TV coverage

Enzo gets frustrated when things don't go his way and tips way too many favourites but he is far from the worst on the list.
Bob Cooper is past his sell by date -as a punter there is nothing worse than hearing someone confidently call the result of a photo finish only to get it wrong.I've heard Bob do this in consecutive races and laugh it off -tosser.

Not much of a shakeup is it?

Shows the status of Timeform these days when their star striker jumps ship as a full (after) time analyst.

Enzo gets frustrated when things don't go his way and tips way too many favourites but he is far from the worst on the list.
Bob Cooper is past his sell by date -as a punter there is nothing worse than hearing someone confidently call the result of a photo finish only to get it wrong.I've heard Bob do this in consecutive races and laugh it off -tosser.

Long past his sell by date. Offers nothing.

ITV Racing is, overall, awful.

As I said elsewhere the only good thing about it is the immediate post-race interviews with jockeys/trainers/connections.

The commentators are awful.

The presenters are awful.

Overall, it's all geared far too much towards 'entertaining' the uninitiated rather than informing.

And it probably fails there too.

ITV Racing is, overall, awful.

As I said elsewhere the only good thing about it is the immediate post-race interviews with jockeys/trainers/connections.

The commentators are awful.

The presenters are awful.

Overall, it's all geared far too much towards 'entertaining' the uninitiated rather than informing.

And it probably fails there too.

Nothing to worry about. I'm sure Francesca has been poring over the handicaps for the non triers over the break and is ready to be front and centre bringing her talents and expertise to Cheltenham to rescue the operation.

Yes, how sad is it that ITV appears to feel compelled to employ what I presume to the general public are attractive women (Cumani, Verasami and Pendleton, for example). I suppose Alice Plunkett will appeal as the mid-life-crisis-racing-man's eye candy but I do find her input a positive, even if it is all a bit mumsywumsy.

I don't know if Chamberlin and Shagger Bell are eye candy to the women viewers. I don't recall Mrs O ever breathing heavily upon seeing them on the show, even in the throes of an asthma attack...

I honestly don't know what Luke Harvey has going for him. He's utterly clueless about form and I often wonder about the riding tactics he mentions. He should be on Game for a Laugh. That's maybe his metier.

And obviously I've no idea if any of them would appeal to the pink or rainbow audience.

Clare Balding was the best, I reluctantly have to confess, and much more professional (apart from that unforgivable lapse when talking about (or was it to) the jockey of Mon Mome after he'd won the National). I don't imagine she would ever make that mistake again. It was a shame she became too full of herself.

Last edited:
Clare Balding was terrible. Maybe not initially, but the last decade on BBC was done with one eye on bigger prizes - something she finally faced upto. Dialling it in and looking exasperated at Willie Carson. I'm not sure I've heard Lydia Hislop ever say anything outrageous and is always more knowledgeable and informative than the likes of Mick Fitz etc. The obvious choice if executives wanted a female to lead the tv coverage

100% agree about Lydia Hislop.

I wouldn't be surprised if she has repeatedly turned down commercial TV because it wouldn't be serious enough for her.

Outrageously stupid/dense I mean.

Give me a frueduan slip over the first question asked of derby winner john magnier (pour moi) how it was so disappointing that his horse beat the Queen's. Magnier playing along saved that one. It really was a shame that the others didn't stop for carlton house. Sure, twas only the Derby.

Last edited:
Interesting you should post about the wrong horse winning Hawk Wing.
Memories of Rock Of Gibraltar and High Chaparral !!!
For the wrong horse to win once is unfortunate, for it to happen twice can be considered careless .

Back