TV coverage

Nice winner in what looks like a good horse for Roger Loughran today.

delighted for him.

That Ladbrokes ad really bothers me. They weren't long relenting on their recent tweet about the Sky Sports darts presenter aswell.

jokeshop

That Ladbrokes ad really bothers me.

You're far from being the only one. Some people at Leopardstown today were asking why the jockeys' association doesn't intervene.

Dark thought: Maybe he's getting paid for it?

Agree with Luke. Nothing to be ashamed about for racing fans . Sad and all as it was, we all know it happens unfortunately. Trying to educate the greater public is no harm for the long term imo. RIP Nicholls Canyon & Zabana.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I think there is less of the fluffy bunny sentimentality in Ireland regarding the deaths of animals.

Balakani being muleish and refusing to start in Limerick 2.10 today. Hugh Cahill on RTE asks Ted Walsh on his policy if a horse behaved like this at home.

Ted: "We had a water pistol and we'd just give him a good dart between the cheeks of the arse and that'd shift him"

HC: What would you put in the pistol?

TW: Just Water.

Last edited:
There was a wonderful series on tv a few years ago where they post mortemed a few different species - they did a racehorse and went into how their legs and tendons were so fragile etc - it was incredible to watch. More things like that should happen - treated sensitively an awful lot of education could happen for the general public

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a wonderful series on tv a few years ago where they post mortemed a few different species - they did a racehorse and went into how their legs and tendons were so fragile etc - it was incredible to watch. More things like that should happen - treated sensitively an awful lot of education could happen for the general public

I would worry that it might have the opposite effect and start an outcry for the breeding racehorses to be stopped altogether as being cruel, in much the same way that certain breeds of dog are regarded as being cruel (eg bulldogs etc with breathing issues). I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination to foresee cries of, "If fragility is the result of breeding it's tantamount to cruelty", etc.

That’s the problem isn’t it - it only takes one lunatic set ( step forward Animal Aid !) to take it and twist it as they do so many things...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you need to be part of animal aid to be distressed at the sight of a flailing leg (Montana Belle yesterday for example). It upsets me to the extent that it does occasionally make me question the sport - having loved it for as long as I can remember. Not that this was the case of Nicholls Canyon, and racing deaths are something that I've mostly come to come to terms with as part of the game. However, that is very different to highlighting it gratuitously. Absolutely unnecessary to show the fall, which had no bearing on the highlights of the race.

In fact, I think Ted Walsh glories in a certain Irish feckem-they-are-only-horses-at-the-end-of-the-day attitude to racing - I'm old enough to remember his ride on Attitude Adjuster to win the Foxhunters in 86 - 'tore rashers off him' I think was the expression he used. The folksy 'arent the brits soft over there' is fine for tv, but its a thread that runs through Irish sport from hunting, coursing and rubs off on racing.

Show Nicholls Canyon winning the stayers for 20 seconds instead of him falling/dying.

I see Richard Pugh got a couple of races on RTE on Lexus day. Not watched RTE racing in a good while so not sure if he has gotten the gig before, but he is top class. Great commentator, in depth P2P / pedigree knowledge, and a genuine enthusiasm that comes through.

Looks full time now. He is good. Proper point enthusiast and plenty of knowledge.

I'd say Ted will want Ruby to take his spot when he leaves the screen.

Mikey Fogarty done well for his first time on tv

Yes. Thought Ted was being more than a bit precious.

Good to see RTE spreading the goodies around. McNamara is a good addition. I know Tony O'Hehir has had health problems recently but the lack of any excitement in any commentary is unfortunately increasingly notable. Fans deserve better than Hall and Pigott.

Back