in the Victor Chandler in January.

Runner up AITEEN THIRTY THREE (39) travelled strongly and set a good pace while jumping well. The winner moved in on him from six out but he cornered the home turn so well that he was able to stretch his lead back to two lengths turning in. He couldn't keep up the gallop from two out but kept on well and actually attempted a rally from the last.

After Aiteen Thirty Three won a novice chase early last season trainer Paul Nicholls said "I'm not sure the hustle and bustle of the RSA Chase would suit him." This proved prophetic as he had to be pulled up in the big race at Cheltenham.

Before this run Aiteen Thirty Three had lost all four times he'd been headed early on in his races and won all four times he'd enjoyed a largely uncontested lead. It does look like he's always going to be best in fields small enough that he can dominate from the front, so I don't like his chances in the Hennessy.

CAMELOT HAS THE PACE FOR GUINEAS AS WELL AS DERBY

If you restrict a one mile race to mile and a half horses one of them is going to win. But this doesn't mean the winner is fully effective over a mile.

That's the situation we get most of the time in the Racing Post Trophy and many other big two year old races over a mile.

For this reason I am always wary of concluding that any Racing Post Trophy winner is going to prove a viable candidate for the 2000 Guineas.

The stats seem to back me up. Over the last thirty years nine Racing Post Trophy winners have gone on to run in the 2000 Guineas. None of them won and only one (Celtic Swing) reached the first four.

However if you dig back further you'll find a fascinating four year sequence starting with the 1972 Racing Post Trophy winner High Top.

High Top went on to win the 2000 Guineas. Next year's Racing Post Trophy winner, Noble Decree, ran second in the 2000 Guineas. The 1974 winner, Apalachee, ran third in the 2000 Guineas. And the 1975 winner, Green Dancer, took the French 2000 Guineas.

I give this preamble because although this year's Racing Post Trophy winner CAMELOT (39) is built and bred for the Derby distance he showed tremendous pace.

The early gallop in the race was moderate. As a result the race turned into a flat out sprint from three furlongs out.

With two furlongs to run Camelot was stone last. He was cruising but it's usually hard for a horse to gain significant ground in a sprint finish.

Camelot managed the feat with ease. He was simply switched to the rail for a clear run and ambled by the leaders with almost no pressure at all to win by two lengths with his ears pricked and full of running.

They came home 1.2 seconds faster over the last three furlongs in the Racing Post Trophy than they did in the six furlong Listed race that preceded it. And Camelot handled this with ease. In other words sectional times show he didn't simply outpace a bunch of middle distance horses, he actually outkicked Listed class sprinters by a big margin.

I timed Camelot's performance from various points in the race and compared his sectional times with the other races run up the straight on the same card. And my sectional timing formula came up with ratings of 39 or 40 every time. I'm going with the lower of the two, which puts him level with Power and Dragon Pulse, the joint top rated 2YO's on my ratings before last week. But on what I saw I'm rather confident that he'd have swamped that pair for finishing speed if they'd lined up at Doncaster.

It seems to me that Camelot has the pace for the 2000 Guineas as well as the Derby. Trainer Aidan O'Brien clearly thinks the same way judged by his post race comments.

Let's not forget that in 1970 and earlier it used to be the norm for the top 3YO colts to contest the 2000 Guineas as well as the Derby. This practice was in decline for a lengthy period, during which it seemed fatal to a horse's Derby prospects to run in the 2000 Guineas. But in the last six years Sir Percy, New Approach and Sea The Stars all ran first or second in the 2000 Guineas before winning the Derby. So the trend looks to be over.

I concede that I'd feel more confident betting Camelot for the Derby rather than the Guineas. But I struggle to see what's going to be able to beat him at Newmarket on this run.

ZIP TOP (37) was under pressure soon after the pace picked up and was totally outpaced by the winner. But he kept on well to just hold on for second. Clearly a couple more furlongs or a stronger pace would have helped. However my feeling is that he's only going to prove Group 2 class.

If there was a Group 1 horse in the race besides the winner it was third placed FENCING (37) who was in the rear with the winner when the tempo increased three furlongs out. He picked up well and looked set to edge out Zip Top for second but shifted his ground slightly and missed being runner up by a head.

Trainer John Gosden said before the race that he felt Fencing was too green and immature to win at the top level. Next year he looks likely to improve over longer distances. I imagine Gosden will go his normal route with Derby prospects and shoot for the Classic Trial at Sandown where Fencing should be tough to beat. He looks over-priced at 33-1 for the Derby seeing that Camelot is the clear favourite at 7-2 and less.

BEATEN UP RUNS A GROUP 1 TIME

In many years there are one or two minor British pattern races run at the tail end of the season which attract exceptionally strong fields for the class.

This year's St Simon Stakes provides an excellent example. It only holds Group 3 status but went to a horse that clocked a Group 1 class time by my estimates.

The favourite was AL KAZEEM (39) who had run second to Sea Moon and Green Destiny in his last two starts. He looked the likely winner when coming through to lead two furlongs out but simply couldn't go with Beaten Up when that one went past him and powered nearly five lengths clear.

Al Kazeem was really unlucky to come up against a Group 1 class winner for the third time in a row. With normal luck he'd have been winning for the fourth time in a row here. He now seems to have tagged himself as a Group 2 horse but might just be able to progress to Group 1 company seeing that he's only run seven times.

BEATEN UP (42) outclassed a strong field to stay unbeaten after three starts. In doing so he demonstrated the amazing ability of top class horses to run a fast final time off a slow early pace.

The first seven furlongs of the St Simon Stakes was run in run in 1m 33 seconds or 13.29 seconds per furlong. The last five furlongs took just 58.75 seconds or 11.75 seconds per furlong.

Trainer William Haggas said after the race "I think this one can go a long way. Between him, Green Destiny and Dancing Rain we are going to have some fun next season. He's still a baby and should improve considerably over the winter."

