The thoughts of the handicappers.

I thought it was encouraging that Sprinter Sacre toughed it out, as most of his wins have been achieved with at least a degree of ease. If there was a weakness in him physically this is the sort of situation that would likely have shown it – the finish was slow and tiring on the sectionals – but there wasn’t a hint of it.

the reason for the slow finish for Sprinter is highlighted in the split comparison with Ar Mad

F1-F4F4-F7
Ar Mad68.9958.8756.4036.69
Sprinter Sacre70.5958.2854.5838.72

<tbody>
[TD="width: 51"] F7-F10 [/TD]
[TD="width: 51"] F10-Fin [/TD]

</tbody>

that increase in pace between F7-F10 took a chunk of sting out of his finish..2 seconds quicker in that split than Ar Mad..it certainly damaged final time and speed figure..at the same time though AM is pretty impressive having run harder than SS early doors. Ar Mad put a near G1 overall time in winning that race..the form is hot..but not as hot as another one in Ireland:) who has already passed the G1 level by a few lengths..this 2 mile nov division is searing hot

Last edited:
That's the Irish rating, EC1 - I think the British one will be different. Also, they may not have re-assessed Vautour in light of a run in England.

DO, I think the horses are handicapped independently throughout the season - hence why there are complaints about some of the marks awarded Irish horses for Cheltenham handicaps. I think the consolidated mark is only agreed between British and Irish handicappers, when they are producing the Classifications after the season has ended.

DO, I think the horses are handicapped independently throughout the season - hence why there are complaints about some of the marks awarded Irish horses for Cheltenham handicaps. I think the consolidated mark is only agreed between British and Irish handicappers, when they are producing the Classifications after the season has ended.

My understanding is that once they get to a certain level there is conferencing among the handicappers (people) but the handicappers (horses) that run at the festival tend not to come into that category. In his blogs, I'm pretty sure the handicapper often refers to agreeing a mark with his Irish counterpart.

But I can't state that with 100% certainty.

Maybe if someone has the jumps version of Raceform Interactive they can check this from past festivals.

To be fair, I'm not absolutely certain I'm right either.

Whatever is the case, 171 would not appear to be an entirely accurate reflection of Vautour's ability, if it accounts for the King George run.

To be fair, I'm not absolutely certain I'm right either.

Whatever is the case, 171 would not appear to be an entirely accurate reflection of Vautour's ability, if it accounts for the King George run.

Agreed. I have both CC and V on 180 with DC on a notional 179 for the race. Superb stuff compared with the Silviniaco Conti years :p

Proper top class stayers.

Last edited:
THISTLE CRACKS CHELTENHAM TRIALS DAY / 02 FEB 16

TRIALS DAY

Trials day at Cheltenham always raises anticipation for the Festival to another level, and with some breathtaking performances in the staying hurdle division, that’s exactly what happened again. The best of the hurdles action is discussed at length in our latest piece, and it’s complimented by the happenings in the 2m chase division from another informative card at Doncaster.

THISTLE CEMENTS HIS POSITION

Those hoping for Festival clues at the weekend will surely have not been disappointed, writes Martin Greenwood.

In the staying hurdle division, we had a World Hurdle trial and two very interesting novice events, all of which produced winners that will be strongly fancied when March arrives.

Let’s start with Thistlecrack. He was already in pole position in the betting for the World Hurdle prior to lining up in the Galliardhomes.com Cleeve Hurdle at Cheltenham, and anyone who had backed him for either race will have been smiling from ear to ear. Despite giving 8lb away to all but one of his rivals, Thistlecrack absolutely demolished the field and barely came off the bridle to beat Ptit Zig twelve lengths.

While incredibly visually impressive, the bare bones of the victory, ie beating the likes of The Romford Pele and Knockara Beau around fifteen lengths means the ‘bare’ form is nothing special. However, this in no way denigrates Thistlecrack, because of course, that twelve lengths could have been anything. Rather than guessing his superiority, I have simply left the 168 he posted at Ascot on his previous start, which is the best performance achieved by a staying hurdler this season. Even if Cole Harden and Whisper, winners at the big spring Festivals last year, return to their best, they will have their work cut out to beat this still progressive type. Of course we then have to factor in which of the Mullins mares will turn up, but I am not sure Thistlecrack’s connections will be over worried given they have the ‘form in the book’ so to speak.

Just over half an hour earlier, Yanworth treated us to an equally impressive win in the Neptune Investments Classic Novices’ Hurdle. Stepping up trip, Yanworth already had the edge on form with a rating of 148, compared to the next best Shantou Village on 146. While the latter almost certainly justified his rating in finishing second, he was absolutely blown away by Yanworth, who like Thistlecrack, was barely off the bridle and was value an awful lot more than the official seven-length margin. It is hard to crab this performance in any way and I have settled on a new mark of 158. This may undervalue him but given he is the best novice hurdler full stop so far this season it is largely academic short term, and surely the Festivals will establish quite how good this fellow is.

If connections of Barters Hill were watching from Doncaster, then surely they will have decided to run their fellow in the longer Albert Bartlett at the Festival. Not only would they have witnessed Yanworth tearing the place up, but Barters Hill looked stamina through and through in winning a gruelling Albert Bartlett River Don Novices’ Hurdle. Ratings wise he only had the comparable Up For Review to contend with, but with that horse turning in a very disappointing performance, it is hard to justify Barters Hill matching his Newbury form of 150. With the likes of Ballydine (132 going in) and Ami Debois (125) making Barters Hill pull out all the stops, I reckon that Barters Hill probably managed a performance ‘only’ in the mid-140s at best here. Of course both the second and third were unexposed, and time will tell if the new marks for them of 145 and 130 is the right call. Barters Hill is still a very exciting prospect and would top the ratings in the Albert Bartlett as things stand today.

LIGHTNING STRIKE FOR VANITEUX

It’s a shame Shaneshill didn’t bring his A-game to Doncaster on Saturday as I was hoping to get a solid line on him against some smart British novices, but the Grade 2 Grand-National2016.co.uk Lightning Novices’ Chase still made for a thrilling spectacle as the second and third from the Wayward Lad went toe to toe, writes Graeme Smith.

The pair endorsed that form behind Ar Mad, who I rate as the leading British-trained 2m novice at 155, and Vaniteux confirmed superiority over Arzal, but it was a closer-run thing despite Vaniteux being on 2lb better terms.

I’m happy to have Vaniteux reproducing his 152 figure from Kempton, at least with the caveat that he’s value for an extra length having been less fluent than his rival at the last. That meant Arzal’s figure increased from 149 at Newbury and Kempton to 151. His Newbury form wasn’t the easiest to pin down given the wide margin he won by (the runner-up has improved to win at a longer trip since), whilst a mid-race mistake undoubtedly affected him at Kempton, where he also lost momentum at the last.

Incidentally, a time comparison with the later handicap reads well, though the sectionals show they went a marginally better pace here.

That handicap proved more one-sided than I’d have liked as the Irish-challenger Dandridge came home five lengths clear of Just Cameron without looking flat out. It seems the good ground at Doncaster suited him better than the softer surface he’d been facing back home. A 12lb rise to 137 could put him on the cusp of getting in the Grand Annual at Cheltenham should his connections fancy a return trip.

In that handicap I was very interested to see how the novices Red Spinner and On Tour got on as I’d found both of them tricky to weigh up. Red Spinner showed up well before fading into fourth, and as it’s hard to know how much a bad mistake at the seventh fence took out of him he’ll stay on 143 until I’ve seen him again. On Tour had beaten Otago Trail (now rated 154) at Exeter for the first of his two chase wins, and I’m asking him to try again from 138 as he clearly wasn’t himself.

Going back to the novices, Douvan was imperious in Ireland at the start at last week. Since hammering a fourteen-strong field (who showed him plenty of respect!) in a beginners chase he’s beaten only five rivals in gaining two Grade 1 successes, both times without turning a hair. As such it’s hard to be dogmatic about what he’s achieved. I haven’t discussed him with the Irish handicapper yet but it will come as no surprise when I say I rate him a standout.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A YEAR MAKES

Twelve months on from Peace And Co’s success in the Grade 2 JCB Triumph Trial Finesse Hurdle en route to Festival glory, the Nicky Henderson yard again captured the prize, writes David Dickinson.
However, this was a very different set of circumstances. Gone was the 4/9 starting price, as the winner this time around Protek des Flos was sent off the 25/1 outsider of the six runner field. Just as the outcome of the race was unexpected, the interpretation of the result is dividing opinions.

