The Two Mile Chase thread

Ignore those behind and think about it like this..when Dodging Bullet won..its as good if not better than what the current crop are capable of now..and sadly i have to include your old friend SS in that. That DB performance is bettered by UDS..who lets be honest..won it with more ease than DB.

The problem i have this year with such as SDG..is that twice now..Ar Mad has beaten him in two races at every stage in both races..and Ar Maddid the same with SS+SDG at xmas.......yes Ar Mad is smart..but a top 2 mile chaser shouldn't be beat at every point in a race by a novice. ...SDG has beaten the old guard at sandown...of which now he seems about on a par with SS when you look at them at xmas...then SDG gets beaten comfy by UDS..suggesting to me that UDS is now the new guard

if you watch SDG at Ascot..and igonre UDS..he still shows that batting quality from 2 out..he just met a better hoss on the day

you don't rate that form because of TF being there..but that hoss improves a stone each time it runs.

Last edited:
Ignore those behind and think about it like this..when Dodging Bullet won..its as good if not better than what the current crop are capable of now..and sadly i have to include your old friend SS in that. That DB performance is bettered by UDS..who lets be honest..won it with more ease than DB.

The problem i have this year with such as SDG..is that twice now..Ar Mad has beaten him in two races at every stage in both races..and Ar Maddid the same with SS+SDG at xmas.......yes Ar Mad is smart..but a top 2 mile chaser shouldn't be beat at every point in a race by a novice. ...SDG has beaten the old guard at sandown...of which now he seems about on a par with SS when you look at them at xmas...then SDG gets beaten comfy by UDS..suggesting to me that UDS is now the new guard

if you watch SDG at Ascot..and igonre UDS..he still shows that batting quality from 2 out..he just met a better hoss on the day

you don't rate that form because of TF being there..but that hoss improves a stone each time it runs.

Only thing I would question about Kempton is was Sprinter Sacre 100%? Nicky did say he was working back from the QMCC and he said did very little in the 4 weeks between races which was reflected in the betting at Kempton when he actually drifted in comparison to Cheltenham when there was small fortunes for the horse.

Not for one minute do I think he's the horse he was but there's still a lot more ability there than SDG has.

It would appear that while some are using the collateral form that says there's nothing between SS and SDG the betting boo hoos that big time with SDG being 3 times the price of Sprinter in most books.

However if he is to beat UDS his normal Cheltenham tactic of injecting pace 4 out won't be enough imo. He'd definitely put distance between himself and UDS but I reckon if the shloer chase performance is anything to go by UDS would come back at him and beat him.

I reckon Nico will be told to hold on to Sprinter for as long as possible and hit the front is he can between the last 2 fences.

For me he'll have more chance doing that than trying to pretend he's the SS of old

Special Tiara will be 2nd but UDS wins easy as long as he doesn't tip up. DB not in this class. SDG and SS gone.

I have Dodging Bullets as the value in the race. At 12/1 1/4 first 3 I have included him in quite a few e/way multiplies. Only a 8 year old he has beat all the usual old brigade last year , his injury was pretty minor and I have choose to ignore his comeback run as I believe it was nothing more than a good race course gallop by Nicholls. That said UDS will most likely winner, the only one to beat him is himself. I have never warmed to him (don't know why) and maybe thats why I can't back him at odds on. Out of all the Mullins hot pots I believe he is the most vulnerable.

If UDS shows them all a clean pair of heels you want to be backing something that will be running on at the finish like Dodging Bullets without UDS.

Have to agree with Frontrunner Digger cant see tow front runners ruling the roost all the way round......could be a track record for sure if they did and something has got to give in that scenario.

What about Somersby each way ?

He brings his A game here every year and will prefer the likely quicker going.

One of the few horses to face Master Minded and is still to the good.

I love these perennials, hats off to them, their heart is beating for this week of weeks as well as we are.!

Forgive Dodging Bullets his comeback run,he's overpriced on everything he's done last season,especially if UDS makes a mistake or two

There is quite a large similarity between the way the careers of Sire De Grugy and Dodging Bullets have panned out, and I expect that Dodging Bullets will run in a similar fashion trying to defend his crown this year as SDG did defending his last year.

What about Somersby each way ?

He brings his A game here every year and will prefer the likely quicker going.

One of the few horses to face Master Minded and is still to the good.

I love these perennials, hats off to them, their heart is beating for this week of weeks as well as we are.!

god he is some horse. What fun he would of been to own

If it's the Gold cup or nowhere for Vautour why is he still left in the QM after declarations today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's the Gold cup or nowhere for Vautour why is he still left in the QM after declarations today?

Its a precaution in case something happens UDS , then vautour can run and win this before going on to win the Gold Cup:lol:

Last edited:
Well at least he'll stay the first part of that effort. [emoji3]

Last edited:
I wonder what Sprinter's price would have been if he came here straight from the Shloer Chase and had not run at Kempton ?

You can forget Kempton Nicky wouldn't have him as fit as he was for the Shloer Chase which was the real test. Once they knew he was back they would not push him and while fit at Kempton he would have left plenty to work on. SDG was 110% fit at kempton according to Moore and you'd have to wonder after a hard race if he was at his best......To suggest his stable companion had improved a stone is clutching at straws and highly unlikely plus Sire De Grugy has 2 ways of running these days.

However we should also have a go at Sprinter Sacre performance in the Shloer Chase and see what holes we can knock in that.

From 4 out that day suddenly Sprinter looked as good as ever and the burst of speed he showed between the 4th last and the 3rd last was unmatchable. He actually covered that part of the race faster than he had in the QMCC he won. He was still ahead of himself after the 3rd last but then slowed drastically approaching the second last....He then picked up after jumping the last and came up the hill within a length of what he did in the QMCC.

That performance was good enough to beat Un De Sceaux and by some way IMO but there's one little thing we have to take into consideration..........10lbs. He only carried 11 stone in the Shloer.

On an optimistic note I don't think 10lbs would slow Sprinter down as much as it would a lesser animal. Sure it will slow him down some but how much fitter does Nicky have him now??

I reckon Un De Sceaux will have to improve on anything he has done to date. He certainly won't outjump Sprinter and he will have to bottom out to get him off his back from the top of the hill.

I reckon Sprinter slowing down after the 3rd last in the Shloer was Nico easing off and disappointing the horse a bit. He wasn't tired he just got unbalanced or he wouldn't have come up the hill the way he did after the last.

If Nico makes plenty use of him and gets him standing off his fences he'll jump UDS into the ground and leave him standing like he has done to everything else when he's at his best and the vibes are all good.

Sprinter was a monster in the past but
on form shown by him in the last 2 seasons, he is not better than a 170 horse.

If Un Des sceaux jumps the fences he wins.

Ya...I'll be a bag of nerves 'til about 2m6 or 7. He'll travel sublimely up to that. I'll be ok after that tho!! ;)

I'm not having it, Granger.

This is a stronger race than last year (where Coneygree was all-out to win), and whilst I have no doubt that he would be amongst the favourites, and have a winning chance, it would absolutely be no formality, and talk of "smashing them up" is miles removed from logic, imo.

Course your not you stubborn git :)

It is entirely possible that last years race could have somewhat bottomed him and he might only be 75% of what he was so everything is a reflection of what could have been

I think Vautour for one would be a horse that would find it very difficult to live with him over GC trip

Back