Today's Fancy

7.00 Pittodrie Star

best bet for me tonight..needs a good pace..will get it with Dan Buoy and Spruzo in the line up..is on a winning mark..stable really firing

5.6 looks nice

This thread fascinates me. How many of you actually study the racing every day?

Irish racing only unless it's a listed race or better. There is too much English racing to know where to start. Typically if I'm off work I'll buy the Racing Post but not look at the racing.

I hate Saturdays and find them impossible in terms of form study/having a bet.

Last edited:
Euron, it will come as no surprise to you, or others on here, that I have a list of horses to follow/watch and if one is running I then look closely at the race it is involved in.

As Gearoid says there is too much racing to study every race.

At this time of the year I would look at the entries for the week on a Sunday and look out for certain horses.I wouldn't be pushed about having a bet between Monday and Friday afternoon.As a general rule I avoid Friday afternoons.
From November to March I look at the racing carefully every day.Over the last couple of years I have found the relatively small number of horses campaigned on the all weather a great help.At one time I thought there always seemed to be someone who knows better but last winter I came to the conclusion that at times it's equine roulette -pure gambling.

Not every day as a rule, but everyday I would refer to the racing websites to look at the upcoming programming, weather forecasts and entries. It's impossible to follow even Irish racing properly.

I'm planning on going to Leopardstown Thursday. Even if I wasn't I still would go through the card quickly tonight. I will do the same when the decs come through Wednesday and have a good look at it Wednesday night and early Thursday morning. When you have a good feel for the card all the market moves etc make more sense.

I would study or read about racing nearly every waking minute but fortunately the wife two kids and work prevent me from doing just that.

Last edited:
I'm planning on going to Leopardstown Thursday. Even if I wasn't I still would go through the card quickly tonight. I will do the same when the decs come through Wednesday and have a good look at it Wednesday night and early Thursday morning. When you have a good feel for the card all the market moves etc make more sense.

Reasonable looking card on thursday g especially the group 3 sprint. The draw will be monstrous and anything low will have a chance even the 90 odd rated yokes. Might head there myself.

Been given two today - Redcar 2:00 Lexi's Prince & Salisbury 5:30 Eshtyaaq - good luck if you play.

One more - Redcar 3:00 Fleurie Lover

Last edited:
My last 4 bets have consisted of two 2nds backed to win, a 5th backed each way in a race paying 4 places, and a 4th backed each way in a race paying 3 places. Have backed Eshtyaaq to win, so I'd say it's nailed on for 2nd.

Every day for work/pleasure - sometimes have a day off if I'm not in work mind just to re-fresh the mind.

Normally start with the worst racing and Thurs-Fri nights are spent (in winter at least) looking over the P2P entries and form for the weekend.

Lets hope Eshtyaaq wins, 6-1 into 3-1 in Hills, and I'm waiting for it for a £10 treble, April Fool and Boom and Bust already gone in! ;)

Bad day at the office I had an early priced each way treble as well as singles :mad:
thats brought me down to earth with a bang.

6 days out of 7 for me pretty much. A massive blurring of the lines between work/hobby though for which I acknowledge how fortunate I am.

He was a she and possibly the smallest mare to run in a bumper this year according to ATR.I should have quadrupled my bet.

I'm not having a bet today after yesterdays three all disappointing but I have been sent three today which I'll put up for interest - Your choice if you back them or not - I'm not so they will likely do well. I think strongest info is for last named.

Bev - 3:30 Zaplamation

Yarm - 3:40 Oil Strike

Kemp - 8:15 - Lunar Promise

I look at the racing pages pretty much every day online. I also try and watch as many maidens and listed class and above races as I can. Having said that I normally only punt on saturdays, the occasional sunday and the odd night during the week.

Since Cheltenham this has been the best start to a flat season i've ever had which is mostly down to a change in betting strategy and staking as well as focussing on specific race types.

Not so much a fancy but rather an observation. Prince of Dance 's OR rating has fallen from 108 to 83 in a straight line. I've been watching and not really learned anything but may it's time to perform -or not. 4.20 haydock

Not so much a fancy but rather an observation. Prince of Dance 's OR rating has fallen from 108 to 83 in a straight line. I've been watching and not really learned anything but may it's time to perform -or not. 4.20 haydock

The money seems to be down today. Have had a small interest.

Back