The Two Mile Chase thread

heard hendo on radio saying he'll be put away for the summer. probably a wise choice.

amazing training performance. couple that with the MTOY performance and he's earned a lot of praise this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQCBnVRRXPk

great day, wonderfull to see such a great champion winning again in the best meeting in teh world.

Day to remember

Watching it on TV it seems an even more extraordinary performance . the way he swept past and suddenly was six lengths clear of UDS after jumping the second last was breathtaking .

Surely no doubt now that with good health and a fair wind that would have been Champion Chase no 4 .

That was one of the most incredible Cheltenham performances I've ever seen.

Agree...was sat in a Guiness View seat (crap) but it at least had a straight on view downhill....mental!! Race was won by then

Last edited:
Fantastic describes it well but not just from Sprinter Nico was mega cool and Nicky Henderson proves once again he's one of the best trainers of all time.

The expected injection of pace at the 4th from home never came from Sprinter like it has in the past.

The front 2 were never ever going to get home from there as it turns out they had gone way too fast.

Unlike previous Cheltenham races Nico sat and waited until after the 3rd last by which time UDS was walking straight into a brick wall.

Whether Nico realized that or it was the plan to hold Sprinter up longer than usual I don't know but it worked and that's what matters.

That breakneck speed also slowed Sprinter Sacre down to some tune. It took him fully 3 seconds longer from 3rd last to the winning line than it took Douvan in the Arkle.

Last edited:
I've never known scenes like it on course, amazing.
Also Sprinter made quite a few small mistakes which is most unlike him, reckon he was value for a larger winning distance.
Not ashamed to admit i bust into tears!

Last edited:
Fantastic describes it well but not just from Sprinter Nico was mega cool and Nicky Henderson proves once again he's one of the best trainers of all time.

I was very caught up in the moment (not to the same extent as Altior, I have to say) and shed a tear (which I didn't the other day). Everyone behind the scenes has done a brilliant job.

The expected injection of pace at the 4th from home never came from Sprinter like it has in the past.

The front 2 were never ever going to get home from there as it turns out they had gone way too fast.

Unlike previous Cheltenham races Nico sat and waited until after the 3rd last by which time UDS was walking straight into a brick wall.

Whether Nico realized that or it was the plan to hold Sprinter up longer than usual I don't know but it worked and that's what matters.

This was going through my mind at the time. In his prime, Sprinter won by cutting loose, while still in a comfort zone, at a pace nothing else could live with. He's bred for three miles but Henderson always said it was his natural exuberance won him his races at two miles. We haven't seen that since his heart problem. I was hoping to see it yesterday so was concerned that we weren't seeing it.

Hopefully Graham Cunningham or Simon Rowlands or EC1 will make known their sectional analysis. They kept mentioning on C4 something along the lines of "that injection of pace" or "that crushing sectional" or whatever so there must have been something there. I remember thinking Sprinter couldn't go with them and feared his race was over at the top of the hill. Then that mistake at the downhill fence convinced me he was beaten. For once I was hoping for a side-on view to see whether he was making ground or losing it heading for the bend but it was soon obvious he was upsides.

That breakneck speed also slowed Sprinter Sacre down to some tune. It took him fully 3 seconds longer from 3rd last to the winning line than it took Douvan in the Arkle.

Has this been confirmed? It certainly looked to me like he was slowing down dramatically nearing the line. Having shot about 10 lengths clear maybe burst him to an extent and it looked like he was running on empty up the hill. Watching those behind, UDS and ST were gaining on him and they were holding Gods Own in his place. Sprinter was clearly stopping. I thought the margin looked more like four lengths than seven, which is probably a measure of how much he was stopping. I'll need to check the replay to see how soon the other two caught him after the line.

But wasn't it just brilliant to see him win the big one again.

I never shout at a computer screen but i did having taken 750k out of the race.....but it wasnt about the money it was pure love of the horse. As far as the 3 seconds goes I will leave that up to the forum expert but having checked 3 times zi am 100% sure its not a kick in the ass off being right....on the downside the 75k is Thai baht not GBP's :0)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I was very caught up in the moment (not to the same extent as Altior, I have to say) and shed a tear (which I didn't the other day). Everyone behind the scenes has done a brilliant job.

This was going through my mind at the time. In his prime, Sprinter won by cutting loose, while still in a comfort zone, at a pace nothing else could live with. He's bred for three miles but Henderson always said it was his natural exuberance won him his races at two miles. We haven't seen that since his heart problem. I was hoping to see it yesterday so was concerned that we weren't seeing it.

