Today's racing

There looks to have been a bit of a gamble on Phil Kirby's unraced Tara Time in the bumper at Perth
The price has long gone now though, 12/1 into 7/2 Atm.

There looks to have been a bit of a gamble on Phil Kirby's unraced Tara Time in the bumper at Perth
The price has long gone now though, 12/1 into 7/2 Atm.

Oh, that sounds good. I backed that earlier this morning. Only one win today, so I'm still down....:cool:

Anybody else just catch that Geraghty ride at Killarney?

Fantastic stuff.

Tremendous riding.

BG even manages to conjure a win out of the old rascal Colour Squadron. Would have taken some courage to back that one at 4/6. Even in that grade I wouldn't have been surprised to see him find a way to lose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The money was correct but Nicky's a tough man to oppose with his fancied bumper horses.

The money was correct but Nicky's a tough man to oppose with his fancied bumper horses.

Oh well,,... but I'd never be afraid of a Richard's horse in a bumper.
More good racing tomorrow from Ireland and the return of Now or Never, though think I'll just watch that one and get the money back on something else.

I was on course BH.
Tremendous ride and shows that JP has invested wisely; the old pony club/hunting training paid off in spades.
Good to see Barry Connell get a nice win from Golantilla and local Eugene o Sullivan bag a big prize with A Decent Excuse.

Bawina looks a solid ew bet in the Jean Romanet. Has a terrific record on this kind of ground and is easily forgiven her latest run; sprint finish on going a deal faster than the official 'good' (3.28 under standard).
Has only 1 try at this distance - went too quick from outside draw and beaten less than 2l in last year's Diane - but has a pedigree stuffed with stamina, and you couldn't kick her out of the first 3 in this.

Last edited:
Rather have the winner at 4s. Ribbons has run really well on both her starts this season, neither on ground she relishes. Gets her conditions today.

Racegoers to Wednesday and Thursday's Bellewstown meeting will be able to see a play about Barney Curley's Yellow Sam coup at the track 40 years ago. I'm sure some of you will be shocked.

Bellewstown Racecourse has teamed up with Drogheda Arts Centre to stage a new theatrical production based on one of the most famous and dramatic betting coups of all time. The staged production is based on events that took place at Bellewstown Racecourse in 1975 when professional gambler Barney Curley staged a betting coup which netted in the region of €300,000.

The world premiere of the drama, which was written by Colm Maher, directed by Paul Hayes and performed by Padraic McIntyre and Gerard Adlum, is called ‘Yellow Sam’ after the horse at the centre of the coup. It will be performed at the race meeting on August 26[SUP]th[/SUP] and 27[SUP]th [/SUP]before racing at 3pm and after racing at 7pm.

The play celebrates the 40th anniversary of the events of that famous race meeting when Barney Curley asked dozens of his friends to place bets of between £50 and £300 each on Yellow Sam in betting shops throughout the country just before the start of the race.

Central to the success of Curley’s plan was the fact that there was only one phone at the track in those days. A colleague of Barney’s made several calls to keep the phone engaged for as long as possible in the minutes prior to the off to ensure that the on-course bookies were oblivious of all the money being wagered on Yellow Sam who won at 20/1.

Barney Curly is expected to attend the 40[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary celebrations along with Yellow Sam’s jockey on the day, Mick Furlong. Nick Townsend, author of a book on the subject, ‘The Sure Thing’ will also be in attendance. The original phone box and telephone used in the 1975 betting coup will be on display at the two-day meeting.

Five flat meetings on today in the UK with no jumps meetings, but 2 flat meetings and 3 jumps meetings tomorrow

http://www.irishracing.com/news?prid=132624&headline=Dempsey-hit-with-fourteen-day-ban

Luke Dempsey attempted to weigh out for his ride on Blackandamber Vic last night minus the crotch strap of his body protector. He was going to put up overweight of over 3lbs, something he'd already been in trouble for at Wexford last year, so no doubt he was keen to avoid a repeat offence. Unfortunately for him when weighing out for a second time, with the crotch strap now restored to its rightful place as part of his tack(le), the clerk of the scales found he had instead removed the girth from his saddle. He now has a 14 day ban.

You'd imagine the stewards asking him did he not realise the body protector was for his own safety, and that the crotch strap was there for a very good reason. Perhaps he replied that he didn't give a b****x?

But what concerns me most is how did the clerk of the scales detect the offence in the first place?

Last edited:
Racegoers to Wednesday and Thursday's Bellewstown meeting will be able to see a play about Barney Curley's Yellow Sam coup at the track 40 years ago. I'm sure some of you will be shocked.

This was the telephone box in question and will be back "in position" today

[
Barneys%20Box_zpseq5fchia.jpg

Altruistic runs at Bellewstown for my old buddy Tom Hogan in the last race.
Should he win Tom will have saddled a winner at every Irish racecourse.
Pity there is no race for Gordon Lord Byron but all the best to him.

Aimhirgin Lass has her handicap debut tonight at Tipperary in the colours of the President of Ireland. The colours are used for horses owned and raced by the Irish National Stud, which is a rare enough occurrence. The Stud is owned in turn by the State, so in effect she is owned by the people of Ireland.

No doubt that's why she's favourite for tonight's race.

Regarding pronunciation, a reasonable approximation of Aimhirgin is 'owergeen' (where ower is pronounced to rhyme with 'sour')

Killian Leonard rode his first winner at Tipperary tonight.
A Banteer lad his mother is a cousin of mine but alas his father is no longer with us.
A good lad in pony races he is with Ger Lyons ( pronounced Lyons, like the tea) and is built like a jockey (for a change)
Wishing him all the best.

As Jason Weaver said on ATR, he handled himself brilliantly in the interview afterwards, seems a nice lad.

Meanwhile the cruel Malicious Intent left it as late as possible before denying victory for the people by doing Aimhirgin Lass on the line.

I've seldom seen horses go down to the start as gingerly as they're doing at Ffos Las today. Luke Morris said earlier it's the softest ground he's ever ridden on.

No evening racing to watch after work for the first time in months. The surest sign yet that summer is nearly over.

How about .....................
Delaware
Finger Lakes
Fort Erie
Mountaineer
Parx
Presque Isle

All of them betable and free to view on Betfair Video. :D

Broaden your horsey horizons, lad ! :)

Most of those tracks are about as appealing as trolley racing in a warehouse.

Last edited:
Back