Protek des Flos came into this race with just one run in France to his name, finishing second in the slower division of a listed newcomers race at Auteuil. That his Cheltenham success was a considerable improvement on that effort is indisputable, but the question is what bearing it might have on events come March.

My take on the race is that the result relied far more on stamina than could reasonably have been anticipated. From tape up to the winner crossing the line took comfortably over four and a half minutes and half a minute from the finish the result could not have been predicted. At that stage, form horses Who Dares Wins and Clan des Obeaux were travelling strongly, if racing each other a little too much that far from home, and certainly to the eye were still going better than the winner who had jumped the penultimate flight last of the six. What happened in the following thirty seconds was a surprise to most, as stamina and ability to cope with the conditions became paramount – remember the course was deemed to be waterlogged at 7am and only dried up enough in the nick of time for racing to go ahead.

Ultimately the French-bred trio coped best and Protek des Flos stayed so well that he was more in charge at the line than appeared likely even when he hit the front. Does this make him a shorter price for a Triumph hurdle than he started last Saturday, personally I doubt it. That is not to distract from the horse’s promise as he clearly has plenty, but it is unlikely that the test come the Festival will play to his strengths quite as much as appeared to be the case on Saturday. One last thing to remember is that, being a Grade 2, it was not a level weights race. Who Dares Wins still came out as the best horse on the day.

This race is often a pivotal test of the juvenile form but just served to muddy the waters in 2016.

AGRA PARTS THE FIELD / 16 FEB 16

A DAY OF SURPRISES

Saturday big races proved tricky viewing for favourite backers, with the hot favourite Blazer getting sunk in the Betfair Hurdle and the 5/1-on L’Ami Serge really fluffing his lines in the Kingmaker. Dodging Bullets had also been odds-on through the week for all he was replaced as favourite in the final seconds running up to the Game Spirit. So what does our team make of it all? Read on…

AGRA LOOKS THE PART

I suppose in what seems to be developing into a stellar season for 2m novice hurdlers it shouldn’t come as a shock that novices filled three of the first four places in last Saturday’s Betfair Hurdle, writes David Dickinson.

The season’s most valuable handicap hurdle is always a competitive affair and with Ladbroke dead-heater Sternrubin leading after the first flight a strongly-run renewal looked assured. However Richard Johnson didn’t seem to have read the script and he slowed his mount going into the first bend, causing a domino effect in behind in which there were one or two major sufferers. One of the main ones was the inexperienced favourite Blazer, having only his seventh race. Originally handicapped on his limited French form, he had made that initial mark look all wrong at Leopardstown the previous weekend and was running effectively 10lb well in at Newbury. He failed totally to cope with the slowing of the pace on the first bend whereas Lizzie Kelly and Agrapart were positioned just to the outside of the leader and took it in their stride.

Agrapart’s win came on just his fifth hurdles start but he had a short Flat career as a three-year-old and benefited from Lizzie Kelly’s 5lb claim, something she could not draw in the Grade 1 Tolworth Hurdle on the horse’s previous run. Indeed, that Tolworth form looks even stronger now than it did at the time with all three of the runners having won subsequently. The irony is that Willie Mullins, having fielded five runners here without success, finds the form of his Tolworth winner Yorkhill boosted heading towards the Festival. Quite how all the deep ground, winter form will work out come what is usually much better ground for the Cheltenham features is anybody’s guess.

With plenty of hard luck stories in behind it paid to be towards the front and runner-up Starchitect travelled like the most likely winner for most of the contest. His measure had been taken by the winner when he all but came down at the last. Had he lost his rider, I would have rated him six lengths better than Waxies Dargle and see no reason to change that judgement. He still gets a good pull with Agrapart, whose mark goes up 13lb to 150.

It was a quieter week on the juvenile front after the seismic shifts in the balance of power (and the ratings) the previous weekend, with Footpad and Connetable both running to 150 in winning. Those two were both placed in the Prix du Poully at Auteuil last May, with the now Nicky Henderson-trained Fixe Le Kap on their heels, and that demonstrates how pivotal some French races can become to the juvenile programme these days. On the subject of Fixe Le Kap, he is among the entries for this Saturday’s Ray Gilpin Victor Ludorum Hurdle at Haydock. Well done to Haydock for naming a race after Ray but it is a pity it is only a Class 2. Ray himself was very much out of the top drawer.

GAMBLE PAYS OFF

Both graded races in the 2m chase division last week proved less than satisfactory as far as getting a line to the horses involved goes, with only one horse in each race ‘turning up’, writes Graeme Smith.

First was the Grade 2 Betfair Exchange (Game Spirit) Chase at Newbury, which went the way of Top Gamble as last year’s champion chaser Dodging Bullets failed to fire. Kerry Lee was quoted in the run-up as saying she didn’t expect Top Gamble to beat an on-song Dodging Bullets, but second prize meant good money and there was always a chance Paul Nicholls’ charge might not be at his best in testing ground and after an absence, and boy was she right.

Top Gamble is well suited by the mud, and sensibly ridden to exploit any fitness/sharpness deficiency in Dodging Bullets, as Captain Conan was too, he had his chief rival in trouble by the third last and came home with ten lengths to spare, which I rated as eleven lengths due to Richard Johnson easing him late.

It’s never easy putting figures on a race where all bar the winner have run below form, but we do have a few methods we can use for a guide. Historical standards suggested a figure around 163 for Top Gamble, but as his rating had settled between 152 and 155 over the last twelve months I wasn’t sure I wanted to credit him with that level of improvement. Instead I went back to his last race, a competitive handicap at Cheltenham on New Year’s Day, which I knew was working out well. The winner Village Vic hadn’t run since, but Tenor Nivernais in second had improved another 4lb on top of that day’s form to be second again at Cheltenham’s late-January meeting. Considering Top Gamble had finished a close third, and clear of the remainder, I thought it appropriate to keep him in line with Tenor Nivernais from Cheltenham and therefore raise him 4lb to 159. As a knock on, Village Vic’s rating was also raised an extra 4lb to 157 despite the fact he’d never left his stable. This is standard handicapping practise – horses go down as well as up for ‘not running’ – but we do like the horse’s profile to support such movement, and as Village Vic has improved hugely to win good handicaps on all four starts this winter there’s no doubt that his does.

Dodging Bullets was conceding 5lb to Top Gamble and ran to a figure of 153. He’d earned 171 last season when winning three Grade 1s but obviously there’s an element of doubt about his ability to run to that now. I dropped him to 168 after this return, which puts him below Sprinter Sacre (170) and Sire de Grugy (169), who have better profiles going into this year’s Champion Chase.

While there was still plenty to hang the Game Spirit Chase on, Warwick’s Grade 2 7bets4free.com Kingmaker Novices’ Chase proved much harder to level. Violet Dancer had won last year’s valuable Betfair Hurdle and three of his four starts over fences prior to Saturday’s race, but those wins included a handicap and his form amounted to nothing more than 143. His two rivals were rated higher – L’Ami Serge was 153 over hurdles and had won both his starts over fences with ease and Fox Norton came rated 148, albeit with doubts about the strength his best run.

What you can rely on from Violet Dancer is that he’s tough and game, and after taking the fight to his rivals approaching those tricky five fences in Warwick’s back straight he already had them in trouble when his fluency began to wane from the fourth last. After being only three lengths clear of L’Ami Serge at the second last he ran away again to win by eleven.

Fox Norton clearly wasn’t himself having lost touch fully five from home, and he’s down to 145, with the race in which he’d been beaten by Garde La Victoire at Cheltenham also pulled back 3lb. The question was what to make of Violet Dancer and L’Ami Serge.

I have L’Ami Serge running to figures of 147 for both his wins over fences and reckon if he and Violet Dancer were to renew rivalries he’d probably start favourite again. I’d excuse this run to some degree, as he looked to be making a poor shape at his fences throughout to me (also several mistakes) and then seemed awkward off the bridle – maybe all wasn’t well. I didn’t want to rate Violet Dancer as improving hugely given he’s looked a low 140s horse for the last twelve months, so thought it was fair to rate him the equal of L’Ami Serge’s chase form at 147 – some improvement to acknowledge this Grade 2 win but nothing drastic. For context, his stablemate Ar Mad (reported to be out for the season due to injury) is the highest rated 2m novice in Britain at 155. Given L’Ami Serge’s superior hurdles form and the ease of his previous chase wins, I added an extra 1lb to his bare figures (148) to reflect the fact I feel he’s probably still the better horse, albeit not yet as impressive as he’d been over hurdles.