Haggas was referring to the fact that he now has three solid Group 1 prospects for next season.

It's interesting to note that just seven years ago Haggas finished 32nd on the UK trainer's list. He improved his position to eighteenth the next year, fifteenth the next, fourteenth the next and was twelfth last season. Now he's worked his way up to tenth in the championship table and looks sure to top that next season. Clearly he's on the way up.

FINGAL BAY A SMART PROSPECT

FINGAL BAY (37) was rather impressive when winning the Grade 2 Persian War Novices' Hurdle at Chepstow.

Always close up, Fingal Bay kicked on into the lead at the end of the far side, more than a mile from home and sustained what had been a strong gallop all the way from there to the line. He jumped well and fairly flew a couple of flights up the homestraight when asked to stand off them.

Nothing was able to go with this deep chested, good looking sort in the closing stages and he finished full of running. I'd be surprised if he can't run a bit faster and would be wary of betting anything against him in the two and a half miler at Cheltenham's paddy Power meeting which is his next target.

In the long term Fingal Bay looks likely to stay three miles and take to fences. Right now he's surely going to prove one of the best staying novice hurdlers.

Runner up BAILE ANRAI (35) was the only one able to give the winner any sort of race. He's a proper three mile chasing sort and has clearly improved as he's been stepped up in distance. He's already won a point to point to point over three miles and a novice hurdle over a furlong and a half shorter. I can see him winning in pattern company when he goes back up in distance.

WOOLCOMBE FOLLY WANTS LONGER

TATANIANO (40) ran like a typical high class two mile chaser when winning at Chepstow last week. He set a strong pace, hurdled several of the fences and kept going strongly to clock a fast time.

Last season Tataniano managed only two runs, both of which he lost. He would have won the other eight times he's run less than two and a half miles if one half length defeat had been a win.

Right now it's hard to say whether Tataniano is going to make the transition to Grade 1 company. But he was able to be given a breather here entering the straight before accelerating away in the closing stages, so it looks likely he can go a bit quicker.

Like most high class two mile chasers Tataniano appears best fresh. That is on his first two runs of the season and with a break of at least five weeks between his completed starts thereafter.

I wouldn't be too concerned if Tataniano ends up falling or unseating in one of his next few starts. Most of the better two mile chasers get to be that way by hurdling their fences. If they get away with it, and they usually do, they gain ground and fly the jump. When they don't they hit the fence hard and are going so fast it's tough to recover. This is simply part and parcel of this kind of racing.

Smart as the winner is, the horse I like most from the race is third placed WOOLCOMBE FOLLY (36). He had to be niggled along all the way to keep up with the fast pace and lost serious ground with a couple of minor jumping errors that looked to be forced by a gallop that was a bit quick for him. He rallied really well from two out and was almost up for second.

Last year Woolcombe Folly ran a proper Grade 1 time when winning a chase half a furlong beyond two miles at Cheltenham. He clocked a slightly faster time than Master Minded managed on the same card. That was on a stiffer track on slower ground than he met at Chepstow last week.

Woolcombe Folly has already won a hurdle over 2m 3f. He got beat over thirty lengths the two times he tried Grade 1 company over two miles. My thinking is that he'd be competitive at that level over two and a half miles and might even get three.

His point about going and times re Great Endeavor is very relevant.

The ground wasn't Good To Soft at Cheltenham last week

Without the need for calculating any standard times you can test that by looking at the official goings and times from previous years

year/official going/time

2010/GS/312.60
2009/S/323.64
2008/S/317.34
2007/G/304.85
2006/GS/320.30
2005/GS/309.70
2004/G/304.20
2003/G/302.30

this year it was 301.95

its pretty clear that last Saturday fell clearly in the Good ball park..so why has the form book got G/S?...a surface that on previous evidence is 8+ seconds slower

i've been saying this about the formbook for so long now..its clearly making a mockery out of the most important piece of evidence we have as punters

just what chance do you have if you do not know the correct going today?..or what conditions horses are actually showing their best form under?

the going stick is clearly a complete joke as NM points out..the same reading on two different occasions but with goings given differeng from Good to Soft..from the same stick reading!!....laughable

Last edited:
LONG RUN NO CERT TO IMPROVE AT KEMPTON

As they set off down the backstraight for the final time in the Betfair Chase Diamond Harry's jockey James Reveley made a fateful decision that may well have a negative impact on the immediate prospects of every horse that ran in the race.

With nine fences still left to jump Reveley decided to move Diamond Harry up to take on Kauto Star for the lead. With the benefit of hindsight and sectional times the leaders should probably have been taking a breather at this point due to the strong early pace they'd been going. But, thanks to the ensuing duel between Diamond Harry and Kauto Star, they ran the roughly five furlongs from the first in the backstraight to four out 4.4 seconds faster than Grade 3 class chasers did over the same trip in the next race won by Cappa Bleu.

This brought about an unusual phenomena that I call a pace collapse where the entire field tires badly until they nearly grind to a halt approaching the finish.

From four out to two out the leaders ran 6.3% slower in the Betfair Chase than they did in Cappa Bleu's race. From two out to the last they ran 8.9% slower. From the last to the finish they ran 10.4% slower. All told they took five seconds longer to get up the homestraight.

Normally every horse that runs in a steeplechase over two and a half miles plus where there is a pace collapse requires as long as ten weeks to fully recover from the effort according to my research. However there is quite often one horse that the race brings on in fitness rather than knocks off form.

In the case of the Betfair Chase it is easy to leap to the conclusion that LONG RUN (40) will be such a horse because he was almost certainly the only runner that needed the run. You could well argue that he simply blew up through lack of fitness and this prevented him dipping as deeply into his reserves as his rivals.

Most likely this is the correct conclusion. But I reckon there's around a 20-40% chance that Long Run will be knocked back by the race as well.

