Today's Fancy

I think their game plan was always to sell the chain -Ivan has spoken about it being his pension fund.I'd say they will tough it out in the short to medium term but sell in the long term.

I have to say I like Ivan. His passion for punting comes across to me. They lay a decent sports bet too at the wrong price. All in all I like them.

Small place lay on Microlight in the next at Wolverhampton-got a hard race last time out which he might remember.

Shocking performance from our Irish contingent today - not a mention of the first at Lingfield today - a race that managed to mess up my punting for the day no less!

From the Sporting Life:

Freddie Mitchell had a dream start to his career in the saddle when partnering the well-backed Brabazon to victory in the Tanridge Amateur Riders' Handicap at Lingfield.
Son of former trainer Philip Mitchell, the youngster picked up the ride after the booked pilot, Graham Watters, failed to make the trip from Ireland due to the weather.
Having been available at 25-1 in the morning, Brabazon, making his first appearance for 892 days and having his first start for Ireland's youngest trainer, Emmet Butterly, absolutely hacked up as the 11-4 favourite.
Mitchell, who learned his trade on the pony circuit, looked composed in letting his mount stroll 10 lengths clear of Olivino.
"That was great. I thought I was clear but when I looked round and saw how far I was in front, I was able to stop riding," said the 16-year-old.
"I don't think they'll all be that easy.
"My dad was a trainer and my mum taught me to ride and I've done plenty of pony and Shetland racing for the last four or five years.
"I took my licence out in October and this is my first ride.
"It's a lot different to pony racing. It's quieter, no-one screams and swears!"

Punted at all rates from 50/1 downwards this morning, he won by 10 lengths easing up - shame he didn't ease up a bit more as I was certain the distance markets were both going under today and they would've without this race!

Rather odd that the jockey was stopped by the weather, but the horse, who was making the same trip (if not a more arduous one, from Letterkenny), had no such problems. Or that the entire Mitchell family should be on hand to celebrate Freddie's first winner.

ATR - Freddies dad said get yourself down to Lingfield there might be a spare ride...

Quote of the year.

Funnily enough the two firms who were bottom price at the start of the gamble both have shops in Letterkenny too.

Emmett Butterly has already courted controversy with another horse in the past year, not bad for a trainer who seemingly only 3 on his books.

FWIW Freddie Mitchell is a very very good jockey - well it was like printing money in the pony races, hopefully it'll be the same in amateur races/points.

The Mitchell brothers seem to be rather lucky, Jack stepped in to take the winning ride on South African Gold in the 3.10 as well.

Emmett Butterly has already courted controversy with another horse in the past year, not bad for a trainer who seemingly only 3 on his books.

Indeed. Cybersnow was disqualified from 3 wins in 2009 having been found to have participated in 'flapping' races. That aside it was an utterly good training performance to produce Brabazon in such good shape after an 892 day absence.

Shocking performance from our Irish contingent today - not a mention of the first at Lingfield today - a race that managed to mess up my punting for the day no less!

From the Sporting Life:

Freddie Mitchell had a dream start to his career in the saddle when partnering the well-backed Brabazon to victory in the Tanridge Amateur Riders' Handicap at Lingfield.
Son of former trainer Philip Mitchell, the youngster picked up the ride after the booked pilot, Graham Watters, failed to make the trip from Ireland due to the weather.
Having been available at 25-1 in the morning, Brabazon, making his first appearance for 892 days and having his first start for Ireland's youngest trainer, Emmet Butterly, absolutely hacked up as the 11-4 favourite.
Mitchell, who learned his trade on the pony circuit, looked composed in letting his mount stroll 10 lengths clear of Olivino.
"That was great. I thought I was clear but when I looked round and saw how far I was in front, I was able to stop riding," said the 16-year-old.
"I don't think they'll all be that easy.
"My dad was a trainer and my mum taught me to ride and I've done plenty of pony and Shetland racing for the last four or five years.
"I took my licence out in October and this is my first ride.
"It's a lot different to pony racing. It's quieter, no-one screams and swears!"

Punted at all rates from 50/1 downwards this morning, he won by 10 lengths easing up - shame he didn't ease up a bit more as I was certain the distance markets were both going under today and they would've without this race!

Got to see the race on my lunchbreak- as easy a winner as I've seen on the AW. Somebody will be having a comfy Christmas after that gamble;)

Indeed. Cybersnow was disqualified from 3 wins in 2009 having been found to have participated in 'flapping' races. That aside it was an utterly good training performance to produce Brabazon in such good shape after an 892 day absence.

Can't remember the details, but the owner of both horses appealed the 2-year ban given to Cybersnow just in time for it to win on debut for Butterly. Which was nice.

What a lucky break...

