Today's Fancy

Jonathan Neesom's comments for Hurricane Hymnbook quite amusing, but I think this type of horse you see what you want to see 'slightly awkward start, detached in last most of way, suddenly ran on inside final furlong, finished well'

The 7.10 at Wolverhampton has an appealing shaped because I don't like either of the front 2 in the market. Ruby Dia is off an absence and doesn't look like a miler to me. He's by Hernando out of Oblique who was herself related to stayers and 8.6f on poly I think could see him lack for speed. Lay Claim, I shall do just that, a rancid creature that shall be a maiden forever. Has looked tripless so far, surprise if the step up to 1m will suit.

Spirit of Love and Abriachan have claims but the one I like is Slikback Jack. He ran poorly without excuse last time but his 2 placed efforts on polytrack prior to that are good efforts and a reproduction of them would give him excellent claims. SHould be favourite for me.

Glenquest is now a general 8/1 chance. Victor Chandler are a stand out 10/1. No excuses for not being on by now.

Jonathan Neesom's comments for Hurricane Hymnbook quite amusing, but I think this type of horse you see what you want to see 'slightly awkward start, detached in last most of way, suddenly ran on inside final furlong, finished well'

They're clearly getting it down the handicap, it's been given some epic rides by Culhane and Stef Higgins eluded to it on Twitter. It will win soon off a very lenient mark when they finally let the handbrake off.

Agree with you on Slikback Jack, interesting if Nicholls tries anything different now he's taken over Glover's yard and running it as a satellite yard.

The one I like today is Restless Bay in the 4.10 Wolverhampton, this is a pretty weak nursery and I think he has a bit more to offer at the trip.

His last figure he posted for me was way better than anything in the field has put in and even his other three runs around Wolverhampton have been better figures than the opposition. Sprinting looks his game and he's well drawn; he's got a great chance and I'd have him in as fav to be honest.

Today I welcome with open arms the chance to lay The Bull Hayes at odds on in the 145 at Thurles.

Good shout. Giot my account going the right way for the day. Hoping to spin up another few quid on Betfair today.

Yes but you got me started for the day. I had a €150 balance that I got up to €520. If the Bull Hayes had won chances are I would have done the lot.

Last edited:
They're clearly getting it down the handicap, it's been given some epic rides by Culhane and Stef Higgins eluded to it on Twitter. It will win soon off a very lenient mark when they finally let the handbrake off.

I don't disagree but as an outsider looking in, I don't know what you can do. You either guess early that this is the day and end up like a chump with your 8's about a 50's chance or you wait for them to dip their bread and are left with all white and no yolk. These type of projects suit me best to just draw a line through them and then if you get beat by him on 'the day' then just take it on the chin. Much prefer the Barney gambles where they at least all have a very similar pattern.

I suppose so, a clear indicator that last night wasn't the night was that it had no further entries so couldn't run it with a penalty. I left it last night but will continue to follow it and try and get it at a tasty price when it's running of the mid 60s.

They can't have many gos left with it.

The thing is, running up a sequence isn't going to be the main priority with a horse like this like it is with Prescott duck-egg coups. If this delivers when the cash comes, it will be job done, anything else would be an afterthought imo.

Cheers Stan. Bizarre betting race. SP punters bear the brunt of the off course best odds guaranteed firms as they forced Rubi Dia back into 2/1 despite it being 5.5 on the off on betfair.

To be fair, anyone who bets SP really shouldn't be betting if they're doing it to try and make a few quid!

On a randon 100 selectios I would be 5/6 in a match between any named firms EP and SP to a £1 level stake. DJ is referring to blatant market manipulation by the off course firms in a weak on course market.

Theoretical question -you fancy a large bet at 5/6 in a match bet.The trainer of the other horse walks in to betting office(in cheltenham) and says he fancies his horse to run well.what do you do.

Depends on your reason for being against said horse and how much regard you hold the trainer in. Personally I'd stick to my guns because my reasons for taking the horse on would be sound regardless of whether the trainer thinks he'll run well.

Theoretical question -you fancy a large bet at 5/6 in a match bet.The trainer of the other horse walks in to betting office(in cheltenham) and says he fancies his horse to run well.what do you do.

Absolutely stick to your guns - most trainers always fancy their own and their charges usually run worse than expectations - just read the RP everyday when all trainers are called and quoted for a couple of lines - "ran well the last day expect him to go close" "he's been working well the ground and trip should suit" etc etc - have you ever read "my horses are completely out of form - he's way out of his depth - probably will be a fence behind at the last - that's if he gets that fat seen as he can't jump, isn't fit and wouldn't stay that far in a hotsebox" No? Neither have I !! Did you stick to your guns and win or listen to Mr de Bromhead and lose??

It depends on wether he was having a bet or not.

It wasn't Henry-he isn't a betting office type.The horse in question was Kevkat trained by Eoin Griffin and ridden by Murtagh.I changed my mind and threw docket in the bin.Kevkat travelled well and looked like he had a chance of winning the race for a while -the other horse was never competetive but came through to finish ahead of Kevkat in the last 100 yards.
I am still convinced I did the right thing chucking the docket.

Back