What worried me the most about Long Run's performance was the way he got stretched into a string of jumping errors when Diamond Harry and Kauto Star kicked on. In addition he ballooned the last due to being tired and landed in a heap. He could so easily have crumpled on the landing side of the fence if he had set down even slightly wrong.

Before the race Long Run's trainer Nicky Henderson had voiced concerns about his charge's jumping and reported he'd just returned from extensive re-schooling with the expert in this field Yogi Bresner. This being so there has to be a concern that Long Run could once more be stretched into jumping errors in the King George.

The obvious counter arguement is that Long Run made several mistakes when running below form on his seasonal debut last term but bounced right back to take the King George next time out.

I wish I could say definitively what the right position is to adopt with Long Run after this performance. All I can say for sure is that the general odds of 6-4 now available about him for the King George make me want to look elsewhere for the winner.

KAUTO STAR (43) is clearly not the horse he once was. But he still put up a magnificent performance. He jumped boldly, set a strong pace, stood off a lengthy challenge from Diamond Harry then repelled Long Run when his old rival tried to work his way back into the race.

I honestly thought that Kauto Star was finished after he'd run a clunker at the Punchestown Festival. But trainer Paul Nicholls shrewdly reasoned that if he was ever going to win another Grade 1 it would be the Betfair Chase where he could give him a fitness edge by training him to the minute. As Nicholls said "he was very, very fit we made sure of that ... this was his Gold Cup."

It now seems clear that Nicholls' game plan all along was to win this race with Kauto Star and the King George with Master-Minded. However he and owner Clive Smith are now mulling over the idea of letting Kauto Star join Master Minded at Kempton for one last shot at the race he's won four times.

If he were mine I'd be tempted to retire Kauto Star and let him go out with a big win. He finished tired here so it's going to be hard for him to recover in time to reproduce this effort in the King George. The Gold Cup might seem a logical target if he's kept fresh. But the Cheltenham race appears to favour younger, more lightly raced horses these days - with fourteen of the last fifteen renewals going to horses that had thirteen or fewer previous starts over fences. It's hard to see what else Kauto Star could win.

Then again, thoughts like these simply highlight the wonderful difference between jump racing and flat racing where so many of the very best horses get retired before they've really shown what they can do. And no one should ever under estimate a horse that I agree is the best steeplechaser since Arkle. I think he's going to have a tough time winning again but you can argue it's great that he has the chance to try.

Third placed WEIRD AL (40) moved well for a long way and impressed with his accurate jumping at speed. But he didn't run quite up to the form he'd show when winning the Charlie Hall on his comeback. Indeed trainer Donald Mc Cain reported that jockey "Timmy Murphy said he didn't feel quite as sharp as Wetherby - which, with his track record, would be understandable. But it's a great run, and we're very pleased with him. It will be a long break, because he is definitely a better horse fresh and sharp."

Mc Cain is clearly right. Weird Al is not that robust for a chaser and almost certainly needs breaks between his runs as he requires longer to recover from them. He underwent surgery to correct partial paralysis of his larynx after running a clunker in last year's Hennessy and bled when pulling up in the Gold Cup in his comeback outing.

The major worry before Weird Al ran so badly in last year’s Hennessy was that he was legless in the closing stages in his previous start when just getting up in a slow motion finish to dead heat with subsequent Paddy Power Gold Cup winner Little Josh at Carlisle.

It was especially worrying to note that the Racing Post reporter said Weird Al looked distressed in the unsaddling enclosure after that race. I say this because it was a similar story after he'd won on his hurdling debut where he actually needed to be given oxygen he was in such a bad way.

The only win Weird Al has scored that wasn't preceded by a break of at least eight weeks was in a very slow run race on his second start last season where they were only going at racing pace for the last half mile. He'd needed a one year break after his hurdling debut win when he'd finished distressed.

It's going to be very tempting for Weird Al's connections to bring him back in the Gold Cup. But I think that race is simply too stressful for him. He had to be pulled up in it last year despite having had a break of 111 days beforehand.

The right race for Weird Al's comeback is surely the Totesport Bowl at Aintree. The tight turns and smaller field will make the race less stressful and therefore more suitable for Weird Al. And the exceptionally stiff jumps will make the most of his good jumping. If he skips the Gold Cup and goes straight to that race I'd like his chances.

Jockey James Reveley reported that fourth placed DIAMOND HARRY (37) was "flat out all the way", had finished very tired and would need a long break. This suggests to me that Diamond Harry may well need softer ground to slow the pace down. I suspect this will prove to be true as his career develops.

It does seem that Diamond Harry has recovered from the problems he experienced with a suspensory ligament. But he's clearly still inclined to push himself very hard in his races and needs time to recover from particularly stressful ones like this.

I don't know whether Diamond Harry will recover from this race in time to produce his best at Kempton in the King George. But his trainer Nick Williams says he won't run him in that race unless he feels he has recovered. So I'm going to be rather interested in his chances if he does line up and the ground is a good deal softer than it was here.

In my experience almost all horses run below form the first time they're taken on by a genuinely top class rival as Diamond Harry was here. The fact that he was able to sustain his effort for so long and actually look a big threat to win for quite some time says a lot for his qualities. I'm sure he'll be winning again in Grade 1 company sooner rather than later.

TIME FOR RUPERT (35) was flat to the boards to keep tabs on the leaders all the way just as he was on similarly fast ground in the RSA Chase last season. He's a very smart horse on softer ground, especially on more testing tracks. He too is capable of winning at the top level when he gets his favoured conditions.

MASTER MINDED HAS A REAL SHOT IN KING GEORGE

MASTER MINDED (42) looked set to run away from Somersby when he took the lead two out in the Amlin Chase. But he slowed down on the run in, allowing the runner up to come back at him.

One obvious explanation for why Master Minded failed to power clear just when he looked set to is lack of fitness. After all he was sweating beforehand, had been nowhere near ready first time out and is being specially trained to peak for the King George.

