The Well Worn Road To The Champion Hurdle (2016)

Intriguing race tactically no doubt.
Nicky HAS to find a pacemaker for both Peace And Co and MTOY if he has any chance.
Game on for all the rest including The New One and identity Thief;Old Guard on course form make him value if one takes the view his Kempton run came too quick after his Bula hurdle win
What are the chances of Annie Power winning a Champion Hurdle after being beaten at TWO festivals in Hurdle races neither of which were a Champion Hurdle ?
Has it been done before ?

i think i'd be putting UDS in the CH..its a bigger prize than the CC .and he would romp it...in fact if he won without too much fuss..run him in both:)

if it runs in the CC..and falls..they will win bugger all with it.

as it is..i don't see AP being the winner..and god forbid if the race gets any softer TNO could end up getting by defection of talent:ninja:

When the dust settles, still reckon Annie will run in Mare's race. WPM has the fav and Nichols for The Champion, VVM looks a better chaser so Ryanair is better option. If he is going to be Champion trainer over here the more races he wins at Cheltenham the better chance he has.

One thing we can be thankful for is the fact that Faugheen between Kempton and Leopardstown routed pretty much what CH contenders have run this season.
The others have no real pretensions of "Hurdler Of The Year " unless Annie completely destroys her opponents ( if she runs )

What piece of form does Annie have in the book that entitles her to be favourite for a champion hurdle? I know it's a **** champion but she is short of the required standard on what she's achieved so far. Should be 10/1.

If I were wpm she would be in the mares,vvm in the world,UDS in the champion and vautor the QMCC and leave Djakadam the sole GC contender.

This puzzle is quite easy to solve

Ruby will decide where every horse will run

i think they will run
nichols Canyon , Arctic Fire and siempre medici in the champion hurdle
un des sceaux in the queen mother
annie power in the mares race
vroum group in the stayers

Ruby will ride nicholls canyon.

annie power is a place lay if she runs in the champion hurdle or the stayers.

Annie Power has drifted out to 9/2. 3/1 for the Champion was some laugh. She's hasn't had a proper race in two years.

Last edited:
that's on betfair though which factors in the possibility of her not going. rightly or wrongly is she goes and ruby is on she's less than 3/1.

Annie Power has drifted out to 9/2. 3/1 for the Champion was some laugh. She's hasn't had a proper race in two years.

Still shortening on the high st though Slim - now stand out 9/4 but 2s and 7/4 elsewhere.

Exchanges only as big as they are because they're not NRNB and she's yet to be supplemnted.

She'll definitely be bigger than 2s on the day though if she runs and Ruby's decision will decide who goes off fav between her and AF. Nice bet on him btw.

Last edited:
There's a couple of lines of form through Rayvin Black and Top Notch that make Camping Ground possibly the best of the British runners that have run this season? Betting suggests he'll be going World Hurdle. I've thrown a score at him on the machine at 36 just in the hope the trainer realises he wont stay 3m. Hopefully this news will make him change his mind as CG could dictate the race from the front.

There's a couple of lines of form through Rayvin Black and Top Notch that make Camping Ground possibly the best of the British runners that have run this season? Betting suggests he'll be going World Hurdle. I've thrown a score at him on the machine at 36 just in the hope the trainer realises he wont stay 3m. Hopefully this news will make him change his mind as CG could dictate the race from the front.

Just searching Google and found this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ra...round-Champion-Hurdle-amid-stamina-fears.html

The joke with Annie Power is that the rumour this week was that she was being seriously considered for the boat race. So we're a month away from the festival and their not sure wether she's running in the 2 mile Championship, 3 mile Championship or the persision mares race.

She will be a massive lay in the Champion. The big question to ask is what price will Arctic Fire or Nichols Canyon be if Ruby rides. They are the NRNB angle now. We were all falling over ourselves taking 7/2 w/o Faugheen on Arctic Fire after Leiopardstowm yet now punters are taking 9/4 Annie Power and there is as much 7/2 Arctic Fire as you can eat. The world is gone ******* mad.

Last edited:
I believe I read somewhere Swedish Chef that the trainer has stated he doesn't think it will stay 3 miles as its too keen so will run in the Champion Hurdle. Couldn't have it personally. Somebody else earlier mentioned that Henderson may require a pacemaker for My Tent and Peace and Co to help them settle: It wouldn't surprise me if Top Notch ran here and fulfilled that exact job. I wouldn't particularly be concerned if they didn't though as there are 3 or 4 in there who have either led or raced prominently this season. Plus its a Champion Hurdle, they either go fast or very fast!

4 lb's between them on OR's, Nichols Canyon open to more improvement.

I don't think its that clear cut. BUT WPM would have to do a great job at freshening NC up.

Arctic Fire wins. That's the way I look at it.

Arctic Fire wins. That's the way I look at it.

Fair enough.

If Annie goes, I assume Ruby chooses her. Townend on AF, who's on Nichols Canyon now that Danny Mullins is out?

Could David Mullins get the opportunity? Rode him to beat Faugheen in the Morgiana.

Annie Power's price is bonkers . If she runs she has a chance no doubt but surely she should be 9-2 or so .

Annie Power's price is bonkers . If she runs she has a chance no doubt but surely she should be 9-2 or so .

The people posing the question of if Ruby rides AP what price will she be in the day are forgetting s few things. It will be day one and there is now no WPM multiples to stop them wanting to lay the bejesus out of a mare with loads of negatives. I can't see how she goes off shorter than 3/1 on the day. On course and Betfair layers will fall over themselves to lay her. I'm struggling to think of a positive to be on her.

Annie Power out to 5/1 on the exchangers. Hardly surprising. The 7/2 out there for the Mares looks a bet. You're roughly betting 13/8 she runs in the race. I'd make it odds on she goes for the mares.

It's an interesting angle but if you look at it from WPM & RR point of view I'd say she'll definitely run in the Champion hurdle at this stage. They could run annie in the mares and sack vvm off to the world hurdle where she'd have a massive task and they know it. Or they could swing annie power for the champion hurdle and vvm for the mares thinking both have massive chances to win. The alternative option being that ap goes mares and vvm goes for the Ryanair and they could think both have major chances but you would think the champ hurdle/mares looks more appealing.

Money talks but it can't sing and it can't walk

C Hurdle £227,800 2nd £85,480 3rd £42,800

Mares £56,270 2nd £21,200 3rd £10,610

Quevega was outclassed in the Irish Champion Hurdle by Solwit and Punjabi and they wouldn't even be the best around so expecting Annie Power to take on and beat Champion Hurdle horses is asking an awful lot.

The gamble from a financial point if view may be worth it for RR not so sure Ruby would want to go that way.

What Ruby says and Ruby thinks may not be the same.

My own thoughts is that he will be thinking Champion Hurdle? are they mad?

Strictly from a business point of view he would want to be riding Arctic Fire and Annie Power in the races they are entered in at the moment.

Last edited:
Back