Today's racing

Had a tracker horse called Officer Sydney with Meehan who has recently gone over to Elliot, runs in the 7.15 at Roscommon this evening. What's the oppo like?

This is only the second juvenile hurdle in Ireland this year. Bachelors Hall did a preview of the first one on his Juvenile Hurdlers thread. A few of tonight's runners ran in that race, including the favourite, so it might be useful to have a little look.

Will Officer Sydney stay though? Normally you need to get 10f on the flat to be able to cope with 2m over hurdles but previous trainer Brian Meehan brought him back to a mile after trying him over 10f on his seasonal debut. Presumably the Elliott stable bought him to go hurdling so they must think he'll get the trip.

Last edited:
A painfully honest interview on ATR just now with Andrew Mac, explaining that he's been riding less well than he used to because of back pain and not getting the rides any more. I hope he does very well as a trainer.

He was interviewed in Irish Field at weekend along same lines

Will Officer Sydney stay though? Normally you need to get 10f on the flat to be able to cope with 2m over hurdles but previous trainer Brian Meehan brought him back to a mile after trying him over 10f on his seasonal debut. Presumably the Elliott stable bought him to go hurdling so they must think he'll get the trip.

Won nicely despite airing a couple of flights.

No, I knocked him off my tracker after his poor run at Newmarket. I suppose a return to Windsor and a step back down to 5f saw him return to form.

The Clearys won the memorial race for Sean this evening, father training it and brother riding it. Should have been a hint in itself. Fair play to them.

He did, and thanks to your post I had a little bet on him when I saw there was money for him.

Nice. Had just a five spot on just so I could watch the race but it's always nice to see a tracker win, even when I'm not properly on.

John Gosden's Jazzi Top runs at Deauville today in the Prix de la Nonette, a Gr2 10f race for 3yo fillies. The ground is officially heavy but skies were clear overnight as far as I know and should remain so today.

None of the field have run on such ground before.

Jazzi Top's dam, Zee Zee Top, won the Prix de l'Opera on holding ground, and her sister Izzy Top (by Pivotal) won the Pretty Polly on soft to heavy, so maybe she can cope with today's conditions?

Last edited:
Gordon Elliot has no runners at Killarney this evening but he runs two fancied ones at Worcester. Roddy's Buachaill Alainn is also a fancied runner there, in the second race.

Meanwhile the Listed race at Killarney makes a nice warm-up to the main event of the night, Apache Gold's run in the apprentice handicap.

Last edited:
Gordon Elliot has no runners at Killarney this evening but he runs two fancied ones at Worcester. Roddy's Buachaill Alainn is also a fancied runner there, in the second race. .

Interesting to see how the John Ferguson trained horse gets on in the 6:30 too Grey.

He's rated as high as some of the trainers newcomers from the flat, I'm taking him on with Detroit Blues who looks a nice price, even considering a poor run last time (too bad to be true). Two months off and a chance is taken with Detroit Blues. Good luck to all the others concerned.

I can see the case for Detroit Blues, marble, but he's drifting badly. I'll have a small something on him but would have been more interested if the market indicated greater confidence.

You were spot on there, Grey. 7's when I was looking, drifted to 14's. Apologies for that.

Good thread, btw.

Surprising how Spark Plug started at just 5/1 last time as the time before he fell when clipping heels at Royal Ascot. Lets hope he can do him justice tomorrow at Sandown 2:50, the time he beat GM Hopkins makes him worthy of a rating of 107. I think he could be value at 12/1 and the step up in trip to 10 furlongs will either make or break him. I'll be interested to see what Brian Meehan thinks about his chance in the paper tomorrow. I'm hoping there'll be no big drift on Spark Plug:).

Last edited:
Some great racing all over today. Arabian Comet got a shocking ride last time, so they put a real jockey on her this time. I'll have that with Wadi Al Hattawi. Others due a change of luck today are BoldLass and Green Light.
Lumiere's maiden win has been crabbed, but Shadow Hunter ran well last week. Think 5f again today is too sharp for her,but course may suit.
Having no bet, but really want to see Sasparella again at Deauville. Very impressive in her maiden last month against some other fancy sorts

Donnacha O'Brien is riding Outspoken and Fields Of Athenry at York today.

Perhaps Joseph has chosen to be at The Curragh instead for the debut of Coolmore, a full sister to Gleneagles. His other fancied mount is Ballydoyle.

Last edited:
Back