However it's also worth bearing in mind that Master Minded has never really kept up the gallop and charged clear like Long Run or Kauto Star once he's had his race won in the past. He's always tended to idle a bit. And with the King George in mind this is no bad thing. He'll almost certainly be at his peak for the big Kempton race. If he'd powered away from his rivals to clock a very fast time he might have had trouble recovering in time.

I can't say for sure that Master Minded will stay the three miles at Kempton. But I'm pretty confident he will from what I've seen of his races over the last couple of seasons. I see him as the best candidate to beat Long Run in the big Christmas race which is clearly his big target for the season. And trainer Paul Nicholls is right to point out that he has a remarkable record on right handed tracks like Kempton, having won all seven of his completed starts on such courses.

SOMERSBY (41) was just a little keen and gave his jockey no choice but to go on a long way out when continually out jumping those around him down the backstraight in the small field. This made this horse who is normally held up rather a sitting duck for Master Minded. He tried to kick away from his old rival three out but made a mistake there and was always going to be beat thereafter. He ended his chance with a slow jump at the last and took several strides to build his momentum back up on landing. But he was finishing stronger than Master Minded in the last 100 yards and closing the gap.

Somersby would have run second to Master Minded in four of his last six starts if a couple of half length decisions for the runner up spot had gone his way. He does seem to lack that vital bit of speed that truly top class horses can inject into a race at a crucial stage. So while he should appreciate the bigger field and longer trip at Kempton I can't help remembering how vulnerable he's looked so many times when tackling the very best in this game.

MEDERMIT was not going well as the first two from a long way out. He's not very big or robust for a chaser so I wonder whether he can fight for position effectively in a big field. He broke his maiden in a 12 runner race but all his subsequent six wins have been in single figure fields. His physique means he probably is best fresh too. His chase runs in single figure fields when it's been 35 plus days since his last start read 1111. He wasn't fresh here but my impression from the way he was beat so far out is that he's going to struggle in Grade 1 company even when fresh and in small fields now he's not running against novices.

THE SAWYER is a big-bodied sort that always needs three runs to get fit and must have soft or heavy ground. He would have won eight of the last twelve times he's had three or more runs under his belt and raced on soft or heavy in Grade 3 or lower class. Here he was struggling to keep up on the fast ground from some way out on his seasonal debut. Give him a couple more runs and genuinely soft or heavy ground and he can win again.

DYNASTE A GREAT CHASING PROSPECT

DYNASTE (41) put up a bold, front running display to take the Grade 3 Fixed Brush Hurdle at Haydock. Jumping the baby fences well he set a strong pace and was asked to go for home before three out whereupon he powered clear, opening up a huge break on his rivals. He understandably tired a little in the last furlong and had to be kept up to his work but still had eight lengths in hand at the line.

Trainer David Pipe says Dynaste strengthened up noticeably during the off season. This is clearly part of the explanation for the improved form he showed here. I suspect the switch from standard hurdles to obstacles that are visually hard to distinguish from fences also moved him up a good deal. He jumps really well and the only time his dam ever placed was when she ran second on her chasing debut.

I'm a little doubtful that Dynaste can be effective back over standard hurdles as stablemate Grands Crus who won this race in similar style last year. I think he's going to prove best over fences. So I wasn't surprised to hear that his connections are thinking of switching him to novice chasing right away.

There are two questions I have about Dynaste at this stage. The first is whether he needs breaks between his runs. The second is whether he can show his best form on a track with a steep uphill finish.

Right now my best guess would be to answer 'no' to both questions. His gung ho, exuberant style of racing ensures that he finishes his races with little energy to spare. So I’m going to be wary of betting him when his last run was less than five weeks ago.

Dynaste's ability to handle a steep uphill finish has to be in question seeing how he was tiring on the run in here and also how he stopped at Sandown the only time he had to go a strong pace in pattern company on a stiff track.

SYNCHRONISED (38) ran a remarkable race to finish third. He finished like a train to barrel through the field and gain something like fifteen lengths in the last quarter mile, most of it on the run in.

Clearly Synchronised was running here to protect his current handicap mark over fences. As a Midlands and Welsh National winner he's obviously being aimed at the Grand National.

The huge plus about this run is that it showed Synchronised can produce Grade 3 class from on fast ground in a race where a strong gallop ensures a real stamina test. This must give his connections hope that over the extended distance of the Grand National he can produce something like his best even if the ground is fast. Obviously his chances would be massively improved if it came up soft. Synchronised has to rate as one of the best soft ground chasers of recent years. He could probably run with Gold Cup horses on genuinely heavy ground.

The big concern in regards to the Grand National is what Synchronised's official rating will be when the weights for the Grand National come up. The stats suggest it needs to be no higher than the mark of 153 his stablemate Don't Push It won the Grand National off last year. If it is then I'm going to start getting rather interested in the long range weather forecasts for Liverpool in April. There's no such thing as a certainty in the Grand National, but on soft of heavy ground off a reasonable weight Synchronised would be as close to one as you can get.

OSCAR WHISKY WOULD BE INTERESTING BACK OVER TWO MILES

It's hard to be sure from a video, but OSCAR WHISKY (41) kooks to have grown and strengthened significantly since last season. He's now a strong, good-bodied, muscular, quite powerful sort. And though he's obviously built and bred for chasing, his physique also hints at serious pace.

I mention this because last season trainer Nicky Henderson suggested Oscar Whisky might well be more effective over two miles when he matured and filled his frame. This is true for plenty of young horses. The extra muscle they put on when fully mature increases their speed.

Oscar Whisky certainly looked to be very happy going the scorching pace set by eventual winner Overturn on fast ground in the Grade 2 Ascot Hurdle last week. True, the distance was three and a half furlongs longer than the minimum national hunt trip of two miles. But Overturn was going two mile pace right from the start and Oscar Whisky was able to stick close to him in second all the way till landing flat footed over three out. He worked his way back from there and was upsides when asked for a big jump and capsizing at the last. I think he'd have won by a neck or half a length if he'd stood up, and the fact he was trading at 1.31 in running at the last suggests most observers agree with that view.