Maybe my reasoning isn’t quite as strong as I’d ideally have liked, but historical standards suggested a figure higher than I was comfortable with for Violet Dancer. I’ll have to sit tight until the form’s tested, and in Violet Dancer’s case that’s unlikely to be until next season as he’s reported to have returned home with an injury.

CHELTENHAM HURDLE PREVIEWS / 01 MAR 16

We start with David Dickinson’s take on the 2m races.

BEATEN BY A GIRL?

I cannot remember the complexion of a championship race changing as completely in the weeks prior to its running as this one.

The rating required to win a Stan James Champion Hurdle this century has varied from the 164 that Hors La Loi III achieved in 2002 to the 176 of Istabraq in his pomp. The race card ratings for Faugheen and Arctic Fire would have been 176 and 169 respectively; so their absence changes this from a race that might have bettered Istabraq’s figure to one that might not achieve Hor La Loi III’s.

Annie Power (162 at her best and add the 7lb mares’ allowance) is not yet even entered but is already favourite. One facile win over a longer trip is hardly the normal preparation of a Champion Hurdle favourite. Her last run over two miles was a very impressive win. But that was more than two years ago. Presumably, she is seen as a more likely winner than her stable companion Nichols Canyon (161), the only horse to beat Faugheen.

That form does look all wrong now although he did beat Identity Thief (159) at Leopardstown over Christmas. He won that through his stamina as the runner up looked to travel better for the majority of the race and then get outstayed. Cheltenham will surely be more of a speed test and it may be that Nichols Canyon’s optimum trip in the top grade is beyond 2m.

Identity Thief is the one towards the front of the market who appears most capable of further improvement. His racecourse debut came in a bumper in November 2014 and he has already come a very long way in his eight race career.

Another candidate who leaves the impression that his optimum trip may be beyond two miles is the main British hope The New One (160). He was unlucky in the Champion Hurdle of 2014. His recent Haydock win was more impressive than those he gained at the course last season. Supporters will point to the 167 he achieved in Jezki’s Champion Hurdle to suggest he can still win one.

That comment could also apply to My Tent Or Yours (161), a place ahead of him that day but off the track for almost two years subsequently. He was 168 at his highest. He has always been tricky to get settled and surely, after all this time off, won’t he be fresher than ever?

Overall, five year olds have a poor record in this race but there is a quartet of them on the periphery. These are Peace And Co (157), Top Notch (158) and Hargam (157) – the Nicky Henderson 123 in last year’s Triumph Hurdle – plus the much improved Old Guard (157).

Peace And Co is probably the most talented of these and better ground would surely suit; but he looked anything but straightforward last time at Sandown.

It may be that Camping Ground (163) will take his chance despite his only two mile form in this country coming when fourth in a handicap off 150. His current rating, gained over two and a half miles on testing ground, makes him of interest even if the trip is an issue.

SUPREME SUPREME?

This year’s renewal looks to be one of the best Sky Bet Supreme Novices of recent years. The entries include half a dozen horses who are already rated in the 150s. These horses are, however, housed in just two yards.

The Willie Mullins-trained Min is not currently the highest rated but the talk all winter has been that he is the stable’s first choice. He raced with the choke out last time but still won well and the form received a boost with the subsequent success of third home Ball d’Arc. That said, Min has not yet established himself as outstanding on the racecourse in the way that his predecessors Vautour and Douvan had; and the Mullins backup squad is talented in its own right.

Yorkhill’s Tolworth win is currently rated 156 and he saw off runaway Betfair Hurdle scorer Agrapart that day. The Mullins yard has further strings to its bow with Long Dog (154) and Bachasson (151) neither of whom will be inconvenienced by any drying of the ground.

Nicky Henderson has two major players in the contest. Altior (155) is another who takes a good hold but the form of his Kempton win looks stronger by the day; and Buveur d’Air (154) was very impressive in two novice wins. He got the better of his stable companion when both were beaten by Barters Hill in a bumper at Newbury just over a year ago.

WHO WILL BE TRIUMPHANT?

The juvenile form appears unexceptional in Britain, Ireland and France. The only consistent factor is the inconsistency of the form at the top level.

In the warmest, wettest winter on record in Britain, it is no surprise that French-bred horses have dominated many of the juvenile trials. I currently have two of them, Footpad and Connetable rated 150 as my top-rated entries.

Zubayr (not qualified for a rating yet) firmly threw his hat into the ring when winning last Saturday’s Adonis at Kempton and has to be a contender. However, once adding in the 7lb sex allowance to fillies’ ratings, there are no less than fifteen other contenders at 140 or more in a very open year.

All but six of these are French-bred. The exceptions are Saturday’s runner up Azzuri (who is not yet qualified for a published mark), Ivanovich Gorbatov, Leoncavallo, Jer’s Girl and the Alan King-trained pair Who Dares Wins and Gibralfaro, who are the highest rated of this sextet on 146.

WHO’S GOT THE STAYING POWER?

With a fortnight to go before reputations are extinguished or enhanced it seems a good time to review the principal participants in Cheltenham’s four championship races over hurdles taking place over 2m 4f or more, writes Martin Greenwood.
The World Hurdle is the obvious place to start this section. Anyone who read my blog after Thistlecrack had hosed up at Cheltenham’s late-January fixture will already be aware of some of what follows.

He has been a revelation since connections ramped him up to 3m last spring. He posted a solid looking 168 rating when comfortably accounting for course specialist Reve De Sivola at Ascot in December.

Thistlecrack did not need to repeat that performance when next seen at Cheltenham as all of the horses behind him had lower ratings. However he was visually imperious, never out of third gear and he stormed up the hill. His current price reflects the fact that he has the best form on offer.

Next in the ratings are Kilcooley, 2015 World Hurdle winner Cole Harden and 2015 Aintree winner Whisper, each of whom are rated 164. However, there appear to be questions about all three.

Kilcooley is a very game front runner and has largely progressed since a novice. However he has not been seen since winning a hard to assess contest at Wetherby in October and has reportedly had training troubles.

Neither Cole Harden nor Whisper have yet to run to their best this season, particularly the latter who has looked as if something is amiss. One imagines that connections of each are hoping that the better ground expected at the Festival will bring an upturn in fortunes.

It now looks that Annie Power will be running in the Champion Hurdle which would leave Vroum Vroum Mag (rated 161 including the 7lb sex allowance) to run in either the World Hurdle or the OLBG Mares. She would look a penalty kick to continue Mullins’ dominance in the latter in the absence of Annie Power.

If neither of the Mullins mares turn up in the World Hurdle and if Nichols Canyon (161) runs elsewhere, the fast improving Prince of Scars (159) would be next best in the ratings. He has been a revelation since joining Gordon Elliot after a break, though faster ground is an unknown.

The following afternoon over the same distance, fledging World Hurdle hopefuls of the future line up in the Albert Bartlett Spa Novices.

This race is often a stamina sapping affair, usually run at a good clip and the wheat and chaff can get well sorted up the hill. Sometimes the best stayer rather than the best animal comes out on top, especially if the conditions are unfestival like.

The favourite on most lists is Barters Hill (150) who has done very little wrong, though I felt that he was unimpressive in beating Ballydine at Doncaster last time. The one thing this fellow does seem to have in abundance is stamina.

I do have one novice stayer over the longer trips rated higher in Unowhatimeanharry (152) who has progressed massively since joining the ever more impressive Harry Fry. I took a positive view of his demolition of a Pertemps qualifier field at Exeter last time; but the fact he is among the favourites for the Pertemps Final should be taken on board.

Trying to second guess running plans makes it difficult to pinpoint which horses will line up for this race, but Up For Review (148) will surely take part. He was disappointing in the same Doncaster race mentioned above but looked a decent prospect at Punchestown.

Another Mullins’ horse, Gangster (147), showed he has plenty of stamina when strolling home at Fairyhouse before Christmas. Shantou Village and A Toi Phil (each 146) are next best but both appear in the betting for the three furlong shorter Neptune Investment Novices on the Wednesday. Shantou Village is a smart prospect but could not hold a candle to Yanworth (158) over course and (near as damn it) distance in January.

