Today's Fancy

Anyone give me some encouragement for supporting ALEXANDER POPE in the Gallinule?

Is he likely to appreciate the ten furlongs?

Difficult to get too excited about the cards in Britain today but for a little bit of interest I'm going to suggest an each-way double at Kelso:

STRONGHAVEN 2.15 and

FREDDIE BROWN 4.20.

Both are chasing types really but could run into places at least.

well done, 9/1 and 3/1 winners and a 5/2 third

Yep, Col, I was in the process of working out the return from the double with the big 'orse in front. He run out of petrol pretty spectacularly but little fish are better than nowt.

Thanks for noticing!:<3:

OTB-I will tell you the reality of it.I had been scanning the entries for Apache every week since his last run planning to lay him for as much as possible.
The wife announced during the week that we need a new bed and fridge.I love winning money for stuff like that as opposed to paying for it at the end of the month.
Anyway last night I withdrew the price of the bed from Betfair with the plan that I would lay Apache heavily today.I was slightly behind for most of the day when I took the notion to lay Peppertree Lane and then get the money back with a place lay of Together.
In the space of 15 minutes the day had fallen apart.Ronan o Garas horse was one of the most underpriced horses of the year but my nerve went.
The lay on Apache got me back level for the day but it was a good weekend that could have been a great weekend.

Anyone give me some encouragement for supporting ALEXANDER POPE in the Gallinule?

Is he likely to appreciate the ten furlongs?

Difficult to get too excited about the cards in Britain today but for a little bit of interest I'm going to suggest an each-way double at Kelso:

STRONGHAVEN 2.15 and

FREDDIE BROWN 4.20.

Both are chasing types really but could run into places at least.

well done Colin..superb stuff :cool:

Fair play Luke, that was a shite maiden, the stable were on for a five-timer, Moore waited to take the later flight, the money was down, he had it in the book and you layed him!! Balls and respect! You will sleep very soundly in that new bed I would imagine. Your Busy had been unbelieveably short his last two runs. Ruby trying to do ROG a favour - my arse!!:lol:

From my perspective the best thing about today is everyone seems to be blaming the jockey but this is a horse who traded at 1.18 and 1.2 in his previous 2 races.
I would say that the form of his races to date is below average but people seem to be blinded by the fact that he is still entered in the Derby.

The late money for Your Busy was relentless and they were like lemmings in running.A horse that couldn't get competetive last time out.
I'm sure ROG wanted to impress everyone in Limerick but the horse was much too short.

Well done, Collywobbles - I loved FREDDIE BROWN. Don't think I've seen him before, so picked him out from the pack due to his lovely lop-ears. He seems an utterly genuine and talented type - just ran out of a bit of puff late on, but still a very gallant third.

Last edited:
I've been tilting at windmills recently with big priced yokes that have all turned out to be yokes (Parker's Mill especially disappointing after the market spoke in his favour).

One last chance for a big priced winner - On The Loose tonight in the 6:50 Sligo at 20/1. It's a pig's race and this fella has shown me enough that he can win one of these with the softening ground in his favour. He has had a couple of "stretchers" before tonight after his recent wind operation and has been working especially well (for an admittedly moderate horse) in the last two weeks. Not a big investment required to pay for a few drinks should today be a going day for him.:cool:

I'm sweet on Ger Lyons' Reasons Unknown in the 3yo handicap in Clonmel this evening. First caught my running on strongly off a slow gallop in a decent Leopardstown handicap last month and has since backed that effort up with a decent second at Navan and subsequently when fifth at Roscommon (made all in a well run 12f handicap before failing to see out the trip). Back at 10f tonight I think he'll take a hell of a lot of beating in what looks a weak enough affair.

His main danger on form looks to be Golden Starlight, on the basis of that one's Gowran second to Cheers Buddy. He got the run of things on that occasion though I thought and looked to have a seriously questionable attitude when asked to go and win his race. Far from certain to stay 10f on pedigree as well.

The rest look rubbish and whilst there may be a massive improver amongst them I'm more than happy to take my chances at 3's and have had a pretty chunky bet accordingly.

Nice draw, weak field as you say trackside528, gets his ground, johnny up. Ticks a lot of boxes. The two negatives I'd personally have are that i think he's a better horse on a flat track and the horse can be a bit in and out. At the price, he's a bet. But I won't be steaming in.

The Whitsun Cup (now a Class 3 handicap???) that closes the card at Sandown this evening looks an interesting heat.

Two that catch my eye are BRICK RED (9/1) trained by Andrew Balding and JULIENAS (11/4) of Walter Swinburn's both are dropping down a grade after running nice races last time. Swinburn has had six winners in the last eight days and 'the yard is on fire':blink:. The Balding yard has only had four winners in the last five days and with their last two runners winning they are on a 'hat-trick'.

I'm sweet on Ger Lyons' Reasons Unknown in the 3yo handicap in Clonmel this evening.

I've followed you in at 5/2. My only other bet on the card was a minimum bet e/w @ 8/1 on Chebona Bula (Clonmel 7.05) off top weight but with the talented Sam James claiming 5lb. He was an early mover in the market last night from 14/1 so I'm taking on trust that it was 'clever' money.

I keep looking at Fury tonight. Seems a fair price.

Neebras seemed very well suited by the step up to a mile at Newmarket and the time was very good indeed considering he was eased quite considerably close home. I'd much prefer him.

Back