I'd like to see Oscar Whisky cut back to two miles and shoot for the Christmas Hurdle at Kempton or the Festival Hurdle at Leopardstown a few days later. I'd prefer the latter race as it's around a more galloping track and likely to provide softer ground, But I'd fancy his chances in either race as he'd probably now be unbeaten in eight starts outside the Cheltenham Festival if he'd stood up here.

Whatever happens to Oscar Whisky back over two miles this season he looks like a tremendous prospect for the Arkle over fences next term. It would also be fascinating to see how well he'd do if Henderson tried him on the flat. He's a better hurdler than Rite Of Passage who won the Ascot Gold Cup, so I'd like his chances of taking the same race.

The winner OVERTURN (41) is a powerful front runner that's awfully hard to peg back on fast ground in a small field. Whenever he gets these conditions he'll be a betting proposition.

I'MSINGINGTHEBLUES IDEAL TYPE FOR RED RUM CHASE

I'MSINGINGTHEBLUES (40) won a valuable handicap chase at Ascot that was run at a searching pace. He seemed to really enjoy the way the pace collapsed in front of him thanks to the over fast early gallop (they covered the final half mile from the third last 2.6 seconds slower than they did in the longer Amlin Chase won by Master Minded.) He powered through from two out to run away from his rivals.

I've previously doubted I'msingingtheblues' stamina. It does seem that he doesn't quite get home at Cheltenham (or probably on soft ground). But it now looks like he actually prefers races where there's a big enough field to ensure a searching gallop. Over 2m 1f or less outside of Cheltenham his record in chases where ten or more have lined up would show four wins in five tries but for one photo finish loss.

The obvious long term target for I'msingingtheblues has to be the Red Rum Chase at Aintree. It's going to be hard to ensure he meets his ideal combination of circumstances outside of that race. But if he does I can see him winning another valuable handicap.

KING EDMUND (36) did well to finish so close seeing that he disputed the lead then kicked on at a pace that was never going to be sustainable. He kept going well and actually looked as though he might pull it off with half a mile to go but then understandably ran out of puff. Around a tighter track, especially in a smaller field where he can dominate, I can see King Edmund winning something decent.

POSTED ON NOVEMBER 28, 2011

DELAY THOSE ARKLE BETS ON PEDDLERS CROSS

The way that PEDDLERS CROSS (42) won a novice chase at Bangor last week was awfully reminiscent of his success in the Moorebattle Hurdle at Kelso last season.

In both races Peddlers Cross engaged in a sustained duel with a smart rival in a race run at a searching pace before going on to win in exceptionally fast time.

Last week Peddlers Cross battled with the Grade 1 winning hurdler Minella Class for a long way at Bangor in a race run at a remarkably strong pace for a novice chase. He was still being ridden along jumping the final fence and clocked a time that would have broken the course record had the ground not been on the soft side of yielding.

Peddlers Cross jumped very well, looking like a horse that had been running over fences for years. I guess technically he had because he won a point to point back in March 2009.

This run proves that Peddlers Cross is a remarkable talent. But it also shows once more that he has a bad habit of running too fast for his own good. He wears a cross noseband often used on hard pullers and does have a gung ho attitude about racing that's admirable but taxing.

I predicted after his performance at Kelso last term that Peddlers Cross might have trouble recovering in time for the Champion Hurdle. And he suffered his first ever loss in that race. But it was next time out that he really ran a clunker when trainer Donald McCain expressed reservations about running him back again too quickly at Aintree.

Now McCain says the plan is to run Peddlers Cross in another novice chase at Haydock in just three weeks. I have to say I don't like that idea as it will be his third run in a row without a break.

It seems to me that the approach Peddlers Cross takes to racing ensures that he's always going to be best fresh. That normally means a horse's first two runs of the season and five week plus breaks thereafter. Peddlers Cross has won all nine times he's been fresh in this way but lost two of the three times he hasn't. That one success when not fresh followed a very easy win against two other finishers in a novice hurdle that can't have taken much out of him.

I'd be inclined to bet against Peddlers Cross if he runs at Haydock or anywhere else within the next five weeks. But if he does run and loses then drifts in the betting for the Arkle I'd be grabbing the inflated odds with both hands. I'm sure McCain will freshen him up before Cheltenham and I can't see him being beaten there after this tremendous performance.

Runner up MINELLA CLASS (38) also needs to be fresh according to former trainer Trevor Horgan. You can see this from his physique as there's not much meat on his bones. In his case it looks like he needs six week plus gaps after his first two starts of the season judged on his record.

Minella Class had contested three point to points so it was perhaps not surprising that he too jumped exceptionally well for a novice chaser. He kept after the winner for a long way and raced upsides him for nearly six fences before finally giving best approaching the last.

The jury is still out on whether Minella Class gets much longer than two miles. My feeling is that he will stay two and a half miles despite those runs in the Sidney Banks Memorial and Neptune novices hurdle where he tired. After all the kept on well enough over half a furlong shy of two and a quarter miles here in a race run at a searching pace on yielding to soft ground. In addition he ran two lengths second to the smart Al Ferof in a three mile point to point.

I can readily see Minella Class returning to Sandown to score another Grade 1 win in the Scilly Isles Novices Chase over two and a half miles. If he's kept to two miles and runs in the Henry VIII Novices Chase at the same course this week I'd also be interested.

PLANET OF SOUND STARTS TO GET INTERESTING FOR GRAND NATIONAL

I gave CARRUTHERS (41) a good write up after his seasonal debut but confess to being a bit surprised by his win in the Hennessy Gold Cup. I'd long thought that he needed a small field otherwise he got pressed to go too fast early. Now though, following his win in the valuable 18 runner contest, I must revise my view.