RP

Mitchell, the son of former trainer Philip, had no booked rides on the card but was said to have travelled to the track in case the rider of Jakeys Girl, Christine Powell, failed to make the weight of 9st 10lb for trainer Pat Phelan, for whom Mitchell works.

Although...

In the event, Powell rode Jakeys Girl, posting 3lb overweight, while Mitchell took the ride on Brabazon after his jockey, Graham Watters, was reported to have been held up by weather conditions and arrived five minutes too late to take the ride.

Last edited:
The scheduled jock, G.B. Watters (still claiming 5lbs), arrived with his gear bag muttering "My plane was delayed" as the horses were going down the horsewalk to the start. The race card notes were the least hopeful of BRABAZON, who got the only single star rating ("can be given little or no chance") and Timeform opined, "No form since 2007 and best to look elsewhere. Starting out for new yard following 892 days on the sidelines."

I'm sure Utterly Butterly will have been invited to explain the near-miraculous triumph of his horse in such a facile manner, but no doubt he will be able to oil his way around it by saying the horse was all the butter, sorry, better, for the nice long rest, and had taken well to a new regime. He might've had to spread it on a bit thick, and lard some of his comments with greasy compliments... (stop it. Ed.)

Re the horsey: he had travelled ahead of the day, and stayed overnight at the course in the new Marriott Hotel. No, of course he didn't. He arrived the day before and overnighted in the stables, which perhaps Mr Watters should've done.

Last edited:
The scheduled jock, G.B. Watters (still claiming 5lbs), arrived with his gear bag muttering "My plane was delayed" as the horses were going down the horsewalk to the start. The race card notes were the least hopeful of BRABAZON, who got the only single star rating ("can be given little or no chance") and Timeform opined, "No form since 2007 and best to look elsewhere. Starting out for new yard following 892 days on the sidelines."

I'm sure Utterly Butterly will have been invited to explain the near-miraculous triumph of his horse in such a facile manner, but no doubt he will be able to oil his way around it by saying the horse was all the butter, sorry, better, for the nice long rest, and had taken well to a new regime. He might've had to spread it on a bit thick, and lard some of his comments with greasy compliments... (stop it. Ed.)

Re the horsey: he had travelled ahead of the day, and stayed overnight at the course in the new Marriott Hotel. No, of course he didn't. He arrived the day before and overnighted in the stables, which perhaps Mr Watters should've done.
I'm told connections' cited a history of leg problems as a reason why the horse had fallen from grace, but that a regime including training on the beach had seen him re-find some form. He had, of course, been much better than the grade at one time when trained by Roger Charlton.

Now, don't start trying to butter me up, young Martin! (Sorry, it's irresistible - we were doing silly pun jokes for some time with it this afternoon. The name's not quite as good as Ronnie Beau-Lockes, complete with valid ROA entry card, but it does lend itself to a bit of fun.)

I like complimenting people I like, Krizon. Anyway, back on topic,... I really fancy a bird I saw on the metro today. The only problem was she was on the train going the opposite direction to me.:D

BTW, When you wrote, "but no doubt he will be able to oil his way around it by saying the horse was all the butter, sorry, better" I just presumed you was taking the michael out of the Irish accent!

Last edited:
Regarding the gamble today the trainer is obviously very capable but I wonder is a well known punter the mastermind behind these gambles.Last month at Kempton there was a horse very well backed late on while one of the fancied runners drifted like a barge.The barge set a very generous gallop allowing the confidently ridden gamble to win easily.Libel laws stop me naming names.

Not an a/w type but I picked the winner of the 3:00 so am playing up my winnings on a massively overpriced horse in the 4:30 (Little Perisher). Excellent record over 6F at Kempton and although I expect the Richard Fahey horse to win Little Perisher is worth a bob e/w. Just wish there were 8 runners!!!

Last edited:
Not an a/w type but I picked the winner of the 3:00 so am playing up my winnings on a massively overpriced horse in the 4:30 (Little Perisher). Excellent record over 6F at Kempton and although I expect the Richard Fahey horse to win Little Perisher is worth a bob e/w. Just wish there were 8 runners!!!

7.6 to place in the betfair market, 3 places.

Looks like it ran a shocker. Lucky for me I backed it at 46 about 5 mins before off and then layed it back to my stake 10 secs before the off at half the price, nothing lost. Sorry for the poor tip though! Thats more than enough a/w for me for a long while.

Last edited:
Isn't Mack's Sister a bit of a good thing in the next? Chinese Democracy finds it hard to win and Hidden Destiny has been murdered for winning a bad maiden last time. Stuffed off 55 in a handicap a few weeks ago, and up 10 lb for beating one who failed miserably again yesterday. A place lay of that should pay for your win bet.

Back