Today's Fancy

Crazy fixture list!

Who says there is too much racing?

Six flat meetings in Britain today - none tomorrow!?

This was meant to be a separate thread but may as well leave it here now.

Last edited:
The Newbury meeting is just a chance of a booze-up, terrible card for such a course.

Somehow or other there should be some rationalization of fixtures.

How close are Chester and Haydock?

A great day's racing for a handicap fan. That said I'm really looking forward to seeing Overdose even though I can't desert Tangerine Trees(ew).
Our Jonathan is in good nick and can win at Chester 4.00 whilst Russian Spirit can take the 3.30 at Haydock . Frontline Girl appeals in the last at Haydock

I've been looking at the two mile handicaps at the Curragh today for close to an hour now and still haven't much of a clue!

Aznavour is understandably favourite for the 4.50, but I'd much prefer to back (and have backed) Moran Gra to uphold the form of their last meeting at Leopardstown at more than double the price despite a 10lb swing in the weights. That form looks solid to my eyes and the Morgan horse is potentially still progressive and certain to relish the ground (the quicker the better). I have a suspicion that there won't be a huge amount of pace on and thus it may pay to be relatively handy. With that in mind Simla Sunset could well run a bigger race than his price suggests though I just have a suspicion he is just too high in the handicap at the minute to be winning this.

Any thoughts on the card?

I've been looking at the two mile handicaps at the Curragh today for close to an hour now and still haven't much of a clue!

Aznavour is understandably favourite for the 4.50, but I'd much prefer to back (and have backed) Moran Gra to uphold the form of their last meeting at Leopardstown at more than double the price despite a 10lb swing in the weights. That form looks solid to my eyes and the Morgan horse is potentially still progressive and certain to relish the ground (the quicker the better). I have a suspicion that there won't be a huge amount of pace on and thus it may pay to be relatively handy. With that in mind Simla Sunset could well run a bigger race than his price suggests though I just have a suspicion he is just too high in the handicap at the minute to be winning this.

Any thoughts on the card?

I really like Lightening Stricks in this - he got murdered for his beating of Dahindar last time - but he is still well in off 93 here and maybe a group horse in a handicap - 9/1 ew is a very fair price...:ninja:

I really like Lightening Stricks in this - he got murdered for his beating of Dahindar last time - but he is still well in off 93 here and maybe a group horse in a handicap - 9/1 ew is a very fair price...:ninja:
Would be all over Lightning Stricks in this if they were running it at Dundalk - as it is he's unproven on turf and running off 93.

A great day's racing for a handicap fan. That said I'm really looking forward to seeing Overdose even though I can't desert Tangerine Trees(ew).
Our Jonathan is in good nick and can win at Chester 4.00 whilst Russian Spirit can take the 3.30 at Haydock . Frontline Girl appeals in the last at Haydock

Great stuff. Hope you took an early price on Our Jonathan. Was very well backed.

Not being contrary but I think Passion for Gold will come on a lot from Lingfield and has a nice chance at 5/1.

Not being contrary but I think Passion for Gold will come on a lot from Lingfield and has a nice chance at 5/1.

9.2 on the exchanges, I thought id have a small interest bet, worked out well, nice shout. Poor enough ride on Steel Tango i thought.

Have laid Skillful at just over 1.6 in the 750 at Lingers.For as long as I have followed racing horses running in these colours have been disappointing.Not very scientific but good enough for me.

Not a great day today - missed the two gambles in the handicaps at the Curragh where both could have been backed.

The two I like ew tomorrow are Parkers Mill in an open looking Gallinaule and Vivacious Vivienne in the mile and a half handicap.

Parkers is still available at 10's and has a bit to prove but has a huge reputation at home. He did it nicely the last day at Tipp when there was a welter of money for him and the second won snugly since. There is no world beaters in this and the step back up to 10f will suit. He may make into an Irish Derby horse and is ew value at 10's.

VV ran a blinder in a G3 last time but escaped a penalty - she is a fine filly who knows how to win and is in the form if her life. A premier handicap is well within her compass and there are worse 16/1 shots running tomorrow.

Last edited:
I think if Goldikova is even 70% fit, she'll win the Ispahan today but I do think Ransom Note can run into a place. 9f on quick ground looks ideal for him and he's no longer just a handicapper based on his Sefton run. I think at 20/1 he's well worth an EW play in the race, especially with negative vibes over DT.

He could be an even bigger price on the PMU.

Parkers is still available at 10's and has a bit to prove but has a huge reputation at home. He did it nicely the last day at Tipp when there was a welter of money for him and the second won snugly since. There is no world beaters in this and the step back up to 10f will suit. He may make into an Irish Derby horse and is ew value at 10's.

Into 6/1 now

Anyone give me some encouragement for supporting ALEXANDER POPE in the Gallinule?

Is he likely to appreciate the ten furlongs?

Difficult to get too excited about the cards in Britain today but for a little bit of interest I'm going to suggest an each-way double at Kelso:

STRONGHAVEN 2.15 and

FREDDIE BROWN 4.20.

Both are chasing types really but could run into places at least.

Last edited:
I think Gleann na nDochais (means 'glen of hope') is overpriced at 20/1 in the novice hurdle at Kelso at 2.15. His 2nd place in a decent point to point at Dromohan looks like the best piece of form in the race if he can translate it to hurdles. The winner of that event was Harpsy Cord, who would easily win this race, but it's more important to note that Gleann na nDochais finished in front of two subsequent winners.

His hurdles debut didn't offer much encouragement, but that was over 2m5f, while today's distance is only 2m1f. It's a speculative bet, but it might pay off at big odds in what looks to be a rather poor race.

I have been waiting to lay Apache since his last run where he travelled well before finding little at the business end.He has missed several entries over the last month.
Obviously the stable is in red hot form
but Curragh maidens aren't easy to win and Apache could be soft.

Back