The best I can come up with is that the Hennessy trip is Carruthers' maximum and 2m 4f his minimum, that he doesn't get home at Cheltenham and that he's needed his last four seasonal debuts. He's won seven of his nine starts in these conditions and run second in a Grade 1 in one of his two losses.

It's also possible that trainer Mark Bradstock's post race comment that Carruthers has strengthened since last season is significant and that the horse can now handle big fields, longer distances and stiff tracks.

In any event there's no way that I can continue to support my theory that Carruthers can't sustain a strong pace because he went a strong pace here but still ran the last two and a half miles a second faster than they took in the very good 0.145 chase over that distance later on the same card.

What was impressive was how strongly Carruthers kept going. He always rallies when he's challenged but did so to such effect here that he covered the six furlongs from the Cross fence five out to the finish faster than in any of the other three chases on the card - all of which were over shorter distances.

Carruthers has the ability to win a weak Grade 1. No doubt he'll be given a chance to do so sometime this season.

Runner up PLANET OF SOUND (40) went a long way towards validating an odd theory I've had about him that I've whittered on about several times before. This is the idea that he's best on giant two mile ovals like Newbury.

If he hadn't jumped poorly in one of his early starts and pulled hard in another when running second Planet Of Sound would probably have won all eight times he ran on tracks two miles or more in circumference before this smart run. He's lost his other eleven starts.

The obvious explanation for this odd pattern in Planet Of Sound's form is that he has exhibited breathing problems in the past. Around tracks smaller than two miles in circumference the pace slows around the turns then speeds up again on the straight stretches. He probably prefers a steady, non-varying demand on his breathing.

This being so, the suggested target of the Grand National looks a good one. The Grand National course is dead flat and two and a quarter miles around. I can easily see Planet Of Sound running a really big race there.

Third placed FAIR ALONG (40) has loads of ability. But he's rather small for a jumper and this tends to give him problems in big fields. He's lost the last sixteen times he's run in Graded company in fields bigger than eight. However he's won six of the last thirteen tries he's had in fields of eight or less and only failed to reach the first three once.

Here the searching pace eventually thinned out the field enough for Fair Along to work his way though the widening gaps between runners and stay on strongly late. Next time he hits a small enough field he'll be a threat to win again.

Fourth placed GREAT ENDEAVOUR (39) ran a tremendous race for such a doubtful stayer. He was held up and worked his way into the race easily early in the straight, actually looking like a winner until his stamina gave out between the last two.

Great Endeavour has won six of the seven times he's raced on what race times indicate was good or faster ground over trips short of three miles. With the ground now likely to turn against him I imagine he will be laid off until the Spring like he was last season. His connections will then have to decide whether to shoot for another win in the Byrne Plate (where he'd still be on a reasonable mark) or go for the Ryanair. If he gets his ground he’ll be a threat in either race judged on the time he clocked winning the Paddy Power Gold Cup on his seasonal debut.

Scottish National winner BESHABAR (39) stayed on like a train to take fifth. He's a big horse so probably always needs his seasonal debut (which this was). He's won five of the last six times he's run following his seasonal debut, with his sole loss being his second place in the National Hunt Chase at the Cheltenham Festival.

There's a slight question mark over whether Beshabar is at his best on steeply undulating tracks. But he’s' clearly going to be a serious contender in any long distance chase he contests this term.

WYMOTT (39) ran a tremendous race on ground that was too fast for him. Kept wide of the others, he jumped big and safe (which is normal for him) and was always within two or three lengths of the lead till beginning to get outpaced towards the end of the backstraight for the last time. He has tremendous stamina and simply kept running all the way to the line, staying on nicely in the closing stages but lacking the pace to make an impression.

Wymott's only loss in six tries on yielding or softer ground beyond two and a half miles came when he ran that smart horse The Knoxs to a length and a quarter.

The obvious long term objective for Wymott given his abundant stamina and safe jumping just has to be the 2013 Grand National. And I can readily see him being good enough to provide the McCain family with another winner in the great race. The big plus here is that his run suggests he may not need soft ground over the four and a half miles at Aintree. The distance itself will pull his rivals back to him just as mud does at shorter trips.

The stats suggest that it's tough for a horse to win the Grand National in only its second season over fences. So I'm inclined to think that the contest will come a year too soon for Wymott this term. The obvious target for him this time around is the Welsh National where he should get his ground.

GRANDS CRUS STILL LOOKS LIKE A TWO AND A HALF MILER

The Grade 2 GPG Novices Chase at Newbury was run over three miles. But the runners went a moderate pace for the first mile, turning it effectively into a two mile contest. So I've rated the race on the last two miles.

The pace distribution looked to suit the winner GRANDS CRUS (38) better than the runner up Sonofvic who is clearly an out and out three miler.

In the first mile Tom Scudamore hard to keep a tight hold on Grands Crus who was clearly wanting to go faster. The grey jumped with more proficiency once the pace picked up and travelled strongly all the way to the line.

This run did nothing to dispel my view that Grands Crus is going to be best suited by two and a half miles. I reckon he doesn't quite get home in a strongly run race over three miles. He's just too darned pacey for that.

I'd like to see Grands Crus cut back in trip and aimed at the Jewson or even better the Arkle. The latter race often goes to a horse that needs longer because it's so strongly run.

That said, most three mile novice chases are not strongly run. This is especially true of the Feltham which looks set to be the next target for Grands Crus. So if he sticks to three miles he may not get a serious test of stamina until he lines up for the RSA Chase at Cheltenham. And he's so classy he could well go there unbeaten.

SONOFVIC (37) got stretched into a few minor errors once the pace picked up and is obviously not that comfortable jumping at two mile pace on fast ground. Nonetheless he fought the winner all the way up the straight and forced him to be ridden out. In a more strongly run race or on softer ground my bet is he'd have won.

Sonofvic is a classy looking sort. He was unbeaten prior to this loss and had beaten the smart Tornado Bob on his previous outing. He is apparently only going to have the one more outing before his obvious target the RSA Chase. Logically that run should not be in the Feltham or the Reynoldstown as those races tend to be slow run. Ideally it should be on softer ground to ensure a proper stamina test too.

