The Well Worn Road To The Champion Hurdle (2016)

thing is with .."what has it beat"..situation could easily be levelled at Istabraq as well...look at See You Then...never gets mentioned hardly..triple CH winner

its not just what they beat ..its how far really isn't it?

if the 2nd best hurdler is rated 163..and a horse is only besting him a length when they meet..fair comment..not only not beat much..not by far either

how can you quantify if beating a 163 by 15 lengths is worse than beating a 170 hoss 2 lengths..in second case..yes you beat a better horse..but by a lot less

its a sliding scale..if i had a hurdler and it beat a 150 horse 25 lengths..i'd think i'd got a pretty good horse..wouldn't you? If after you had just watched your horse do that..and someone said..yeah..but what has he beat?..i'm pretty sure you would do a sum with that person after decking em:)..150+25 = 175. It don't matter what you have beat..if you hammered them 25

I do like horses that can go woosh like Istabraq could but then there's horses like Rooster Booster who I wouldn't use the word great about if you paid me.

WTF has Faugheen beat to date that were in their primes? Atrctic Fire and whtsitsname?

If that's your argument, I suggest you very quickly try and forget the names Theatreworld, Mantles Prince and Bust Out.

Istabraq's biggest ever winning distance was 15L when he beat the 134-rated Derrymoyle in the Festival Hurdle. Faugheen has beaten the 166-rated Arctic Fire the same distance in the ICH. For every opponent of Faugheen's that you try to rubbish, I can find an example of something similar in Istabraq's record.

We may need to try you in cheek-pieces. :D

i'll just have a cup of tea whilst smoke starts coming out your ears as you read it:)

Did you write that LOL

I loved that post by Steeplechasing he defintely should stick to writing his tales from the betting ring.

Ok what i will do id this...If Faugheen can win the Champion Hurdle by 15 lengths I will give him my own personal rating of 182 alongside Night Nurse

BUT I still think number crunchers are all stone mad and playing with ratings is like playing with fire.

i'll just have a cup of tea whilst smoke starts coming out your ears as you read it:)

Did you write that LOL

I loved that post by Steeplechasing he defintely should stick to writing his tales from the betting ring.

Ok what i will do id this...If Faugheen can win the Champion Hurdle by 15 lengths I will give him my own personal rating of 182 alongside Night Nurse

BUT I still think number crunchers are all stone mad and playing with ratings is like playing with fire.

The point I was making is rating are era bound.....in other words you are compared to what you are beating in your year/s. Too bade if everything else is a notch down from the average because they are still going to pick up a Group 1 here and there and the Handicapper will rate them about the....

Timeform regularly argue that ratings allow us to compare horses across different generations [because they believe their ratings are arrived at using empirical data rather than personal opinion].

But often it's only at the end of a season that we can look back and say whether the ratings are accurate or not and adjust them accordingly.

Binocular was a good hurdler
on figures, he posted for me 169 twice and a 168.
i think cheltenham was not his best and was able to fun there in some festivals.

attachment.php

Sorted

Attachments

• faugheen.jpg
    faugheen.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 66
Evil mind working says: Ritchie boy should just stick 20k on Peace and Co at evens with Paddy Power then pull his fellow out then lay him back at 1.2. Take away eccies ets he's won more than the prize money and can stay home and watch the Irish Gold Cup:ninja:

If the Mullins horse stays at home this will almost be as bad as the 2nd Contenders Binocular won.

No idea if he will come over but at least WPM has entered one for it which is more than NJH or PN do when the shoe is on the other foot.

If he were to win the race due to Peace and Co running away with your man again then it would have to go down as a very smart move by WPM.

Other than that Peace and Co should win hard held in this company if he's going to give Faugheen a run for his m0ney

Last edited:
i think Rayvin Black is the one to test him in that..if there is one that can....on a RH track..especially this one he is a pretty good marker horse..interesting to see how easily he can beat the hardened handicapper at his fav track

Last edited:
Back