Today's Fancy

The trainer of the 50/1 shot Frank Sheridan has had 11 runners in 2011 with 5 winners and 2 seconds - 4wins from 8 runs at Wolverhampton and 5 runners entered there tomorrow.

Could be way off here, but at 25/1 worth a go..

Lucky Mellor in the 2.30 Wolverhampton tomorrow. Decent enough form over the course, including a good run over the CD, dropped a couple of lbs to sneak in to this 0-75 off topweight, Neil Callan's previous 2 rides on the horse were a win and a 2nd place, seems to run well after a break of a month (last run 27th Jan), the 28's & 25's from the early prices have been nibbled at, at 25/1 we can pay to find out if the likeminds are correct.

6th, beaten 1.05L in a tight race, having traded at 3.45 IR, interesting to see a reappearance in the next 10 days or if they wait for a month again.

Lucky Mellor's Southwell 5f record is 12214. The fourth was when he was held up and resented it. Latest win off only 1 lb lower than ran of yesterday. Would like to see them send him back there next.

Have a look at Crossword 2.10 at Wolves today, he's been puzzling connections for some time as he works very hard at home and shows ability, but they can't solve why he isn't doing it on the track. He sports blinkers today and they hope it's the missing piece of the jigsaw and he can score today.

I think Tim Vaughan was having a serious attempt of going through the card on St David's Day at his local track Ffos Las today - unfortunately most of his runners look like they would have preferred he original going of good but after 53mm of rain it's now officially soft. The stable is in very good form and I still expect him to get 2 or 3 winners and a few more placed.

I'm doing all his runners 20/80 and hope it proves profitable.

Last race at Leicester is now a match, Boylesports offer 7/4 for winning margin over 6L in this Heavy ground, Skybet offer the same price for over 12L!

Last race at Leicester is now a match, Boylesports offer 7/4 for winning margin over 6L in this Heavy ground, Skybet offer the same price for over 12L!

Some insurance and a possible double win, current winning distances 45.25, stan James offer 5/6 under 62.5L, some overlap there!

The trainer of the 50/1 shot Frank Sheridan has had 11 runners in 2011 with 5 winners and 2 seconds - 4wins from 8 runs at Wolverhampton and 5 runners entered there tomorrow.

25/01/2009

UNLESS you are one of the die-hard souls who have braved the cold weather from the end of December at the all-weather tracks of Wolverhampton and Southwell, then the name of Frank Sheridan might not be that familiar.

But the man who has spent the last 25 years in Italy, 15 of them with a racing licence after being a jumps jockey, his return to these shores has developed into a hot streak.

So much so that the all-weather racing fans are checking out his runners on a regular basis. And with a record of three wins and two seconds from just six runners since he took out a British licence and moved into Helshaw Grange in Shropshire, there is little wonder his horses are already developing something of a following.

Yet had it not been for a strike in Italian racing forcing Sheridan to head for Doncaster with Icelandic, the switch might not have happened.

A winner with his first runner at Wolverhampton with Ahlawy who has since won again, Sheridan will now put his roots down in this country but the Italian influence that he has nurtured over the years still plays a major part in his operation.

He has Italian owners who have allowed their horses to come to this country and he still employs the former Italian champion jockey Fabio Branca who, like, Sheridan, has left the "desperate situation" that Italian racing now finds itself in and has moved to Ireland with David Wachman.

But it was in August that Sheridan's name first hit the winner's enclosure in this country when Icelandic won a race at Warwick on his British debut over seven furlongs.

Sheridan explained: "At the time there was a strike going on in Italian racing and although it is now over, the situation over there is desperate and very political.

"The tracks are being funded by slot machines. That can't last forever.

"No-one bets on horseracing anymore.

At one time you could only have a bet on horses but everyone knows how fanatical the Italians are about their football and that's all they bet on now - and using the slot machines in the bookies.

"The betting industry is all about football and there is nothing to go into racing's prize money apart from the seven per cent they get from the slot machines.

"And when they go in the bookies all they do is play the slot machines.

And there is too much hassle over there anyway. I will be staying here because racing is desperate in Italy. There are only ever about three people at some tracks."

It was fellow trainer James Unett who persuaded Sheridan to try his luck in this country.

Sheridan said: " It really took off with Icelandic doing so well over here in August.

We stayed over here and then he won a listed race at Doncaster. It was then that people started taking notice.

Sheridan has trained under both codes in Italy but at the moment he just has horses to run on the Flat but he added: "I would love to have a couple of jumpers''

Although Sheridan has Italian owners, he has also recruited English ones although he accepts that in the current economic climate that this is difficult at the moment.

But there is little doubt that Sheridan is rapidly making a name for himself.