Yanworth was very impressive that day, both visually and form wise, and remains the top novice at any distance. Next in the overall pecking order is Yorkhill (156), who’s Tolworth victory at Sandown has worked out extremely well. In the same ownership, Bellshill (148), has done very well this season, mainly around the mid-distance hurdle trip, though was disappointing behind Bleu Et Rouge (149) and Tombstone (147) when dropped to 18f and odds on at Leopardstown last time.

ANNIE OR NOT?

The Grade 1 David Nicholson Mares Hurdle has an unclear shape to it at the time of writing says Chris Nash. There are currently thirty seven horses entered but there is a supplementary entry stage on March 9th.

Amongst the current entrants the top five on our ratings are: Annie Power (162), Vroum Vroum Mag (154), Polly Peachum (149), Smart Talk (149) and Bitofapuzzle (148). Although the Willie Mullins-trained Annie Power sets a clear standard, it now seems that she will run elsewhere.

She has run just the once this season and that was in a Class 3 Mares hurdle at Punchestown in mid-February where she had just two opponents and started as the 1/20 fav. She largely just had a school round and won as she pleased recording a figure of 149+. Her current rating of 162 is based on form of previous years including when looking the sure-fire winner of this race last year before falling at the last.

The horse with the second best BHA rating is Vroum Vroum Mag, given 154 by the British Handicappers. Her latest run was an impressive success in a Grade 2 hurdle at Ascot in January where she recorded that figure. She holds an alternative entry in the World Hurdle and is also in the Ryanair Chase.

The next three in the ratings are all British trained:

Polly Peachum (149) was last seen winning a Listed Mares hurdle at Sandown in February. She has a largely consistent profile and ran a similar figure to her current rating when second in this race last year.

Smart Talk (149) is a progressive novice who has won four of her six hurdle races from 2m to 2m4f. The latest was a Grade 2 Mares hurdle at Doncaster in January where she recorded her career best figure of 149. She is very likely to receive an entry in the new Mares novice hurdle race at the Festival run over 2m 1f on the Thursday but entries for that haven’t yet closed.

Bitofapuzzle has a current hurdles rating of 148. She has been novice chasing last year but her last hurdles run in April saw her win a Grade 1 novice at Fairyhouse. She was also third in this race last year.

Finally if both Annie Power and Vroum Vroum Mag were to run elsewhere Willie Mullins would still have options towards the top of the ratings. These would be led by Morning Run who is currently rated 144 and finished four and a half lengths behind Smart Talk at Doncaster last time out.

Thanks, Perpetual. Nice to see Bachasson getting a mensh in there. Hopefully it will sway Mullins towards running it here!

Even the BHA are doing a preview....

CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL PREVIEW – THE CHASES / 08 MAR 16

The BHA’s Chase Handicappers preview the Championship races over Fences at this year’s Cheltenham Festival.

GOLD CUP

So far this season, the best performances at 3m+ have come from Cue Card (176) and Vautour (176), however the big question is, can those two replicate that level when faced with the unique demands of the course at Cheltenham?Writes Phil Smith.

Don Cossack has performed to 170 this season, although he still retains his rating of 175 from 2014/15. However he does appear to be a more certain stayer than Vautour.

Smad Place (169) has been a revelation since becoming a front-runner but there have been few all the way winners of the Gold Cup for all Coneygree triumphed from the front last year. Djakadam (168) looked to have bags of potential last season but so far events have conspired to prevent him from delivering this year. Don Poli (166) does nothing but stay and he will be keeping on when some of the classier animals have cried enough.

The same came be said for Carlingford Lough (164), who needs to show he is as effective away from Leopardstown. Finally there is Road To Riches (165), who disappointed last time but is a certain stayer from last year’s race.

Overall lots to anticipate, but nothing as yet has shown itself to be better than last year’s winner, Coneygree.

BETWAY QUEEN MOTHER CHAMPION CHASE

This year’s Champion Chase has the distinction of having three previous winners set to do battle, but it’s last season’s Champion 2m novice who heads the market, writes Graeme Smith.

Un de Sceaux has crashed out of two of his seven starts over fences so far, but he’s been an impressive winner of the other five and was 8lb clear in the 2m Novice division last season when an outstanding winner of the Arkle – his 168 figure is the second highest performance in that race in well over a decade (Sprinter Sacre ran to 169). Any doubts about how he’d fare in open company were laid to rest when he stretched five lengths clear of Sire de Grugy in Ascot’s Clarence House in January, and that 172 performance is the best we’ve seen at the trip this season by my reckoning.

I don’t feel Sire de Grugy quite ran to his season-best that day, appearing to tire more than might have been expected after the last. He’d run to 169 when beating Special Tiara (168) in the Tingle Creek, and actually got to 172 himself when Champion in 2014.

That, of course, pales into insignificance when compared to Sprinter Sacre’s peak – his 188 from 2013 marks him down as the second best NH horse this century after Kauto Star. His problems have been well documented, but his followers will be clinging not only to this headline figure but also the fact he’s unbeaten in two starts this time around. An imperious performance on his return at Cheltenham has been tempered slightly by how the beaten horses have fared subsequently and that now rates at 170, which is also the figure he achieved when having to dig deep to overhaul Sire de Grugy at Kempton.

Last year’s winner Dodging Bullets may well have taken advantage of a division that lacked a superstar, and having ended the season on 171 he’s now down to 168. He’ll have to come on plenty from the 153 he ran to in defeat on his return, but the angle is there.

If Vautour turns up he may well start favourite – he’d be the pick on ratings at 176 – but his sights seem to be set elsewhere. Felix Yonger could well be the Willie Mullins second string. He’s won six of his last seven starts but would surely need to do more than his current figure of 162.

RYANAIR CHASE

Decisions on where some of the top chasers run at the Festival are often fluid, and particularly so when it comes to the Ryanair, writes Mark Olley. The top Irish stables in particular have several options and it’s very hard to pinpoint the likely field for the 2m5f highlight at this stage.

Uxizandre (169) won the race in 2015 and the average rating of the winner over the past five seasons is 168.

The best 2m4f performance of the season so far was Silviniaco Conti’s (169) demolition of Dynaste in the Grade 1 Ascot Chase late last month. Djakadam and Don Cossack have recorded performances of 168 (their handicap ratings are higher), but they are two of the front three in the Gold Cup betting and Don Cossack is the only one of the three mentioned to hold a Ryanair entry.

Al Ferof has an official rating of 165. He was a couple of lengths in front of Ptit Zig (162) when the latter fell at the last in the Grade 2 Peterborough Chase at Huntingdon in December and was far from disgraced over 3m in the King George on his sole subsequent run. Dan Skelton’s gelding missed Cheltenham last year and was fifth in the Ryanair back in 2014 when he was struck-into during the race.

Road To Riches has also recorded a performance of 165 over 2m4f this season (has an official rating of 168), dominating a Grade 2 at Clonmel in November. Third in last season’s Gold Cup, he’s another whose choice of engagement is far from certain, but he’d likely be a major contender if choosing the Ryanair option.

Smashing (159), Vroum Vroum Mag (154, but gets a 7lb mares’ allowance) and Valseur Lido (164) have all shown a level of form to be involved if this is their chosen race, particularly as I don’t think any of them have yet reached their peak.

As in the Champion Chase, the race will take a very different complexion if the 176-rated Vautour turns up, but recent quotes from his connections suggest he could be ‘going for Gold’.

JLT GOLDEN MILLER CHASE

I am really looking forward to the JLT Golden Miller Novice Chase as there are, as usual, several exciting novices around, writes Mark Olley.

It’s hard to see any of them matching Vautour’s exceptional performance of 171 from last year, but the five year average winning rating of 162 looks achievable.

Of the entries, No More Heroes has achieved most so far. We have a figure of 159 for his two small-field Leopardstown wins, but he is much more likely to stick to 3m and head for the RSA.

More of That and Otago Trail just have the pick of the 2m4f form. It is hard to pin down a figure for More of That’s comfortable thirteen length defeat of Sametegal at Cheltenham in December. I have pencilled in a rating of 154, but that could be higher on both More of That’s World Hurdle success and Sametegal’s Newbury effort from last weekend.

We also have Otago Trail rated 154 for his wide margin handicap win at Chepstow in early January. He never travelled when disappointing at Haydock later that month but clearly has serious ability. The fact he’s unproven on decent ground would be a concern, though.