Hopefully Graham Cunningham or Simon Rowlands or EC1 will make known their sectional analysis. They kept mentioning on C4 something along the lines of "that injection of pace" or "that crushing sectional" or whatever so there must have been something there. I remember thinking Sprinter couldn't go with them and feared his race was over at the top of the hill. Then that mistake at the downhill fence convinced me he was beaten. For once I was hoping for a side-on view to see whether he was making ground or losing it heading for the bend but it was soon obvious he was upsides.

Has this been confirmed? It certainly looked to me like he was slowing down dramatically nearing the line. Having shot about 10 lengths clear maybe burst him to an extent and it looked like he was running on empty up the hill. Watching those behind, UDS and ST were gaining on him and they were holding Gods Own in his place. Sprinter was clearly stopping. I thought the margin looked more like four lengths than seven, which is probably a measure of how much he was stopping. I'll need to check the replay to see how soon the other two caught him after the line.

They did appear to go one hell of a gallop but I am not at all sure the front two cut each other's throats they have both produced their best performances going a hell of a gallop and both were running on at the end - Sprinter was only two or three lengths behind most of the way . The incredible injection of pace appeared to be Sprinter storming seven lengths clear - he tied up close home hence the shorter winning distance.

They did appear to go one hell of a gallop but I am not at all sure the front two cut each other's throats they have both produced their best performances going a hell of a gallop and both were running on at the end

That's what I thought. A fast pace but the front two didn't exactly 'pace collapse'. Look forward to any sectionals on offer.

Good to get home and watch it again . It was an extraordinary moment when he swept past UDS and it was if Ruby could not believe what he had just seen .

Rather unfortunate for posterity that bith Simon Holt and Shouty gave lousy commentaries on this race . Holt had to cover up he meant Sprinter rather than Special Tiara and Shouty was so busy doing a promo for the sponsors he missed out Sprinter sailing past UDS .

it has been amusing watching back some of the previews and seeing so many pundits making an arse of themselves about Sprinter Sacre being completely past it - Ted Walsh for example .

I think watching it again that DO is right to rate him as value for a six or seven lengths win . Sprinter Sacre is still going away from the other two after the last and then he changes his legs and stumbles a bit half a furlong out and ties up .

i do do not agree at all with the analysis McNae promulgates on RUK's round up that UDS and Special tiara cut each other's throats - both have recorded their best performances going hell for leather in front and neither was stopping and were indeed still keeping the rest of the field more than at bay.

The level of incredulity in the press at Sprinter's performance seems to me to me more a matter of following accepted understanding that they never come back and UDS was a wonder horse rather than looking at the evidence . If the seven barrows team were right that Kempton was not the performance by which to judge Sprinter but the Shloer was there was very little between him and UDS on form

Last edited:
Cattermole's commentary on the Gold Cup should be enough to get him the boot. After Cue Card fell he called it with all the enthusiasm of a seller at Redcar.

Rather unfortunate for posterity that bith Simon Holt and Shouty gave lousy commentaries on this race . holt had to cover up he meant Sprinter rather than Special Tiara and Shouty was so busy doing a promo for the sponsors he missed out Sprinter sailing past UDS .

it has been amusing watching back some of the previews and seeing so many pundits making an arse of themselves about Sprinter Sacre being completely past it - Ted Walsh for example .

I I think watching it again that DO is right to rate him as vale for a six or seven lengths win . Sprinter Sacre is still going away from the other two after the last and then he changes his legs and stumbles a bit half a furlong out and ties up .

i do do not agree at all with the analysis McNae promulgates on RUK's round up that UDS and Special tiara cut each other
s throats - both have recorded their best performances going hell for leather in front and neither was stopping and were indeed still np keeping the rest of the field more than at bay. The level of incredulity in the press at Sprinter's performance sems to me to me more a matter of following accepted understanding that they never come back and UDS was a wonder horse rather than looking at the evidence . If the seven barrows team were right that Kempton was not the performance by which to judge Sprinter but the Shloer was there was very little between him and UDS.

Get a grip man. Quality from 'Shouty'.

"They say they never come back, this is one of the great comebacks in the history of the Cheltenham festival, and Sprinter Sacre is the Champion....again".

Quality.

Shouty was so busy going on about the Betway queen Mother CC of 2016 after the third last that he failed entirely to commentate on the crucial part of the race when Sprinter swept into the lead.

Shouty was so busy going on about the Betway queen Mother CC of 2016 after the third last that he failed entirely to commentate on the crucial part of the race when Sprinter swept into the lead.

You must have been listening to a different commentary to the rest of us, thought he was brilliant.

It was a 192p performance.....by Shouty

You could almost here him shout "I told you he'd be back" he was that enthusiastic..........Guys my favourite second to none

Last edited:
Back