Date unknown for the following stats:

• Frank Sheridan is a very profitable trainer on the all weather. Backing all his runners to a £1 stake in the past 10 years has returned a profit of £103 (104%). His A/E value stat is good at 1.15 which indicates that, in general, there is value backing his runners.
• The strike rate of 16.2% is much better than average. In the past 12 months it decreased to 13.3%.
• The trainer last won a race yesterday. The longest losing streak was 27 in February 2010
• The most recent biggest priced winner was with Ahlawy(IRE) who won at odds of 66-1 in October 2010.
• He is much better on left handed courses, performs better in the midlands and much better in middle distance races.
• 31% of his winners have come from one jockey: F Branca.

I'm sure I've just put the Indian sign over him now. :blink:

Chelsea's Striker Torres is yet to score, but tomorrow his namesake gets a chance to put that right...

5.30 Wolverhampton

Last time he ran I was very keen on the chance of Striker Torres and the market confirmed my view that he had a winning chance. He was backed from around 7/2 into 9/4f, before finishing tailed off 6th of 7! There was more to this though, as he was involved in a quite ridiculous early pace duel with the other horse (Tasmeem) finishing even further behind. Since that race, the winner (Steed) has won again twice, under a penalty and a double penalty, the runner-up (Double Carpet) won off of a career high winning mark next time out. The 3rd came out and ran a decent race, possibly over a trip a furlong short, behind the horse involved with ST in the pace duel, Tasmeem.

So the race has worked out well, even if the run itself was poor, what about tomorrow.

Good news is that he has a good draw in 2 for a pace setter. The visor he's worn for his last 8 starts is replaced by first time cheekpieces, bit of an unknown element there. His record at Wolverhampton looks like this:

7f Class 6 - 2nd (63 OR) 1st (63)
7f Class 5 - 6th (72) LTO
7f Class 4 - 2nd (72) 2nd (72)

He races in tomorrow's class 4 off the same mark of 72 and if we ignore his last run, I think he has a good chance. So, the opposition?

Coolminx - AW debut, taking a drop in class, races from an all time low OR, has seen support this evening from 14/1 into single figures, difficult to quantify.
Alhaban - another dropped in class (SHD 2nd to Mastercraftsman in the Railway stakes as a 2yo!) but hasn't shown any indication that he is about to reproduce that sort of form for these connections.
Mr Macattack - meets ST on 2lb better terms for their meeting in December when ST finished 3/4L in front. Hasn't fired in 2 runs since though.
Khanivorous - likely to be in and around the pace, making Wolves debut but has run well at Lingfield & Kempton, may need to drop a couple of pounds in the handicap to win again.
Methaaly - mainly campaigned over 5 & 6f recently, though has a 7f victory to his name at Wolves in '09. This is unlikely to be a slow run 7f, so may stretch his stamina.
Standpoint - dropping back in trip from last couple of runs, has some good historical form, but don't see him popping up tomorrow.
Rubenstar - an 8yo who has hit a rich vein of form since the turn of the year, winning a couple of apprentice handicaps before coming with a late run to win comfortably last time. Has rocketed back up the handicap though and needs to keep finding improvement to score tomorrow, likely to be held up and challenge late.
Jordaura - a seemingly out of form performer at the moment, one of the "where did that come from" brigade for me, if it wins tomorrow.
Smalljohn - beat ST by 3/4L when they met over CD in January, ST now 2lb better off though jockey on Smalljohn claims a useful 5lb, has the car park draw tomorrow.. A danger and 15/2 would be a big price if it was better drawn.
Avonrose - drops down in trip after being beaten at odds on in a handicap at Southwell last time, although I expect a decent pace, I'm hoping it won't feel like the stamina test that Avonrose may well need, much too skinny at 4/1 for me.

I can see Striker Torres being able to make the pace from stall 2 and hopefully without the sort of pressure he had last time. Coolminx is an unknown quantity for me, but must be respected if the early market support (14/'s into 8/1) continues. Rubenstar may keep improving, his win last time was certainly cosy and Smalljohn is only cut from the shortlist because of his draw.

The 9/1 with Hills was hoovered up by the cleaners this evening, but I think better than the 7/1 & 13/2 currently on offer may be around first thing tomorrow. Hopefully no excuses tomorrow and Striker Torres will finally get off the mark.....

Not big by any stretch of the imagination so you didn't miss much - the SP was evs but he was available at 11/8 and 6/4 in the morning.

I'll be having a small interest in GLENDUE in the Ludlow 2.30.

Henderson's record in novice hurdles at this course since 2008 is 7 wins from 14 runs and a return of 130+%.

Glendue made his racecourse debut here last month and ran well until weakening to finish 6th. There is 9.8 available on Betfair at the moment.

I see that he wears a tongue-tie today and I am assured that he has had his "pre-race check" from their new vet!:ninja:

So all things are go for this afternoon.

Wealth warning - I don't think I've managed even a place with the yolks/yokes that I have put up on this thread.

:(:(The losers keep on flowing.

Glendue apparently well fancied and backed into 9/2 second choice was never put into the race.

Whether he could or not is difficult to say but I don't think the tongue-tie worked.

Seem to remember Chestnut Annie being pretty useful in this sphere last year, runs in the 4.50, anyone know of its well being this year? Im looking at you IS?

Back