Bristol de Mai has really caught the eye in three starts since stepped up to 2m4f, culminating in an impressive win in the Grade 1 Scilly Isles Chase at Sandown last month. His rating of 153 has him there with the best Novices and I would be amazed if there isn’t plenty more to come from Nigel Twiston-Davies’ likeable gelding.

Just behind we have Three Musketeers, Shaneshill, Vaniteux, Black Hercules (all 152) and Outlander (151) and there looks great strength in depth to this race.

RACING POST ARKLE CHALLENGE TROPHY

Douvan got the party started for Team Mullins last year when justifying hot favouritism in the Supreme and he’s going to be odds on this time around when returning for the Arkle, writes Graeme Smith. It’s all looked so easy for him in three unbeaten starts over fences, and while conditions at Cheltenham are likely to put more pressure on his jumping the truth is that he’s looked polished so far. His form to date has been discussed with the Irish handicapper and he’ll be credited with a rating of 161 going into the race.

The best of the British Novices at this stage is Ar Mad at 155, but he’s out for the season and that leaves the Gordon Elliott-trained The Game Changer as Douvan’s nearest rival on my figures alone. He’s also 155 and there’s a fair dollop of subjectivity in that as it’s all come fairly easy to him so far. Good ground would make for a home game for him, but his last two wins have come at 2m2f and 2m4f, and it’s not easy to know how much more he’ll find under pressure.

Clear second favourite behind Douvan in the market is Vaniteux. He’s on 152 and has found only Ar Mad too good in his three starts over fences (he failed by a neck in receipt of 2lb), and that result might have been different had he met the last on a better stride. Vaniteux has Festival form, having been third to Vautour in the Supreme Novices’ Hurdle, and he also recorded his best performance at Prestbury Park when second in the Greatwood Hurdle later in 2014.

Henry de Bromhead’s Sizing John was third to Douvan in last year’s Supreme and looks set to renew rivalry. He’d impressed when winning his first two starts over fences and rates at 150, but will have to jump better than he did against his old rival last time. Similar comments apply to L’Ami Serge’s jumping. Three lengths further back from Sizing John in last year’s Supreme, he looked good in a couple of ordinary novices when starting out over fences (147) but put in a very shoddy round when turned over at 5/1-on in the Kingmaker at Warwick.

Others worthy of a mention include Shaneshill, who was second in Douvan’s Supreme and rates at 152 on the form he showed prior to flopping behind Vaniteux at Doncaster, though he has several other options. Arzal is 151, and while he’s seen the back end of Vaniteux twice he goes enthusiastically and is getting closer. The industrious Garde La Victoire has room to improve on his figures of 151 if able to jump more fluently. And Alisier d’Irlande (148), Ttebbob (150) and Pain Au Chocolat (145) have given quite a sight at various stages when set alight in front.

Finally there is Road To Riches (165), who disappointed last time

makes me laugh when i read things like this from someone who should know better..no mention of how he went stupid fractions that wasted other on pace hoss by 40 lengths,,pegasus wouldn't have won that race at that pace

for the lazy amongst you here's the text...

THE CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL 2016 / 23 MAR 16

The best four days of the year bar none – that’s a given. But what’s the significance of what happened on the undulations of Prestbury Park? Here’s our team with their update.

THE DON

A terrific performance from Don Cossack (177) in the Timico Gold Cup took him to the top of the current Anglo-Irish Jumps Classifications, writes Phil Smith. Owing to the ease of victory I called the four-and-a-half-length margin to Djakadam 7lb, with that one replicating his 170 performance from last year’s race. In turn he was seventeen lengths in front of Irish Cavalier (153) so the form has a solid look to it.
This makes him an above average top staying chaser. Behind Kauto Star, Denman, Imperial Commander, Long Run and Bobs Worth but in front of Looks Like Trouble, See More Business, First Gold, Florida Pearl, Best Mate, Kicking King, Silviniaco Conti and the same owner’s War of Attrition (173). He is also 2lb clear of his own mark of 175 set last season.

Un Temps Pour Tout (159) took himself to the top of the 3m novice chase category by virtue of a convincing victory in the Ultima Handicap, clearly benefitting from the step back up in trip. Cause of Causes (155) put himself 13lb well in for the Crabbie’s Grand National when winning the Kim Muir impressively but is only 50/50 to get a run. More will be learned from the latest forfeit stage (Tuesday 22nd March).

BHA top rated horses won nine of the eighteen non-handicaps. All of our figures are published in the race card and included Any Currency, the 11/1 winner of the Glenfarclas Cross Country Chase, run for the first time as a non-handicap.

GIRL POWER

Any running of the Stan James Champion Hurdle is the centrepiece of the 2m hurdlers’ season and while 2016 might not have been the greatest renewals those that lined up still delivered a fine race, writes David Dickinson.

In Faugheen’s absence, it fell to his stable-companion Annie Power to carry the day and her slick jumping meant there were very few worries as she strode clear from the last. She received a 7lb mares’ allowance from both second and third, and I have rated all three on 162. If agreed for the Anglo- Irish Classifications at the end of the season, this would rank Annie Power as an about average Champion Hurdle winner once her sex allowance is taken into account.

To put the 162 ratings accorded My Tent or Yours and Nichols Canyon into context, a look at previous Champion Hurdle winners since the inception of the Classifications shows that Istabraq on 176 is the highest rated Champion Hurdle winner and Hors La Loi III on 164 is the lowest. This would suggest neither of the placed horses would have won even the weakest running of the race.

As I said in the Betfair Hurdle blog, this has been a stellar season for the 2m novices and the Sky Bet Supreme Novices’ Hurdle came right up to scratch, even if the Willie Mullins team was mighty hard to predict, with the Tolworth winner Yorkhill waiting for the Neptune.

The much vaunted Min ran a fine race for the yard despite a couple of jumping errors but he was simply not quite good enough to deal with the form pick Altior, who simply doesn’t seem able to drop the bit and fairly tanked down to the start. The fact he still has so much to offer at the end of his races is most impressive, and with the Henderson yard also having the third Buveur d’Air this was the start of a memorable week for the stable.

I went into the race with Tombstone and Charbel rated 147 and with just a head between them in fourth and fifth, I used this to rate Altior 160.

Limini ran away with the inaugural Trull House Stud Dawn Run Mares’ Novice’ Hurdle. She earned a rating of 151, which makes her Min’s superior once her sex allowance is taken into account – no wonder there was such stable confidence behind her.

Such has been the topsy turvy world of juvenile hurdling this winter, the JCB Triumph Hurdle fell to a horse who had finished outside the first three on his latest outing AND he started favourite! Ivanovich Gorbatov lived up to his reputation, with the better ground seemingly suiting this diminutive but smart recruit from the Flat. His rating of 154 sets him at the head of his generation but no more than an average winner of the race.

Best of the home team was Leoncavallo, who gained the last of his five wins in the listed Wensleydale Hurdle at Wetherby at the end of October.

The fact juvenile hurdling is changing is shown by the finish of the Fred Winter, a good one with a three way photo and two other promising challengers falling at the last. To qualify for the handicap, those five horses had collectively run seven times in Britain, twice in Ireland and fourteen times in France.

The first horse home with purely British form was the hitherto-unbeaten Doubly Clever, who completed his hat-trick of wins at Newton Abbot on 22nd August. Does this say something about the wetness of last winter or does it question the strength of our winter juvenile form?

SPRINTER SOARS ONCE MORE

While we’re told the neutrals are supporting Leicester City there’ll have been a fair few who took ten minutes off to shout Sprinter Sacre home in Wednesday’s Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase, writes Graeme Smith.

It’s rare that a clash between three former champions can be overshadowed in the build up to the extent it was with the Champion Chase was this year, but even though the talk was all about the coronation of the pretender Un de Sceaux The Black Aeroplane wasn’t having any of it.
In a strongly-run race that was always likely to sort the men from the boys, it was all change as Sprinter Sacre moved up to and straight past the pace-setting Un de Sceaux and Special Tiara going down the hill, storming six and a half lengths clear after flying the last before coming back to them a shade up the hill.

Whether he was tiring, idling or something else, I’m strongly of the view the six-and-a-half-length margin was the best measure of Sprinter Sacre’s superiority on the day and rounded that up to 7lb. He now tops the division at 175, a 5lb improvement on his pre-race figure. We all know that’s shy of his career-defining 188 performances from the spring of 2013 but let’s not quibble!