Certainly Sonofvic looks one of the very top RSA Chase candidates at this stage and a more likely winner of the race than Grands Crus. So I'm surprised to see him being offered at four times the price of Grands Crus for the big race.

ROCK ON RUBY HAS A SHOT IN CHAMPION HURDLE

It's easy to look at the pedigree and physique of ROCK ON RUBY (42) and say that he'll be suited to steeplechases over two and a half miles plus. But the fact is that since losing his debut he has run the minimum distance five times in Bumper and hurdle races and won every single time.

Rock On Ruby's latest success came in the Gerry Feilden Hurdle at Newbury where he carried top weight to success in a handicap run at a searching pace throughout.

From around halfway Rock On Ruby was niggled intermittently to keep up with the gallop. But as the pace began to tell and it became a real test of stamina he moved up and eventually powered away on the run in to score by six lengths.

As with many jumpers the key to Rock On Ruby appears to be the spacing of his runs. Normally this means a horse is best on its first two runs of the season then needs breaks of at least five weeks thereafter.

Rock On Ruby won a minor bumper race when not fresh in this way early in his career when he was racing well below his class and not being extended. But since then his two sub par runs have coincided with the two times he hasn't been kept fresh.

The big test for Rock On Ruby will come next month in what I still insist on calling the Bula Hurdle at Cheltenham. There he could easily encounter a tactically run race which will tempt many people to bet against him. But I'm not so sure he'll get chopped for speed despite the fact he had to be niggled along a couple of times at Newbury. First of all there's his excellent record over two miles. Then there is his pedigree.

Rock On Ruby's sire, Oscar, is renowned as a producer of three mile chasers. But if you look at the Champion Hurdle betting you'll find that four of the twenty horses listed at 33-1 or less are offspring of Oscar (Peddler's Cross, Oscar Whisky, Oscars Well and Rock On Ruby).

It strikes me that Oscar has still not had that many years as a jumps stallion to make definite statements about the preferences of his progeny. It could well be that in time they'll be seen as more likely to do well in short hurdles.

This season the big objective for Rock On Ruby is the Aintree Hurdle over two and a half miles. That seems sensible but the trouble is it comes only a few weeks after Cheltenham. So unless Rock On Ruby is kept out of the Champion Hurdle (which at this stage looks unlikely) he may well not be fresh enough to produce his best at Aintree. This was certainly the case last year when he got beat over twenty lengths in a Grade 2 at Aintree 24 days after losing the Grade 1 Neptune by only a short head at Cheltenham.

Runner up EMPIRE LEVANT (39) jumped several of the hurdles with real speed and was cruising all over his rivals turning in, looking a certain winner. However he began to flag between the last two and was totally outstayed by the winner.

On seeing this performance I soon began to wonder whether Empire Levant was a short runner. It looks like he is. He failed to get home at Punchestown, the only stiff track he's tried. He also failed to fully stay the distance at Kempton on the softest ground he's encountered in his jump starts. Toss out his hurdling debut (which most horses lose) and Empire Levant would have won all of his other six starts before this smart performance if one short head photo in a hot Listed race on the flat had gone his way.

Empire Levant can clearly last two miles well enough on yielding ground on a track that's not too testing. But he'd be pretty much unstoppable on good or faster ground in any handicap off his current ludicrously low mark of 128.

In the long run it's possible Empire Levant will last home better on softer ground or stiff tracks when he gets older. Right now though his connections have to decide whether it's worth persevering with him on Winter ground or whether they should wait for the Spring when the going will be more in his favour.

He's a pretty big bodied sort that could lose fitness if he's not kept on the go. So the best option is probably to persevere with him and simply hope the ground comes right at some point. If it did so for the totesport Trophy I 'd love his chances.

THAT'LLDOBOY CAN WIN AGAIN

THAT'LLDOBOY (37) has clearly improved a good deal for the switch to fences. He scored for the second time in a row in fast time at Newbury last Friday.

In a race run at a searching gallop That'lldoboy was always close up and powered well clear of the rest as he duelled with runner up Zarrafakt from two out before holding his rival's late rally by a head.

This was a Listed class performance by a horse that jumps well for a novice.

That'lldoboy should have no trouble staying three miles and can win again in better company soon.

Runner up Zarrafakt was closing quite rapidly on the winner up the run in but couldn't quite get there. If he had he would now have won on all four of his seasonal debuts.

The obvious concern with Zarrafakt is that so far he has lost all eight times he's run following his seasonal debut even when laid off for significant periods. Right now it looks like he doesn't hold his form and is worth opposing next time.

VERY EASY FOR PROSPECT WELLS

One of the confusing things about novice races is that sometimes a horse gets relatively close to one of the top performers simply because the opposition is weak.

This looked to be the case in the novice hurdle won by PROSPECT WELLS (33) at Newbury last Saturday. He was cantering over his rivals from a long way out and won with any amount in hand despite briefly losing focus and wandering on the run in.

Runner up ALL THE ACES (31) had some smart flat form and was able to get within four lengths of Prospect Wells. But the pace was strong throughout and the winner clocked a time nearly four seconds slower than Rock On Ruby managed on the same card. This makes me believe All The Aces will be a horse to oppose rather than bet at short odds in a similar race next time.

SIZING EUROPE PROBABLY BEST OVER LONGER THAN TWO MILES

Before the Tingle Creek I had thought that outside of Cheltenham SIZING EUROPE (34) would struggle to win over two miles. However thanks to an extraordinarily fast pace the race rode more like a two and a half mile contest and he won impressively after a good display of jumping.

The early pace had been really strong in the preceding Grade 1 chase for novices over the same trip. But Richard Johnson on WISHFULL THINKING (15) was clearly determined to make it even faster in the Tingle Creek. His mount charged the five furlongs or so to the third fence at an almost unbelievably fast gallop, reaching it five full seconds before the novices managed.

