TV coverage

Must say, I thought the Swinburn tribute was a mixture of condensed milk and pish. Insincere shite.

The rest of the programme today was worse.

Must say, I thought the Swinburn tribute was a mixture of condensed milk and pish. Insincere shite.

Surprised they didn't call in fat Al. They probably don't want to hammer out new contracts two months before closing.

Last edited:
Farcical - if punters cant see the race course whats the reason for running? It might be OK whilst the jockeys are out on course but if you cant see the finish line from the rails then why run? Its not showing racing in a good light (no pun intended!)

Busy betting day for me but a total anticlimax as unable to see the races. IMO as a TV viewer meetings at Ascot and Haydock should have been cancelled. Possibly it was worthwhile if on course though I doubt it..Intermittent commentary,or none at all, I made a modest profit and was close to a worthwhile one ( O Daddy!) but minimal enjoyment.

Unfortunately with fog it comes and goes, although the last race at Haydock might have been an exception.

Busy betting day for me but a total anticlimax as unable to see the races. IMO as a TV viewer meetings at Ascot and Haydock should have been cancelled. Possibly it was worthwhile if on course though I doubt it..Intermittent commentary,or none at all, I made a modest profit and was close to a worthwhile one ( O Daddy!) but minimal enjoyment.

I was Ascot, couldn't see anything really. Neither could the commentator. Although jockeys apparently said visibility was fine for them, not for the viewing public.

There are some excellent review shows at present on RUK.

Today was/is the Cheltenham festival. 6 hours of non stop replay, summarised post race analysis and interviews. It's in again at 11:30 tomorrow.

Aintree later tonight and there's also some stuff for the flat lovers over the next couple of days.

I have the full programs recorded from March but it's much better having a single compressed program.

So as well as being a shite commentator, Thommo is also responsible for prolonging the agony of C4R's hackneyed, cliched, clubby bilge, for longer than was necessary? ?

Cheers, mate.

Last edited:
Highlight of C4's coverage from the last 30 odd years of horse racing from some of todays participants. It appears most have short term memories, the floor manager went for Paul Nicholls getting 1 in some quiz. Tom Segal went for Aidan Coleman falling off his horse at a fence in the Grand National and to top the lot Graham Cunnigham went for that shambles of a stewards enquiry following the 2015 Leger when the stewards got it completely wrong. Jesus Christ we can't have missed much!

And Rishi Persad thought today was the last day's coverage!

Last edited:
I missed yesterday's final show, Anyone else see it? Did they go out in style?

I missed yesterday's final show, Anyone else see it? Did they go out in style?

It was okay and they tried their best, especially Lucky but it suffered heavily from the fact that for the majority of the 32 years it was produced by a different company and it appeared as though - with the odd 5 second exception - if it didn't happen after 2012 it didn't happen.

We talk about recency bias and this was it at it's most apparent.

No racing on terrestial tv tomorrow Sat 31st Dec but RacingUK is free to view if of interest.

Racing UK is the only place to watch live coverage from Saturday’s meetings at Newbury and Warwick and you can watch it absolutely free!
We will be free-to-air from 10:30am on Saturday, starting with our racing preview programme, Mark Your Card, then will be live from the Berkshire course from 11:30am with the day’s live racing. We will be featuring one of Newbury’s premier racedays which includes the Grade 1 Betfred Challow Hurdle.
The Challow Hurdle has seen some famous winners in the past including the great Denman, Fingal Bay and last year’s winner Barters Hill.
How to watch
Watch full coverage from Newbury's Betfred Challow Hurdle Day and Warwick's New Year's Eve raceday for free on Sky 432, Virgin Media 536 and online via racinguk.com.

Last edited:
Back