Special Tiara is a likeable gelding and he retains his rating of 168, which he achieved when winning last spring’s Celebration Chase as well as when finishing second in the Tingle Creek and third here. He was probably unlucky not to hold on to second, having been edged out only on the nod.

Un de Sceaux’s best performance comes from the Clarence House in January where he ran to 172, and I’m still happy with that figure for all he measured up only to 168 here. His connections were of the opinion a more testing surface would have seen him in a better light. Even if that does prove the case, he’s got to improve again at Punchestown if he’s to finish the season on top.

The only notable improver further down the field was God’s Own in fourth. He’d been runner-up in Grade 1 novices at both Cheltenham and Aintree last spring, and his Arkle form behind Un de Sceaux and in front of several other improvers certainly supports this 2lb increase from his previous best of 160.

So what about the influx of talent for next season from the current novice crop? Surely it’s all about Douvan.

He frightened off most of the opposition in the Arkle and dismissed those who dared turn up. The way he galloped and jumped was poetry in motion for the most part, and he’d seen Vaniteux off when that one crashed out two fences from home and all but took The Game Changer out of things in the process.

I’ve no doubt Douvan is a top-class prospect, but the gallop he set meant they didn’t really race until after the third last and as such he was unable to hand out the beatings he might otherwise have done. He beat Sizing John seven lengths when the pair were first and third in last year’s Supreme and it was the same margin between them again, albeit with Sizing John’s rider putting up 1lb overweight when he returned to weigh in. Sizing John remains on the 151 he’s been rated for more than a year, and Douvan works out as 157+, with the + denoting that he’d have won more easily under different circumstances – he travelled much more easily than anything else turning in. Douvan’s pre-race rating was 161, which is what he’d been given as a hurdler in last season’s Classification, and that’s where he’ll stay for the time being. Here’s hoping he shows us more at Punchestown.

It was a case of estimating where Vaniteux and The Game Changer would have finished. I’ve kept Vaniteux on 152, which filters into this result two lengths ahead of Sizing John (remembering the 1lb overweight) – about where he was when he fell. The Game Changer was 155 pre-race but that came from small-field races in Ireland. He’d just jumped upsides Sizing John when hampered, and while there’s a fair dollop of estimation here I felt a reducing his figure to 151 (behind Vaniteux) was fair for the time being.

TIZZ THE SEASON

What an incredible performance from Thistlecrack in The World Hurdle, writes Martin Greenwood. I’d been one of plenty to wax lyrical about his chances leading up to the race, and by golly he was as impressive as one could have wished for.

There was no messing about and one by one they dropped away, including big Festival winners from 2015, Cole Harden and Whisper, who have been very disappointing this season. Even if they were at their very best it would be hard to imagine them holding a candle to Thistlecrack, who simply powered clear from Alpha des Obeaux (now 165), who in turn demolished the rest of the field and is a good quality stayer in his own right after this.

Now to the crux of the matter, just how good is Thistlecrack? Since the start of the Anglo-Irish Classification in 1999/2000, before my time at the BHB/BHA, the best staying hurdlers have ranged from 163 to 174 and included the likes of Baracouda (172), Inglis Drever (172) and the mighty Big Bucks (174 on 5 occasions, though ironically he was usually less impressive in the World Hurdle than on other courses). Where do I fit Thistlecrack into this list of hurdling titans?

The five-year standards are suggesting an average of 173 and a median of 171 for the winner, though that doesn’t include any extra added for ease of victory, and a time comparison with the Pertemps Handicap suggests a higher figure of 178. Of course the season is far from over with Aintree and Punchestown looming, so any short term decision can be reviewed after those Festivals and at our annual Anglo-Irish meeting in early May. I was so visually impressed with Thistlecrack that I feel he deserves to be above both Baracouda and Inglis Drever, but have not yet propelled him beyond Big Bucks, whom I am happy to share the 174.

What about potential rivals for Thistlecrack in 2016/17? The Neptune Investment Management Baring Bingham Novices’ Hurdle featured two of the best pre-Festival novices of the season in Yanworth (158) and Yorkhill (156), and in a messy sort of race, they both came out of it with their lofty reputations more or less intact. With the pace steadying there was a host of chances two out, and I am sure this is the main reason why the pair pulled only seven lengths clear of the third. While Yorkhill, whose Tolworth Hurdle win at Sandown had been well advertised by subsequent efforts of those he beat, got a dream run on the inner and quickened into a race-winning lead, Yanworth, who raced wide throughout and made a mistake three out, was forced even wider turning in and found himself around four lengths down at the last. A combination of Yorkhill dossing and Yanworth’s stamina kicking in reduced that margin to under two lengths at the line. The five-year standards suggest an average winner of 152, and with Its’afreebee and Welsh Shadow both posting a personal best, it is hard to get the overall standard of the race much higher at this point. Given the reasons explained above however, I am keen to suggest the front two are better than the official margin, and Yorkhill remains on 156. Given Yanworth can be possibly counted a bit unlucky not to have made more of a fist of it, I have pulled him back a couple to share the same rating in the short term. However it would be wrong of me to suggest he would have won if everything fell into place.

The Albert Bartlett Spa Novices’ Hurdle two days later didn’t feature quite the quality of the Neptune but, nevertheless, it takes a tough sort to come out on top in a stamina-sapping event and in Unowhatimeanharry they don’t come much tougher. I had mentioned in my pre-Festival blog that he was my top rated staying novice of the season (152) and was amazed when he was as high as 20/1 in the week leading up to the race. His price probably reflected the fact that most of his wins ‘only’ came in handicap company, but in my experience good quality handicap form is often as solid as it gets, and the way he walloped a decent field in a Pertemps qualifier at Exeter off 138 seemed to me a high-class effort for a novice. It’s not as though there was any other outstanding candidates in the field, with Barters Hill (150) heading the rest on ratings.

Unowhatimeanharry is always held up and well handled by Noel Fehily, and those tactics were well suited to the way the race panned out at Cheltenham. There was no let up from the pacesetters, which included Barters Hill and Champers On Ice (personal best of 148), both of whom did very well in the circumstances. However Fehily was quietly stalking the pace. Even though he wasn’t swinging away on the bridle you just knew he would find plenty, a trait he had shown all season, and sure enough he doggedly fought off the attentions of the fast-finishing Fagan (now 149), who also looks a thorough stayer. An average winner of this race is around the 150 mark, and this year’s renewal looks about right based on the winner performing to 151, though his pre-race rating remains, as does that of Barters Hill.

A quick note on my two handicaps, which both went to Irish-trained horses. The Coral Cup was a bunched finish but in truth the ex-British-trained Diamond King was impressive, extracting himself from a pocket with a good turn of foot and value more than the winning distance. His rating is now 158 from 149. There was much more fortune for the Irish in the Pertemps, because surely If In Doubt would have won but for being hampered and stumbling, presenting the prize to Mall Dini, who is now 143 from 139.

TOUR DE FORCE

The Grade 1 Ryanair Festival Trophy was a real puzzle in the days/weeks leading up to the race but that all changed when Vautour was rerouted, writes Mark Olley. From being a wide open race, we now had an odds-on favourite who was 11lb clear of his rivals on BHA official ratings. Plenty has been written about the circumstances of the above, but from my point of view I was delighted to see a real star in the race.
There were quotes prior to the race that Vautour was only 90% right, but given what I watched in the race itself I can’t believe that was true. When he landed the Golden Miller Novice at the meeting last year it was a performance that really took my breath away. That didn’t happen this time but he was certainly impressive in dismantling a smart field. Last year he beat Valseur Lido by fifteen lengths, this year it wasn’t quite so impressive at six lengths, albeit value for further.

The race was not easy to level from a ratings point of view with horses like Gilgamboa (156) and Taquin du Seuil (157) finishing close to the placed horses, but after a discussion with the Irish Head Handicapper Noel O’Brien (the first three finishers were all Irish trained) we came up with the following:

Valseur Lido was a likely looking winner when unseating at the last at Leopardstown last month and we have him repeating that provisional figure of 162. We have the same 162 figure for Road To Riches, although his official would be slightly higher with last season’s form in mind.

Al Ferof came into the race rated 165, but that is a figure the eleven-year-old has carried over from last season. We have him running to 162 when winning the Grade 2 Peterborough Chase by a wide margin at Huntingdon in December and that will be his new rating.

Gilgamboa moves up 3lb to a new rating of 159.