The pace had to tell, and it did. It caused what I call a pace collapse. This occurs when the field go an unsustainably fast early pace and clock a final time much slower than it should have been in a more evenly run race.

From the third last they took six seconds longer to reach the finish in the Tingle Creek than the novices did and 2.4 seconds longer than in the marathon chase over 3m 5f. They ended up clocking a time 1.9 seconds slower from the first fence to the finish than the novices.

I wouldn't take this run as evidence that Sizing Europe can normally produce his best over two miles outside of Cheltenham. I still see him as a two and a half miler than can get three miles if the early pace isn't too strong.

Runner up KAUTO STONE (30) really belted the last of the Railway fences, having moved strongly and jumped well to that point. He plugged on well to hold second as everything tired.

It's hard to be dogmatic about what Kauto Stone wants at this stage. Most likely he's going to be better going back up in distance. We still need to see how well he'll cope with a left handed course over UK or Irish style fences.

DON'T WRITE OFF ATOUCHBETWEENACARA

ATOUCHBETWEENACARA (23) is a smart horse on good or faster ground over less than three miles when he's fresh. He's won both times he's run in these circumstances, including when running away with a Grade 2 at Cheltenham.

Last Saturday Atouchbetweenacara showed he still has the jumping ability and speed that makes him smart in his favoured circumstances when running over three miles on heavy ground at Chepstow.

He jumped boldly in the lead at a pace that was a little too fast for the ground. This caused the field to slow up rather dramatically from the twelfth fence, with the field taking 5.4 seconds longer to get home from there than they did in the novice chase. They clocked a slower final time than the novices as a result but would almost certainly have run faster than them but for going too fast early.

When he gets his ground and comes into a shorter race off a break I can see Atouchbetweenacara scoring an upset win at big odds. He's plummeted in the handicap and would be a very interesting proposition for a valuable two and a half mile handicap at one of the Spring Festivals.

FOR NON STOP GETS INTERSTING FOR THE ARKLE

For most of the race AL FEROF (39) looked better class than his rivals in the Henry VIII Novices Chase at Sandown. He jumped slickly and fast behind the strong early pace and came through to lead three out travelling strongly.

However the strong gallop started to tell up the finishing hill and he had to be driven out to hold off the strong finish of runner up For Non Stop.

This run knocks on the head my theory that two miles might be a bit short for Al Ferof to win in Grade 1 company. But I now have another worry about him in regards to the Arkle and that is his lack of size.

So far Al Ferof has run in two races over jumps with 16 runners or more (once in a point to point) and he fell both times. Even if a really big field doesn't line up for the big race at Cheltenham I worry how he'll cope with its ultra competitive nature. Will he be able to fight for position effectively at the fences against bigger rivals?

With two fast runs under his belt this season I'd like to see Al Ferof given a break now. If he's brought back to race again over Christmas I'd be inclined to oppose him on the grounds that he won't be fresh enough.

Runner up FOR NON STOP (39) finished really well and only failed by a neck to get up. He would have won on his chasing debut but for tipping up and is clearly better over fences than he was over hurdles. This run makes him look rather interesting for the Arkle.

FINGAL BAY FINALLY SHOWS WHAT HE'S MADE OF

I've knocked FINAL BAY (40) in the past for failing to run better than Listed/Grade 3 class times. He put that right in the Grade 2 Novice Hurdle at Sandown last Friday.

The pace was moderate for the first half mile. But they covered the last two miles 4.2 seconds faster than they did in the novices handicap hurdle over the shorter distance. That effort puts Fingal Bay firmly into the Grade 1 category on my ratings.

The reason for the faster time was that Fingal Bay had a rival that pushed him to put in a much bigger effort in runner up Simonsig. The way that Fingal Bay rallied when that one seemed to be cruising all over him two out was most impressive. He ended up quickening away again to actually win with a bit in hand.

Fingal Bay is a classy looking sort that has the physique to jump fences in time. This run showed that he is far from lacking in pace. In fact he would be able to hold his own over two miles on this showing in the best novice company.

Runner up SIMONSIG (39) had won all four of his completed starts before this and looked to have the winner in trouble when coming there cruising to challenge two out. He couldn't quite go with Fingal Bay when that one quickened up but pulled a long way clear of the rest in his efforts to stay with him. He's clearly smart, and would most likely have been suited to a stronger pace in the first half mile. For a horse that's already won two point to points over three miles to run this well in what was effectively a two mile contest is quite something.

RESTLESS HARRY NEEDS TO GO BACK TO HURDLES

RESTLESS HARRY (35) disappointed for the second time in two chase starts when finishing second to Teaforthree at Chepstow. He was being niggled along from halfway and didn't look too confident at several of the jumps. His jumping got worse as he tired and he made errors that cost him ground at the fourth and third last.

Raw stamina enabled Restless Harry to claw back some of the lost ground in the closing stages, but it now looks clear he simply doesn't have what it takes to jump fences and show anything like the form he's capable of over hurdles.

The winner TEAFORTHREE (36) is a tall, deep chested staying sort that jumped well and kept up a strong gallop all the way to the line. I think his trainer is right to aim him at the four mile National Hunt Chase as stamina is clearly his strong suit. On faster ground I think he'd have trouble being competitive over three miles in pattern company.

Wouldn't disagree that Sizing Europe needs at least a stiff 2m to be seen at his best - hardly surprising in a horse that almost stays 3 - but would question the typical Mordin style of taking times for parts of the race in isolation to justify the whole.
His "pace collapse" theory for the Tingle Creek ignores that the "extraordinary fast pace" applied only to Wishfull Thinking, who went as much as 3 seconds clear, and was virtually ignored by the rest of the field, and the " 6 seconds longer from the 3rd last" owed much to Sizing Europe only doing what he had to to beat a solitary rival (Kauto Stone) who needs further anyway.

Back