Today's Fancy

I have my punting boots on and have laid the MJ newcomer at odds between 1.65 and 1.9
The trainer of Rich and Reckless was involved with Gio Ponti in America.

I'm bored, so the 4.10 at Wolverhampton tomorrow gets my attention.

8 declared runners and betting 3/1 the field, a tricky little handicap, but I would have you believe that come the off one horse will be sub 2/1, now to find it.

Tasmeem - first start for Dandy Nicholls and coming off a near 4 month break. Has a handicap mark 1lb below it's lowest and the mark it acheived a coupls of solid places on. Would have to come back to some decent form after the break after finishing last in only try on the AW at Kempton last time.

Diapason - a regualr visitor to Wolverhampton, including last time out when a half a length 2nd having been well backed - reported that saddle may have slipped forward but I don't see it cost him the race. The winner seems a decent high 60's animal, so off 74 I won't be rushing to back Diapason.

Tewin Wood N/R - a CD winner and also winner at Lingfield & Kempton indicate TW will have no worries with tomorrows surface. His win lto was in a claimer at Kempton, his previous handicap form from a mark in the mid 70's not amounting to a great deal. He has won off his current mark though and from his low draw is likely to be in and around the leaders from the off, not sure he has any in hand of his current mark to win this though.

Striker Torres - another CD winner with good recent form. His mark of 72 is unchanged from his last run where he was run out of it close home after making much of the running. That's a style he's used to good effect, although it can leave him vunerable to an opponent with a turn of pace close home, as his run behind the fast improving Hulcote Rose showed. I think he ran to better than his current mark behind that horse 3 runs ago and if he gets his own way out in front, could give them the slip.

Army of Stars - consistent runs in Sellers and last time took that into a handicap at Lingfield on his latest 3 runs for new connections. Another that it's difficult to see improving much, seems to be in and around the right mark in this tight handicap. 1st visit to Wolves since his racecourse debut, but handles Lingfield & Kempton.

Steed - won a bobbing finish on penultimate start, effectively off a mark of 50 if you take the jockeys claim into consideration, wouldn't have carried my money to follow up next time off of a mark of 61, but gained a battling success. Both these wins were at Southwell and only visit to Wolves was a 11th of 12 so doesn't encourage. Races off of 66 tomorrow and is 3/1 to complete the hatrick, shrewd connections but not for me tomorrow.

Little Luxury - dropping down in trip with first time cheekpieces tomorrow, replacing a visor that replaced the blinkers.... Had a decent run at Dundalk for previous connections, staying on over 6f, followed by a run over the mile which he dropped away in the later stages, 7f and cheekpieces enough to encourage you? Not me.

Double Carpet - a decent AW sort, runs consitently across the surfaces and wins / places in his share. Off a career high mark tomorrow and not a time to be getting involved for me, but when back to 55/56 will be worth watching out for.

This race has haunted me a couple of time, not least after it, back on the 7th Feb, but might be worth noting for the future..

After Steed's win in this race, he went on to defy a 6lb penalty 3 days later, back at Southwell, following that up again today, racing off 68 with a 12lb penalty and another convincing win.

Runner-up Double Carpet not seen out since, but ran off 61 here, highest win/place mark previously was 55, I wouldn't be convinced that the way the race was set-up didn't flatter DC and would oppose next time out off a career high mark.

Diapason follwed 3rd place here with a 3rd place today over 6f at Wolves. Seems to either be staying on over 6f or emptying over 7, but has winning form at both. Another solid run today, but may need to drop a pound or two before getting his head in front.

Army of Stars was dropped back into selling grade next time out and although well supported failed to deliver. It's sometimes difficult to get a handle on horses that flit between sellers / claimers and handicaps, but if I wouldn't be relying on AoS to bring home a winning bet for me.

Little Luxury yet to reappear and has no immediate entries.

Striker Torres was bitterly disappointing this day and I think is on a mark where he can win again, I would imagine because of his dismal showing and the way the race was run, he'll remain on it for his next run, I'll be keeping an eye out.

Tasmeem was a winner over 6f today at Wolverhampton, the race in which Diapason was 3rd. Given a much more restrained ride today, sat nicely behind the pace and quickened for off the bend. Adds further fuel to the fire that ST & T ruined their race by takling each other on at such a pace.

So, it will be interesting to see how far Steed goes, but also to hope that Double carpet is given too much credit for following him home and opposable at cramped odds next time. Striker Torres is definitley worth one more chance, in the right sort of race.

Last edited:
I have have been chinned by short heads / heads in my last three fancies (two were ew which we profitable) so luck is not too far away!

The one I like the look of today is in the Tote Gold Trophy - the most competitive race anywhere this weekend. I had originally fancied both Final Approach and Iolith who both now dont run but Bothy was my next choice and at 11/1 is skinny enough but is an EW bet IMO. He is by the same sire as Final Approach will relish the slightly more testing ground - seems suited by a flat track and strong pace and looks to have been laid out for this race. His second to Menorah in the Greatwood is probably the strongest piece of form in the field this year. Not hugely bullish about this one but it definitely worth a financial interest.;)

I have have been chinned by short heads / heads in my last three fancies (two were ew which we profitable) so luck is not too far away!

The one I like the look of today is in the Tote Gold Trophy - the most competitive race anywhere this weekend. I had originally fancied both Final Approach and Iolith who both now dont run but Bothy was my next choice and at 11/1 is skinny enough but is an EW bet IMO. He is by the same sire as Final Approach will relish the slightly more testing ground - seems suited by a flat track and strong pace and looks to have been laid out for this race. His second to Menorah in the Greatwood is probably the strongest piece of form in the field this year. Not hugely bullish about this one but it definitely worth a financial interest.;)

even though the numbers are less than usual its tricky..purely at the prices I'm backing Nearby & Palomar..and covering stakes + a bit on Soldatino

Any thoughts on Just Amazing in the last at Sandown? - been off for 300 days looks to have enough in hand if fit and trainer says:

Just Amazing: Will run in Hunter Chases prior to a tilt at the Cheltenham Foxhunters, for which he is still trying to qualify. Runs at Sandown on Friday. He needs to finish first or second there, and again in either of those positions in another race before March 1 to qualify for Cheltenham. We will see where we stand after that.

had a little on taking the breeze to place in the next...looks very tiring out there and his stamina should be brought into play..would hope to see him lead or be up there though..or will lay it off

Stay away from sharp objects. Good call.

Top stuff EC1 -I hope you held your nerve and got the best of the market.Noseda is some man for getting odds on shots beaten.

was just going to get tea but am getting drawn to laying Midnight Rider in the 4.40

have you looked at it Luke?..it doesn't look a 6f horse..has shoved head in the air last time..two decent opponents on breeding

in fact..I'm laying it :)

I want to lay Strawberrydaquiri for a place in the 620 at Meydan.I thought she was a tricky enough customer with Stoute-hardly likely to improve.

Back