Today's Fancy

Martin - me? Take the mick out of the Irish, sure and begorrah? More than my life's worth, so it is!

Good luck with the bets, everyone. Folks decry the sand, but it does help to keep the punting eye in and certainly any win is welcome, however modest the racing. Apart from getting wedged-up, knowing your selection came in is a great feeling. However tiny my occasional wager, if the dog or horse comes in, there's a great deal of self-satisfaction (in a nice way), regardless of return.

The break has done me good and after being snowed in for the last 24 hours I am ready for a punt.Surely Rhytym Stick is a lay at odds on in the 7 o clock at Wolverhampton -don't think John Berry could train pigs to be dirty.

Hard to see him not winning. I'm a backer at 2.06.

Just seen he's much shorter now, but deservedly so imo.

Last edited:
Very little material to work with today.Zulu Principle looked fairly awkward when he ran last time out-unfortunately there doesn't appear to be enough in the race to make it aplace lay.
Nap of the day is a place lay of No Rain in the 720 at Wolverhampton -he isn't very good and lacks tactical pace.

I think Mia's Boy is a stand out bet today (Kempton 3.40). He does not often run on the all weather but has been placed in 6 of his eight runs including two wins. He was a bit unlucky last time out getting the gaps when a fast finishing fourth. Kempton is the ideal course for his style of running. I hate front runners on this track and Arteus, even if he gets a soft lead will be there to be shot at up the straight. Mia's Boy is the most likely off his current mark to mow him down.

No real excuses for Mia's Boy. He sat right off the pace but that is the way he is always ridden. Not surprised the front running Arteus was smashed to pieces.

I think the only person surprised that that Arteus was smashed to pieces after that ride is Robert Winston. A timely reminder of the - they're jockeys cus they're small, not cus they're clever - maxim.

The nap was landed in spectacular fashion with No Rain being beaten out of sight.An absolutely paceless animal who will find it hard to win a race of any description.

I get a really bad vibe about Sanctuaire in the 1250 at Exeter- I think everything is wrong for him,had to lay him at 1.95.

I get a really bad vibe about Sanctuaire in the 1250 at Exeter- I think everything is wrong for him,had to lay him at 1.95.
Did you see Nicholls column on betting.betfair.com?

"Sanctuaire, 12:50
This is a race I like to support, and I won it last year with Royal Charm. But although he will probably be a short price favourite, I don't think you will see the best of Sanctuaire here. I was in two minds whether to run him as he hasn't had the ideal preparation for this. I don't like running horses so soon after a fall - especially as he had a week just walking after Cheltenham - and the small field isn't ideal. But I have to get a run into him, and get some practice into him, and he could well run at Ascot again in a fortnight's time. At Cheltenham, he blew his race in the paddock and on the way down to the start, when he was far too free, and he needs racing to get him to improve mentally and relax. Obviously, he is very talented and can win this, but I thought it best to air my reservations beforehand."

I read it last night Rory-my interpretation was that the horse having a run to restore it's confidence was a bigger priority then winning.

Home Secretary hoses up a week too late and Copper Dock gets ran out of it for third after being backed from 14's into 9/2. A day from hell!!!

Last edited:
I think the only person surprised that that Arteus was smashed to pieces after that ride is Robert Winston. A timely reminder of the - they're jockeys cus they're small, not cus they're clever - maxim.

I agree but would you ever want to be on a front runner in that type of rsce at Kempton?

Back