The Well Worn Road To The Champion Hurdle (2016)

Pricewise tomorrow. Can't be anything at the front of the market so my guess would either be MTOY at 25/1 or Camping Ground NRNB at around the same price.

Old Guard 40/1 NRNB the obvious one, but Tom won’t spot him :lol:

I can pretty much guarantee it'll be Camping Ground NRNB (+ one other) as he's been beating on about him getting an entry since his Relkeel romp.

I can pretty much guarantee it'll be Camping Ground NRNB (+ one other) as he's been beating on about him getting an entry since his Relkeel romp.

Haven't read the article in full yet but Arctic Fire is his e/w pick at 10s. Camping Ground of interest to him on Heavy.

Last edited:
Total ponce of a proposition from Pricewise.

Each-way about a tens-chance? My fu*cking Granny could have picked it.

Could have been worse and selected Nichols Canyon

This I don't get.

Pre race ratings and result:-

Nichols Canyon 155
Faugheen 174
Wicklow Brave 152

1/2 length; 1-1/4 lengths

After Race ratings

Nichols Canyon 160
Faugheen 171
Wicklow Brave 166

How on earth did they get to those ratings?

Arctic Fire is the second highest rated horse in the race at 166 so as you say a bit gutless but on ratings the only possible danger.

Last edited:
To be fair to him they've set a precedence here in publishing these things year on year and he was quoted in the paper over the weekend as pomdering how is he supposed to go against one Mullins hotpot after another?

Maybe they need to give him more of a free reign as to what festival races he chooses, ala Nick Watts' Thursday column. I suppose it could undermine that although Watts picks and chooses all year round so I don't see how it would differ much from now.

Could have been worse and selected Nichols Canyon

This I don't get.

Pre race ratings and result:-

Nichols Canyon 155
Faugheen 174
Wicklow Brave 152

1/2 length; 1-1/4 lengths

After Race ratings

Nichols Canyon 160
Faugheen 171
Wicklow Brave 166

How on earth did they get to those ratings?

Arctic Fire is the second highest rated horse in the race at 166 so as you say a bit gutless but on ratings the only possible danger.

Wicklow Brave was dropped a massive 11lbs subsequently, which tells its own story.
Nichols Canyon now on 169, some 11lbs higher than the close 2nd latest, which suggests he's overrated too.

Last edited:
It may seem an obvious selection but one I completely agree with. How many have a realistic chance of placing yet alone winning. Makes perfect sense to me though I thought he may look elsewhere. I expected him to come in to 8s. Though when dismissed next time out then he'll drift again.

i'm still holding out hope they have a go at the champion with him. clocked a very good closing time in the neptune last year beating the current 2nd fav.........

Jumped out as World Hurdle winner to me after last years Neptune, providing we get decent ground.
Clearly not set in stone yet where he'll go, well not that Master Weld has told us.

Clearly other dangers but he would certainly make things interesting.

Last edited:
I was referring to the comparison with TNO. Was that for a reason or just a general example of one that wasn't/isn't good enough?

Do you consider Nichols Canyon not good enough?

I was referring to the comparison with TNO. Was that for a reason or just a general example of one that wasn't/isn't good enough?

Do you consider Nichols Canyon not good enough?

Both were likely flattered by their respective Neptune performances

NC is an interesting contender - and has beaten the reigning champion

Personally I value last years Cheltenham form more than anything achieved this season around different tracks on soft/heavy ground where you've no idea what the levels of fitness are.

Nothing Windsor Park achieved prior to last seasons Neptune would suggest he was going to beat Nichols Canyon or a couple of the others. Yet different tactics and better ground showed him at his best. The Neptune has a very strong record for producing Champion Hurdle winners so I certainly wouldn't be ruling him out. If connections think he'll get 3 miles then fair enough but as yet he doesn't appear to have been campaigned as such.

Back