The above figures fit in pretty well with the race standards for the placed horses – 163 for the second and 162 for the third.

All of the above means a figure of 173 for Vautour, after calling the six length winning margin 11lb. This is 3lb below the figure he achieved when a thrilling second to Cue Card in the King George at Christmas, but then Cue Card is a stronger rival than any he met here. He also beat Al Ferof by thirteen lengths at Kempton, but just under eight lengths here.

The Grade 1 JLT Golden Miller Novices’ Chase was as open a contest as you care to see. There was only 2lb between the top five rated horses on BHA ratings pre-race and the betting settled on three 4/1 co-favourites.

The front-running Bristol de Mai took them along at a fair pace and although he made some spectacular leaps he also made some errors. L’Ami Serge took it up three from home and for a brief moment before the last looked the likely winner, but he was not as strong a stayer as the first two home and this left Black Hercules to power home from a rallying Bristol de Mai. Both Outlander and Garde La Victoire fell when still in with a chance and I’m sure one, or both, would have played some part in the finish.

From a ratings point of view Black Hercules moves from 152 to 158, while Bristol de Mai is 154, L’Ami Serge 153 (up 5lb from 148) and Three Musketeers unchanged on 152.

Benefficient on 157 is the lowest rated of the past six winners and with Taquin du Seuil (159 in 2014) and Noble Prince (160 in 2011) there is not much to choose between them all. They all certainly fall some way short of the spectacular 171 achieved by Vautour last year.

I know it's only a blog, but surely the BHA has someone who can proof-read these things before they are made public?

The sentence structure and grammar are awful in places.

That aside, there are a number of assessments in there with which I don't agree. (It doesn't have to be "is", by the way, for any pedant out there on the alert :))

IT’S NOT ALL ABOUT THE NATIONAL / 12 APR 16

There’s more to Aintree than just the Grand National and from a host of top-class races there’s plenty for our team discuss. We lead off with the Champion Hurdler.

POWER PLAY

The feature race on day one of the Aintree festival was the Grade 1 Doom Bar Aintree Hurdle run over 2m4f, writesChris Nash. A field of just six went to post but amongst them were the first four from the Champion Hurdle twenty-three days earlier.

Annie Power had won that race by four lengths from My Tent Or Yours, with Nichols Canyon a further head behind in third. She started at odds-on to repeat the feat at Aintree and fully justified her short price with an authoritative display.

The first three were the same as at Cheltenham but the margins were completely different – she won by eighteen lengths and there was a further nine lengths back to third. It would be impossible to believe that either My Tent Or Yours or Nichols Canyon had matched their figures from the Champion Hurdle here but it would probably be fair to assume that Annie Power might have surpassed her Cheltenham effort.

The margins between them at the line make it almost impossible to be definitive, but having run to 162 when winning at Cheltenham I have Annie Power running to 166 here, making it a career best effort – the bare fact that she won a Grade 1 race by eighteen lengths makes this a plausible suggestion. The second and third had recorded figures of 162 at Cheltenham but I have both running lower here with potential excuses – My Tent Or Yours (155) looked a non-stayer over this longer trip and Nichols Canyon (146) was slightly distressed post-race. Obviously Annie Power receives the 7lb mares allowance so in terms of the “pecking order” she slots in behind Faugheen in the 2m division and Thistlecrack in the 3m division but this would rank as the leading 2m4f hurdle performance of this jumps season.

On Saturday the Grade 1 EZ Trader Mersey Novices Hurdle was run over the same 2m4f trip. The favourite for the race was Yorkhill who arrived with a rating of 156 having beaten Yanworth in the Neptune at Cheltenham. He started as the odds-on favourite but had to work harder than that might suggest having refused to settle, idling when he should have been putting the race to bed too. He eventually won by two and a quarter lengths from Le Prezien, with the rock solid Flying Angel a further length and a half back in third.

Flying Angel had won the Imperial Cup at Sandown and been placed in the Martin Pipe Hurdle at Cheltenham – he arrived rated 144 and looks a decent guide to the form. Framing the race around him has Yorkhill running to a figure of 149 but, given his run style through this race, I’m happy he can be rated higher than his bare figure and his post-Cheltenham rating of 156 will remain in place. From what we saw on Saturday it is likely a bigger field, a stronger pace and a later arrival at the front of the race will see Yorkhill in a better light. He remains unbeaten (two bumpers and four hurdle races) and is obviously a horse of great potential. Le Prezien has a nicely progressive profile and this effort equates to another career best – he will be rated 146.

OPTIC NERVE

The Doom Bar Sefton Novices’ Hurdle rarely has the strength in depth of the Albert Bartlett at Cheltenham but the winner is usually on a par, writes Martin Greenwood.

Only the Mullins’ pair of Balko des Flo and Gangster ran in both races, the former doing much the better of them by finishing fourth. He was beaten nearly sixteen lengths, and I have him performing roughly the same in both races.

Another stable companion, Bellshill, fared much better and probably should have won, cruising into the race but crucially let down by his jumping over the last two flights and then idling. This allowed Ballyoptic to maintain his unbeaten record over hurdles, regaining the lead after the runner-up’s antics and staying on very strongly with the aid of the stand rail.

Ballyoptic had won only minor races at Ffos Las and Uttoxeter previously and this represented easily his best effort. His new rating is an up to standard 149, the same as Bellshill (from 146), the pair finishing well clear of the remainder.

The next day saw the mighty Thistlecrack maintain his 100% seasonal record by smashing inferior opponents to bits in the Liverpool Stayers’ Hurdle. Adopting a change of tactics, Thistlecrack made every yard and jumped immaculately before strolling away without coming off the bridle. This result told us nothing new about him in terms of ability but given an injury free year he will surely take all the beating in every staying race he contests next season…..Thistlecrack is certainly a true Champion!

NICKY ENJOYS AINTREE AIR

For the fourth time in five seasons, the Grade 1 Top Novices’ Hurdle went to a member of the Nicky Henderson team who had previously made the frame in Cheltenham’s Supreme, writes David Dickinson.

This year it was the turn of Prestbury third Buveur d’Air to stand in as a late replacement for his stable companion Altior and he battled to a hard earned success over Supreme eighth Petite Mouchoir, who unexpectedly came out best of the Willie Mullins trio with Limini disappointing. I have raised Buveur d’Air’s rating 1lb to 153.

Every once in a while a race comes along that is impossible to assess using the usual principles of handicapping. Step forward Apple’s Jade.

In winning the meeting’s Grade 1 juvenile event, the Betfred Anniversary Hurdle, by no less than forty-one lengths (she was eased down, otherwise it would have been more) she’s set the assessors on both sides of the water, a real poser. There is no right answer and whatever decision we come to will, no doubt, be criticised.

The remaining quintet of finishers raced to the line in competition for the places with just ten lengths separating the five of them. It was easy to see that the Triumph winner Ivanovich Gorbatov failed to reproduce his Cheltenham running on the slower ground but what of the other four, who all went into Thursday’s race with form rateable at or very close to 140.

For instance, taking the run of Fred Winter-winner Diego du Charmil at face value (forty-six lengths behind Apple’s Jade giving her the sex allowance of 7lb) would give Apple’s Jade a rating of 179, using our usual 1lb a length in 2m races. This is clearly preposterous, good as Apple’s Jade surely is.

There were only two hurdle races on the Thursday when the track was officially slower than the chase course. It did appear to me that this race was run at such a tempo that stamina in the conditions became the only issue.

I went back to the races won by Annie Power and Apple’s Jade the year before, then won by Jezki and All Yours. The time comparison suggests that Apple’s Jade is roughly three seconds quicker than All Yours, carrying 7lb less. This would get her a figure around 153.

This is possible historically given that the outstanding juveniles of recent years are Katchit 159 and Our Conor 161. Given the sex allowance, this would place Apple’s Jade between the two.
Happily it appears very likely that she will reappear at Punchestown, where hopefully a more sensibly run race might give us a more reliable guide.

For instance, taking the run of Fred Winter-winner Diego du Charmil at face value (forty-six lengths behind Apple’s Jade giving her the sex allowance of 7lb) would give Apple’s Jade a rating of 179, using our usual 1lb a length in 2m races. This is clearly preposterous, good as Apple’s Jade surely is.

There were only two hurdle races on the Thursday when the track was officially slower than the chase course. It did appear to me that this race was run at such a tempo that stamina in the conditions became the only issue.

