Triumph Hurdle 2012

On The Bridle

At the Start
Saddler's Risk shot to prominence on Saturday with an impressive win at Kempton and Dessie Hughes gave a reasonably upbeat interview regarding Minsk on AtTheRaces yesterday. I personally cannot see the current favourite Baby Mix featuring and have included Minsk in some ante post bets.
He has the size and scope to be a decent hurdler, ended up off an OR of 106 showing serious improvement throughout the year on the flat and has schooled very well by all accounts. He has been a bit of a talking horse throughout the winter and cannot wait to see him debut over sticks with his intended target being the Grade 1 in Leopardstown in early February.

Group 1 winner from the flat running today in the first at Plumpton. 9/2, surely this is gone past already??!!! (Zafisio)

Group 1 winner from the flat running today in the first at Plumpton. 9/2, surely this is gone past already??!!! (Zafisio)

You're conveniently forgetting he's been run over by a total of 75.5 lengths on it's last four runs.

You mean already gone past his best? His best form is from years ago. I wouldn't touch him today, he's not bred for it.

My post was made in jest....flat ratings can mean sfa when taken out of context. This lad hasnt been the same in the last two years at all.

My post was made in jest....flat ratings can mean sfa when taken out of context. This lad hasnt been the same in the last two years at all.

You do realise we take all your posts at face value. Why would a good catholic lad like you jest?

Jesus, what a tough crowd; it was his first run over hurdles. Many a horse has lost their way on the flat, only to be galvanised* by the jumping game.

* Running count of times "galvanised" ued by BtB in 2012: 1 out of a target of 332.

Jesus, what a tough crowd; it was his first run over hurdles. Many a horse has lost their way on the flat, only to be galvanised* by the jumping game.

* Running count of times "galvanised" ued by BtB in 2012: 1 out of a target of 332.

When a horse is run over three times in a row chances are (unless it's stepping into handicap company) it will get run over again.

Interestingly a half brother to ZAFISIO was knocked down to the blue bin:

B, C, y
Invincible Spirit (Zafonic) 220,000 GNS John Ferguson Bloodstock 05Oct

Last edited:
Grumeti into joint favourite in some books now for the Triumph. Ladbrokes in particular seem keen to avoid him. Didnt see the race but by all accounts he was well clear when he slithered to the ground. Does not seem a remarkable year for juveniles but maybe we haven't seen the winner out yet....

Minsk not entered for the Grade 1 at the weekend :eek:

From a couple of weeks ago....

Dessie Hughes, who trains the former John Oxx star, said: "I've been delighted with him and he has been in fabulous form.
"He could go to Leopardstown for the Grade 1 there next month and if he needs another week or so, there is a Grade 3 at Fairyhouse on February 25."

From Boylesports....

"The first of the Grade 1s to be staged is the opener on the card (1:05pm), the Spring Juvenile Hurdle. A total of 28 horses have stood their ground at the latest declaration stage, 21 of them being previous winners.
One horse that will miss the race, though, is the Dessie Hughes-trained Minsk, who will instead head to Fairyhouse on 15 February. He won last season’s Irish Cesarewitch from a mark of 93 and is rated as an exciting hurdling prospect"

Back