The Well Worn Road To The Champion Hurdle (2016)

Ricci let Mullins keep her away from the Fly long enough and it was only because he had Faugheen that'd have been happy to see her go Mares route last year. He's a gutless fool if he doesn't let Annie attempt to fulfill her destiny now there's nothing to prevent her running.

As Segal puts it, she's probably the most talented NH race mare of all time and it'd be a crying shame if all she has on her CV at the end of her career is a mares hurdle.

it has been quoted here before that JP no longer bets ante post due to the amount he lost on Jack of trumps in 79 Gold cup when he knew Gay Spartan was a non runner before the bookies only for JOT to be injured the very same day.
Boyles had Faugheen at 1/3 at 1 o clock today in the local shop.
lots of lads have nice bets the others at fancy prices; all the best to them now.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bookie.

Last edited:
A few years ago Annie was touted, maybe even sold/bought on the basis of being the next Dawn Run, the 2016 Gold Cup as being her date with immortality.
maybe now she gets the chance to bag the first leg of the double.
This thread has a new lease of life now ! four glorious weeks of gossip ahead of us all.

Silver linings and all that I suppose.

I doubt there's anybody who truly loves the sport that doesn't feel sick as a parrot right now but at least the race is a discussion topic once more and won't be another formality on the day.

Silver linings and all that I suppose.

I doubt there's anybody who truly loves the sport that doesn't feel sick as a parrot right now but at least the race is a discussion topic once more and won't be another formality on the day.

yep

can have a bet on the race now:)

I've always liked My Tent or Yours and had €20 ew on him the other day before his gallop NRNB at 25/1. My thinking was if he wins Saturday he could nick a place at a big price.

He's 6/1 3rd fav now having been off the track since April '14!! A bit nuts really but at least I got some value. Henderson most definitely wont send him to Wincanton if it's heavy now and I wouldn't be surprised to see them give him a gallop around Kempton Park instead, even on a jumpers bumper if they can find one!! He's done the world of schooling & has always been strong in the hurdling department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always liked My Tent or Yours and had €20 ew on him the other day before his gallop NRNB at 25/1. My thinking was if he wins Saturday he could nick a place at a big price.

He's 6/1 3rd fav now having been off the track since April '14!! A bit nuts really but at least I got some value. Henderson most definitely wont send him to Wincanton if it's heavy now and I wouldn't be surprised to see them give him a gallop around Kempton Park instead, even on a jumpers bumper if they can find one!! He's done the world of schooling & has always been strong in the hurdling department.

10/1 with hills nrnb is worth taking

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

I had more or less the same bet, KA.....£40 at 20/1 with Powers NRNB on 12th Feb. My only other bets in the race were on Quick Jack, back at the start if the season. I've even managed to get away with only 4 blown multiples, with Faugheen missing the race (considering myself fortunate - I suspect others are feeling a deal more pain on the multiple front).

Ya I've 6 or 7 gone down the drain as a result of Faugheen. Imagine the knock on affect now with AP prob going champion & VVM back to mares!!

I know lots of fellas on VVM for world hurdle & Ryanair at prices. Most probably all gone now.

I had no singles on Faugheen but nor had I on Min so to allay concerns over the latter strolling to victory at a short price I'd got a couple of £25 free bet accas with those two and Douvan + Annie in to return the best part of a bag.

Later concerns over VVM replacing the potentially WH bound Annie in the Mares had me a bit twitchy so I placed a cash acca to return roughly the same amount with Powers a while back when they were a stand out price (15/2 I think) about VVM.

Only one of the two accas with Annie in were NRNB about Faugheen whereas my VVM acca is and now pays a lot more than the single Annie one. So I'm in the strange situation of wanting Annie to go the Champion route whereas yesterday I wanted the opposite due to a few doubles here and there on her too.

and I've also just backed her 3/1 NRNB with Ladbrokes.

Not being a big AP player nearly all of my positions revolve around Douvan so I'll be jumping off Tower Bridge if he is re-routed to the CH.

going back to the worry about RW at final flight for those that worry.....here is another reason why its not worth worrying about..because there are bigger worries..the horse don't even run being probably top of the list

from the RP

Jockey Ruby Walsh could comment only on Annie Power's performance, having been told of Faugheen's injury while on the way to Punchestown. "She was very keen; the hood she wore would have been as well being on me!" he said

No way can they run her over 3 miles at Cheltenham if she was that keen over 2m4f and the step back to 2m seems entirely logical

So, who makes the pace in the CH without Faugheen? There seem to be an abundance of hold-up horses in the race now, and that wouldn't suit AP, either. Maybe Nichols Canyon will definitely go for the CH now and make the pace.

Annie Power if she goes would have no problem making her own pace over 2m either i'd imagine.

Nichols Canyon will take them along. He's seen to his best when dictating matters.
I'm a big fan of the horse but have a big fear his battle with Identity Thief at xmas could leave its mark on him for the rest of the season.
He ran no race in the Irish Champion.

Identity Thief didn't go to the well as deep as NC that day over xmas, and was wisely rested in the meantime.
He's the most solid bet for me.

Annie Power if she goes would have no problem making her own pace over 2m either i'd imagine.

Could anyone back a horse in her first proper race over 2 miles at 3/1? She's is a horrible price.

Unbelievable 14/5 on the exchange is the best you can get. She's generally a 9/4 chance.

My sewer rat got me £100 @ 10/1 Nicolas Canyon and £150 @ 7/1 Arctic Fire when the news broke. Annie Power will make the market on the day. She can't be fav.

Last edited:
Back