The Two Mile Chase thread

It was a 192p performance.....by Shouty

You could almost here him shout "I told you he'd be back" he was that enthusiastic..........Guys my favourite second to none

I agree Tanlic, top commentator, unlike so many others very rarely calls it wrong or get's names mixed up.

He would have to carry penalties in the scholer this year too. He was well treated last season.

He was the story of last season.

Hopefully Ar Mad meets him at Sandown along with one of Mullins.

There's a good chance NJH feels this will be Sprinter Sacre's final season and his hope is that Altior can fill the gap

If Douvan is stepped up in trip Sprinter might just end on a high note and win another QMCC which would be great.

As for the Tingle Creek Sprinter Sacre will have to be 110% right for NJH to run him and the ground would have to be at worse soft. That goes without saying

His absence would give the likes of Ar Mad a squeak but his neck win over Vaniteux is 25lbs or so below what SS is still capable of.

I'd be very tempted to back Special Tiara AP if they indicate he might go as he could benefit from a late SS withdrawal.

I think it's fair to say the old team eg SS UDS Sire De Grugy Dodging Bullets Special Tiara etc still rule the roost over 2 miles unless Douvan is kept to 2 miles

That said I think that will change dramatically by the end of this the beginning of next season.

His absence would give the likes of Ar Mad a squeak but his neck win over Vaniteux is 25lbs or so below what SS is still capable of.

I think it's fair to say the old team eg SS UDS Sire De Grugy Dodging Bullets Special Tiara etc still rule the roost over 2 miles unless Douvan is kept to 2 miles

Can't agree with this. I'd take Ar Mad and Vaniteux over all bar Sprinter Sacre. Vaniteux was running a cracker in the Arkle till he came down and if he'd been ridden with more restraint to achieve the best possible placing would have been a clear second.

I dunno that Ar Mad will be aimed at the Champion Chase. He was all-out to beat Vaniteaux over 2m, but absolutely hacked-up in a minor event at Plumpton over 2m4f thereafter, and I can see him developing into a Ryanair horse, myself - especially so, if Douvan continues to hammer everything put in front of him.

His OR of 157 looks a little hefty at first glance, but it's not too hard to make a case for him potentially being fairly handicapped too, and I wonder if they might just throw him into the Bet Victor Gold Cup (old PP/Thomas Pink/Murphys/Mackeson), to see how they get on. He is as ballsy a horse as there was in the novice ranks last season, and I don't think the hurly-burly of a big handicap would worry him in the slightest. Cheltenham would also play to his strengths, imo, as he is as game as you like, and runs all the way to the line.

It's a bit of a haymaker obviously, and he isn't included in any markets that I've seen, but have asked Betfair to add him to the Cheltenham race, to see if I can't get a few speculative kopeks away.

Last edited:
Yep...went slightly right at Plumpton too.

If I get a three-figure-price, it's worth a roll of the dice. I haven't looked properly at the race yet, but nothing exactly jumps off the page at me, when I look at the markets on the race.

I think 157 is fair on what he has done to date but am sure he has an extra few lbs under the belt

Would be intrigued if he did go into a big handicap somewhere

He could well be a Ryanair/Aintree horse

Moore said recently that Ar Mad is well and ahead of SDG and Traffic Fluide. Possible all 3 may run in Tingle Creek.

157 is very low if we take his Henry viii run which was the best by a novice chaser last season, the question remains if he comes back the same after the injury. If we talk of possibilities, its not hard to imagine Douvan going for the Ryanair once Ar Mad kicks his ass if he comes to England prior to the festival.

I would tend to agree with you and Grassy re Ryanair or maybe even further considering the have stepped him from the minimum trip on 3 occasions already.

Lovely horse but I believe in calling a spade a spade and surely his form with Vaniteux sort of exposes his limitations.
He's pretty inconsistent, something had to finish second to Douvan which he would have but NJH would most likely be thinking Altior eg would be a better prospect

Just to get to the same level as Dodging Bullets 171 was when winning the QMCC he needs to improve about a stone. Very likely if over his set back

But I certainly wouldn't be aiming him at 2 miles there's too much petrol left and as already indicated that could be come high octane jet fuel if Douvan sticks to the minimum

SIRE DE GRUGY could be sent over hurdles as preparation for the Tingle Creek if connections do not consider the ground suitable at Aintree on Sunday.
The ten-year-old was due to get his season started at Chepstow earlier in the month, but was pulled out on the morning of the race as the going was too quick.

Trainer Gary Moore wants to avoid a repeat of that episode for the 2014 Champion Chase hero, and said on his Betway blog: "I'm very keen to run him in the Old Roan Chase.
"However, the only potential problem is the ground as we are in desperate need of some rain. In reality, good to soft would be fine, but any quicker than that would be a worry.
"The one thing I really don't want to do is drag him all the way up there, like we did at Chepstow, only to pull him out last minute."

Last season Sire De Grugy ran in the Haldon Gold Cup at Exeter before winning the Tingle Creek, and Moore added: "I'm just really keen to get a run into him before Sandown as it worked last year and will hopefully work again.

"If we didn't go to Aintree, then I certainly wouldn't rule him out of having a run over hurdles to prep him for Sandown."

171 for Dodging Bullets is derived from when he beat Sacre in 2015 i.e. when the Aeroplane was NO kind of measure......and they just held the rating at that level when he won the QMCC - despite him beating the 160-rated Somersby a length or so.

DB hasn't run within 10lbs of that mark in three starts since, which tells you all you need to know about how accurate the 171 is/was, imo.

171 for Dodging Bullets is derived from when he beat Sacre in 2015 i.e. when the Aeroplane was NO kind of measure......and they just held the rating at that level when he won the QMCC - despite him beating the 160-rated Somersby a length or so.

DB hasn't run within 10lbs of that mark in three starts since, which tells you all you need to know about how accurate the 171 is/was, imo.

i think this is half the problem when we discuss ratings..you get somone quoting OHR's when its suits an argument but then disagreeing with them if it don't suit..i've done it mesen

at end of day..the OHR's are not known for over rating..if anything..they tend to under estimate..what does Timeform give Dodging Bullets i wonder

Last edited:
Back