The Well Worn Road To The Champion Hurdle (2016)

When you look back it really shouldn't. This year we go Faugheen way out in front with only one possible danger in Peace and Co as he''s trounced everything else already

Last year Arctic Fire always threatened do do something on the big day, Jezki was expected to improve for better ground Hurricane Fly had won and done everything asked of him and The New One fan club were still living in hope.

Actually if Faugheen and Arctic Fire were not around Hurricane Fly may well have won his 3rd Champion Hurdle.

Despite a defeat Faugheen seem to be bang on song and could easily retain his crown.

He certainly has the speed as we saw from the top of the hill last year.

I've compared his finishing speed from the top of the hill compared to the likes of Istabraq and there's nothing between them in 2 of Istabraq's races which is no mean feat for any horse to find that kind of speed at the end of a Champion Hurdle.

What separates the good from the greats is the greats find it no matter how the rest of the race was run, slow fast they still find that turn of foot that separates them from the rest.

At the end of the day I think Peace and Co has a tremendous turn of foot. I love the way Barry rode him in the Triumph fully confident when he wanted him to pick up he would and he did exactly that.

Faugheen may well gallop him into the ground and take the sting out of his tail but as Nicky says following Faugheen(Keeping up with him) should be no problem as both MTOY and Peace and Co have very high cruising speeds.

It's what happens from the top of the hill when Ruby says go that will decide who wins. MTOY has had his chance and if he couldn't beat Jezki then it's highly unlikely he's going to cope with Faugheen.

Peace and Co however might if there is aking in Faugheens armour.

On paper winning the Champion Hurdle for Faugheen is oh so easy but on the day in reality with Peace and Co up his backside the confidence of his fans will take a few knocks and I reckon we'll have a new Champion Hurdler.

I reralise I am alone on this but it's the way the two run their races that makes me think Peace and Co can take him in the closing stages

Whilst I agree watch the race again. The new tack didn't work. He head was high and he was pulling it from right to left for almost the entire race, still burning unnecessary petrol. It meant he was pulling just as hard but it wasn't so obvious to the naked eye.

The other observation is he appeared to be carrying more condition than you'd have expected at this stage.

I don't doubt the engine is there, but unless they sort his head out he'll continue to be a disappointment.

Last edited:
Ah he pulled alright but not near as much as last time. No excuses there, MTOY always pulled like a train but got home.

He's just not that good & as Grassy said Triumph form exposed again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah he pulled alright but not near as much as last time. No excuses there, MTOY always pulled like a train but got home.

He's just not that good & as Grassy said Triumph form exposed again.

Just because it's not as visible doesn't mean he's pulling any less Kauto. Re-watch it and you'll see the tack simply stopped him throwing his head around anywhere near as much. He pulled for the entire race, until he was allowed to go in the home straight, and exactly the same happened this time as last, albeit it was less obvious to the naked eye.

Ya but MTOY pulled the arms out of McCoy in a Supreme & Champion hurdle & still got home in both cases, in championship races he came within a head of winning.

P&C pulled last year too but got away with it. He just cant get away with it this year. He's simply not good enough & that's been advertised regularly throughout this season. None of the 1st three home in the Triumph have won since and it's February now. Nearly a year on. Realistically Old Guard is the only one to train on.

Last edited:
I'm not advocating him as a Champion Hurdle winner. Just that it's premature to write him off as a dog. If they get him to settle he could still be a Grade 1 horse in the future.

We're all a little bit guilty of hyping up Triumph winners, and history shows their record the following year is poor.

Last edited:
and the reason mainly..as i said 30 pages or so back..is that the TH is a stamina test for 4 year olds with it being run over 2m1 on the new course with that long run up the hill compared to the shorter run in and trip the CH is run over..it tends to highlight stamina rather than speed re a CH horse needs..2m1 on new course is a stiff test for 4yo's.

i equated P+C to TNO right back in this thread..and if they get his head sorted it would be no surprise if he proves better at further than 2 miles anyway

Last edited:
Therein lies the problem EC. If they step him up they go slower and he burns even more petrol. I can't see them doing that for the forseeable.

I'm not advocating him as a Champion Hurdle winner. Just that it's premature to write him off as a dog. If they get him to settle he could still be a Grade 1 horse in the future.

Either am I. He's miles away from a champion hurdle horse tho.

Hargam, as proven, is the only one from that Triumph trio that can hold his head high

You must Know Me breaking down there puts it all into perspective..

Very sad.

I think Nicky needs to have a word with the guy with the beard and the white dress that turned water into wine..get him to do one of those miracles.:lol:

Actually he's not done a lot wrong he just hasn't produced a finish which was his biggest asset last season.

Hargam could be a player is the ground was really fast good ground but he doesn't handle any give in the ground well enough to be bothering Faugheen.

Unfortunately he only has had good ground once since the Scottish Triumph and he was as big as a barn door for that race.

I'm not just saying this because he lost but before the race I thought P & C looked huge but judging on a screen is not recommended.

Daryl Jacob seems surprisingly confident Nicky will have him right for Cheltenham and hasn't given up hope but as much as I admire

the master of Seven barrows he would need divine intervention to pull this one out of the bag.

to be fair T..if Hargam wins a CH..i'm packing it in..it will defy all known boundaries of believability..it would probably crush me mentally to the point where i couldn't look at another horse race again:)

Last edited:
I'm sure many punters said the same thing about horses like Kirriemuir, Subimity, For Auction, Beach Road, Hardy Eustace and even See You Then....absolutely no chance..won't be sighted etc etc but they all won......I assure you if something other than Faugheen wins you will get over it.

no i can guarantee you..if Hargam wins..thats it for me:)

yes i know we have had big priced uns before..but Hargam..noooooooooooooooooooooo

some of those years weren't the strongest T were they?

i know all about shocks..i ain't got over Broadsword getting turned over by baron blakeney in TH yet:)..nearly packed it in then tbh..it did defy all belief

Last edited:
Back