I went back to the races won by Annie Power and Apple’s Jade the year before, then won by Jezki and All Yours. The time comparison suggests that Apple’s Jade is roughly three seconds quicker than All Yours, carrying 7lb less. This would get her a figure around 153.

This is possible historically given that the outstanding juveniles of recent years are Katchit 159 and Our Conor 161. Given the sex allowance, this would place Apple’s Jade between the two.
Happily it appears very likely that she will reappear at Punchestown, where hopefully a more sensibly run race might give us a more reliable guide.

Interesting that two different approaches can arrive at similar conclusions.

From my own review:
Apples Jade was visually deeply impressive in the juvenile hurdle but on the clock was 20lbs slower than Annie Power before any wfa consideration. With no other hurdle race with which to make any meaningful comparison I’m working on the assumption that everything bar the two winners simply failed to turn up. Assuming Annie Power ran to her previous career best [on my figures] of 165, it puts Apple’s Jade on 145 plus 7 for wfa. It means a male opponent would need to be 160+ to beat her.

CLASSIC CREDENTIALS / 19 APR 16

There was something for everyone last week with the revamped three-day Craven meeting kicking off a big week of classic trials, and the Scottish Grand National fixture for those who prefer their jumping. This week’s bulletin is mainly Flat driven, but there’s an overall round-up from Ayr tagged on.

WEATHERING THE STORM

You have to go back to 2004 and Haafhd to find the last horse to follow up victory in the Novae Bloodstock Insurance Craven Stakes with success in the 2000 Guineas but Ed Walker’s Stormy Antarctic put himself firmly on course for a crack the season’s first Classic with a convincing success at Newmarket on Thursday, writes Dominic Gardiner-Hill.

Rated 112 at the end of his juvenile career, he went into the race 2lb clear of hot favourite Foundation and duly confirmed that superiority with a comfortable three-and-a-half-length beating of that rival.

I have long since learnt to treat “trials” form with a degree of caution and, whilst mathematically I could have gone higher, I have moved Stormy Antarctic up to a new mark of 114. Using runner-up Foundation (pre-race 110), third-placed Shogun (108) or fourth-placed Tony Curtis (106) as a guide would give a figure at least 1lb higher. My reasons for taking a more reserved view include the fact the race was run in driving rain following closely on the heels of a thunder storm, the ground was getting softer by the minute and there’s always a doubt about relative fitness levels at this point in the season.

In terms of recent winning performances in the Craven, this places him some way behind top quality milers Toronado (121 in 2013) and Haafhd (120) but in advance of last year’s winner Kool Kompany (110), Adagio (110 in 2007), Killybegs (109 in 2006), Democratic Deficit (109 in 2005) and Native Khan (108 in 2011) – whilst his performance is considered on a par with Trumpet Major’s 114 in 2012.

It remains to be seen if he will prove as effective on a quicker surface, but if he can reproduce or improve on Thursday’s effort come April 30[SUP]th[/SUP] he has every chance of making the frame, as on nine occasions since the turn of the century a performance of 114 has been good enough to grab a place in the first three!

ON TRIAL

Last year the two-year-old champions were definitely above average, writes Matthew Tester. Air Force Blue was top colt at 124 and Minding top filly at 120, and each is favourite for their respective Guineas. So did the classic trials change anything?

Ibn Malik’s smooth win in the CSP European Free Handicap paid a real compliment to Emotionless, who beat him easily in the Champagne Stakes last year before flopping in the Dewhurst when found to be suffering from a bone chip in his knee. Ibn Malik goes up 5lb to 112 but is not in the Guineas.

Tasleet won the Greenham, run at Chelmsford, but I’m not sure that form will have much of a bearing on the 2000 Guineas. His figure remains at 110.

The filly Nathra was 110 before the Lanwades Stud Nell Gwyn and had only to run to that level to win. She has four and a half lengths to find with Minding from last year’s Fillies’ Mile.

In the Fred Darling Stakes Marenko did not have to improve on her 105 to win once you accept that Besharah and Katie’s Diamond failed to live up to their best two-year-old form. My impression last year was that Minding was particularly suited to easy ground. It is possible that she would not produce a 120 performance on quick ground but only one horse is rated within 10lb of her.

Lumiere is second favourite and rated 116 last year from her form at 6f. She has a ton of speed but her pedigree suggests 1m this year could be okay. The 4lb difference between Minding and Lumiere over 1m equates to about two lengths, but on decent ground there are six lengths to a second so we are only talking about one third of a second to bridge the gap. My feeling is that Minding will have to run to her best; but that the classic trials themselves did not much change the picture we had a week ago.

HAPPY MEMORIES

Even though the main focus on the Flat this past week has been the classic trials the domestic sprinting demesne also stepped up a gear, with the division’s first pattern race of this season in Britain in the shape of the Group 3 6f Connaught Access Flooring Abernant Stakes, writes Stewart Copeland.

Looking at the race beforehand, the eleven-strong field boasted plenty of strength in depth for the grade of race, with the field headed on the ratings by the four-year-old gelding Magical Memory, trained by Charles Hills. A most progressive and fruitful campaign last year, which included a prestigious handicap success in the Stewards’ Cup at Goodwood, culminated with an excellent third to Twilight Son in the Group 1 Sprint Cup at Haydock, earning him his current rating of 114.

Soon travelling strongly just behind the pace, Magical Memory could be called the winner some way out, quickening clear a furlong out before tiring a shade late on to win by a neck and the same from fellow four-year-olds Tupi and Mattmu.

In terms of strength in depth, since the Abernant became a Group 3 race in 2013 the average rating of the first four home has been 105. However this year’s renewal based on the pre-race ratings of the four came out at 110/111. Taking that in to account, I eventually settled on a figure of 110 for Magical Memory, though a case could be made for a shade higher. Even though this is slightly below the level he achieved at Haydock the taking style of his win suggests he’s every bit as good as last year, and given his overall progressive profile there may even be more to come.

As for the placed horses, Tupi has been campaigned over 7f/1m prior to this but coped fine with the drop in trip, running to a figure of 109, a shade below his peak figure of 111 last year. On the pick of his form the 113-rated Mattmu looked the main danger to Magical Memory and he ran as if retaining all his ability with a highly creditable third, returning a figure of 108. No doubt he will attempt to go one better in next month’s Duke of York Stakes on the Knavesmire after finishing runner-up last year. That race also seems on the agenda for Magical Memory, and looking at a strong initial entry that includes the first two from the Sprint Cup (Twilight Son and Strath Burn) and the Nunthorpe heroine Mecca’s Angel, it’s a race eagerly anticipated already.

FORM WORTH FOLLOWING

The victory of Vicente in Saturday’s Coral Scottish Grand National was yet another piece of form which confirmed the strength of the National Hunt Chase at Cheltenham, writes Phil Smith. In a month since that race, Native River has come out and won a Grade 1 at Aintree, Vicente and Definitly Red have both won good-quality handicaps at Ayr and Waldorf Salad has also won a handicap at Chepstow.

As a result I have raised the level of the National Hunt Chase by 3lb so that Minella Rocco (155) keeps a higher rating than Native River (154) and Vicente (151).

On Friday at Ayr there were 6 handicaps. They were 0-120, 0-130, 0-130, 0-130, 0-145 and an open handicap. Northern and Scottish trained horses won 5 out of the 6 contests from 31 runners at a strike rate of 16%. The rest of the country and Ireland won 1 race from 16 runners at a strike rate of 6%.

On Saturday there were also 6 handicaps. They were 0-130, 0-145, 0-150 and three open handicaps. Clearly contests for a much higher calibre of horse. Northern and Scottish trained horses won none of them from 21 runners. The rest of Britain and Ireland won all 6 from 53 runners.

Over the two days of the meeting, Scotland and the North won 5 handicaps from 52 runners at a strike rate of 9.6%. The rest of Britain and Ireland won 7 handicaps from 69 runners at a strike rate of 10.1%. Pretty close to parity in strike rate but a world of difference in quality.

"On Friday at Ayr there were 6 handicaps... On Saturday there were also 6 handicaps".

What lousy programming.

I see the Irish handicapper has put Rule Of The World up by 8lbs

Must have had a rethink, put him up a further 2lbs. Although he was rated 3lbs lower by the Irish handicapper than his rating in Britain when he ran in National, we don't know what his new rating is in Britain as it's a secret.

Back